***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,116,582 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLA06 said:

Wabs said:

BMX Bandit said:

graveman for sure back on roster if heathy.

do they keep the lefty singleton?
Don't really see the purpose of keeping Singleton. Dusty will not use him and if we have Dubon to play 1B if Abreu gets hurt. Would rather have more pitching options.
I really hope you mean Diaz.

Although that's exactly something Dusty would do.
Yes, Diaz could play 1B, too. But Dusty is going to trust Dubon more at the plate.
BMX Bandit
Strider also gets it

Deluxe
AG

Good clean baseball.
Farmer1906
AG
Rangers-Astros position-by-position breakdown

Catcher - Rangers (thanks, Maldy)
First Base - Astros (agree if we get Abreu of the last several weeks)
Second Base - Astros (but lets not act like Semien is not good too)
Third Base - Rangers (They're predicting this, but Breggy has been better)
Short Stop - Rangers (duh)
Left Field - Rangers (They're not factoring Alvarez here)
Center Field - Astros
Right Field - Rangers (lol... Garcia is good, but TED is better)
Designated Hitter - Astros
Starting Rotation - Astros
Bullpen - Astros

Astros - 6
Rangers - 5

Should be
Astros - 7 or 8
Rangers - 3 or 4

Here is their prediction
Quote:

It's not easy to dethrone the reigning champs. The Astros have been here before, they've won it before, and they have some of the best postseason performers in baseball. But if anyone can do it, it's the Rangers, who are firing on all cylinders after their back-to-back sweeps of the top two teams in the AL during the regular season. As much as the Astros know how to get it done in October, so do the leaders the Rangers have brought in: Seager, Scherzer, Eovaldi and three-time World Series champion manager Bruce Bochy.

The Astros stole the division from the Rangers on the last day of the regular season. The Rangers will steal the pennant from the Astros in a winner-take-all Game 7.

Rangers in 7
Boiling Denim
Still amazes me in a frustrating way that we've lost a World Series to the Nats without Harper and to the Braves without Acuna. Baseball is weird yo
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Center Field - Astros
Bullpen - Astros

Astros - 6
Rangers - 5

Should be
Astros - 7 or 8
Rangers - 3 or 4

I'm being as honest as I can be.

C - Rangers
1B - Astros if Abreu does what he had been doing.
2B - push. Semien can dominate a game just like Jose.
SS - Rangers at the plate heavily. Defensively it's JP. Overall Rangers. Their biggest difference.
3B - slight Astros based on defense.
LF - Astros
CF - push
RF - push. Garcia is good and very hot right now. Tucker needs to come to play.
DH - Astros. Where ever Yordan is (DH or LF) is heavily tilted to Astros.
Bench - Astros. Dubon and Diaz are big weapons if used correctly.

SP - Astros
RP - bwahahaha. This is where the series is decided IMHO.

Both teams will do everything that they can to take the bats out of the hands of Yordan and Seager. It will be up to the rest of the players to take over. If we can get into their pen early in the series it's over.
spadilly
S

October off days…

BadAggie
AG
spadilly said:

October off days…

Prosperdick
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Center Field - Astros
Bullpen - Astros

Astros - 6
Rangers - 5

Should be
Astros - 7 or 8
Rangers - 3 or 4

I'm being as honest as I can be.

C - Rangers
1B - Astros if Abreu does what he had been doing.
2B - push. Semien can dominate a game just like Jose.
SS - Rangers at the plate heavily. Defensively it's JP. Overall Rangers. Their biggest difference.
3B - slight Astros based on defense.
LF - Astros
CF - push
RF - push. Garcia is good and very hot right now. Tucker needs to come to play.
DH - Astros. Where ever Yordan is (DH or LF) is heavily tilted to Astros.
Bench - Astros. Dubon and Diaz are big weapons if used correctly.

SP - Astros
RP - bwahahaha. This is where the series is decided IMHO.

Both teams will do everything that they can to take the bats out of the hands of Yordan and Seager. It will be up to the rest of the players to take over. If we can get into their pen early in the series it's over.
Here's where I'm at...if the Rangers stay hot and take 1 or even 2 of the first couple of games as much as we would be depressed, the series would be far from over as we've been in that position before and still advanced.

If we come out hot and take the first two games I think the Rangers will be done. Yes, they'll get a pick me up at home and win game 3 but I think we will close it out in game 5, maybe 6.
Wabs
AG
Obviously alot of factors, but I think a HUGE one is whether Tucker plays like King Tuck or does he continue to struggle? If he gets hot then they will have to pitch to Yordan and it will not be good for the Rangers.
bearkatag15
AG
Wabs said:

Obviously alot of factors, but I think a HUGE one is whether Tucker plays like King Tuck or does he continue to struggle? If he gets hot then they will have to pitch to Yordan and it will not be good for the Rangers.

Tucker's slash line vs Texas in 13 games this year:

. 400/.571/.650/1.221
15 runs
16 hits
1 2B
3 HR
7 RBI
2 SB
15 BB
2 K

This might be his 2023 post season coming out party

His slash line playing in Arlington:

.440/.563/.720/1.283
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
iBrad
AG
While it's debatable if these breaks in the playoffs actually lead to rust (Rangers are on a four-day break; Astros on three), it's not debatable that it leads to a bunch of over analysis, number-crunching, roster comparisons, etc. that likely won't matter much once the games get rolling. This series feels as much of a crapshoot as any we've been in over the past seven years.

