***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,466,745 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did not know that. Farmer again with the additional insight.
All I do is Nguyen
Raise your hand if you had Dubon hitting over .300 at any point this season?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Duvon is hitting 11 points higher.now than Jose Altuve ever has in a season. Altuve will be moved to utility infielder upon his return.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
aggie813
In regards to Dubon, we need to savor the flavor neighbor, cause it ain't gonna last. Wish him the best and hope he keeps it up.
wangus12
AG
Oh ye of little faith. Dubon is gonna be a duel GG/SS winner this year
Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

I did not know that. Farmer again with the additional insight.

I didn't either til y'all brought it up. It was a good observation
Bobcat-Ag
Ok, I know it's early in the season, but is anyone else concerned with Abreu and the lack of power to start the season? He only has 1 extra base hit in 11 games. Hard hit % down to 39.4% which is the lowest of his career.

He is still making good contact, although striking out at a higher rate than expected. Is this just due to age or a small sample size? I was expecting really good things from him this year.
Prosperdick
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

Ok, I know it's early in the season, but is anyone else concerned with Abreu and the lack of power to start the season? He only has 1 extra base hit in 11 games. Hard hit % down to 39.4% which is the lowest of his career.

He is still making good contact, although striking out at a higher rate than expected. Is this just due to age or a small sample size? I was expecting really good things from him this year.
We've run into some really good pitching early in the season by evidence of our high K rate so that has to factor in along with still getting acclimated to a new team, routine etc. He did have some nice hard hits in preseason including a homer I think was 110 off the bat.

I'd wait till further along in the season before making any judgments.
linkdude
AG
Based on what I can tell from here, he's whiffing at a high rate than average and seeing a higher percentage of breaking stuff, he's pulling the ball less, getting more under the ball on his fly balls.

It might just be a timing thing, as he adjusts to the diet of breaking pitches. I'm sure our staff is working with him, hopefully he's receptive.

Prosperdick
AG
By the way, don't look now but if the Stros keep it up we might just match our 10-11 start from last year.
Farmer1906
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

I would wait things out. The sample size is pretty small.

Go back to just last week. On 4/5 his HH% was 50% and EV was 90.7. Both are right in line with his awesome career #s.

While we know guys like Bregman start slow, we aren't familiar with Abreu's tendencies. Looks like he is a slow starter too.

2022 Apr/May - .816 (.824 Season)
2021 Apr/May - .690 (.831 Season)

Career OPS
Apr/Mar - .792
May - .835
June - .834
July - .843
Aug - .971
Sep/Oct - .853
linkdude
AG
One other thing to keep an eye on from Statcast, his max exit velocity so far this year is 106. Every other year in the majors, his max has been 113+. We'll see where he falls this year.
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude said:

Based on what I can tell from here, he's whiffing at a high rate than average and seeing a higher percentage of breaking stuff, he's pulling the ball less, getting more under the ball on his fly balls.

It might just be a timing thing, as he adjusts to the diet of breaking pitches. I'm sure our staff is working with him, hopefully he's receptive.

I think these are the two items to keep an eye on.

Last year he made huge strides in not striking out and drawing walks. So far that ain't happening. His chase rate is the highest it's been since 2016, his whiff% is the highest its ever been, and he's watching too many good pitches go by (only 45.5% meatball swing %).

When he does make contact, he's under it 30.3% of the time. League avg is 24.6% and he's never been higher than 22.1% until now.

But its way too early to really worry. If he's still making poor swing decisions and popping balls up in late May, then we can start to have real concerns.
Bobcat-Ag
Those are all good points. I was trying not to jump to conclusions based on 11 games, but I know there are some stats that normalize faster than others, although I can't remember what those were. I still think he could be good to great in this lineup, just would love to see a breakout game.
AustinCountyAg
prolly cause he was drunk tweeting
Prosperdick
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

prolly cause he was drunk tweeting
Never forget, this is the same dude:
Farmer1906
AG
He said he wasn't drunk but on a lot of medication.
Farmer1906
AG
BCSWguru
Keller should be a good test today.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I will at least give yall credit to wait to complain about Abreu until after his hitting streak ended!
texasaggie2015
AG
It's April 11th. He will be just fine.
Prosperdick
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I will at least give yall credit to wait to complain about Abreu until after his hitting streak ended!

Yeah I almost mentioned that in my rebuttal...wait, he didn't extend his 12 game hitting streak?!? He sucks!!
Harry Dunne
Prosperdick said:

By the way, don't look now but if the Stros keep it up we might just match our 10-11 start from last year.
We have started 7-9 the last 3 years in a row.

