***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,443,024 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else excited for the draft? A lot of late steam for us to take Ty Floyd from LSU. I'd be excited to have a high level college arm that appears likely to move fast through the system.
Boiling Denim
redline248 said:

Boiling Denim said:

Bregman ain't that dude anymore. He excelled when he was living and breathing ball but I don't think we're gonna see that Breggy again
He needs Altuve and Yordan in the lineup more than anyone else. Instead he has Dubon and Abreu

He's making $30MM this year he should be able to perform in a vacuum and not be reliant on others
Marvin
AG
As much grief as we have given Abreu and Montero, and they have earned a bucketful this year, Bregman has been worse dollar for dollar.

Consider this- he's currently 8th on the team in slugging, and if Altuve had enough at bats to qualify then Salsa would be 9th. All that for $30 million and the highest salary on the team.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG

Wouldn't be a bad pickup for cheap
BCEDAg
AG
If it wasn't for Neris's Houdini act last night in the eighth inning the Stros would have been swept all four games by Seattle.
Farmer1906
AG
If not for his poor pitching would he need that act.
BCEDAg
AG
Just saying that we were lucky not to get swept.
Faustus
On the bright side we would have been clean though.
Ag_07
AG
BCEDAg said:

If it wasn't for Neris's Houdini act last night in the eighth inning the Stros would have been swept all four games by Seattle.

If my aunt had nuts she'd be uncle.

But she doesn't so...
BCEDAg
AG
Just stating a fact Jack
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16 said:

Isn't that guy who tried to fight the entire pirates bench by himself when he was with the reds?
Ag_07
AG
Oh I know.

It's just that over the course of an entire season you could go back and do this to every series.

So IMO it doesn't really matter. The results are the results and at the end of the day your record is what it is.
redline248
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

Abreu, outside of about 2 weeks, has not been good enough to bat cleanup.
Who would you suggest should be batting cleanup? Last time I checked, excluding Julks of late, the entire team is in a collective slump.
I don't remember the sample size, but when I looked about a week ago Bregman was performing best as a clean up.

Diaz had a game or 2 as cleanup and I would be fine with that. Maybe even Tucker

Abreu is not cutting it
bigjag19
AG
Looks like Blummer is taking the fam to Phoenix for the break.
tremble
AG
jah003 said:

Honestly, 2 games back at the ASB without using the A lineup but maybe a dozen games and multiple pitchers out at various points…

Basically where I am at. We have three of our SPs out, two of our offensive spark plugs, and a trio of AAA arms pitching for us right now.
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

Isn't that guy who tried to fight the entire pirates bench by himself when he was with the reds?

Well this team does need some fight right now
redline248
AG
Nice
Ag4life80
AG
Hate to say it, but it appears Bregman got the biggest trashcan 'bang' for the money, beating out Marwin.
Ag_07
AG
Ag4life80 said:

Hate to say it, but it appears Bregman got the biggest trashcan 'bang' for the money, beating out Marwin.

Not even close
Mathguy64
AG
Bregman looks to me like a broken player. All the wrist, hand and other injuries. He wants so badly to turn on the inside pitch and he can't.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Psst...Astros...you can do it too...it's ok...
jkag89
redline248 said:

jkag89 said:

Quote:

Who would you suggest should be batting cleanup? Last time I checked, excluding Julks of late, the entire team is in a collective slump.
I don't remember the sample size, but when I looked about a week ago Bregman was performing best as a clean up.

Diaz had a game or 2 as cleanup and I would be fine with that. Maybe even Tucker

Abreu is not cutting it
Who goes in the three hole if Tucker is batting cleanup?

I would love someone to step up and fill the role, hopefully Yordan will be back soon and by soon by the end of the week. Until then I don't see anyone consistently coming through.
W
AG
the silver lining with Bregman's struggles...

the front office knows what not to do with his next contract, contract offer, or contract extension.

he won't get a mega-contract after 2024

it will be 4 or 5 years max at $20 MM per season max

and possibly less if things don't improve next season (i.e. hit for power)
W
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Psst...Astros...you can do it too...it's ok...
good for the Yankees

if the season ended today...NYY would not be in the playoffs
redline248
AG
jkag89 said:

redline248 said:

jkag89 said:

Quote:

Abreu is not cutting it
Who goes in the three hole if Tucker is batting cleanup?

I would love someone to step up and fill the role, hopefully Yordan will be back soon and by soon by the end of the week. Until then I don't see anyone consistently coming through.
I said earlier I wouldn't mind Diaz batting in the top 3, but you're right that things aren't great all around. The only thing I know is the 4th hitter in our lineup shouldn't be from a guy that isn't even on this list

BadAggie
AG
jah003 said:

Honestly, 2 games back at the ASB without using the A lineup but maybe a dozen games and multiple pitchers out at various points…

Basically. Biggest second half issue for this team is getting and staying healthy.

From there, the trade deadline may bolster the roster. A bigger move is going to require parting with top prospect(s) and/or taking back a less than desirable contract.

I guess we'll get the official announcement that Uncle Mike is done for the season after the trade deadline passes. Hate to see that but feels inevitable.
jkag89
Booing Manfred! Every single time he comes to the podium.
tjack16
AG
Why the experts had Skenes not going #1 is baffling. He is the most pro-ready pitcher we have seen since Strasberg
Beau Holder
AG
I didn't follow college much this year, what was the story with Skenes again? Parachuted out of the AFA with no second thoughts to take a bag from LSU?
redline248
AG
Pretty much. I think considered A&M, but apparently we didn't have our NIL game in order
FrioAg 00
AG
We are not playing like a championship team right now, but lucky for us it's July.

We have the pieces to be the hot team in September, we need to get healthy and lock in. Just need to stay in the playoff slots until then.
Farmer1906
AG
Rangers drafted a player worthy of 1/1 at #4.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I'd like to see him get called up. Especially given we are about to play against 3 bad teams
redline248
AG
So, is Dana gonna give this guy a shot soon? We definitely could use some (more) power in the lineup
First Page Last Page
Page 1023 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.