***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,553,025 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maroon&Fight said:

Who is gonna be the guy on this team to step up and actually say something? I know I'm not the only one tired of the lolly gagging bs that is displayed night in night out. News flash: if you're trying just hard enough to get into the postseason, you won't make it there

They always say teams eventually take on the personality of their manager
tjack16
AG
Need good Javier back tomorrow.

Win tomorrow, sweep the 2 game set in Colorado and this will be just a bump in the road.
The Beef01
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Aggie8587 said:

Just fire Dusty tonight. There's no reason that man should be employed anywhere in baseball at any level

I don't care for Dusty but I am joy sure there is much he could have done tonight to fix things besides start the best players (Diaz over Maldy).

Your pitching staff kept getting taxed w/ extra pitches where there should've been multiple Ks which weren't called while you had guys getting rung up on pitches out of the zone. (Go back and look at Ward's 1st hit and view the pitches there…he was out)

Anyway, the fact that Dusty ended this game in the dugout is why I'm ready to see his ass gone.

This was probably the worst one from tonight, but there were so many and they were all 1-way and Dusty did nothing to call it out!

agdaddy04
AG
I didn't say prevent it. I meant, put a PH in during a key AB like that where he obviously was uncomfortable and Kd.
cap-n-jack
Dude, what about the no cost moves? Like making Diaz the everyday catcher? That would seem like a good place to start,
W
AG
Dana can DFA Machete to force Yanier into the everyday lineup
AggiEE
Beat40 said:

Aggie8587 said:

Just fire Dusty tonight. There's no reason that man should be employed anywhere in baseball at any level

Tell me what in the hell Dusty was to do with that tonight. All of the reliable guys completely screwed up. If you can't trust Framber, Abreu, and Pressly to protect 6 and 3 run lead respectively, what the hell can you do?

Dusty continues to start Maldonado

Therefore he should be fired

Dana needs to DFA Maldy tomorrow. Bad defense. Bad offense. No data that suggests pitchers do better with him

Worthless turd sitting in our lineup and behind the plate
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Everyone calling for Dana to do something is cracking me up. He's working the phones hard. The asking prices right now are astronomical. Moves will be made. It's just a matter of time.

Wellwearewaiting,gif
Beat40
Wabs said:

Dana. Time to become the GM of the Astros.

What are you actually willing to give up to significantly fix the Astros two major problem areas this season when there are others, even within our win division, trying to fill the exact same needs?

This trade deadline is going to be incredibly difficult.

The Astros HAVE to have CJ return to form and NEED Hunter to step up the remainder of the season.
tjack16
AG
agdaddy04
AG
Maldy actually got us back in the game tonight until another inexcusable past ball.
Beau Holder
AG
tjack16 said:

Need good Javier back tomorrow.

Win tomorrow, sweep the 2 game set in Colorado and this will be just a bump in the road.

Then the A's.

5-2 needs to be the absolute floor for the next seven games.
Maroon&Fight
It also seems like these types of games this year come on the heels of an Arlington win. This season is like stubbing your toe, getting that pain to go down, then immediately jamming your leg into the corner of the table
AggiEE
Beat40 said:

Wabs said:

What are you actually willing to give up to significantly fix the Astros two major problem areas this season when there are others, even within our win division, trying to fill the exact same needs?

The Astros HAVE to have CJ return to form and NEED Hunter to step up the remainder of the season.

We need to give up Maldy for a pack of toothpicks for Dusty to chew on and we'd immediately improve as a team without having to give anyone up
agproducer
AG
If Javier struggles tomorrow, he's just going to have to wear it. The pen is on fumes.
Boiling Denim
Is this the most runs we've given up with our ace on the mound
wangus12
AG
Beat40 said:

Wabs said:

I'm willing to give up Dusty and Maldy. Addition by subtraction
Post removed:
by user
The Beef01
AG
All emotion aside, is there a worse every day catcher in baseball right now than Maldy?

The staff ERA is soaring with him behind the plate, his defensive has massively regressed, everyone runs on him and he probably won't get close to the Mendoza line again this season.
Beat40
agdaddy04 said:

I didn't say prevent it. I meant, put a PH in during a key AB like that where he obviously was uncomfortable and Kd.

For Madris? Hensley? Kessinger?

All that was need from Peña was a deep enough fly ball.
texasaggie2015
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Dude, what about the no cost moves? Like making Diaz the everyday catcher? That would seem like a good place to start,

I get it, but the most games Diaz has got in a year is around 50-60. Someone fact check me. I think that's a lot to do with why he doesn't catch more often.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but I know they don't want to throw him in the fire. I would be 100% down to cut Maldy and bring in literally any other catcher. Or split time. I just don't see that happening unfortunately. I wish I had answers as to why our staff loves him so much.
cc10106
agproducer said:

If Javier struggles tomorrow, he's just going to have to wear it. The pen is on fumes.

