***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,461,522 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

How ****ty of place do you have to be to lose all 3?
It's the terrible combination of downtrodden and expensive. At least Detroit is so cheap that it's getting gentrified and companies are encouraged to move there by the low cost of operation and benefits offered.

Oakland is an expensive dump.
Prosperdick
AG
Ags #1 said:

7-9 tonight
I'd like to point out how excellent of a prediction this was for last night. I know most thought he was predicting Springer's AB's for the game but was actually predicting the amount of runs we would score. Good job!!!
Farmer1906
AG
Back-to-back good articles from Chandler.

https://theathletic.com/4431488/2023/04/20/luis-garcia-aggressiveness-bounce-back/

Heavy Cutter usage and it played. Look at those whiffs. Garcia froze guys with the 4 seamer (see Springer in the first AB). Then added the change-up to keep lefties off balance.

The cutter has been Garcia's most valuable pitch. It was a -10 run value in 2021, -9 in 2022. His usage was only 22.4% & 29.5% in those years. This year it has jumped up to 41.9%. Not shockingly his best two starts are when he used the cutter more than 50% of the time.

I say keep throwing it until it doesn't work. As I said last night, let the cutter eat.
W
AG
last night's game should have convinced the Blue Jays GM...that he has to add 1 or 2 left-handed bats at the trade deadline.

an effective cutter or slider vs. George...is also effective vs. Bo...is also effective vs. Vlad.

that's going to be a problem in the playoffs
Farmer1906
AG
They tried in the offseason.

Varsho
Belt
Kiermaier
texasaggie2015
AG
Good timing for an off day. The guys get a day to reset coming off a series win. Tough stretch coming up against Atlanta and Tampa Bay. Let's keep it rolling and get hot just in time to welcome Uncle Mike back.
W
AG
going back to the A's...

remember the city wanted to include 3,000 affordable housing units in the redevelopment of the area around the new ballpark -- which is a ridiculous requirement to put on a baseball team. But that's the way Oakland politicians think
McInnis
AG
Has any other mlb franchise operated in four different cities as it appears will happen with the A's? I can't think of any.
Farmer1906
AG
O's & Braves each moved a few times but I don't think it was 4.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

https://theathletic.com/4431488/2023/04/20/luis-garcia-aggressiveness-bounce-back/

Heavy Cutter usage and it played. Look at those whiffs. Garcia froze guys with the 4 seamer (see Springer in the first AB). Then added the change-up to keep lefties off balance.

The cutter has been Garcia's most valuable pitch. It was a -10 run value in 2021, -9 in 2022. His usage was only 22.4% & 29.5% in those years. This year it has jumped up to 41.9%. Not shockingly his best two starts are when he used the cutter more than 50% of the time.

I say keep throwing it until it doesn't work. As I said last night, let the cutter eat.
I wonder why he didn't favor it in the other 2 starts and who gets credit for encouraging more usage overall, this year?
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I wonder why he didn't favor it in the other 2 starts and who gets credit for encouraging more usage overall, this year?

Without digging too much, I would guess it was a little bit of game planning and a little bit of control issues. Get behind, throw the 4 seam over.
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

O's & Braves each moved a few times but I don't think it was 4.
I think you are right.

Brewers became the St. Louis Browns which became the Baltimore O's. The strange part is before the Brewers, Baltimore had the defunct O's in 1899.

Braves were Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta.
jkag89
Wabs said:

The Las Vegas Aces??
As an unofficial nickname, sure but the Athletics name has so much history behind it I hope it is retained like it has been from the various moves of the franchise from Philadelphia to Kansas City to Oakland and now apparently to Vegas.
Farmer1906
AG
Well duh

redline248
AG
So...

Meyers, Hensley and Seth Martinez? They'd take that, right?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
This seems like a fun off day activity!

Who here wants to still use Forrest as a random late add toss in on a trade? Who would be off limits? Gilbert to me is a non-trade and maybe Tamarez they seem very high on his arm
Farmer1906
AG
As fun as it would be to have him, he's a terrible fit for us. We have the best DH in baseball in Yordan and Brantley is there to share time with him. I wouldn't say no to him in the playoff rotation, but we're not exactly hurting there either. Anything we'd give up would hurt since he's not filling a major need. I think we'd get a better bang for our buck going after someone like Burns or Woodriff for 1.5 years assuming the Brewers are selling.
Wabs
AG
Meyers, Hensley, Julks, Salazar, Martinez- Probably wouldn't get much in return, but I would trade any of these if the deal was right, an upgrade and filled a need for us.

I'd consider a trade for LMJ or Whitley. LMJ is just too injury prone and even when he's healthy he often doesn't make it through 4-5 innings. Love the guy, but it is what it is.

I'd want much more for Whitley, and I wouldn't trade him for a rental. Would need to be a solid player under control at least through 2025. Don't know if another team would take it, but that's what I'd want for him.

Gilbert untouchable for me, as I see him as a replacement for Tuck if he leaves.

I'd be looking for three things in a trade. Catcher, outfielder, and a solid lefty bullpen arm.

Flame away.
Deluxe
AG
Agree that it's a fun off-day topic but I can't really wrap my head around the Astros being serious players for Ohtani at the deadline.

1) He'd be purely a rental for us. Other teams might value the idea of bringing him in at the deadline with side benefit of starting their recruiting pitch early.

