***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,547,698 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's just wild to me how we've had so many injury issues, but the oldest and most out of shape catcher has been 100% healthy. He also never needs a day off like the young guys do
BadAggie
AG
redline248 said:

BadAggie said:

Sure you make Maldy go away, but you bring in a vet who's an upgrade
Literally any catcher in MLB is an upgrade, so sure. Just play Diaz

Not every https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/c
jah003
S
tjack16 said:

It's just wild to me how we've had so many injury issues, but the oldest and most out of shape catcher has been 100% healthy. He also never needs a day off like the young guys do
I mean he's never on base, throws out like 5% of runners, and doesn't even have to run from the dugout to home.
agproducer
AG
Guys, Maldy isn't going anywhere. You just need to come to terms with it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yeah but if you're going to use an excuse like "sore legs" for Yordan jogging to and from LF, you can't say the dude squatting behind the plate for the 15th game in a row doesn't need a rest day.
BCEDAg
AG
When Moustakas was recently released and eventually picked up by the Angels, anyone think Dana may have considered going after him? Seems like he would have a home as a DH for us.
AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc said:

BadAggie said:

spadilly said:

Question is how much of their contracts would the Mets be willing to cover. But those would still count against cap?

When Cohen has his presser, someone asked him that question. He says he didn't care about eating the money and as far as he was concerned, he considered the money to have already been spent.

Assuming the price is right, would love to make a trade for JV back to Houston for the second time
W
AG
tjack16 said:

this has bothered me for the last 7 years.

the bad players / underperforming players...never get hurt or tired
AggieJ2002
AG
Prosperdick said:

Should have been a sweep but I'll happily take it.

I thought the same thing, and then I start thinking we just won a series 2-1 where we gave up 25 runs and decided I'm fine with a series win.

If it weren't for series like this would baseball even be baseball? I love this game
NTAS
tjack16 said:

Remember during arbitration when the Astros said Tucker wasn't worth the extra $2.5M
the team always says that. They wanted to hold him at $5 so his progression is

2023 - 5M
2024 - 8M
2025 - 12.5M

This gave them the best chance to get him to sign an extension for 6 years since he got hosed on arbitration. If Astros agree to $7.5M his progression is:

2023 - 7.5M
2024 - 12M
2025 - 16M

Everyone knows he is worth $7.5 per year, he is worth $25 per year. But if you don't sign an extension then you gotta live with arbitration numbers until you can hit FA.
Harry Dunne

Still feeling great about this spectacular play by the best player on the field…then to top it off, a hug from his teammate with a higher OPS than he has.
Post removed:
by user
Jackal99
AG
Did they mention tits and yoga pants?
Ag_07
AG
Tuck made 2 game saving catches because that was a definitely a HR by Moustkas earlier in the game.
PSully97
AG
Breggy has a little over a double the amount of plate appearances that Chas does.

That would project to Chas leading the team in nearly every offensive category, including HR (22), RBI (64) and SB (18).

OFC I don't think he would just double his production with double the ABs, but he's the only guy putting up those type of offensive numbers and platooning with scrubs despite being a good teammate who hustles and plays solid defense.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
tjack16 said:

The ironic part is.. he played hurt through a good chunk of last season and he's been hurt a majority of this year as well. It's bizarre.
Ag_07
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

tjack16 said:

The ironic part is.. he played hurt through a good chunk of last season and he's been hurt a majority of this year as well. It's bizarre.
Farmer1906
AG
Leaders in wRC+ (min 200 PA to include Chas)

1. Judge - 187
2. Seager - 184
3. Ohtani - 179
4. Acuna Jr - 169
5. Alvarez - 166
14. McCormick - 146
22. Tucker - 138
120. Bregman - 108
135. Julks - 104
180. Meyers - 92
185. Dubon - 91
188. Pena - 90
237. Abreu - 77
261. Maldonado - 53