We might be starting off too hot this year!
Wabs
AG
Anybody got the ump score from last night?
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday and listened to only a few innings here and there.

Watching those highlights shows that the shift ban is having a pretty significant impact on the game. How many of those hits we had wouldn't have been hits?

Instead we scored 8 runs with what 3 XBHs?

Whether you like it or not hitting through holes dink and dunk station to station baseball is back.
aggie813
I know the box on TV isn't accurate but I did notice several of Framber's pitches low in the zone that looked like strikes were called balls. Curious to see the ump score too.
Harry Dunne
W said:

one small issue with Julks...

he has zero walks in 29 plate appearances.

his batting average is his on-base % --- which is concerning

(and right now thanks to a sac fly...his on-base % is actually lower than his BA)
That's a big issue, but Meyers is almost equally inept when it comes to strikeouts with the additional problem that he doesn't hit.

1 BB, 6K in 15 PA and 18 BB & 110 K in 338 career PA including the 2021 season where he actually hit well and a .268 OBP between last season and a few ABs this one.

If this was the postseason I'd say for sure Meyers over Julks since all he's there for is PR/Def Sub...but if we have the defensive flexibility (which I'm not sure we do) to not carry a true CF on the bench then I think it's smart to kick the tires on Julks and see what we've got there.

Farmer1906
AG
We were hitting line drives solidly. Maybe 3/13 were dinks.

EV on our hits
Farmer1906
AG
Woof

MAROON
AG
agproducer said:

Also, anyone else follow Evan Gattis on Twitter? He put out some interesting comments today about 2017. I'm not sure why he is bringing it up.
he's either drunk/high/or off his meds....or a combination of those.

I love Gattis, but he's a mess.
Harry Dunne
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I'm not saying it happenes often. Especially seeing as Abreau doesn't miss games. Brantley also was seen practicing some first.

Take our love for He alley and his swag. He hasn't done much this year and is the odd man out. We're bringing back an OF and an INF simple logic would say we drop that same down. Hensley and Julks

I think the plan is to flip Julks in a trade later this season. He has shown some but he is buried, he won't rise above the guys that are younger than him or those starting ahead of him currently. A-la Teoscar
Interesting that you bring up Teoscar. You can't say it was a mistake to trade him because as little as Liriano did, he got some key outs and we got a ring. Long term though, it was a terrible deal and he would not have been blocked.

Now with the DH, no position player that can rake is truly ever blocked. Uncle Mike is on a 1-year deal. We are going to eventually need a full-time LF/DH. Possibly as soon as next season.
Wabs
AG
Thanks Farmer. About what I expected.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I'm not saying it happenes often. Especially seeing as Abreau doesn't miss games. Brantley also was seen practicing some first.

Take our love for He alley and his swag. He hasn't done much this year and is the odd man out. We're bringing back an OF and an INF simple logic would say we drop that same down. Hensley and Julks

I think the plan is to flip Julks in a trade later this season. He has shown some but he is buried, he won't rise above the guys that are younger than him or those starting ahead of him currently. A-la Teoscar
Interesting that you bring up Teoscar. You can't say it was a mistake to trade him because as little as Liriano did, he got some key outs and we got a ring. Long term though, it was a terrible deal and he would not have been blocked.

Now with the DH, no position player that can rake is truly ever blocked. Uncle Mike is on a 1-year deal. We are going to eventually need a full-time LF/DH. Possibly as soon as next season.
Julks will be 100% blocked VERY soon by Yordan, Tucker, Gilbert, Leon and Melton also possibly even fat man Dirden.

I think Julks is odd man out so they were willing to start his clock, get him some swings in the bigs to show similarities to AAA and then shop him around later for younger talent or an arm down the road this season
Dies Irae
Farmer1906 said:

Woof

Without the umps, Pittsburgh would have had -.12 runs.
Harry Dunne
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Julks will be 100% blocked VERY soon by Yordan, Tucker, Gilbert, Leon and Melton also possibly even fat man Dirden.

I think Julks is odd man out so they were willing to start his clock, get him some swings in the bigs to show similarities to AAA and then shop him around later for younger talent or an arm down the road this season
I hope that's true, but you can't possibly know how good those other guys not named Yordan and TED are going to be.

Remember when Teoscar was "blocked" by Derek Fisher and the outfield of the future was Fisher, Straw and Tucker (with Yordan at 1b)? Things change.

We have seen enough future stars fizzle to know that you never know. Now is the time to see what Julks is, before those other guys you mentioned are ready for their turn.
First Page Last Page
Page 127 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.