***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,466,037 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

It's hilarious to me that it just takes Jake literally one game with a HR and multiple RBI and the entire pendulum switches to "maybe there's a reason" "maybe his defense is good enough" "is Julks trade off different" blah blah blah.

It's baseball it's a grinding marathon and y'all swing on a whim constantly like Tarzan in a tree.

All I've been saying for the whole season is exactly what just got discussed, the organization knows these calculations and they understand this team, these players and this game way better than any of us. If they feel Jake has a spot on this roster and routinely in a lineup there is a reason for it.
1. We have been having some form of this fielding conversation since at least when Reddick began slowing down in RF.

2. Congratulation on being the first guy to give the organization credit for knowing their stuff. That's a novel concept and explains how we got 2 rings. You should think about Chandler Rome's vacated spot - you've got what it takes.

3. No one thinks just because Jake finally ran into one that he is going to stop sucking at hitting.
FrioAg 00
AG
Ag_07 said:

So I can see both sides of this so I don't feel strongly one way or the other about who's in the right here.

But he tweets 'Thank you all for the support...'

Support for what? You're wife (right or wrong) had to pick up some popcorn. WTF do you need support for? Was she injured or is there something you're now having to go through as a result of this?

GTFO with support

I've seen no one support this clown or his b****a** wife.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine as someone with four children. I can't stand parents who think their kids should just be tolerated and cared for by everyone else.

Your kids made a mess out of the first class cabin and the attendant has the AUDACITY to expect them and/or their mom to pick it up? And then this clown thinks "Hey, I can't wait to tell all my adoring fans how offended it made me"

Then this clown basically declares victory in that he is trying to get some poor attendant fired for asking his wife to be a decent human being?

What an entitled couple of POS raising little monsters just like them
Mathguy64
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

So this is my extremely uneducated opinion but i think Hunter Brown needs to move behind Javier in the rotation. Louace and Urquidy aren't producing as well as he is right now. I am not sure how often you mess with a rotation but Brown's last few outings have been stellar.
He's effectively in front of Framber now.
All I do is Nguyen
spadilly
S
Mathguy64 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

So this is my extremely uneducated opinion but i think Hunter Brown needs to move behind Javier in the rotation. Louace and Urquidy aren't producing as well as he is right now. I am not sure how often you mess with a rotation but Brown's last few outings have been stellar.
He's effectively in front of Framber now.

Farmer1906
AG
Now that we've gotten the Julks vs Meyers conversation out of the way, lets get to the important stuff...

Diaz better be in the MF lineup today. And while it was meaningless why did Salazar get the PH yesterday and not Diaz? In general, why isn't Diaz getting more PH plate appearances?

Pinch Hitters by Game (starting from the road trip)
vs Jays - Salazar & Hensley
vs Rangers - Salazar
vs Rangers - Diaz Started
vs Rangers - Meyers (Chas injury)
@ Pirates - Diaz Started
@ Pirates - Julks & Hensley (Salazar defensive replacement)
@ Pirates - Meyers (not a PH but defensive replacement)
@ Twins - Diaz Started
@ Twins - DIAZ PH
@ Twins - none

If you had no idea who Diaz was, you would never know he was the former top prospect (as of a few days ago) and potential catcher of the future. You'd think he was the 12th or 13th player off the bench / backup catcher. He's on pace for 207 plate appearances which is about 20 more than Mancini got after the trade deadline. If this is Dusty's plan, I think Diaz would be better served in AAA.
Dies Irae
To add to the Diaz discourse, I am playing him 2 on 1 off with Maldy in my sim, and he's projecting as a 217 OPS+ and 7.9 WAR in only 130 games
Farmer1906
AG
22 triples!
Marvin
AG
Indians playing Detroit this afternoon in front of no one. A thousand people there, maybe?
Dies Irae
Farmer1906 said:

22 triples!
Evan Gattis- like
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Now that we've gotten the Julks vs Meyers conversation out of the way, lets get to the important stuff...

Diaz better be in the MF lineup today. And while it was meaningless why did Salazar get the PH yesterday and not Diaz? In general, why isn't Diaz getting more PH plate appearances?

Pinch Hitters by Game (starting from the road trip)
vs Jays - Salazar & Hensley
vs Rangers - Salazar
vs Rangers - Diaz Started
vs Rangers - Meyers (Chas injury)
@ Pirates - Diaz Started
@ Pirates - Julks & Hensley (Salazar defensive replacement)
@ Pirates - Meyers (not a PH but defensive replacement)
@ Twins - Diaz Started
@ Twins - DIAZ PH
@ Twins - none

If you had no idea who Diaz was, you would never know he was the former top prospect (as of a few days ago) and potential catcher of the future. You'd think he was the 12th or 13th player off the bench / backup catcher. He's on pace for 207 plate appearances which is about 20 more than Mancini got after the trade deadline. If this is Dusty's plan, I think Diaz would be better served in AAA.
Dusty's old school ass probably thinks Diaz needs to bring him coffee every day by 7 am for 3 weeks straight to earn playing time.
Ag_07
AG
Dusty did that shlt 2 days in a row.

He did it the other day when Maldy was up with the bases loaded. Let him hit but then PH Salazar in the 8th after the game was out hand.
spadilly
S
Marvin said:

Indians playing Detroit this afternoon in front of no one. A thousand people there, maybe?

