***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,466,261 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
1876er
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

fullback44 said:

When Brantley comes back I hope Yulks could play center.. let Myers and Chaz come into spell outfield starters needing a break ..
I'm not saying Julks can't play center, but it's worth pointing out that he played more games at third in the minor leagues than center field.

Well we do need a third baseman. That guy there now should be DFA'd
Harry Dunne
TarponChaser said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

This is exactly how you become poor after you retire and need a new job instead of enjoying baseball retirement...

You're not up to speed on what NetJets or WheelsUp and the like costs relative to commercial these days are you?
Please, please regale us with tales of flying NetJets and chasing tarpon!

Skimmed the Bass story and don't really care if he's right or wrong, but he's made $10M total in his career which is nice but not exactly generational wealth. Good for him for being smart with his money.
Beau Holder
AG

redline248
AG
dshedd41 said:

I don't care about Chandler's employment news. The story here is that Yordan taught Dubon how to hit!

(I didn't actually read the article)
redline248
AG
I'm dead
redline248
AG
Meyers homer last night pushed his OPS above Abreu, and he's closing in on Bregman.

We need those 2 to get going.
Mathguy64
AG
So Chandler is now behind a pay wall?

Winner winner chicken dinner for everyone.
Wabs
AG
redline248 said:

Meyers homer last night pushed his OPS above Abreu, and he's closing in on Bregman.

We need those 2 to get going.
I think they are both slowly coming around. Breggy started off striking out WAY more than he used to. Now he seems to picking his pitches and taking BBs if they are there. Abreu's double last night was a good sign, but then he weakly grounded out a couple of times. I think he'll regress to his mean at some point and start racking up some RBI, which is something we desperately need him to do.
texasaggie2015
AG
That was actually a really good article. I enjoyed it.
cone
AG
Chandler Rome at the Athletic is about as perfect as it gets

miserable **** surrounded by miserable ****s
RC_57
AG
redline248 said:

dshedd41 said:

I don't care about Chandler's employment news. The story here is that Yordan taught Dubon how to hit!

(I didn't actually read the article)

And play Cuban dominoes.

(I did read it )
Farmer1906
AG
I know we've *****ing about a few guys underperforming and making jokes about Barry Dubon, but this thread has completely overlooked a particular player this year. And that player is, of course, TED.

He's on pace for:
  • 30-30 season (38-38 actually)
  • 142 Walks (just shy of Bagwell's record of 149 in '99)
  • 9.5 WAR

We can and should expect greatness, but take the time to appreciate the greatness while it's happening.
W
AG
Bregman needs to find or regain his opposite field power. He's hitting a lot of deep fly balls and line drives to outfielder depth in center and right...which are being caught.

of course opponents are pitching him away at MMP...and it's working to this point
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I know we've *****ing about a few guys underperforming and making jokes about Barry Dubon, but this thread has completely overlooked a particular player this year. And that player is, of course, TED.

He's on pace for:
  • 9.5 WAR

We can and should expect greatness, but take the time to appreciate the greatness while it's happening.

But why do you want us to complain about that
W
AG
and make him the first mega-contract Astro
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

He's on pace for:
  • 9.5 WAR

Still 7 RBI behind Yordan.

For real, though, can we get this guy in top 3 of the lineup! ffs
wangus12
AG
Farmer1906 said:

He's on pace for:
  • 9.5 WAR

Because Lord knows we aren't gonna re-sign him
TarponChaser
Best part of the Alvarez-Dubon story:

Quote:

"We talk more about approach more than anything else. I haven't changed my swing. I haven't changed anything, it's just a new mindset," Dubn said. "Pick a pitch, go with a plan. If you're going to die, die with a plan. Don't try to change it. Don't be afraid to go up there and fail with a plan. I'm going to fail, just fail with a plan."
Harry Dunne
texasaggie2015 said:

fullback44 said:

When Brantley comes back I hope Yulks could play center.. let Myers and Chaz come into spell outfield starters needing a break ..
I'm not saying Julks can't play center, but it's worth pointing out that he played more games at third in the minor leagues than center field.
I'm sure he can play in a pinch but he's probably just not fast enough. I have tried hard to understand fielding metrics and the one thing they all agree on is that range is by far the most valuable quality in an OF, especially a CF.

