***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,462,474 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
stoneca
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If we lose tomorrow I'm officially worried about this season
agproducer
AG
Meh, win the rubber game tomorrow.
Beat40
I just want to win the series. Literally all I care about.
Harry Dunne
agproducer said:

Meh, win the rubber game tomorrow.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Julks vs those sliders…. Oof
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
wangus12
AG
This team seems super content with getting ring #2.
Wabs
AG
Somebody please ask Dusty about the whereabouts of Diaz, and what he did to deserve being ignored.
Farmer1906
AG
Looked at Salazar's splits. The last two seasons has been pretty even vs RHP & LHP. But regardless of that, he's not a big league hitter. His only role should be to available so Diaz can play another position and get ABs.
tjack16
AG
We need 2021 level Brantley back in a big way. My fear is that age and injury history will hinder him a bit more than we think

I also think if they don't believe in Lee/Diaz yet, you have to get another catcher at the deadline. If we can't trust maldonado in the 9th inning of a close game, he shouldn't be your starter.
Wabs
AG
tjack16 said:

We need 2021 level Brantley back in a big way. My fear is that age and injury history will hinder him a bit more than we think

I also think if they don't believe in Lee/Diaz yet, you have to get another catcher at the deadline. If we can't trust maldonado in the 9th inning of a close game, he shouldn't be your starter.

Probably need a catcher and another outfielder to be honest.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

I agree. We need to be realistic on what Brantley can do. Which is hopefully a well above avg hitter vs RHP who puts together good ABs.

I can't see us giving up more resources to a catcher. We'd have to move on from Salazar to open up a 40 man spot. Why would Brown do that when he sees how Dusty is managing Diaz and can review 2022 and see how Dusty underutilized Vazquez?
Phrasing
AG
I miss Yuli. That is all. I know he had a terrible year last year but I miss him. It's like when the Indians went and got Jack Parkman.
Farmer1906
AG

Big Al 1992
AG
Yuli and Vasquez in this team and we are easy over .500 - have had so many situations where we could've used either but left using Space Cowboys or not making a move at all.
n_touch
For those of you guys playing the show have the diamonds shown up yet? I am getting them in special packs, but I am at 1 diamond for any of the reg and ballin packs. It is getting comical a this point.
redline248
AG
Dusty sucks.

That is all
Beau Holder
AG
redline248 said:

Dusty sucks.

That is all
BMX Bandit
Farmer1906 said:

Looked at Salazar's splits. The last two seasons has been pretty even vs RHP & LHP. But regardless of that, he's not a big league hitter. His only role should be to available so Diaz can play another position and get ABs.
tjack16
AG
I had us at 98 wins before the season. I think I'm closer to that 92-94 range now.

I think this will be a very tight and stressful division race that goes into the final week of the season.
Wabs
AG
Two major changes that need to happen now. Move Tucker up in the lineup and start playing Diaz.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I think the writing is on the wall that Dusty can't remember which is the good Hispanic catcher and which is the bad Hispanic catcher and is too stubborn to ask anyone so he's just guessing.

Or, as we debated earlier about we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, maybe Diaz is a d-bag or doesn't hustle or doesn't work hard. There's got to be a reason for it.
Dies Irae
Reminder that Diaz hit 25 dingers and had 96 ribbies on the way to slashing 306/356/542 in less than 500 plate appearances between AA and AAA last year.
Marvin
AG
Tough loss last night, especially since there's no real metric that says we put our best guys in position to be successful... or kept our worst batters from failing once again. Maldy has no business batting past the 7th inning when the Astros are trailing. Salazar should NEVER pinch hit, like ever. And Dusty hasn't even started load managing the lineup yet. Yikes.

But, stay the course and attempt to tread water while two of our best hitters are out and the slow starters pray for May. Hopefully Brown will have a discussion with Dusty before they leave town about Diaz. Use him here or in Sugar Land, but use him.
Dies Irae
I don't want to take anything away from the guy, or be accused of doom spiraling but it feels like we won the WS last year in-spite of Dusty not because of him.
Ag_07
AG
Dies Irae said:

I don't want to take anything away from the guy, or be accused of doom spiraling but it feels like we won the WS last year in-spite of Dusty not because of him.

We've been saying this since he was hired.

Although I will say Dusty is absolutely nails in the playoffs. No denying that.
W
AG
looking for Big Luis to deliver a series win tonight
texasaggie2015
AG
This sucks, but it's early. And we'll be adding two bats and veteran presences in the lineup soon. We'll be just fine.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah everyone worried needs to ake a sec and realize were 2 games under .500.

It's not like we've completely tanked and relegated ourselves to the cellar already. A couple games here and there and we're above .500 and no one is freaking out.

Hell when Altuve went down I think most of us agreed we just need to hang around .500 and tread water until he gets back. That's exactly what we're doing right now.

Frustrating for sure but not yet time for concern.
FrioAg 00
AG
Agreed, I just had higher hopes coming out of winning the Pittsburg series on the road that we were ready to get hot.

Instead we've sort of stayed mediocre (2-3). We explode one game, and disappear the next.

I'm not really nervous or anxious about it, I am just ready for us to get hot for the first time this year.
Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yeah everyone worried needs to ake a sec and realize were 2 games under .500.

It's not like we've completely tanked and relegated ourselves to the cellar already. A couple games here and there and we're above .500 and no one is freaking out.

Hell when Altuve went down I think most of us agreed we just need to hang around .500 and tread water until he gets back. That's exactly what we're doing right now.

Frustrating for sure but not yet time for concern.
The majority of the frustration is over Dusty. There's really no logical explanation for the things he does sometimes. Last night being the perfect example. Batting Maldy in the 7th?? Then pinch hitting Salazar in the 9th??? How can these things even be explained? Dusty said he wanted to "build confidence" in his players. Do his players include Yanier Diaz?
Cynic
Have the Astros moved away from analytics? Their decision-making appears to be more old-school conventional thinking rather than data-based.

Seems to line up with the firing of the analytical GM along with the negative comments from the front-office about the "nerds".

spadilly
S
Mother's Day hats are out:

Ag_07
AG
Completely agree

It's mind blowing
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I think the writing is on the wall that Dusty can't remember which is the good Hispanic catcher and which is the bad Hispanic catcher and is too stubborn to ask anyone so he's just guessing.

Or, as we debated earlier about we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, maybe Diaz is a d-bag or doesn't hustle or doesn't work hard. There's got to be a reason for it.
Same reason Dusty kept jerking Chas around all last season? Or didn't put him in the starting lineup for the first 2 games?

The reason is Dusty does whatever he wants.
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Same reason Dusty kept jerking Chas around all last season? Or didn't put him in the starting lineup for the first 2 games?

The reason is Dusty does whatever he wants.
Well, we did win the World Series with Dusty last year.
First Page Last Page
Page 189 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.