2) He's obviously a great hitter, but his inclusion in the lineup means one of Brantley, Yordan or Abreu is not. There's marginal incremental value there but not a ton. Other teams will be willing to provide more compensation for the value he adds as a hitter.

3) I'd love to add him as a pitcher and would be willing to give up value commiserate with acquiring a rental ace at the deadline.

I'd probably do something like two mid-top 30 pitching prospects (ie Andrew Taylor, Solis, Melendez, Dubin) and maybe a young upside guy like Kenni Gomez or Luis Baez for Ohtani. The Angels get much better offers than that though.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Meyers, Hensley, Julks, Salazar, Martinez- Probably wouldn't get much in return, but I would trade any of these if the deal was right, an upgrade and filled a need for us.

I'd consider a trade for LMJ or Whitley. LMJ is just too injury prone and even when he's healthy he often doesn't make it through 4-5 innings. Love the guy, but it is what it is.

I'd want much more for Whitley, and I wouldn't trade him for a rental. Would need to be a solid player under control at least through 2025. Don't know if another team would take it, but that's what I'd want for him.

Gilbert untouchable for me, as I see him as a replacement for Tuck if he leaves.

I'd be looking for three things in a trade. Catcher, outfielder, and a solid lefty bullpen arm.

Flame away.
I have no idea what it would take, but I just want to correct your LMJ take.

These are his IP in his last 41 starts (postseason included). He has pitched 5 or more in 36 and 6 or more in 23. When healthy Lance has no problem getting 5 and usually much more.
-
--
--
Ag_07
AG
I know it's 4/20 so I'm just gonna assume so of you are high AF.

Ohtani would be a HUGE upgrade over Brantley. Even a healthy 100% Brantley much less this unknown version of Brantley.

If the biggest hurdle was 'But how can he fit if we have MB?' then it's see ya Uncle Mike.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

Ohtani would be a HUGE upgrade over Brantley. Even a healthy 100% Brantley much less this unknown version of Brantley.

If the biggest hurdle was 'But how can he fit if we have MB?' then it's see ya Uncle Mike.
Not the point. The question isn't whether he's a better hitter than Uncle Mike. Of course he is.

But is he enough better to justify trading multiple top five prospects to capture that marginal improvement for three months? Because that's what it's going to take to be the winning bidder for Ohtani.

I don't think so, but agree to disagree.
Ag_07
AG
It's not a marginal improvement

But yeah...No thanks because I'm not selling the farm for a rental.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Ohtani hasnt gotten the Angels with the other best player in the league so it might just be marginal...
redline248
AG
Deluxe said:

Ag_07 said:

Not the point. The question isn't whether he's a better hitter than Uncle Mike. Of course he is.

But is he enough better to justify trading multiple top five prospects to capture that marginal improvement for three months? Because that's what it's going to take to be the winning bidder for Ohtani.

I don't think so, but agree to disagree.
In my opinion, he's worth giving up prospects for...IF you think he's the piece that you're missing to run at a championship. We aren't really in that position, AND we aren't the organization that is gonna pay him to keep him around. That makes it not worth it.

...but there is no doubt IF a team wanted him he's absolutely worth whatever it takes.
Ag_07
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Ohtani hasnt gotten the Angels with the other best player in the league so it might just be marginal...

Stupid argument

By this logic any good player on a bad team isn't much of an upgrade.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

I probably should have used the word "incremental" as opposed to "marginal". But yea, this is a dumb thing to argue about. Of course Ohtani is a better hitter than Uncle Mike. That doesn't mean the INCREMENTAL value of Ohtani's bat relative to Brantley's is worth giving up our best prospects to rent.
Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

Wabs
AG
redline248
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

This isn't basketball where you only need 1 or 2 players to make the playoffs
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

This seems like a fun off day activity!

Who here wants to still use Forrest as a random late add toss in on a trade? Who would be off limits? Gilbert to me is a non-trade and maybe Tamarez they seem very high on his arm
No one is really engaging in the actual topic posed. Does everyone still consider Forrest just a throw in...Who do we now consider untouchable...

And nothing was asked about other trades or other players.

So what is a package that maybe actually gets him and had a slightest chance of being done
Deluxe
AG
One thing that would be funny is the total meltdown of this thread if we traded for Ohtani but he rides the pine because Dusty continues to start Brantley over him.
Ag_07
AG
I would imagine we'll see two groups of teams try and make a trade for him at the deadline

• Teams who have a legit shot at signing him so they can start pitching and have exclusive negotiating time (Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, Giants)
  • Teams who wanna make a splash pushing their chips all in chasing one title (Seattle, Milwaukee, Cincy, Pit or Texas if they're looking playoff teams)

Smart teams like us, Tampa, Atlanta, etc want no piece of that.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Flat out terrible contract of 5/85.

He has been bad to an absolute bum (pun intended) the entire deal.

2020 - 6.48 ERA, 7.18 FIP, 70 ERA+
2021 - 4.67 ERA, 4.63 FIP, 90 ERA+
2022 - 4.88 ERA, 4.85 FIP, 83 ERA+
2023 - 10.26 ERA, 8.13 FIP, 43 ER+
--
Total - 5.23 ERA, 5.18 FIP, 80 ERA+

85 M dollars get to 3+ years of **** pitching. So bad they prefer him to not pitch.
Wabs
AG
I was interested in him for the Astros back in 2020. Thank God I'm not the GM....
First Page Last Page
Page 204 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.