***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,460,851 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RyanC said:

While we're debating the merits of the DH, I'd like to see what would've happened if they had tied the DH to the starting pitcher; i.e. when the starter leaves you either sub the active DH to the field or lose them as well. That would've preserved NL style managerial decisions around double switches and when to pull pitchers while not leaving an automatic out in the lineup.
One of Manfred's new (stupid) ideas that they're trying out in one of their experimental leagues this year is if the starter doesn't go 5 innings, then you lose the DH once he leaves the game. Like every other idea he has, worst idea ever.
W
AG
yes indeed.

Berkman had a career playoff OPS of .949...in 224 postseason plate appearances (186 at-bats)
SpaceCityAg05
AG
No doubt. While Marvin's criteria was to consider any player whose number is not retired, it is hard to call someone who would make the All-Time Astros lineup card an underrated player/

Which by the way, that one is always fun and came up not too long back around here. If the rule was to assemble an all-time Astros lineup where a player had to play a minimum of three seasons here and you had to take the totality of their work (not just one peak season, for example), AND you cannot cheat by shoehorning a player into a position other than their primary one(s). This last one is the tough one for me as an Astros fan and such a big Biggio fan because while I still put him in the lineup as C (Altuve gets the nod at 2B), Biggio's bat was not special as a C (which is why I put him at the bottom of the hypothetical order).

For me, I would go:
CF Cesar Cedeno
2B Jose Altuve
LF Lance Berkman
1B Jeff Bagwell
DH Yordan Alvarez
RF George Springer
3B Alex Bregman
SS Carlos Correa
C Craig Biggio

Bench: Jason Castro, Kyle Tucker, Moises Alou, and Bill Spiers

SP Justin Verlander
SP Roy Oswalt
SP Nolan Ryan
SP Roger Clemens
SP JR Richard
Bullpen: Billy Wagner, Dave Smith, Joe Sambito, Ryan Pressly, Octavio Dotel, Mike Scott, Joe Niekro
RyanC
AG
It would cut down on the use of the opener for sure
Beat40
RyanC said:

It would cut down on the use of the opener for sure
Which is currently running rampant in MLB right now, you know?
Marvin
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

No doubt. While Marvin's criteria was to consider any player whose number is not retired, it is hard to call someone who would make the All-Time Astros lineup card an underrated player/

Which by the way, that one is always fun and came up not too long back around here. If the rule was to assemble an all-time Astros lineup where a player had to play a minimum of three seasons here and you had to take the totality of their work (not just one peak season, for example), AND you cannot cheat by shoehorning a player into a position other than their primary one(s). This last one is the tough one for me as an Astros fan and such a big Biggio fan because while I still put him in the lineup as C (Altuve gets the nod at 2B), Biggio's bat was not special as a C (which is why I put him at the bottom of the hypothetical order).

For me, I would go:
CF Cesar Cedeno
2B Jose Altuve
LF Lance Berkman
1B Jeff Bagwell
DH Yordan Alvarez
RF George Springer
3B Alex Bregman
SS Carlos Correa
C Craig Biggio

SP Justin Verlander
SP Roy Oswalt
SP Nolan Ryan
SP Roger Clemens
SP JR Richard
Bullpen: Billy Wagner, Dave Smith, Joe Sambito, Ryan Pressly, Octavio Dotel, Mike Scott, Joe Niekro

Hey, you build your Mr. Rushmore on your own property.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

For me, I would go:
CF Cesar Cedeno
2B Jose Altuve
LF Lance Berkman
1B Jeff Bagwell
DH Yordan Alvarez
RF George Springer
3B Alex Bregman
SS Carlos Correa
C Craig Biggio

SP Justin Verlander
SP Roy Oswalt
SP Nolan Ryan
SP Roger Clemens
SP JR Richard

I do like this exercise, though. Since I'm stuck in an airport I might give this some barstool thought.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Yes...it is the ultimate offday/offseason filler - the kind of thing that Rangers fans can do in October.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I was trying to watch the Hooks game online and randomly noticed Seth Beer is in AA…ouch. Not long after we traded him he was in the majors. Can't believe he has dropped to AA
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I was trying to watch the Hooks game online and randomly noticed Seth Beer is in AA…ouch. Not long after we traded him he was in the majors. Can't believe he has dropped to AA
To be fair, he was in the majors with the Diamondbacks who were picking up losses left and right.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Rays ace injured
Marvin
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