According to Dana, he just needed some rest. We'll see. Deadline moves won't matter much unless Javier and Brown turn it around.
Beat40
AggiEE said:

Beat40 said:

Wabs said:

We need to give up Maldy for a pack of toothpicks for Dusty to chew on and we'd immediately improve as a team without having to give anyone up

That still doesn't fix the problems this team has. Not even close.

I don't think Maldy should be the starting catcher, but I don't think the season should be hung around his neck.
Kashchei
AG
Marvin said:

Kashchei said:

I keep waiting for Dana to do something.

What is he supposed to do? Despite what you read on this forum, the farm is trash. There are no difference makers within two years of contributing. Anybody with a pulse has been given a shot.

I'm waiting for him to reign Dusty in. If he is indeed Dusty's boss he needs to tell him to start Yainer and Chas every damn game and staple Maldy to the bench for starters. If that doesn't work, pull a Click and take the old man's toys away. DFA Maldy and Madris.
AggiEE
texasaggie2015 said:

cap-n-jack said:

I get it, but the most games Diaz has got in a year is around 50-60. Someone fact check me. I think that's a lot to do with why he doesn't catch more often.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but I know they don't want to throw him in the fire. I would be 100% down to cut Maldy and bring in literally any other catcher. Or split time. I just don't see that happening unfortunately. I wish I had answers as to why our staff loves him so much.

Even Diaz catching 50% of the time would be an improvement

That's what everyone thought at the start of the season
texasaggie2015
AG
Add a bullpen arm or two and a starter. Get Yordan and Altuve back. Maybe another bat. This team will look different in a hurry. Let's all just take a breath.
texasaggie2015
AG
I don't disagree
Aggie8587
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Add a bullpen arm or two and a starter. Get Yordan and Altuve back. Maybe another bat. This team will look different in a hurry. Let's all just take a breath.
The roster will look markedly better, yes. The real problem though is that Dusty Baker will still be managing them
agdaddy04
AG
Looking back at the replay, even though ball was off target, Im a little surprised Abreu didn't get to it.
Beat40
AggiEE said:

texasaggie2015 said:

cap-n-jack said:

Even Diaz catching 50% of the time would be an improvement

That's what everyone thought at the start of the season

But it's not even close to the biggest issue this team has. Everyone wants Maldy gone like that move is going to make all the starters go 6-7 innings per game to save the bullpen.

It's not, and that's the biggest issue this team has.

I'm not saying don't improve it. I'm saying you guys are scapegoating Maldy big time.
Mathguy64
AG
So the injury talley is:

Framber
Garcia
Urquidy
Lance

Altuve
Yordan
Brantley
Possibly Abreu and Peña.

That's spectacular.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40
Kashchei said:

Marvin said:

Kashchei said:

I keep waiting for Dana to do something.

What is he supposed to do? Despite what you read on this forum, the farm is trash. There are no difference makers within two years of contributing. Anybody with a pulse has been given a shot.

I'm waiting for him to reign Dusty in. If he is indeed Dusty's boss he needs to tell him to start Yainer and Chas every damn game and staple Maldy to the bench for starters. If that doesn't work, pull a Click and take the old man's toys away. DFA Maldy and Madris.

How does he do that without fracturing the relationship? He sent Salazar down, and Dusty got the message, but it was with Diaz ar DH with Yordan hurt.

I am getting close to being confident Click's move to move Straw against Dusty's wishes (it was the right move) played a bigger role in getting himself fired.

Dana has a personal line he has to walk too. You guys think this **** is simple. There are some damn big egos in the Astros' front office between Crane and Dusty, and I think Crane will side with Dusty 80-90% of the time.
kb2001
AG
I get the usual complaints about Maldy, and the PB was inexcusable, but he was 2 for 5 tonight with a run and 2 RBIs to retake the lead. Stanek came in with bases empty needing 2 outs to get out of the inning, and he couldn't do it, letting 3 on. Abreu gives up a 3-run HR in 2 pitches before getting an out. Pressly gave up 4 straight hits including a HR in the 9th, losing a 3 run lead. The complaints should be directed towards the bullpen.

We can ***** about Dusty also, but what other weapons do we have in the bullpen? Our best bullpen guys last season are not pitching well.

Face it, we all knew when Brent Strom left after the 2021 season that our pitching might take a step back. It has, it's starting to show, and it's been a major problem this season. Despite injuries, starting pitching has been serviceable, it's the bullpen that's bad
Beat40
Aggie8587 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

The roster will look markedly better, yes. The real problem though is that Dusty Baker will still be managing them

So much drama.

The real problem is the Astros only have one starter that can consistently go 6!
First Page Last Page
Page 1088 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.