***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,461,881 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Deluxe said:

One thing that would be funny is the total meltdown of this thread if we traded for Ohtani but he rides the pine because Dusty continues to start Brantley over him.
This would absolutely happen.

He'd get Vazzied but we win the World Series anyway (though totally mis-using him) and then the next thread meltdown over whether Dusty is a genius or Forrest Gump would also be great.
Ag_07
AG
If Strom can't fix him no one can.
Farmer1906
AG
2014 Madbum is the greatest postseason of all time for a pitcher.
7 games
6 starts (7 or more IP in all 6)
6-1 in those games
52.2 IP
2 CGs
1.03 ERA
2.62 FIP
.407 opp OPS
Won games 1 & 5 of the WS then pitched a 5-inning save in game 7.
n_touch
Wabs said:

He should come here, cheap arm and there are places he can rodeo on off days
Harry Dunne
He's going to be one of the last great-hitting pitchers ever as well (aside from Ohtani, obviously).

At his hitting peak (2014-2018) he hit 15 HR in 263 AB and OPSed .706.
Farmer1906
AG
Dies Irae
Madbum also was pretty good in the pre-covid years and was probably deserving of the contract at that time.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

Flat out terrible contract of 5/85.

He has been bad to an absolute bum (pun intended) the entire deal.

2020 - 6.48 ERA, 7.18 FIP, 70 ERA+
2021 - 4.67 ERA, 4.63 FIP, 90 ERA+
2022 - 4.88 ERA, 4.85 FIP, 83 ERA+
2023 - 10.26 ERA, 8.13 FIP, 43 ER+
--
Total - 5.23 ERA, 5.18 FIP, 80 ERA+

85 M dollars get to 3+ years of **** pitching. So bad they prefer him to not pitch.
They should have offered him to the Tigers for Miguel Cabrera
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Harry Dunne
He looked good against us last year early in the season, I think he was hitting 95 on his fastball and I thought maybe he still had something left in the tank but looking at his numbers he hit a wall midway through last year and has been doing nothing but serving up dingers on 89 mph fastballs ever since.

IMO he's washed as a starter but maybe he'd be good out of the pen where he can put a little extra on it. At the league minimum, why not? For everyone bemoaning our lack of leadership, we could pick up HOF level experience and wisdom at a AAA price.
Ag_07
AG
I'm assuming some team will sign him for the league minimum.

But if not if he retires he'd fork over that $34M correct?

Otherwise he'd have to accept his assignment and pitch in the minors for $34M? That would be kinda awesome.
Farmer1906
AG
I doubt the Diamondbacks would do that to him.
Mathguy64
AG
They owe him $34MM whether he pitches for them in the minors, pitches for someone else, or retires. It's a sunk cost for AZ.
shano0603
AG
Farmer1906 said:

2014 Madbum is the greatest postseason of all time for a pitcher.
7 games
6 starts (7 or more IP in all 6)
6-1 in those games
52.2 IP
2 CGs
1.03 ERA
2.62 FIP
.407 opp OPS
Won games 1 & 5 of the WS then pitched a 5-inning save in game 7.

2001 Randy Johnson is close.
Dies Irae
Ag_07 said:

Otherwise he'd have to accept his assignment and pitch in the minors for $34M? That would be kinda awesome.
nope, he's been RELEASED.
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

I would imagine we'll see two groups of teams try and make a trade for him at the deadline

• Teams who have a legit shot at signing him so they can start pitching and have exclusive negotiating time (Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, Giants)
  • Teams who wanna make a splash pushing their chips all in chasing one title (Seattle, Milwaukee, Cincy, Pit or Texas if they're looking playoff teams)

Smart teams like us, Tampa, Atlanta, etc want no piece of that.
It's gonna be the Mets because Cohen still has the Correa money burning a hole in his stupid overpriced pockets and he's probably willing to give up the most prospects to get him. He'll make him the highest paid player in the game.
Ag_07
AG
Dies Irae said:

Ag_07 said:

I don't think that's how it works.

He has to clear waivers which he will since no one wants to take on that contract. Once he does that then he has the option to accept assignment or be free to sign anywhere for the league minimum.

My question was if he retires and decides he doesn't wanna play anywhere else does he still get the remainder of that contract? Which sounds like he does.
Dies Irae
Ag_07 said:

Dies Irae said:

Ag_07 said:

I don't think that's how it works.

He has to clear waivers which he will since no one wants to take on that contract. Once he does that then he has the option to accept assignment or be free to sign anywhere for the league minimum.

My question was if he retires and decides he doesn't wanna play anywhere else does he still get the remainder of that contract? Which sounds like he does.
Yes, I think all baseball contracts are fully guaranteed unless you violate one of the codicils, or you voluntarily retire. Being DFA'd still leaves the team on the hook no matter what I believe.
Ag_07
AG
Just for fun how crazy would this be...

