***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,926,286 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Dies Irae
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cone said:

on pace for 0-162
imagine how much it would suck to lose every game while having a starting pitching rotation who didn't give up a run.
Mathguy64
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Mathguy64 said:

Bregxit said:

Whose booty is that?

She threw out the 1st pitch. Megan something. I gather she is a singer. I thought she was a stripper.

She came out basically twerking the whole way to the mound. Then stood on the mound and turned her butt to the crowd and started flexing. She is obviously very classy.
Just making sure I'm understanding the underlying tone of the board this year.

Perfect angel from heaven who loves puppies, kids, and baseball and only holds hands on the first date.

Self-obsessed ***** who uses her body to get attention.

MTS might rub you the wrong way with her musical choices, but she's talented, funny, and has given literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of her own money to Houston and national charities. I don't get the hate.

I get she's got a trunk full of junk and she's proud of it.

You are coming out to throw out the pitch on opening night with a stadium full of everyone from 8 months to 80 years old. Be a little classy. Twerking is a little much.

Then again I'm older than average.

And I say all this being a hypocrite posting rally chicks with it all but hanging out.
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07 said:

I didn't mind the clock until it got be a high leverage situation like when Framber got into trouble and when Neris had the bases loaded.
THIS.

I kept thinking, take your time bro you got him, and forgetting that he has no choice but to rush. Personally, I am not a fan of the pitch clock and wouldn't mind seeing it go away.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I think that grind on pitchers will be real. But it'll help position players stay off their feet a little.

I think this will cut both ways.

It 100% helped Cease. He got in a rhythm and was effectively quick pitching every batter who could do nothing to break that rhythm.

I think it almost bit Framber in the butt when he loaded the bases. He often needs to walk around the mound to collect himself and refocus. He couldn't do that.
McInnis
AG
Ag_07 said:

I didn't mind the clock until it got be a high leverage situation like when Framber got into trouble and when Neris had the bases loaded.

I also think this is going to have an effect on pitchers in the long term and dealing with fatigue. It looked like it was taking a lot out of Framber having to work so fast and I think that toll over the length of a full season is going to show for a majority of the pitchers across the league especially the 2nd half when we get into the dog days.

In the old days when games lasted 2 1/2 hours or less, it was common for pitchers to pitch complete games. Good starting pitchers would often pitch complete games in way more than half of their starts.

Now I'll wait for some youngster to come along and tell me that back in the old days all pitchers threw were fastballs with some spin. This actually happened during the off season thread.

Ag_07
AG
I don't know...Pitch clock or not Cease was nasty. That was some of the best pitching I've seen in a while.

Maybe since Cole had that epic game against Arizona.
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

I don't know...Pitch clock or not Cease was nasty. That was some of the best pitching I've seen in a while.

Absolutely he was. But quick pitching made it better.
Dies Irae
Ag_07 said:

I can't remember the last time I saw someone paint corners like that; front door, back door, high heat, you name it.
1876er
AG
LPHA. Time for a rebuild. Trade Yordan. Trade Altuve. Trade Tucker. Trade Framber. Trade Bregman. Time to rebuild around Pena and Brown.
Marvin
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Mathguy64 said:

Bregxit said:

Whose booty is that?

She threw out the 1st pitch. Megan something. I gather she is a singer. I thought she was a stripper.

She came out basically twerking the whole way to the mound. Then stood on the mound and turned her butt to the crowd and started flexing. She is obviously very classy.
Just making sure I'm understanding the underlying tone of the board this year.

Perfect angel from heaven who loves puppies, kids, and baseball and only holds hands on the first date.

Self-obsessed ***** who uses her body to get attention.

MTS might rub you the wrong way with her musical choices, but she's talented, funny, and has given literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of her own money to Houston and national charities. I don't get the hate.

When the PA announcer has to tell you twice to throw the first pitch, yeah... you're making a spectacle of yourself. Never heard that before.

Do your little thing, but don't waste 30 seconds posing and pimping.

Mathguy64
AG
Oh yeah. While I'm *****ing.

**** that Bard hack. **** Mark De Rosa for putting him out there when he couldn't throw a orange underhand and hit a wall from 10 feet away and **** all the American pitchers who can pitch and who refused to leaving scrubs like Bard to be selected and have to be used.

It's going to be a long 2 months watching Dubon night after night.
cone
AG
Dies Irae said:

cone said:

on pace for 0-162
imagine how much it would suck to lose every game while having a starting pitching rotation who didn't give up a run.
that would really suck
cone
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Oh yeah. While I'm *****ing.

**** that Bard hack. **** Mark De Rosa for putting him out there when he couldn't throw a orange underhand and hit a wall from 10 feet away and **** all the American pitchers who can pitch and who refused to leaving scrubs like Bard to be selected and have to be used.

It's going to be a long 2 months watching Dubon night after night.
Dubon needs to be fired into the sun.
redline248
AG
Part of what I don't like about the pitch clock is it's another move by MLB to try and take some strategy out of the game. Like it or not, the stakes for winning and losing is higher today than it was 20, 30, 60 years ago. Fans are paying more than ever to go to games, teams are paying more than ever to field competitive teams. That means teams are going to want to do everything they can to win.

So...let's force pitchers to face 3 batters (I don't completely hate this rule), let's ban the shift, lets force batters and pitchers into time constraints. A pitcher stepping off or throwing to a base to change rhythm, or a batter stepping out is a game within the game to affect the opponent. It should continue to be allowed.

