***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,459,429 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The Astros have a ton of gym rats on the team. Altuve, Bregman, Brantley, Yordan, Dubon, Peña are all known for their work ethics. They fit well with Dusty's approach. Chas is a little different. He's a good dude and he's liked in the clubhouse but he doesn't have the same mentality those other guys have. But hey… he still performs. Some guys just have different approaches and that's fine. But when you have an old school skipper like Dusty, it may rub him the wrong way.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It's just how it is. It's the same reason it took Yainer a while to crack the lineup.
I'd believe that.

It's interesting because my perception of Chas is almost the opposite. Given that he started as a 21st round pick out of Millersville University and is where he is today, I assumed he was a baseball rat with a huge work ethic.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
On another note, did you ask your source about Madris to back me up? Not that I doubt myself any but the rest of the board obviously does
OKCAg2002
AG
In the off-season, I was very anti-Bellinger on the Astros. Now? I am moving to be 100% for it. On paper, he's a perfect fit and fills a lot of needs. My concern is the clubhouse chemistry between him and guys like Altuve and Bregman.
Ag_07
AG
Just for shlts and giggles off day banter...

What would take or what would you give up to get Goldschmidt from STL? They're out of contention for anything.

He's under contract this year and next at $22mm per so there's some future control there.

Ideally he would play 1B to get Abreu out of there but I guess that's pretty wishful thinking. He could also DH.

Next year with no Maldy [/insert kid praying with dog gif] you could roll with Yanier at C, Yordan in LF, and either one of Abreu/Goldy at 1B/DH.

Harry Dunne
texasaggie2015 said:

I'll chime in with what I know.

Dusty is a super old school guy and he has a super old school approach to managing. If you don't do things his way, he's not going to like you.

The Astros have a ton of gym rats on the team. Altuve, Bregman, Brantley, Yordan, Dubon, Peña are all known for their work ethics. They fit well with Dusty's approach. Chas is a little different. He's a good dude and he's liked in the clubhouse but he doesn't have the same mentality those other guys have. But hey… he still performs. Some guys just have different approaches and that's fine. But when you have an old school skipper like Dusty, it may rub him the wrong way.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It's just how it is. It's the same reason it took Yainer a while to crack the lineup.

There may be more to the story here, but that's about all I know/am willing to put out on a message board. Bottom line… I think Dusty needs to get over it.

And this could ultimately be the deciding factor on which OF gets moved. Time will tell.
Just because a guy is not attention-seeking doesn't mean he doesn't work hard. Chas is not exactly a prototypical major-league baseball player (physically or background
-wise). I bet he has worked his ass off to get where he's gotten.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Trade the straight up Abreu contracts are basically equal, then throw in Dubin and another young arm not from out upper tier

Not that they'd take it but still
tjack16
AG

Ew
Farmer1906
AG
Caps look good. Rest looks bad.
Ag_07
AG
tjack16 said:

Ew

texasaggie2015
AG
Maybe I should clarify.

Chas is a hard worker. He just has a different approach. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but that's what I've been told. I imagine it's just a different way of going about his business when compared to some of the other guys on the team. He's a super goofy guy and likes to have fun.. maybe it rubs the old man the wrong way.
RED AG 98
AG
I like the cap. And that's about it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

On another note, did you ask your source about Madris to back me up? Not that I doubt myself any but the rest of the board obviously does

texasaggie2015
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I missed this. What was it?
tjack16
AG
So does that mean Diaz will lose DH at bats in order to preserve Dusty's backup catcher role?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16 said:

So does that mean Diaz will lose DH at bats in order to preserve Dusty's backup catcher role?
It would be right on brand for Dusty to do that. Maybe Dusty thinks since we're going to a few NL parks, he is gonna forfeit the DH a few more times just for the fun of it.
tjack16
AG
Or could it be Korey Lee 2.0 time?
texasaggie2015
AG
I see it now. Yeah, I haven't heard anything about that. It's definitely possible.

The Astros thought they found something in Madris' swing in the off-season so they brought him on board to see if they could fix it. I don't think it ever happened. It would be an interesting move and I'm not sure why he would be coming up. He hasn't been tearing it up in AAA necessarily.
texasaggie2015
AG
Very doubtful unless Maldy or Diaz are hurt. They want him getting every day ABs in AAA until he's moved or needed.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

That or it means Maldonado can never be PH or PR for. Maybe Diaz will get more time at 1B and C? Who the hell knows. Seems like Dusty can't get on the same page as his GM again.
DVC2010
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'll chime in with what I know.

Dusty is a super old school guy and he has a super old school approach to managing. If you don't do things his way, he's not going to like you.

There may be more to the story here, but that's about all I know/am willing to put out on a message board. Bottom line… I think Dusty needs to get over it.

And this could ultimately be the deciding factor on which OF gets moved. Time will tell.