• Altuve (137 wRC+) & Diaz (108) didn't meet the 200 PA min.
  • I think Chas should play every day, no?
  • Abreu sucks but he's improving (46 in Mar/Apr, 55 May, 120 in Jun, & 103 in Jul)
  • Maldy is 3rd from last, ahead of Jurckson Profar & Keke Hernandez
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Ag_07 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

tjack16 said:

2015 mentioned this a while back when Diaz caught a few games in a row
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm becoming more confident that the Astros are going to be aggressive the next couple weeks. I just keep hearing we're working the phones hard. I still think Meyers and/or Julks will 100% get moved. I won't rule out Chas being moved but I know the asking price is much higher than the other two.

I saw the report about Stroman. I'm not surprised we checked in, but I still believe that's a longshot as the asking price will be very high. The interest in Bellinger is 100% real.

I know it seems like we don't have the pieces to make big moves, but there's some intriguing prospects in the lower levels of the farm and guys like Meyers/Julks/France/Blanco with years remaining on their contracts are appealing to small market teams.

Will they make a "splash"? I doubt it. But I do believe they'll add a few pieces that will contribute in a big way down the stretch.
linkdude
AG
Jack Moss getting slot from the Reds. They've got a nice little setup with position players. Need the pitching to stay healthy
MaxPower
Agreed. I do wonder if his performance would improve dramatically if he simply played less often. Or maybe if they just gave him a few weeks off to rest his legs. His swing looks like he doesn't even use his lower half.
MaxPower
Chas should play everyday for sure. Batted ball metrics indicate he's playing way above his head but you ride that out. He does scream sell high so this offseason might be worth exploring options.
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

Chas should play everyday for sure. Batted ball metrics indicate he's playing way above his head but you ride that out. He does scream sell high so this offseason might be worth exploring options.
Yup, his BABIP is .345.

.345 while hitting in the bottom quarter of HH% and EV.
tjack16
AG
linkdude said:

Jack Moss getting slot from the Reds. They've got a nice little setup with position players. Need the pitching to stay healthy

That's disappointing … was hoping getting drafted that late for him would bring him back to Olsen. Especially with the NIL money we could throw at him
tjack16
AG
Chas is the team MVP over the last two weeks.
Wabs
AG
So by the end of the month this team should look pretty different (hopefully). Yordan, Pena, Altuve all should be back. We will most likely pick up another bat (hopefully Bellinger but I'm starting to doubt we get him).

Some variation of the lineup below and let's roll.....

1. Altuve
2. Tucker
3. Yordan
4. Bregman
5. New bat (hopefully Bellinger)
6. Abreu
7. Diaz
8. Pena
9. Chas
bearkatag15
AG
All I do is Nguyen
Tuck would be another option as well.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Johnsy3
AG
I don't think Dusty would ever put Tucker 2nd. I just want to see this lineup once
Altuve DH
Bregman 3B
Yordan LF
Abreu 1B
Tucker RF
Diaz C
Chas CF
Pena SS
Dubon 2B
texasaggie2015
AG
bearkatag15 said:

The chase rate is what's going to define his career. If he can get it to even in the 30 range, he's going to stick around for a long time. The organization is working with him tirelessly on that. That and his overall work ethic and attitude (which has improved drastically) is why Cleveland was willing to part with him.
Johnsy3
AG
bearkatag15 said:

The only red circle Maldy has is pop time and he's in the 76th %
OKCAg2002
AG
Yeah. If I was an opposing pitcher, I'd constantly feed him that high fastball out of the zone. He can't lay off.
Wabs
AG
Johnsy3 said:

I don't think Dusty would ever put Tucker 2nd. I just want to see this lineup once
Altuve DH
Bregman 3B
Yordan LF
Abreu 1B
Tucker RF
Diaz C
Chas CF
Pena SS
Dubon 2B
I like Tucker and Yordan next to each other in the lineup. Gotta make a choice on who you're going to pitch to.
First Page Last Page
Page 1115 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.