***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,466,705 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Julks will be 100% blocked VERY soon by Yordan, Tucker, Gilbert, Leon and Melton also possibly even fat man Dirden.

I think Julks is odd man out so they were willing to start his clock, get him some swings in the bigs to show similarities to AAA and then shop him around later for younger talent or an arm down the road this season
I hope that's true, but you can't possibly know how good those other guys not named Yordan and TED are going to be.

Remember when Teoscar was "blocked" by Derek Fisher and the outfield of the future was Fisher, Straw and Tucker (with Yordan at 1b)? Things change.

We have seen enough future stars fizzle to know that you never know. Now is the time to see what Julks is, before those other guys you mentioned are ready for their turn.
Going to need some receipts of anyone who ever said the future was Fisher and Straw
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Woof

ClickClack
AG
MAROON said:

agproducer said:

Also, anyone else follow Evan Gattis on Twitter? He put out some interesting comments today about 2017. I'm not sure why he is bringing it up.
he's either drunk/high/or off his meds....or a combination of those.

I love Gattis, but he's a mess.

I went last night and dug into his comments on twitter (they were all replies so harder to find). Really strange that he decided to be this open book and fan the flame now. Can't tell you how ready I am for people to stop making that the identity of the Astros. I deal with it every damn day living in New England. Literally the UPS guy was giving me **** yesterday saying he was thinking about banging trash cans instead if ringing my doorbell because I have an Astros flag.

Also buried in gattis' comments he said he had kidney failure? Is that why he's on meds? I love el oso blanco but he needs to rein it in.
ClickClack
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Julks will be 100% blocked VERY soon by Yordan, Tucker, Gilbert, Leon and Melton also possibly even fat man Dirden.

I think Julks is odd man out so they were willing to start his clock, get him some swings in the bigs to show similarities to AAA and then shop him around later for younger talent or an arm down the road this season
I hope that's true, but you can't possibly know how good those other guys not named Yordan and TED are going to be.

Remember when Teoscar was "blocked" by Derek Fisher and the outfield of the future was Fisher, Straw and Tucker (with Yordan at 1b)? Things change.

We have seen enough future stars fizzle to know that you never know. Now is the time to see what Julks is, before those other guys you mentioned are ready for their turn.
Going to need some receipts of anyone who ever said the future was Fisher and Straw

Caught a few innings of the Indians and Yankees last night. Straw I believe dropped a ball in centerfield and allowed the runner to get to third with CLE up 1 and no outs. His pitcher bailed him out big time.
AggieNiebs
AG
ClickClack said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Caught a few innings of the Indians and Yankees last night. Straw I believe dropped a ball in centerfield and allowed the runner to get to third with CLE up 1 and no outs. His pitcher bailed him out big time.

He didn't drop the ball, he just tried to dive for a ball that there was NO chance to actually getting to (I think he came up like 5-10ft short), which allowed the ball to get past him and turned a lead off single into a lead off triple.... Pitcher came up HUGE getting Judge to pop up to the infield, and then K'ing Rizzo and Stanton.
Prosperdick
AG
Glad to see Seattle scuffling although it's early. The only thing that looks normal right now are the A's in the cellar. Also noticed Detroit's only 2 wins are against us....woof!
AgSportsFan89
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Woof

I knew it was going to be bad, but hot damn that is brutal.
Beat40
Prosperdick said:

Glad to see Seattle scuffling although it's early. The only thing that looks normal right now are the A's in the cellar. Also noticed Detroit's only 2 wins are against us....woof!
A little Rangers/Astros showdown this weekend. Interested to see what they look like.

Also would be cool to sweep the bucs and be over .500 heading into that series.
Harry Dunne
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Straw was tongue in cheek. Only Dusty thought he was any sort of future. But Fisher was definitely the guy for a bit.

2017 Baseball America #4 overall org prospect (#72 overall) ranked between Tucker & Yordan for position players, if you can believe that!