I think one benefit of playing the Rangers is that it will bring Minute Maid back to life in a way that playing the Orioles would not have. Maybe, just maybe that will give us a slight home edge and nullify some of the struggles we've had at MM this season.
iamtheglove
BayAg_14 said:

The Braves and Dodgers losing like this shows you just how special this run has been. 7 damn years in a row in the ALCS. I know it will come to an end eventually, but what a ride it has been!

This. This. This.

Been a huge fan since I was 7 years old (1971). Lived through some horrible years.

Before this magnificent run I would have killed for even just a league championship.

To have played to go to the World Series 7 years in a row (and won 2, so far) is by far the greatest sports experience in my 59 years. Don't ever take for granted this amazing run.
jkag89

Quote:

October off days…
. . . with no other baseball.

Prosperdick
AG
iBrad said:

While it's debatable if these breaks in the playoffs actually lead to rust (Rangers are on a four-day break; Astros on three), it's not debatable that it leads to a bunch of over analysis, number-crunching, roster comparisons, etc. that likely won't matter much once the games get rolling. This series feels as much of a crapshoot as any we've been in over the past seven years.

I think one benefit of playing the Rangers is that it will bring Minute Maid back to life in a way that playing the Orioles would not have. Maybe, just maybe that will give us a slight home edge and nullify some of the struggles we've had at MM this season.
That's a good point about bringing the Juice Box back to life but I wonder what the percentage split will be as there are still quite a few transplanted DFW folks who live in Houston (I know quite a few) and they will spend a LOT to go to a game as it's their first in over a decade.
iBrad
AG
I think the increase in opponent fans will serve as more motivation to be loud. Just have to give them reasons to get loud and stay loud.
mernaggie12
AG
Yeah, but then you get dumba**** like AJ Pierzynski, ARod, and Jeter talking about solo homers meaning nothing and shadows only effecting the home team.

Pedro is the only decent national broadcaster.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OKCAg2002
AG
I'm curious how mixed the crowd will be in Globe Life. Our fans have always traveled well, there.

Edit: Current SRO tickets in Globe Life are about $175 for game 4 on the open market. That's tempting…
n_touch
BadAggie said:

spadilly said:

October off days…

I typed out multiple different things to reply to this and I am sure each one of them would have earned me a vacation
AggieJ2002
AG
I'm going to be very interested to see the amount of fans in each stadium. Astros fans have turned GLF into MMP North during the regular season, but don't think that is going to be the case in the playoffs due to the fact that their fans are going to be willing to pay so much more not having been in the playoffs in a while.

Last year I went to Petco Park to watch the Dodgers play the Padres. Petco is usually 70% Dodger fans in the regular season, but for that playoff game it was 98% Padre fans since they were willing to spend so much more money for the seats than Dodger fans who have seen the playoffs for so many years,

Definitely a different dynamic, and I certainly expect to see a lot of Rangers fans at MMP. Should make for an exciting environment.
Panama Red
AG
mernaggie12 said:

Yeah, but then you get dumba**** like AJ Pierzynski, ARod, and Jeter talking about solo homers meaning nothing and shadows only effecting the home team.

Pedro is the only decent national broadcaster.

Do you really not understand the point they making about solo home runs?
tjack16
AG
Anybody else going to be at MMP Sunday night?
FrioAg 00
AG
Sunday and Monday - wouldn't miss it.

Might drive up to Arlington and watch us finish them off there too.
tjack16
AG
Btw on the Astros website they've been releasing small amounts of tickets this week. I've checked periodically and was able to get one at face value for Sunday

2ndChanceAg96
AG
You may be the only one watching tomorrow.
tjack16
AG
2ndChanceAg96 said:

You may be the only one watching tomorrow.

Oops.. Sunday game 1 is messing me up. Im on the ALDS start Saturday schedule
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I know. It's been messing with me as well. Just thought that was funny.
Farmer1906
AG
Here is a better metric for the calls. We got 4 net. Basically 1 call went our way a game.

Mathguy64
AG
And Minny still beat the Jays like a rented mule, even with all the help to Toronto.
AgLA06
AG
I have been told I have a ticket to the Monday game. And it's supposedly in a suite.

Beyond excited.
tjack16
AG
AgLA06 said:

I have been told I have a ticket to the Monday game. And it's supposedly in a suite.

Beyond excited.

Hopefully you get good Framber. Bad Framber last Sunday night was not fun to watch in person
CFTXAG10
AG
tjack16 said:

Btw on the Astros website they've been releasing small amounts of tickets this week. I've checked periodically and was able to get one at face value for Sunday
Funny. I wasn't able to get anything in the STH presale, but I snagged a pair in 255 for game 2 earlier today. Go figure.
tjack16
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

tjack16 said:

Funny. I wasn't able to get anything in the STH presale, but I snagged a pair in 255 for game 2 earlier today. Go figure.

Same here. That's how I got to go to WS game 7 in 2019. I'm guessing it's leftover from the ones they held for new 2024 season ticket holders?
AgLA06
AG
tjack16 said:

AgLA06 said:

Beyond excited.

Hopefully you get good Framber. Bad Framber last Sunday night was not fun to watch in person
Well, based on this year it's 50/50 and he's already taken a loss in the playoffs. So I'm betting on black.
CFTXAG10
AG
tjack16 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

tjack16 said:

Same here. That's how I got to go to WS game 7 in 2019. I'm guessing it's leftover from the ones they held for new 2024 season ticket holders?
Yea, thats what our rep told us last year. They hold onto tickets to offer as a perk for signing up for 2024
First Page Last Page
Page 2846 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.