This is why I try to never overvalue farm talent. You just never know. "Oh, they gave up too much. The cost was too high." How can you know? I'll take the big league producer over multiple lottery tickets every time, with the only caveat being that you need a lot of them. Don't include too many prospects at once, which is a different mindset from thinking they might grow into something. Their value is in the potential that other teams perceive.
Beat40
Sucks for him. For his sake I hope it isn't major.
tjack16
AG
All time Astros lineup for me

1. Biggio - C
2. Altuve - 2B
3. Springer - CF
4. Alvarez - LF
5. Bagwell - 1B
6. Berkman - DH
7. Cruz - RF
8. Bregman - 3B
9. Correa - SS

Rotation (going with the 6 man)
Verlander
Cole
Oswalt
Ryan
Scott
Clemens
bigjag19
AG
tjack16 said:

1. Biggio - C
2. Altuve - 2B
3. Springer - CF
4. Alvarez - LF
5. Bagwell - 1B
6. Berkman - DH
7. Cruz - RF
8. Bregman - 3B
9. Correa - SS

Verlander
Cole
Oswalt
Ryan
Scott
Clemens

Where to begin…

Minimum swap Berkman and Alvarez positions. Cam at 3 over Breg.

Pitching wise, JR has to be in there. Not sure who over. RJ could be argued too. I assume we are only talking about performance as an Astro.
redline248
AG
Statistically, Bregman has been much better than Caminiti was as an Astro
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
How about Bill Doran and Glenn Davis
redline248
AG
I loved both of them when I was a little kid
McInnis
AG
Porkchop always had good input on these discussions. Anyone know if he's ok?
tjack16
AG
bigjag19 said:

tjack16 said:

1. Biggio - C
2. Altuve - 2B
3. Springer - CF
4. Alvarez - LF
5. Bagwell - 1B
6. Berkman - DH
7. Cruz - RF
8. Bregman - 3B
9. Correa - SS

Verlander
Cole
Oswalt
Ryan
Scott
Clemens

Where to begin…

Minimum swap Berkman and Alvarez positions. Cam at 3 over Breg.

Pitching wise, JR has to be in there. Not sure who over. RJ could be argued too. I assume we are only talking about performance as an Astro.

I'm taking them on their "best seasons as an Astro" so for Bregman it's like 2018-2019.

And yeah Caminiti didn't exactly put up great numbers really any season as an Astro. His one all star season he had an .840 OPS
Marvin
AG
Can Bregman hold Caminiti's bong with respect to defense? I say no.
McInnis
AG
In last year's SI commemorative World Series edition they had a section featuring the Astros All Time team and they had Jim Wynn over Berkman in the OF. That kind surprised me.
Johnsy3
AG
redline248 said:

Statistically, Bregman has been much better than Caminiti was as an Astro

Caminiti didn't get on roids til after he left. Same with Gonzo and others
iamtheglove
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

Caminiti: .946% fielding

Bregman: .967% fielding
agdaddy04
AG
Cami had the gun and got to some amazing line drives down the line. Besides that Bregman has him hands down.
Johnsy3
AG

Piss. Missile.
iamtheglove
scd88 said:

jah003 said:

Absolutely no way this will bite them in the ass at all.

This is a sports network talking shlt?

OKCAg2002
AG
Unrelated to Astros talk, but this Wake Forrest vs. LSU game has been awesome. 0-0 in bottom of the 10th.

I'm kind of surprised that nobody mentioned Billy Spiers as an underrated player. He was great on those late 90s teams.

Edit: one of the rare bright spots from the 90s postseason when Spiers walked off game 2 in the 1998 ALDS against Trevor Hoffman.

And I vaguely remember this. Spiers attacked in Milwaukee.
https://www.mlb.com/news/bill-spiers-strange-brawl-with-berley-visgar
tjack16
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

Unrelated to Astros talk, but this Wake Forrest vs. LSU game has been awesome. 0-0 in bottom of the 10th.

I'm kind of surprised that nobody mentioned Billy Spiers as an underrated player. He was great on those late 90s teams.

Skenes will likely be in the bigs this time next year. It'll be interesting to see who gets him. Rangers have the 4th pick so hopefully he goes before that
Farmer1906
AG
I don't think he gets past 2.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I don't think he gets past 2.

Would him and Crews be the first teammates to go 1 and 2 in a draft?
Harry Dunne
Giner-falafel pitching for the Yankees, down 10-0 to the Mariners.
Harry Dunne
1-2-3 inning on 9 pitches with a K. They should prolly be pitching Giner more often.
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

Marvin said:

Caminiti: .946% fielding

Bregman: .967% fielding

Lies, damn lies, and stats. Or something like that. No way anyone that watched these two in person in their primes would take Bregman over Cam. No way.

I'll die on this hill.
First Page Last Page
Page 793 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.