Tucker is a great example. GG RF, great arm, great instincts, good wheels. Despite his skill and considerable range, he still didn't have enough range for the org to want to put him in CF...and like most players, his sprint speed has been slowing down a little bit every year since he was 22.

Meyers is in the top 5% in sprint speed in MLB and that's what is keeping him out there. I don't know how much difference it makes, but it must make an enormous one for them to keep his feeble bat out there.

On other hand you still have Aaron Judge out there for the Yankees and until last year Springer was still spending most of his time in CF, so I guess every organization has a different philosophy - seems like Tucker would be just as good as either of those guys.
Johnsy3
AG
All this talk of people playing CF...remember the days of 37 year old Craig Biggio patrolling center? Or speedsters Lance Berkman and Richard Hidalgo? What about power-hitting Jordan Schafer and Brandon Barnes? And, everybody's favorite, Carlos Gomez? Yikes.

We are so good overall defensively that I wouldn't mind Julks playing in CF over Meyers.
Farmer1906
AG
Johnsy3 said:

All this talk of people playing CF...remember the days of 37 year old Craig Biggio patrolling center? Or speedsters Lance Berkman and Richard Hidalgo? What about power-hitting Jordan Schafer and Brandon Barnes? And, everybody's favorite, Carlos Gomez? Yikes.

We are so good overall defensively that I wouldn't mind Julks playing in CF over Meyers.
How many runs did that cost us? I think the baseball world has a much better idea now.
texasaggie2015
AG
Bingo
Wabs
AG
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Johnsy3 said:

How many runs did that cost us? I think the baseball world has a much better idea now.
Yeah I would LOVE to see the equation that the Astros use to calculate Meyers defense and offense to determine it's worth keeping him in the lineup while his bat lags behind.

And for the record I think he has some potential as a hitter, still, but not at the cost of ABs for Chas (when healthy).
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

He's on pace for:
  • 9.5 WAR

Tuck is gonna have some "Pay Me Rick" shoes pretty soon.
Harry Dunne
Johnsy3 said:

At the end of the day it's a math problem, right? Do the runs that Meyers saves you defensively make more of a difference than the runs he costs you offensively?

It's easy to hate Meyers at the plate because you can quantify his OPS and so on. It's harder to hate Julks (or whoever) in CF, because he doesn't necessarily look bad on a double or triple to the gap - you give credit to the hitter and move on...but the front office can know that Meyers would have gotten to it - and isn't preventing a double just as valuable as hitting one?

The problem is that I can't show the work because don't know the formula, but I'm confident that the front office does.
Deluxe
AG
Harry Dunne said:

texasaggie2015 said:

fullback44 said:

I'm sure he can play in a pinch but he's probably just not fast enough. I have tried hard to understand fielding metrics and the one thing they all agree on is that range is by far the most valuable quality in an OF, especially a CF.

Tucker is a great example. GG RF, great arm, great instincts, good wheels. Despite his skill and considerable range, he still didn't have enough range for the org to want to put him in CF...and like most players, his sprint speed has been slowing down a little bit every year since he was 22.

Meyers is in the top 5% in sprint speed in MLB and that's what is keeping him out there. I don't know how much difference it makes, but it must make an enormous one for them to keep his feeble bat out there.

On other hand you still have Aaron Judge out there for the Yankees and until last year Springer was still spending most of his time in CF, so I guess every organization has a different philosophy - seems like Tucker would be just as good as either of those guys.
Yea. Those are all good points. We have a number of guys who "can" play CF, but whether or not that's optimal is a different question.

