***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,547,676 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
JPN06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big boy Kuhnel was recalled on the 8th.

Did anyone here know that? I had never heard of him until tonight.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
JPN06 said:

Big boy Kuhnel was recalled on the 8th.

Did anyone here know that? I had never heard of him until tonight.

The reds dfa'd him earlier in the year. They brought him up right before the break for bullpen depth.
JPN06
Yes, I know all that now, but I don't remember seeing anything about it or discussing it here.
AlwaysNextYear89
AG
We have been so spoiled since 2017. This is what a normal season looks like. You grind. You lose games you should have won (last night) and win some nail biters that should have been decided in the early innings (like tonight). Your pitchers go through stretches of being unhittable, then can't seem to get anyone out.

The fact that we have not had our projected lineup for a single game this year and have missed two important pieces for multiple games AND lost the starters the way we did...it shows the heart of this team. I was thinking during the game how today's starting lineup was all homegrown minus Abreu, Maldy and Dubon. Our Starting pitching is all homegrown. These guys have been together awhile and I think that is a big reason we are only 3 out and not buried in the standings and looking at this season as a lost cause.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

cone said:

Back up the Brinks truck

If we're going to pay someone, why not him?

He actually fits what you'd want for the mega deal. Young, athletic, elite offense and defense, also has been healthy.

Yup. Give the 26 year old 10 years, not the guy nearing or into his 30s. Buy out the 2 years of control.

If only he would do it. Don't think Crane would and I'm even more sure Tucker wouldn't take it if offered. But it won't hurt to try and you make him turn it down.

It takes a special person to turn down 300 M. If push comes to shove, I think that chance wouldn't be 0 that he accepted. Much closer to 50/50. I just don't see Crane ever doing it.

He would turn it down betting on $350 MM. Who knows where salaries will be in 2 years? After someone pays Shohei $500MM, $350MM will be commonplace I'm afraid.
spadilly
S
linkdude
AG
Good ol' Bob's got our back
JPN06
This is what a great season looks like. Every season in which we have won as many games as we are projected to, we have made the postseason.

When you win 100 games a bunch you do get spoiled & forget that 90+ is a great season. The first 30+ years I watched this team play, I only saw 6 of them.

So yeah, I'm not going to bail out when we're 3 games out in mid-July even if the bullpen is a little shaky and I have watched enough ****ty baseball over the years to still appreciate this 2023 squad.
linkdude
AG
Tucker's OPS is tied for 14th in baseball at .867

If McCormick qualified, he would be 11th just behind Juan Soto.

(He might be the guy you can extend before the off-season, and then work on Tucker, Dana!)
JPN06
linkdude said:

(He might be the guy you can extend before the off-season, and then work on Tucker, Dana!)
Farmer, is Chas elite yet?

Or am I still exaggerating?
HTownAg98
Bregxit said:

We have the second best record since 6/25? Doesn't feel loke it!

Scary to think what this team can be like when everyone is healthy. The entire bullpen should be put into a medical coma so they can be fully rested by Tuesday.
BadAggie
AG
spadilly said:

Question is how much of their contracts would the Mets be willing to cover. But those would still count against cap?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BadAggie said:

spadilly said:

Question is how much of their contracts would the Mets be willing to cover. But those would still count against cap?

When Cohen has his presser, someone asked him that question. He says he didn't care about eating the money and as far as he was concerned, he considered the money to have already been spent.
Farmer1906
AG
JPN06 said:

linkdude said:

He's been playing at an elite level recently. Is he elite? Nah. But that's okay. He's probably got some unfavorable regression coming. But I've been on the Chas is a top 10ish CF bandwagon for a minute.
W
AG
Chas update...

in 186 at-bats:

28 runs scored....32 RBI....22 x-base hits

still 11th on the team in at-bats
tjack16
AG
Remember during arbitration when the Astros said Tucker wasn't worth the extra $2.5M
JPN06
Farmer1906 said:

JPN06 said:

linkdude said:

He's been playing at an elite level recently. Is he elite? Nah. But that's okay. He's probably going some unfavorable regression coming. But I've been on the Chas is a top 10ish CF bandwagon for a minute.
I think you're probably right. But he's pretty damn good!
Harry Dunne
JPN06 said:

linkdude said:

100% elite!

Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

I've been on the Chas is a top 10ish CF bandwagon for a minute.
This is true.

But now his OPS is higher than Tucker's. Maybe for just a day, but today Chas is elite.
BadAggie
AG
Would not be surprised to see Astros make move with catcher at the deadline. Maldy isn't throwing out baserunners much this season, he's at half of his career caught stealing %. The Astros were in on Contreras in free agency last winter so they're not oblivious to the need for an upgrade. And with his lack of offensive production hard to justify him remaining the starter. Just feels like the move that'll be made that isn't getting publicity.
Harry Dunne
BadAggie said:

Would not be surprised to see Astros make move with catcher at the deadline. Maldy isn't throwing out baserunners much this season, he's at half of his career caught stealing %. The Astros were in on Contreras in free agency last winter so they're not oblivious to the need for an upgrade. And with his lack of offensive production hard to justify him remaining the starter. Just feels like the move that'll be made that isn't getting publicity.
BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

BadAggie said:

spadilly said:

When Cohen has his presser, someone asked him that question. He says he didn't care about eating the money and as far as he was concerned, he considered the money to have already been spent.

Let's say Mets agree to pay half his contract as part of trade. Does Verlander count $40 mil against cap for team he is traded to or $20 mil?
tjack16
AG
Any chance we see Arrighetti soon? He's been killing it on the mound in AAA
BadAggie
AG
tjack16 said:

Any chance we see Arrighetti soon? He's been killing it on the mound in AAA

Sounds like it, Urquidy won't be ready for a couple weeks and they need fresh arms handling innings now.
BadAggie
AG
Harry Dunne said:

BadAggie said:

So Diaz gets more starts? I'm thinking this will be deal for a catcher to replace Maldy altogether.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This seems good.
redline248
AG
BadAggie said:

Harry Dunne said:

BadAggie said:

So Diaz gets more starts? I'm thinking this will be deal for a catcher to replace Maldy altogether.
If you're Dana Brown, it has to make zero sense to make a trade for a catcher when there is one right there on your roster that is young and cheap, and good. If you're gonna do anything, you ship Maldy out for a middling reliever so Dusty has no choice but to put Diaz behind the plate.
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This seems good.
BadAggie
AG
redline248 said:

BadAggie said:

Harry Dunne said:

BadAggie said:

If you're Dana Brown, it has to make zero sense to make a trade for a catcher when there is one right there on your roster that is young and cheap, and good. If you're gonna do anything, you ship Maldy out for a middling reliever so Dusty has no choice but to put Diaz behind the plate.

If you're Dana Brown you're going to roll with rookies for your starter and backup at C?

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sounds like he's due for a Dusty off-day
redline248
AG
BadAggie said:

redline248 said:

BadAggie said:

Harry Dunne said:

BadAggie said:

If you're Dana Brown you're going to roll with rookies for your starter and backup at C?

Well, I'm not, but Dusty is not cooperating. That's all I'm saying. If Maldy is on the roster, Dusty is going to put him in the lineup. Especially if Valdez or Javier are pitching.
TRM
AG
I don't mind Maldy catching Valdez or Javier. What I mind is Maldy catching 5 out of 6 days.
BadAggie
AG
Sure you make Maldy go away, but you bring in a vet who's an upgrade
redline248
AG
BadAggie said:

Sure you make Maldy go away, but you bring in a vet who's an upgrade
Literally any catcher in MLB is an upgrade, so sure. Just play Diaz
Mathguy64
AG
I know a lot of folks wanted to resign Vazquez.

He actually has a lower OPS than Maldy. He's hit 1 HR all season.
First Page Last Page
Page 1114 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.