***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,558,858 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

2022 NYY JMo - 3.69 ERA, 3.91 FIP, 1.099 WHIP (excluding his very good STL run)

2023 CLE Bieber - 3.77 ERA, 4.14 FIP, 1.248 WHIP
not a relevant comparison.

it only matters what the player is to the team he is on.

Beiber is a key piece of any playoff run for Cleveland. Montgomery was not for NY

Quote:

So they unload guys while they still have value (basically the entire 2017 Indians staff, Lindor, etc).
which were unloaded in season while team in playoff hunt?

It is relevant even if it is not exactly perfectly 110% the same scenario.

Between Bibee, Civale, Allen, Quantrill, & McKenzie the Gaurds are fully stocked with arms as capable as Bieber.

And yes, those trades were made midseason during a pennate chase.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Hell we traded our starting CFer while we were in contention.*
This needs a Dusty Asterisk
texasaggie2015
AG
And again, Bieber is no longer an ace. I really don't see the Astros giving up any assets for him based off what I've seen.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

And again, Bieber is no longer an ace. I really don't see the Astros giving up any assets for him based off what I've seen.
Yup.

I was shocked when someone posted his baseball savant a few weeks (months) ago.

Which Player would you rather start a postseason game?

Blanco

Bieber
texasaggie2015
AG
This could absolutely be a scenario where Cleveland thinks Bieber is done and they want to get something for him while they can. That's not unreasonable. They would be fine without him.

But again, based off Farmer's above post and what I've seen out of Bieber this year, I don't see Houston giving up any assets for him.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Hell we traded our starting CFer while we were in contention.*
This needs a Dusty Asterisk

You always wanna get caught up in the semantics
cc10106
BCEDAg said:

So Dana is focusing on a SP? Let's get Giolito.
Sean made him pick one area he would like to upgrade with his question this morning, but I agree and wonder what the Astros could do with Lucas. I saw he's getting divorced so he might need a change of scenery and wanna come here.
agproducer
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

OKCAg2002 said:

No way we sign Ohtani, but is there even a REMOTE possibility we rent him? He pretty much checks every single box we need. The Angels aren't in a position to demand a ton because no team is going to part with their top notch prospects for a wild gamble he resigns.
No. This is not happening. I don't know why this keeps getting brought up haha
Considering all the talk we've had -- especially about Tuck not resigning -- I find it strange that the story about Ohtani came out.

Also, there is no way we should trade for Shohei or even try to sign him. His contract would cause trouble signing others.
redline248
AG
Quote:

That was me and I was comparing him to Brandon Bielak
texasaggie2015
AG
They were going around asking guys to give their pitch. It's a non-story.
redline248
AG
Ok, since we're talking Guardians starters...how hard would it be to acquire Gavin Williams from them? Like, that would be similar to someone asking for Hunter Brown, right?
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

That was me and I was comparing him to Brandon Bielak
Its not that far off. IDK if that's good for Bielak and bad for Bieber. Probably both.

Looking at Bieber, the fastball keeps getting slower and slower. He's using it less and less for obvious reasons. The cutter has been getting hit harder than ever. And now his secondary stuff is getting less and less swing and miss.

He's always been a guy to get hit hard, but he strike out so many it didn't matter. Now his K% has dipped under 20%.

If we trying to pull a SP from Cleveland, I would prefer Civale. He's a little better and has another year of control. Plus we wouldn't have to pay for his "name" like a Bieber might.

We should probably set our sights on the Cubs, Cards, or White Sox pitching options.
agproducer
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

They were going around asking guys to give their pitch. It's a non-story.
Eh, ok. THAT makes sense.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Ok, since we're talking Guardians starters...how hard would it be to acquire Gavin Williams from them? Like, that would be similar to someone asking for Hunter Brown, right?
Yup. I don't think Brown quite got as high as him rankings wise but Brown also has some big league tape showing he's sticking.
texasaggie2015
AG
Imagine if I told you before the season started that Bielak and Bieber would be very comparable.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
It probably (very likely) won't come into play, but we have about 14 M in play before we reach the luxury tax. With only about 1/3 of the season left after the deadline, we can take on guys making a total of about 42 M without sending out some money. While we dream up ideas, don't be scared of 2023 payroll.
Mathguy64
AG
So you are saying we can afford JV without hitting the tax limit.
Wabs
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So you are saying we can afford JV without hitting the tax limit.
Or Scherzer
redline248
AG
I was wondering about Scherzer yesterday. He's in the final year of his deal (I think). Are the Mets going to turn into sellers?
tjack16
AG
Scherzer would be awesome. We need the Mets to keep losing though
Wabs
AG
redline248 said:

I was wondering about Scherzer yesterday. He's in the final year of his deal (I think). Are the Mets going to turn into sellers?
I think he has one more year (through 2024).
Wabs
AG
My prediction is the Mariners will make a strong offer for Ohtani and the Yankees will make one for Juan Soto. Whether the Angels and Padres will go for it, who knows.
Faustus
Ag_07 said:

You'd be OK giving up all that even Hunter Brown for a couple months of Ohtani?

Man...That's a lot
Maybe they'd let us trade Herschel Walker to them and call it even.
linkdude
AG
Great thread from Astros legend Kent Emanuel.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs said:

redline248 said:

I think he has one more year (through 2024).

I think it's an option, and he has a full no trade clause, so he can shoot it down if he doesn't want to come here.
redline248
AG
I didn't read it all, but the part about the zone being the back of the plate seems to be a pretty big mistake.
Farmer1906
AG

Keith Law hating on our draft.
redline248
AG
Speaking of hating, I had a Ranger buddy tell me yesterday that the Astros aren't hated by baseball fans.
cc10106
Yeah and the Astros are Manfred's favorite team according to some bozos.
Wabs
AG
redline248 said:

Speaking of hating, I had a Ranger buddy tell me yesterday that the Astros aren't hated by baseball fans.
LOL. We've essentially have replaced the Yankees as the "evil empire".

And I'm ok with that.
W
AG
regarding Keith Law...

recall that in January 2019...he published his top 100 MLB prospects for 2019...

Forrest Whitley was #4 on his list

Yordan was unranked
texasaggie2015
AG
It was certainly an unexciting draft in terms of names, but keep in mind Dana Brown and the Astros scouting department have put in hours and hours more time than Keith Law scouting these guys.
W
AG
agproducer said:

Tucker making a pitch to Ohtani?

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/astros-shohei-ohtani-free-agency-18196606.php

Kyle Tucker gives Shohei Ohtani Astros' impressive free-agency pitch
Houston's lone All-Star participant made quite the pitch to the presumptive MVP.
By Michael ShapiroUpdated July 12, 2023 10:30 a.m.

Houston Astros outfielder Kyle Tucker is no stranger to facing off against Shohei Ohtani. On Monday, Tucker made his pitch to bring the two-way phenom and presumptive American League MVP to Houston.

"Houston is a really good spot. I love playing there," Tucker told Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times. "We play indoors. Really good food. No income tax. We've got a really good team. That should speak for itself."

small positive in hearing Tucker acknowledge the state income tax advantage
cc10106
If nothing else, it's fun to imagine Mariners *(plus Angels and Dodgers) fans' heads exploding if Ohtani ended up in Houston.
First Page Last Page
Page 1040 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.