***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,460,192 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
MosesHallRAB04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

There are some who don't trust Pressly.

To be fair he had a stretch of 5-7 straight appearances allowing runs. He did have a funky stretch very recently.
jah003
S
At least we got Wake and LSU tonight.
Harry Dunne
I really wish we had a game tonight. I feel like we've got good mojo.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Beat40 said:

No. We NEED a closer.

Sarcasm I hope
Sarcasm indeed.

I think Pressly, along with every other reliever, has stretches where he hasn't been as dominate. However, the difference for me with him is I believe his lasts shorter than others.

I'm not worried about Pressly, Abreu, or Neris.
jah003
S
Absolutely no way this will bite them in the ass at all.
jkag89
jah003 said:

At least we got Wake and LSU tonight.
I would have been happier if the swamp kitties lost last night.
Beat40
Pretty confident being up 5.5 in June with the injuries to the line-up the Astros have had.

They better hope their starting pitching doesn't regress at all. Or their line-up.

They really should take note of what happened to the Yankees last year around the turn of July...
Harry Dunne
Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

Beat40 said:

No. We NEED a closer.

Sarcasm I hope
Sarcasm indeed.

I think Pressly, along with every other reliever, has stretches where he hasn't been as dominate. However, the difference for me with him is I believe his lasts shorter than others.

Pressly is pitching at a lower level than he has in the past. Maybe it's fatigue from the WBC or maybe just age catching up to him. I'm not saying he's done being an effective closer, but the results are what they are and half a season is a pretty large sample.
tjack16
AG
Can't believe I'm rooting for the Yankees this weekend.
Beat40
Harry Dunne said:

Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

Beat40 said:

No. We NEED a closer.

Sarcasm I hope
Sarcasm indeed.

Pressly is pitching at a lower level than he has in the past. Maybe it's fatigue from the WBC or maybe just age catching up to him. I'm not saying he's done being an effective closer, but the results are what they are and half a season is a pretty large sample.
All of it possible. Relievers are finicky.

Guys, and teams, have turned it around for a whole second half of the season in the past.

We shall see!
Ag_07
AG
Pressly has always had kind of a ho-hum stretches in the dog days but handles his shlt when it's nut cutting time.
Harry Dunne
I always think of Tony Sipp, fluctuating between spectacular and below average every other year.
Farmer1906
AG
America's Closer since Joing the Astros
  • 2.49 ERA
  • 2.38 FIP
  • 0.941 WHIP
  • 11.6 SO/9
  • 242.1 Innings over 4.5 seasons.

Since 2019 Ryan Pressly ranks 3rd in WAR for relief pitchers. He only trails Liam Hendricks & Josh Hader.

He has given up 0 ER in his last 15 postseason appearances.

He led all pitchers in WPA for the 2022 WS & ALCS.

From 21-23, he's 6th in Saves yet 39th in blown saves. Only Josh Hader has fewer (8 vs 9) and moves saves.

Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I always think of Tony Sipp, fluctuating between spectacular and below average every other year.
You think of Tony Sipp when you need a comp for Pressly?

tjack16
AG
jah003 said:

Rangers have such easier lives than us. For example, I have a really hard time each day because I want to wear Astros merchandise but I cant decide on which World Series I should wear… since they're all so recent. I have a lot of options! Can't ever decide.

Rangers don't have to deal with that since 2010-2011 was so long ago.
Marvin
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Marvin said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

You're missing that if Diaz is at DH and gets inserted in a catcher the pitcher that he is DHing for is out of the game. That is a major issue if it happens early. It's more than just having the pitchers spot hit the rest of the game.

And the answer is to just play Diaz at catcher and sit maldy then when Diaz needs a rest once a week let maldy catch framber if he insists on it.

I do not think that is a true statement. Diaz would remain in the same spot on the card and enter the game defensively. Maldy would exit the game and also the lineup card. The pitcher of record would be inserted into the lineup in place of Maldy (#9 spot) and remain in the game.

You are incorrect. The DH is in the lineup for a certain person. They can not be moved to another slot in the lineup. This is why they created the Ohtani rule where he effectively DH's for himself allowing him to remain the DH when he (P) is removed from the game.

If your DH is burned and inserted into the game the person he is DHing for is also burned or vice versa, if you are DH's for a pitcher and you decide you want the pitcher to hit the DH can be removed and the pitcher is not batting for himself in that spot

It's not another slot in the lineup. The pitcher does not have one. When a position player leaves and the DH enters the game, the pitcher assumes that vacated spot.

According the rule book I just read, but maybe I am wrong. It's been known to happen.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG

Hidalgo and Wandy are good picks. I was born in 1993 so my window is only about 30 years.

I'd go Hunter Pence, Morgan Ensburg, 2015 Postseason Colby Rasmus, and Brian McCann
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

No, I think of Tony Sipp when someone says "relievers are finicky".

But of course you knew that and are just being a dick because how dare someone not share your opinion.

Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

But of course you knew that and are just being a dick because how dare someone not share your opinion.

