***2023 World Baseball Classic***

21,242 Views | 456 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by redline248
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the US Pitchers will find a way to make it work. What about a 3-4 one week and 3-4 the next?

Just like US pitchers need to step up, I think US fans need to. We had fewer fans than other team at almost every game we played.

I think this WBC will be a spark plug fir MLB, US pitchers and for the US fans. My boys and I already planning to go in '23.
MallalieuAg
AG
Very entertaining and fun to watch Classic.
wildmen09
AG
I have zero data other than anecdotal, but it seems there are more injuries in baseball compared to futbol during ganes
OKCAg2002
AG
I wish baseball was better at marketing their players. The NBA and the NFL do it so much better. Ohtani needs to be a global face if baseball and bigger then Tiger Woods was for golf.
La Bamba
AG
wildmen09 said:

I have zero data other than anecdotal, but it seems there are more injuries in baseball compared to futbol during ganes

You had Gabriel Jesus go down in the World Cup, whose a Brazilian striker that plays for the top team in the English Premier League. The World Cup is the top prize in Soccer, so regardless of when it is, the top guys go.

Also, it's not typically in the Winter during the season. They did it this time because of the excessive heat in Qatar.
La Bamba
AG
Ohtani needs to learn English. Dude has LeBron, Messi/Ronaldo potential.
Al Bula
AG
Yawn.

2022 Astros World Series Champs >>>>>>>>>>>>> WBC Japan.
beagle2009
AG
La Bamba said:

wildmen09 said:

You had Gabriel Jesus go down in the World Cup, whose a Brazilian striker that plays for the top team in the English Premier League. The World Cup is the top prize in Soccer, so regardless of when it is, the top guys go.

Also, it's not typically in the Winter during the season. They did it this time because of the excessive heat in Qatar.

I don't see why they couldn't have the qualifying/pool play during preseason/spring training then play the quarters, semis, and finals over a 10 day span during the traditional All-Star break. Even if they only did it every other year like the Ryder Cup in Golf or every 4 years like the World Cup or Olympics, I think that would be a MASSIVE draw for the game and capture a lot of casual fans. Especially during the dog days of summer when there are really no other major sports leagues to compete with.
PhatMack19
AG
I missed the game tonight. Everyone is dogging the pitching, but they gave up 2 solo homers and an rbi groundout to a dude from California. 3 runs allowed doesn't seem like a pitching problem
wildmen09
AG
I like that idea a lot, or maybe just semi and final? Where do we submit our proposal?
beagle2009
AG
Someone get Manfred on the phone…
texag06ish
AG
I don't watch a lot of baseball but got pulled into this tournament after Penn State eliminated the Ag's. I had no idea who he was before tonight.
wildmen09
AG
1800FUSTROS…got it
wildmen09
AG
That's a shame…modern day Bambino
Nanomachines son
texag06ish said:

I don't watch a lot of baseball but got pulled into this tournament after Penn State eliminated the Ag's. I had no idea who he was before tonight.

So long as the Astros beat the living crap out of everyone in that division, he's never going be the face of the MLB. Same thing goes with Trout. They are possibly the two best players of this generation but happen to be on the same team in the same division with one of the greatest teams in the history of the sport (Astros). The Angels may never actually win much of anything even both of them.
bearkatag15
AG
BMX Bandit
Quito said:

I think the US Pitchers will find a way to make it work. What about a 3-4 one week and 3-4 the next?

Just like US pitchers need to step up, I think US fans need to. We had fewer fans than other team at almost every game we played.

I think this WBC will be a spark plug fir MLB, US pitchers and for the US fans. My boys and I already planning to go in '23.
hate to break it to you, but there aren't any more games!
BCSWguru
Hate to break it to you, but nobody outside the Astros viewing area cares about Houston. No matter how "good" they are. WBC did wonders for the game worldwide.
wangus12
AG
The radio is convinced this morning that Japan has passed the USA in terms of talent in the sport
Nanomachines son
LSCSN said:

Hate to break it to you, but nobody outside the Astros viewing area cares about Houston. No matter how "good" they are. WBC did wonders for the game worldwide.
I never said anyone cared about the Astros, only that the Angels will never win anything with either of them and that's a problem for marketing.