How many beers will it take to get the rest of the story?
texasaggie2015
AG
Y'all should start buying and see
DVC2010
AG
Ag_07 said:

tjack16 said:

Ew

I really like these. Now that you all agree with what I've been saying about Dusty all along, I guess I have to be contrarian about something.
Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

And that's the death blow to Diaz doing anything but holding Maldonado's jock strap.

Unless there is a magic 3rd C somewhere that I'm missing.
redline248
AG
After reading that tweet about Dusty/Chas I have started to type up a rant about 5 different times. The bottom line is this all Crane's fault for giving Dusty the power he has. The writing for this sort of thing was on the wall when he hired Dusty before having a GM, and then set in concrete when he chose Dusty over Click.

That friggin dinosaur of a manager should have been told to ride off into the sunset for good. Now, he's gonna bring the whole ship down with him.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Madris is coming up…the corresponding 40 man roster move is what I am waiting to see

Edit: My guess is Bannon or Perez DFA'd or Whitley to 60 day IL
TRM
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

That or it means Maldonado can never be PH or PR for. Maybe Diaz will get more time at 1B and C? Who the hell knows. Seems like Dusty can't get on the same page as his GM again.
Hopefully, Dana told Dusty Diaz has to catch over Maldonado.
MAROON
AG
Someone told me that Dusty was interviewed and he said were two kinds of ball players. Those that analyze everything about their game (Bregman) and those that don't think about anything they just play (Chas).
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

And that's the death blow to Diaz doing anything but holding Maldonado's jock strap.

Unless there is a magic 3rd C somewhere that I'm missing.
Orrrrrrrr

Dana Brown is making his move.

Dusty isn't comfortable DHing Yainer with no one else on the bench that can catch.

Dusty's options for getting Yainers ABs are at 1B and C. Dusty knows he can't keep one of the hottest bats in baseball on the bench (1.073 OPS since May 31).

Harry Dunne
Deluxe said:

Here's my theory about Dusty/Chas:

Dusty thinks CF defense is very important, as shown by his persistence to play Straw and Siri out there the last few years. He leans on his eye test to determine who's a good CF and who's not.

Straw had blazing speed that was obvious to Dusty's eye. Siri aced Dusty's eye test due his size, Dominican swag, and ability to "effortlessly glide" to the ball. Fair enough. Both those guys are good CFs.

But I don't think Dusty pays attention to or cares about advanced defensive metrics showing Chas is a good CF too. In Dusty's eyes, he's too small and scrappy to be a big league CF.

Again, just a theory. I'm in no way defending his partiality against Chas.
This is not as much fun as he boned Straw's girlfriend, but probably the most reasonable theory.

Dusty wanting to hit Dubon high just because he's got a good batting average & is fast as more evidence to support this. Obviously, I am thrilled with the improved Dubon, but at the end of the day, he still not much of a hitter. Unless you're living in 1987.
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

It would be right on brand for Dusty to do that. Maybe Dusty thinks since we're going to a few NL parks, he is gonna forfeit the DH a few more times just for the fun of it.

The only problem with having Diaz at DH without a third catcher is if Maldy gets hurt. When has he left a game, if ever? The risk is miniscule. If it happens, have Diaz take the field as catcher and insert the pitcher into the lineup in the #9 spot- where Maldy always bats. Dusty can then either let the pitcher bat or play the old NL double switch / pinch hitter game.

It's such a low odds proposition, and probably not a huge negative impact given Maldy's production vs a pitcher batting a time or two, that Dusty really has no valid excuse for keeping Diaz on the bench. It's non-zero, but damn close to zero.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Dusty's options for getting Yainers ABs are at 1B and C. Dusty knows he can't keep one of the hottest bats in baseball on the bench (1.073 OPS since May 31).
Dusty:
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Does Dusty REALLY know that?
tjack16
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

Does Dusty REALLY know that?

That's just fan stuff
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

The only problem with having Diaz at DH without a third catcher is if Maldy gets hurt. When has he left a game, if ever? The risk is miniscule. If it happens, have Diaz take the field as catcher and insert the pitcher into the lineup in the #9 spot- where Maldy always bats. Dusty can then either let the pitcher bat or play the old NL double switch / pinch hitter game.

It's such a low odds proposition, and probably not a huge negative impact given Maldy's production vs a pitcher batting a time or two, that Dusty really has no valid excuse for keeping Diaz on the bench. It's non-zero, but damn close to zero.
In the extra inning game vs the Reds, Dusty pulled Diaz from DH (forfeiting the DH) to catch after pinch hitting Altuve for Maldy in the 8th...when he had a perfectly good 3rd catcher sitting on the bench. The move completely defies logic, so I wouldn't put it past him to do it again. His dementia might kick in and think there's no DH in an NL park.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

The biggest issue being if that happens early the SP is burned when you put the DH in at Catcher. So say Maldonado was injured in the second inning while Framber is pitching. We know just lost our ace and have to burn the bullpen and that is then going to effect the next 2-3 games. It's actually a much bigger deal that just "put Diaz a catcher and move on"
First Page Last Page
Page 789 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.