Say the Mets are out of playoff contention but they want to acquire Ohtani to be able to exclusively negotiate so they trade for him anyway. Give up a bunch of prospects just to be able to get to him early.

Is Cohen that crazy?
W
AG
kudos to the Giants for reading the tea leaves correctly with regard to MadBum.

SF really maximized (or used up) his prime years
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

Say the Mets are out of playoff contention but they want to acquire Ohtani to be able to exclusively negotiate so they trade for him anyway. Give up a bunch of prospects just to be able to get to him early.

Is Cohen that crazy?
If anyone is that crazy it's him. I think the alure of Ohtani will be too great completely irrespective of how they are finishing the season.

In fact, if they are out of playoff contention what better way to keep your fanbase energized and engaged than to showcase Ohtani for the last two months of the season. For Ohtani, it will be business as usual playing baseball with absolutely no playoff pressure whatsoever. He'll thrive lol.
linkdude
AG
Just shows that Arizona is serious about actually competing for a WC or maybe more if lucks goes their way. If they didn't feel they had the depth I doubt they'd eat the salary for nothing. Can't complain about being 2 games up on the Dodgers so far.
iamtheglove
Ag_07 said:

I would imagine we'll see two groups of teams try and make a trade for him at the deadline

• Teams who have a legit shot at signing him so they can start pitching and have exclusive negotiating time (Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, Giants)
  • Teams who wanna make a splash pushing their chips all in chasing one title (Seattle, Milwaukee, Cincy, Pit or Texas if they're looking playoff teams)

Smart teams like us, Tampa, Atlanta, etc want no piece of that.
I could se Seattle going all in on Ohtani. They are desperate for a title, have a good ball club that a guy like Ohtani might be able to get them over the top and they know the impact Japanese fans have on the box office with their past experience with Ichiro.
Ag_07
AG
And Dipoto loves him a splash trade
W
AG
speaking of the Angels...and reflecting on Matt Chapman's great start to the season in his contract year...

Anthony Rendon is shaping up to be one of the all-time contract year players.

in 2019 he had 44 doubles and 34 home runs for the Nationals.

in the last 4 years for the Angels...2020 to 2023...he has a grand total of 35 doubles and 20 home runs.

his slugging % has fallen off a cliff since turning 31 years old
The Porkchop Express
AG
Speaking of the Giants and the Mets, they start the 2023 Carlos Correa Runner-up series tonight.
Wabs
AG
I don't know which would be better, watching Ohtani in an Astros uniform for the next decade or the complete nuclear meltdown from Yankee fan.
W
AG
going back to Monday night's game...

where 33-year old George hits 3 long fly balls to centerfield that were all caught...

does a 29-year old Springer...with a slightly quicker bat...pull 1 or 2 of those balls toward left center and thus out of the park?
Ag_07
AG
I don't think so.

He smoked those balls and many others throughout the series. Not sure anyone can hit them any better.

It's just a typical George slump. We all know he goes through these and when comes out of it he'll be white hot for awhile.
redline248
AG
W said:

speaking of the Angels...and reflecting on Matt Chapman's great start to the season in his contract year...

Anthony Rendon is shaping up to be one of the all-time contract year players.

in 2019 he had 44 doubles and 34 home runs for the Nationals.

in the last 4 years for the Angels...2020 to 2023...he has a grand total of 35 doubles and 20 home runs.

his slugging % has fallen off a cliff since turning 31 years old
And he's only averaged 52 games/season

edit: He did play 52 games in the covid year, though.
Farmer1906
AG
He's run into some bad luck. There is a 75-point gap between his wOBA & xwOBA. He also may be slowing down some. HH% is at an all-time low and BB% is ticking down. But its only a 84 PA sample. Lets not draw too many conclusions.
PhatMack19
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

He's run into some bad luck. There is a 75-point gap between his wOBA & xwOBA. He also may be slowing down some. HH% is at an all-time low and BB% is ticking down. But its only a 84 PA sample. Lets not draw too many conclusions.
If you need another example as to why we shouldn't infer too much this early, take a look at the top 10 hitters in baseball this year.

1. Matt Chapman
2. Brandon Marsh
3. Luis Arraez
4. Jorge Mateo
5. Brandon Lowe
6. Patrick Wisdom
7. Jarred Kelenic
8. Yandy Diaz
9. Kyle Tucker
10. Mike Trout
The Porkchop Express
AG
Glad to see the Blue Jays. I feel old as hell when they trot out three guys whose fathers I watched play while I was an adult!
bigjag19
AG
Ag_07 said:

Is Cohen that crazy?

10/.5B
wangus12
AG
Ag_07 said:

Please let it happen

First Page Last Page
Page 205 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.