Game one of a double header due to an rainout yesterday and it looks completely miserable with the cold there. Poverty franchises without roofs.
Wabs
AG
Marvin said:

Its almost like watching a covid 2020 season game.
Farmer1906
AG
Was looking at Julks's savant page and I think he's going to have an issue the more teams see him. He's been miserable against sliders. It's not a giant sample. He's seen 49 sliders (26% of pitches seen) for -3 Run Value. To put it in simpler teams he's batting .077 against sliders and .429 against each of 4 seams & curveballs.
AustinCountyAg
Wabs said:

Marvin said:

Its almost like watching a covid 2020 season game
no lie. Granted it looks cold, but damn. Giving the A's a run for their money.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Was looking at Julks's savant page and I think he's going to have an issue the more teams see him. He's been miserable against sliders. It's not a giant sample. He's seen 49 sliders (26% of pitches seen) for -3 Run Value. To put it in simpler teams he's batting .077 against sliders and .429 against each of 4 seams & curveballs.
Will be getting the Pena treatment the more time he gets.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Was looking at Julks's savant page and I think he's going to have an issue the more teams see him.

We know that already so we're gonna hold him out of the lineup and give him very few ABs hoping teams won't pick up on that. - Dusty probably

Wabs
AG
Wabs
AG
Starting to get more concerned with the Chas injury, and also where the **** is Diaz???
redline248
AG
Wabs said:

Starting to get more concerned with the Chas injury, and also where the **** is Diaz???
It's like the Manhattan project with how little we know about Chas
linkdude
AG
At least we're getting Daily Julks.
Ag_07
AG
Chas injury is a bit weird but I'm guessing it's something like a little eye scratch that hurts like a MFer and takes a weeks worth of no contacts and drops to clear up and not some career threatening degenerative blindness issue.
linkdude
AG
I wonder if it affects his defense (reading fly balls) or batting (pitch recognition) more, or if it's more a general annoyance.
All I do is Nguyen

What in the actual **** is this ????
Ag_07
AG
I've had those kinds of minor scratches and it hurts. The biggest deal is you can't wear contacts and do the drops like every hour throughout the day to keep it from getting infected.

If your vision is bad and you can't wear contacts then you can't see anything. Pitch or flyball is irrelevant
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Maldonado's last 250 games (2021-2023)

.180 AVG
.263 OBP
.325 SLG
.588 OPS
64 OPS+

ERA / Opposing OPS by Catcher

Maldy: 4.06 / .760
Diaz: 1.22 / .546
Salazar: 4.35 / .708

Maldy: 2.91 / .606
Vazquez: 3.02 / .638
Castro: 2.46 / .609

Maldy: 3.82 / .695
Castro: 3.82 / .679
Stubbs: 3.08 / .635

Catch Framing Runs

Maldy: (-1)
Vazquez: 1

Maldy: 1
Castro: (-1)

Catcher Blocking Runs / Blocks Above Avg

2023:
Maldy: 0 / 0
Diaz: 0 / 0
Salazar: 0 / 1 (only 60 block opportunities)

Maldy: 0 / 1
Vazquez: 1 / 3
Castro: (-1) / (-4)

Maldy: 1 / 3
Castro: (-1) / (-2)
Stubbs: (-1) / (-5)

spadilly
S
All I do is Nguyen said:

What in the world???

Can the leaders please stop trying to grow the game by destroying the game? Stop listening to and catering to people who will never darken the stadium gates or watch a game on tv.
MAROON
AG
spadilly said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

What in the world???

Can the leaders please stop trying to grow the game by destroying the game? Stop listening to and catering to people who will never darken the stadium gates or watch a game on tv.
They are also going to try out a designated pinch runner rule. The designated pinch runner rule allows a player who is not in the starting lineup to be used at any point of the game as a substitute baserunner. The player who was subbed out, as well as the pinch runner, would still be able to return to the game.

Plus even more limitations on pitchers and their ability to hold runners:
The single disengagement rule, which means pitchers can only take their foot off the rubber once per at-bat to attempt a pickoff or reset the pitch clock.

I swear Manfred wants every base runner to start on second base. Then he can set up a mercy rule to end games early. that will really speed them up. He's the worst thing that ever happened to baseball.
n_touch
All I do is Nguyen said:

Instead of losing the DH, they should make the DH pitch the remainder of the innings until after the 5th inning. This will help in creating more two way players like Ohtani and then we can lower the players on the 40 man giving teams a better budget from the salary cap.

Not sure why you are against it.
Dies Irae
The entire league will be the Savannah Bananas soon. This is stupid, they're trying to "NBA JAM" major league baseball.
Eso si, Que es
Let's just make every game the home run derby. Pitching coaches throw meat and 12 players try to hit bombs. No more fielding, no more pitching, just big men who swing hard. Longest hit wins the game.

/sarcasm
Mathguy64
AG
MAROON said:

They are also going to try out a designated pinch runner rule. The designated pinch runner rule allows a player who is not in the starting lineup to be used at any point of the game as a substitute baserunner. The player who was subbed out, as well as the pinch runner, would still be able to return to the game.

Can the designated runner just stand next to machete in the batters box and run for him on contact?
. . .
Farmer1906
AG
Da faq?
First Page Last Page
Page 180 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.