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2017-houston-astros-midseason-top-10-prospects/
Baseball America said:

(Teoscar) Hernandez has been passed by Fisher on the Astros' outfield depth chart. He's been fine this year and is a better defender than Fisher, but when left field potentially opens up next spring, Fisher's superior offensive production gives him the edge.
You can google dozens of articles from a bit later, when Fisher was "untouchable" and there was speculation about trading Tucker too because of the logjam in the outfield. Ultimately as we all know Teoscar was traded, Fisher was a dud, Marwin & Reddick faded fast, none of the lesser regarded guys panned out and we ended up signing Uncle Mike.

But we went from a corner OF logjam in 2017 to needing to sign a major FA after 2018.

I'm not saying that I know what Julks is either way. If I had to guess, my hunch is that he's another AAAA guy who will always whiff too much @ MLB. But I feel the same way about Meyers (and with more to base it on) so I'd like to give Julks some ABs just in case while those other guys wait their turn. Alternatively I'd love to see Dirden or any one else the org thinks is ready get a shot. That's all I'm saying.

Also I think it would be better for Meyers to be getting AAA ABs and his confidence back than being a defensive sub with 5 ABs per week.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Straw was tongue in cheek. Only Dusty thought he was any sort of future. But Fisher was definitely the guy for a bit.

2017 Baseball America #4 overall org prospect (#72 overall) ranked between Tucker & Yordan for position players, if you can believe that!

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2017-houston-astros-midseason-top-10-prospects/
Baseball America said:

(Teoscar) Hernandez has been passed by Fisher on the Astros' outfield depth chart. He's been fine this year and is a better defender than Fisher, but when left field potentially opens up next spring, Fisher's superior offensive production gives him the edge.
You can google dozens of articles from a bit later, when Fisher was "untouchable" and there was speculation about trading Tucker too because of the logjam in the outfield. Ultimately as we all know Teoscar was traded, Fisher was a dud, Marwin & Reddick faded fast, none of the lesser regarded guys panned out and we ended up signing Uncle Mike.

But we went from a corner OF logjam in 2017 to needing to sign a major FA after 2018.

I'm not saying that I know what Julks is either way. If I had to guess, my hunch is that he's another AAAA guy who will always whiff too much @ MLB. But I feel the same way about Meyers (and with more to base it on) so I'd like to give Julks some ABs just in case while those other guys wait their turn. Alternatively I'd love to see Dirden or any one else the org thinks is ready get a shot. That's all I'm saying.

Also I think it would be better for Meyers to be getting AAA ABs and his confidence back than being a defensive sub with 5 ABs per week.

Meyers did that last year and raked. He's just a classic AAAA player, I'm ready to move on, send him down again, let him rake then trade him for something decent.

The problem is he doesn't help the big league club other than his trade value. And him sucking in the majors doesn't help that
Harry Dunne
I agree 100%. But like you say, his value will be highest if he's raking at AAA again so there's no point in him being here.

Chas deserves 4-5 starts a week. Dubon can be a black hole once a week and play late inning defense.
Ag_07
AG
I'll never forget trading Fischer then shortly after him endearing himself to the Toronto faithful by completely whiffing on a routine popup and taking it right to the face.
Dies Irae
I had forgotten about Teoscar Hernandez, even crazier when I looked him up; I saw he was 11th in AL MVP voting in 2020 and won the silver slugger award. How did I miss that?
Harry Dunne
Dies Irae said:

I had forgotten about Teoscar Hernandez, even crazier when I looked him up; I saw he was 11th in AL MVP voting in 2020 and won the silver slugger award. How did I miss that?
Because we won the WS in 2017 and most people have the perspective to know that you can't "win" every trade and if the net result is a ring and you didn't give away the whole farm system to get it, you did a great job.
Harry Dunne

linkdude
AG
he's a cheat code
Dies Irae
Harry Dunne said:

Dies Irae said:

Because we won the WS in 2017 and most people have the perspective to know that you can't "win" every trade and if the net result is a ring and you didn't give away the whole farm system to get it, you did a great job.
yeah, I just couldn't believe he grew into a 146 OPS+ player.
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude said:

he's a cheat code
If he didn't chase, he'd be the greatest ever.
Harry Dunne
Dies Irae said:

Harry Dunne said:

Dies Irae said:

yeah, I just couldn't believe he grew into a 146 OPS+ player.
For sure. No one saw that coming. You can't play the "what if" game because maybe if they don't leave and have a change of scenery & room to grow they never break out like they did, but man when we were struggling with a fading Reddick & Marwin it would have been nice to have had Teoscar & JD Davis who both did well after leaving to fill their roles. Especially since we got so close all those years where one more bat might have made the difference.