Maybe there are some tweaks that will allow for both a quicker pace and continued strategies batter to batter, or whatever.
Eso si, Que es
Some pitchers love to work fast, some will struggle and adjust, some will fail miserably.

The main difference I saw was Cease knew what he wanted to throw and can start thinking about executing the pitch at 3 seconds prior to pitch clock initiating (0:18). Makes the call as soon as he receives ball back (0:15). Walks back to mound and comes set (0:10). Starts windup (0:06).

Framber receives ball (0:15)
Walks to mound and comes set (0:10)
Receives pitch selection (0:08)
Starts windup (0:03)

Astros are still operating the old way of waiting on pitcher and batter to come set and then call the pitch. They have pitch com now and the batter isn't going to steal the sign. It is fine that we want Maldy calling pitches, that is a net positive for us IMO, but get the call to the pitcher ASAP. Cease had 12 seconds to process the pitch he wanted to deliver. Framber had 5 seconds to process his pitch and he looks rushed/uncomfortable.

McInnis
AG
Quote:

Part of what I don't like about the pitch clock or designated hitter is it's another move by MLB to try and take some strategy out of the game.
I went ahead and added what people were saying 50 years ago.
spadilly
S
spadilly said:

One thing I thought about yesterday….most of our games are going to be over around 9:30 with the new pitch clock rules, so I'm probably going to spend longer getting to and from the game than I'll actually be there at MMP. Rough considering ticket prices/parking/food.

But, on the flip side, I'll get so see watch more of the late west coast games on tv when ours wraps up.

UPDATE: Watched the entire Angels/A's game last night, because I'm a sicko, and was in bed by midnight. Shouldn't be many Astros After Dark games this year, and I'm perfectly fine with that.
Farmer1906
AG
McInnis said:

Quote:

Part of what I don't like about the pitch clock or designated hitter is it's another move by MLB to try and take some strategy out of the game.
I went ahead and added what people were saying 50 years ago.
I don't think he's wrong. There probably is less strategy, but that doesn't mean MLB was trying to reduce the competitive advantage of the smarter teams. It's about improving the product on the field and that was just an unintended consequence.

wangus12
AG
But Astros After Dark is when the good posting starts
redline248
AG
wangus12 said:

The we'll have to let our east coast buddies handle it
Quad Dog
AG
Too bad they can't serve beer at Minute Maid Park this year because they lost the opener.
astros4545
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

Some pitchers love to work fast, some will struggle and adjust, some will fail miserably.

The main difference I saw was Cease knew what he wanted to throw and can start thinking about executing the pitch at 3 seconds prior to pitch clock initiating (0:18). Makes the call as soon as he receives ball back (0:15). Walks back to mound and comes set (0:10). Starts windup (0:06).

Astros are still operating the old way of waiting on pitcher and batter to come set and then call the pitch. They have pitch com now and the batter isn't going to steal the sign. It is fine that we want Maldy calling pitches, that is a net positive for us IMO, but get the call to the pitcher ASAP. Cease had 12 seconds to process the pitch he wanted to deliver. Framber had 5 seconds to process his pitch and he looks rushed/uncomfortable.

Framber looked great last night

Hope he is this uncomfortable every game
The Porkchop Express
10 years ago today ...

2013 - In their first official game as an American League franchise, the Astros spank the Rangers, 8-2, at Minute Maid Park. A three-run homer by Rick Ankiel breaks the game open. Erik Bedard backs Bud Norris with 3-1/3rd relief innings. The win is also the managerial debut for Bo Porter.

The starting lineup:
Altuve 2B
Wallace 1B
Carter LF
Pena DH
Maxwell CF
Castro C
Dominguez 3B
Barnes RF
Cedeno SS

All I do is Nguyen
redline248 said:

wangus12 said:

The we'll have to let our east coast buddies handle it
I got you
McInnis
AG
The Astros all-time in opening day games as a new team in their league are 2-0, outscoring their opponents by a combined 19-4.. Show me an MLB team that is more impressive in that category.
Deluxe
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

Underrated post. It's going to be interesting to see all the little unintended fallouts of the rule changes.

One thing I tried to keep in mind last night is that the players are much more adjusted to the new rules than I am, given that I didn't get to watch much (if any) spring training baseball. You make a good observation here. I wonder how cognizant Framber/Maldy are of it, how much work as gone into adjusting thus far, and how much adjustment is still required.

At a high level, I kind of net out like this: On one hand, given that we're among the most "strategic" organizations in baseball, we're sort of destined/doomed to be among the most affected by the new rules. But at the same time, our organizational intelligence positions us nicely to figure out how to take advantage of the new rules before anyone else.
Wabs
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs said:

We call that "The Oakland Sellout"
AustinCountyAg
this. Well documented that Framber at times lets emotions get too involved and it impacts his pitching. In pressure spots I can see the rush getting to him and he's not gunna be able to step back and take a breather and reset.
Farmer1906
AG
If that's the case we'll start using our mound visits to let him reset.
mAgnoliAg
bearkatag15
AG

Id love to hear the explanation of putting Tatis ahead of Tucker. Tatis is a defensive liability.
All I do is Nguyen
Sending some good luck vibes for tonight

Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Id love to hear the explanation of putting Tatis ahead of Tucker. Tatis is a defensive liability.
Career 160 OPS+ and a rocket launcher arm.
Farmer1906
AG

Rendon whiffs again
First Page Last Page
Page 41 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.