From a defensive optimization standpoint, would we want Julks in CF? Probly not. But hypothetically, what if he's mashing OPS .850? .900? .950? There's probably a breakeven point where the offense/defense give-and-take makes it worth it.

But it's all relative too. Chas is the incumbent and plays a good CF. So Julks would have to significantly outperform him offensively to outweigh the defensive downgrade and be the everyday guy. That's a tall ask.

At this point, barring a mega offensive breakout where we can't keep Julks' bat out of the lineup, I think Chas/Dubon will see most CF reps post-Altuve's return. If Julks keeps it up, I could see him staying with the big club all year and getting a few starts per week as Brantley/Yordan/Abreu rest.

I'd love for Jake build on his mini-breakout yesterday. That'd be a nice problem to have. But even if he doesn't, he still might have a role with the team in the playoffs as a defensive replacement/pinch runner.
Johnsy3
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Johnsy3 said:

Yeah I would LOVE to see the equation that the Astros use to calculate Meyers defense and offense to determine it's worth keeping him in the lineup while his bat lags behind.

And for the record I think he has some potential as a hitter, still, but not at the cost of ABs for Chas (when healthy).
I would also love to see this. Is Julks bat + defense > Meyers bat + defense? The point of my original post is that no way can Julks' defense be as bad as geriatric Biggio...right?
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Johnsy3 said:

At the end of the day it's a math problem, right? Do the runs that Meyers saves you defensively make more of a difference than the runs he costs you offensively?

It's easy to hate Meyers at the plate because you can quantify his OPS and so on. It's harder to hate Julks (or whoever) in CF, because he doesn't necessarily look bad on a double or triple to the gap - you give credit to the hitter and move on...but the front office can know that Meyers would have gotten to it - and isn't preventing a double just as valuable as hitting one?

The problem is that I can't show the work because don't know the formula, but I'm confident that the front office does.

Agree it's a math problem. I bet the math thinks Meyers and Julks will be similar over a full season until Julks proves otherwise for a long enough time.

It's not like we're stopping our top hitting prospect from getting ABs by player Meyers in CF.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
It's hilarious to me that it just takes Jake literally one game with a HR and multiple RBI and the entire pendulum switches to "maybe there's a reason" "maybe his defense is good enough" "is Julks trade off different" blah blah blah.

It's baseball it's a grinding marathon and y'all swing on a whim constantly like Tarzan in a tree.

All I've been saying for the whole season is exactly what just got discussed, the organization knows these calculations and they understand this team, these players and this game way better than any of us. If they feel Jake has a spot on this roster and routinely in a lineup there is a reason for it.
redline248
AG
You are oversimplifying the conversation. Most of are not in the "Meyers sucks cut him yesterday!" camp. I know it's the internet and everyone thinks it's always black and white, but there are like 3 posters on this thread who think like that.
AustinCountyAg
maybe its just me but it seems like at least a couple times a week Myers is making bads plays in CF whether it's missing a cut off, throwing to the wrong base, etc. He might be able to run down a ball more than the next guy, but besides that I think he's an avg defender who sucks at the plate.
All I do is Nguyen
So this is my extremely uneducated opinion but i think Hunter Brown needs to move behind Javier in the rotation. Louace and Urquidy aren't producing as well as he is right now. I am not sure how often you mess with a rotation but Brown's last few outings have been stellar.
AggieNiebs
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

So this is my extremely uneducated opinion but i think Hunter Brown needs to move behind Javier in the rotation. Louace and Urquidy aren't producing as well as he is right now. I am not sure how often you mess with a rotation but Brown's last few outings have been stellar.
rotation order is irrelevant mid-season. Only matters in the playoffs
redline248
AG
AggieNiebs said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

rotation order is irrelevant mid-season. Only matters in the playoffs

Plus, you'd need a few off days to move things around too much and not screw with rest between starts.
First Page Last Page
Page 179 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.