But all in all 2 rings. You can't complain.

All I do is Nguyen
I have no words....
Lonestar_Ag09
AG

Im sorry but anyone saying they've seen enough is just blowing wind to hear themselves talk. Im not saying Meyers is great, or will even be a consistent contributor but you can not call him a flop or a AAAA player yet. Especially when half of his numbers he was injured.

So glad again this board doesn't make our GM decisions
Farmer1906
AG
I recognize those top #s.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I recognize those top #s.
Bet you do, and people called him a lollygagging flop that needed to be traded. And again I am not saying that Jake is on that path but he also cant be abandoned and sold low.
Harry Dunne
I agree that it's too early to call it on his career, but what would you like to see instead?

Him taking ABs away from Chas, who appears to be the far superior player and has been contributing for 2 years straight?

Him continuing to get 5 ABs a week and playing late inning defense?

It's a no-brainer to send him down, whatever the future plans for him are.
All I do is Nguyen
So let's assume when Brantley gets back, Yordan is full time DH. So gives us MB, Chas, Tucker in the outfield. Would we use Meyers or Julks to spell those guys every once in a while?

I agree Chas is hitting way too well to sit him any more than is necessary. Julks seems to have a good bat and the jury might still be out on his defense.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Yordan will play more LF than Brantley

Brantley wont play daily

Chaz also will needs rest occasionally as well as Ted.
texasaggie2015
AG
Does anyone know how to go about getting tickets for the Budweiser deck at MMP? Are those public? Is there a minimum order quantity?
Ag_07
AG
The injuries are part of the problem.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Injury. He was injured one time
ClickClack
AG
AggieNiebs said:

ClickClack said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

He didn't drop the ball, he just tried to dive for a ball that there was NO chance to actually getting to (I think he came up like 5-10ft short), which allowed the ball to get past him and turned a lead off single into a lead off triple.... Pitcher came up HUGE getting Judge to pop up to the infield, and then K'ing Rizzo and Stanton.

Gotcha. I walked away and came back right after that and they wouldn't stop talking about his error so I figured that's what happened. Apparently a lot of people watch out of market games too. Regardless would rather have Chas.
All I do is Nguyen
If Brantley can't play LF almost everyday, then he should be our permanent DH. With the lack of shift I feel like he will feast.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

If Brantley can't play LF almost everyday, then he should be our permanent DH. With the lack of shift I feel like he will feast.
I fully believe he will DH 60% LF 30% Bench 10%

Yordan will be something like LF 60% DH 35% and Bench 5% or less
astros4545
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Does anyone know how to go about getting tickets for the Budweiser deck at MMP? Are those public? Is there a minimum order quantity?

I believe it is free entry if you are trans
Farmer1906
AG
There just aren't enough ABs to go around to everyone. When Brantley gets back, 90% of the PT for the OF needs to be Alvarez, TED, McCormick, & Brantley.

Sure, guys will need a day off here and there, but there aren't really enough opportunities to give Julks or Meyers a great look. They're both 27. Do we see a likely ceiling better than an average MLB player? I don't. Brown probably needs to see if Julks has any value after a hot start then hold on the Jake as a 4th or 5th OFer since he's strong defensively.

We can't even seem to find regular ABs for our literal #1 prospect who is on the MLB roster playing a position of need where the starter is below average.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

I fully believe he will DH 60% LF 30% Bench 10%

Yordan will be something like LF 60% DH 35% and Bench 5% or less
That is probably closer, but that only leaves 5% of DH for Abreu and everyone else. You have the right idea.
First Page Last Page
Page 128 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.