My opinion that Pressly and Sipp are dissimilar?
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

No, your opinion that there is nothing wrong with Pressly.

Do you have any other rhetorical questions or can we just do the usual agree to disagree?
Mr.Bond
AG
tjack16 said:

Hidalgo and Wandy are good picks. I was born in 1993 so my window is only about 30 years.

I'd go Hunter Pence, Morgan Ensburg, 2015 Postseason Colby Rasmus, and Brian McCann

Ole Luke GregerSuck
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

scd88
AG
jah003 said:

This is a sports network talking shlt?
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

No, your opinion that there is nothing wrong with Pressly.

Do you have any other rhetorical questions or can we just do the usual agree to disagree?
I am going to have to ask you to stop putting words in my mouth.

Is Pressly one of the best closers in baseball? Absolutely.

Is Pressly flawless? Recently in the postseason he has been, but, no, he is not.
Marvin
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Marvin said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

You're missing that if Diaz is at DH and gets inserted in a catcher the pitcher that he is DHing for is out of the game. That is a major issue if it happens early. It's more than just having the pitchers spot hit the rest of the game.

And the answer is to just play Diaz at catcher and sit maldy then when Diaz needs a rest once a week let maldy catch framber if he insists on it.

I do not think that is a true statement. Diaz would remain in the same spot on the card and enter the game defensively. Maldy would exit the game and also the lineup card. The pitcher of record would be inserted into the lineup in place of Maldy (#9 spot) and remain in the game.

You are incorrect. The DH is in the lineup for a certain person. They can not be moved to another slot in the lineup. This is why they created the Ohtani rule where he effectively DH's for himself allowing him to remain the DH when he (P) is removed from the game.

If your DH is burned and inserted into the game the person he is DHing for is also burned or vice versa, if you are DH's for a pitcher and you decide you want the pitcher to hit the DH can be removed and the pitcher is not batting for himself in that spot

MLB Rule 5.11.a.5 from the 2021 rule book. I do t think the Ohtani rule changed this as it had to do with the pitcher leaving the game.

"The Designated Hitter may be used on defense, continuing to bat in the same position in the batting order, but the pitcher must then bat in the place of the substituted defensive player, unless more than one substitution is made, and the manager then must designate their spots in the batting order."

Marvin
AG
scd88 said:

jah003 said:

This is a sports network talking shlt?

The one that went bankrupt and couldn't pay its bills? Apparently they are accustomed to overextending themselves…
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

I am going to have to ask you to stop putting words in my mouth.

Is Pressly one of the best closers in baseball? Absolutely.

Is Pressly flawless? Recently in the postseason he has been, but, no, he is not.
I said that Pressly is pitching at a lower level so far this season than he has for some time. That's a fact. Your opinions are usually so stat-based, and the stats support my opinion, so I wouldn't think that you would have a problem with that.

Then you came back with your little post about a Tony Sipp/Pressly comp that I was obviously not making, so I did assume that you disagreed with me, in your typical way.

I agree with you on the rest. One of the best in baseball. Far from finished as an effective closer. I hope it's just WBC hangover and he's a postseason stud again. But he hasn't been quite himself this year and there's nothing wrong with saying it.
Marvin
AG
So the mods just quietly delete Rangers posts on this thread with no commentary, no warnings, and no bans?

I'll say it. That's a blatant double standard. Some might call it chicken***** Be better, staff.
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

So the mods just quietly delete Rangers posts on this thread with no commentary, no warnings, and no bans?

I'll say it. That's a blatant double standard. Some might call it chicken***** Be better, staff.

I havent been seeing any…. What did they say?
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

Marvin said:

One of them… I think it was beagle something but I might be wrong… posted the Manfred article link. It's like the fourth or fifth time they have skated on this behavior. And the dutiful mod didn't even edit the post- it and all responses were deleted with no record. No warning. Nothing. BS.
Beat40
Marvin said:

tjack16 said:

Marvin said:

One of them… I think it was beagle something but I might be wrong… posted the Manfred article link. It's like the fourth or fifth time they have skated on this behavior. And the dutiful mod didn't even edit the post- it and all responses were deleted with no record. No warning. Nothing. BS.
I don't care at all. They are feeling themselves right now. I expect it from them.

Bally many have made that tweet, but I guarantee you each of their fans thinks the same. I'm excited to see what July and August brings for them.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
If Diaz sits, we riot...
Farmer1906
AG
Madris was actually better in AAA in '21 and '22. I guess they figure he's worth figuring out a little before the trade deadline. A lefty bat that can play 1B and corner OF.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07
AG
tjack16 said:

Jose Valverde

His numbers for his 2 years as an Astro were quite impressive especially since those 08 and 09 teams were pretty mediocre.

08 - 3.38 ERA with 44 saves and he actually got MVP votes
09 - 2.33 ERA with 25 saves

That's pretty good for a closer on non playoff teams in the Cecil Cooper and Ed Wade days.
First Page Last Page
Page 791 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.