***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,558,505 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To me, Dubon is this year's version of 2017 Marwin and 2022 Aledmys Diaz. Do we win titles without those guys? Hard to say but I'd rather not take the risk.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Red Sox could be interested in Dubon

Dubon for Verdugo straight up. Who says no?
I'd do it so long as we make a low key corresponding trade to acquire a serviceable middle infield depth guy. Even if just through the end of the year. Then re-assess this offseason.
Ag_07
AG
Dubon is a Dusty guy through and through

If that deal would happen we may as well trade Chas and Diaz cause no way they'll ever see the field again.
jetch17
AG
ready to have a ballgame back on the TV tonight
Beat40
I really hope the Astros take advantage of the July schedule and overtake the Rangers. Especially with Yordan coming back soon and Altuve soon after.
Harry Dunne
We are back to being the favorites to win the West on draftkings. Opened the season at -215 (rangers +900!), hit our low of +240 on June 24th (rangers -150).

Now we're at -115 (rangers +135). Most of the other books have us as slight underdogs or pick 'em. ESPN has the Rangers winning 95 games and us 91. Fangraphs has the rangers winning 87.7 games and us 87.6!

I think our guys that have done it before are going to fare better than their guys that haven't and we win in a close race, but it's going to be an interesting one for the first time in a while!
redline248
AG
Let's all take a moment to gaze in wonder at the complete 180 this thread, myself as much or more than others, has had in regards to opinions on Dubon.
Harry Dunne
Wabs said:

To me, Dubon is this year's version of 2017 Marwin and 2022 Aledmys Diaz. Do we win titles without those guys? Hard to say but I'd rather not take the risk.
Aledmys was 1-15 in the playoffs and was mediocre during the season. We would have been fine without him.

Marwin is a different story, but the main difference there is that we had capable bats on the bench. I like the idea of selling high on Dubon, but our bench sucks so badly that it doesn't make sense to do that.
texasaggie2015
AG
But his ability to play different positions and allow guys to rest was extremely valuable down the stretch.
Harry Dunne
texasaggie2015 said:

But his ability to play different positions and allow guys to rest was extremely valuable down the stretch.
Yeah, but he wasn't much better than replacement level. Dubon (even though he was bad last year) wasn't much of a drop-off from Aledmys on offense and better on defense.

Dubon this year is a level better than anything else we have or could pick up for cheap.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne
BTW I think we are on the same page. I think Dubon is essential to a 2nd half run.

The only difference is that I'm saying Aledmys was not, both because he wasn't as good as 2023 Dubon and because we had the depth to easily replace him.
Ag_07
AG
Completely irrelevant but I heard it talked about on the radio as I was out for lunch.

Straight up...Pena for Ohtani

Who says no?
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

Completely irrelevant but I heard it talked about on the radio as I was out for lunch.

Who says no?
The Angels?
W
AG
Dubon was 1 for 16 vs. Seattle --- completely overmatched by higher level pitching

hopefully he gets back to pounding the cupcakes after the break. Has great numbers vs. the Angels and Rockies
W
AG
speaking of Pena...

he needs to pick it up in the second half to show improvement from his rookie year

2022 ---> .715 OPS and OPS+ of 101

2023 ---> .700 OPS and OPS+ of 93

Ag_07
AG
W said:

speaking of Pena...

he needs to be put back in the 2 hole

FIFY
texasaggie2015
AG
Ag_07 said:

W said:

speaking of Pena...

he needs to be put back in the 2 hole

FIFY
Gross
Mathguy64
AG
Peña needs to be in the 2 hole and take the first pitch.

BMX Bandit
Ag_07 said:

Who says no?

Was this on High Times Radio?
superaggie73
AG
Ag_07 said:

Who says no?

If we are trading Peña, I would want to do something a little more realistic like Peña, Chas, Leon, Lee, and 2 pitching prospects not named Hunter Brown for Tim Anderson, Robert, and Giolito. Still not even sure Chicago does that. Just trying to take Anderson off their hands for Peña might be appealing to them.
Mathguy64
AG
In 2023 Tim Anderson has a WAR of -1.7 and an OPS+ of 46. Take out what he did to us the first week of the season and imagine how much worse those numbers would be.

Hard pass.
superaggie73
AG
Mathguy64 said:

In 2023 Tim Anderson has a WAR of -1.7 and an OPS+ of 46. Take out what he did to us the first week of the season and imagine how much worse those numbers would be.

Hard pass.

I agree he's one of the worst in the league now, but you are also getting Robert in the deal and hoping Anderson can turn back into his former self. Peña isn't exactly giving us a lot right now anyways.
BMX Bandit
Apparently Robert is one of 4 on their "untradeable" list.
Ag_07
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Ag_07 said:

Who says no?

Was this on High Times Radio?

610..So yes

They were also saying that it would take 2 top 30 prospects and 2 MLB prospects and they'd give LAA anyone but Yordan, Tucker, or Framber for Ohtani.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
superaggie73 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Hard pass.

I agree he's one of the worst in the league now, but you are also getting Robert in the deal and hoping Anderson can turn back into his former self. Peña isn't exactly giving us a lot right now anyways.
Are we trying to be the Houston White Sox?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Ratings mean nothing
Frok
AG
Translation: Draft order is all that matters so Baseball America inserted all the high draft picks automatically into the top prospects list which bumped out the older high draft picks that didn't make it.
Jackal99
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Ratings mean nothing
You can almost sense the smug excitement in his stupid ****ing tweet.
texasaggie2015
AG
What? Lmao he's literally doing his job....

I get why he annoys some of you, but come on. This is a stretch.
texasaggie2015
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Ratings mean nothing

This is why it's worth reporting on. He's not smiling and loving every second of tweeting that.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

What? Lmao he's literally doing his job....

I get why he annoys some of you, but come on. This is a stretch.
MaxPower
Ag_07 said:

Dubon is a Dusty guy through and through

If that deal would happen we may as well trade Chas and Diaz cause no way they'll ever see the field again.
So trading Dubon would piss off Dusty? I'm really warming up to this idea….
Marvin
AG
I'd trade Dubon. I think his pumpkin struck midnight several weeks ago. Or whatever that phrase is.

If he would embrace going oppo I would be all in, but I don't see that happening. His spray chart is now a solid cone around shortstop.

He hit three homers in early June and decided he was a power hitter. He isn't, and his on base percentage has dropped every month this season, sitting below .300 since May. He is not Altuve but swings like it.

He was great as an early season replacement, but this is the dictionary definition of selling high. Do it.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
texasaggie2015
AG
Dubon doesn't have to produce anywhere close to the level he produced in the first half to provide tremendous value. He has team control and can play all over the field. That's a valuable piece.

From what I've seen, his adjustments are for real. Is he a .300 hitter? No.. but if he can hit .250 and play all over the field, that's really all we need.

I haven't heard about Dubon as far as the trade market goes. It doesn't mean it's not possible.
First Page Last Page
Page 1047 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.