If your star players never make the playoff, how do you really market them?
jkag89
LSCSN said:

Nobody?
wangus12
AG
That's not what he's saying. He's saying it's hard to market 2 guys who, no matter how great they are, have spent their careers below .500 and never in the post season. Hard to market guys who don't win games
OKCAg2002
AG
Japan is super competitive and they proved it. But if that game was part of a 7 game series, I think USA wins in 5. Japan's pitchers were mostly unknown to USA hitters, and what makes the MLB so dang good is that the players make adjustments. In a tournament like this, though, Team Japan shines.
AggieDub25
wangus12 said:

The radio is convinced this morning that Japan has passed the USA in terms of talent in the sport

Japan has surpassed us in that event in terms of their best players wanting to play and win for their country. Overall talent? Nah. I have no idea what the Japanese professional league schedule is nor do I know how long before the WBC they were training for. I do know if the US rolled their best team out there in mid season form, we roll that tournament.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

I do know if the US rolled their best team out there in mid season form, we roll that tournament.
the dominican team would not be easy to beat with "best team out there in mid season form"
BCSWguru
wangus12 said:

That's not what he's saying. He's saying it's hard to market 2 guys who, no matter how great they are, have spent their careers below .500 and never in the post season. Hard to market guys who don't win games

For "one of the greatest teams in the history of the sport" you'd think they'd be more recognizable. But they're not. Nobody cares. Ohtani might play for a bottom feeder in America, but everyone knows him.

Something we can all agree on...Manfred and Tony Clark are terrible for baseball.
AggieDub25
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

I do know if the US rolled their best team out there in mid season form, we roll that tournament.
the dominican team would not be easy to beat with "best team out there in mid season form"

Good point. I still think a healthy USA team with their best possible pitching rotation would win that tournament. Oh well. We will likely never see that scenario play out anyway.
BMX Bandit
i think US would still be favorite, but it would not be a cakewalk.
Farmer1906
AG
AggieDub25 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Good point. I still think a healthy USA team with their best possible pitching rotation would win that tournament. Oh well. We will likely never see that scenario play out anyway.
We'd be the favorites by a large margin, but its baseball. Look how stacked DR was yet they couldn't make it out of pool play.
AggieDub25
Agreed. The original response was about Japan surpassing us in talent which is absolutely not true. They have some very good players and likely the best player on the planet right now, but overall talent? I'd have to strongly disagree with that take.

I'd argue that if Kyle Tucker was available and started that game, the US would have won. Again, we will never know, but I'd take that bet.
Farmer1906
AG
AggieDub25 said:

Agreed. The original response was about Japan surpassing us in talent which is absolutely not true. They have some very good players and likely the best player on the planet right now, but overall talent? I'd have to strongly disagree with that take.
Yup.

We roll up with a handful of these guys - JV, Scherzer, Nola, Wheeler, deGrom, Snell, Cease, Gallen, Fried, Bieber, Burns, McClanahan, McCullers, Woodruff, Gausman, or Strider - and its a whole new story.
Ag_07
AG
It was interesting to hear the postgame crew discuss the differences in Japanese and American baseball.

Arod mentioned that analytics have not yet caught on in Japan and they play an old school style similar to 90s MLB ball. They hit to contact and they pitch with movement. The true outcome approach and the high spin power pitching hasn't taken root there yet.

It's just a different style and while the nuisances aren't there it's a style that places a high priority on just winning and it works well over the short time frame of a tournament like this but probably not so much over a full 162.

Interesting and insightful conversation
Farmer1906
AG
JJxvi
AG
Japan has always been better than the United States in this. The USA has only taken it semi-seriously in the last two events. Japan has won 3 out of 5 and never finished lower than 3rd place.
JJxvi
AG
It is likely that Japanese players could flood every level of American baseball if it became necessary or they wanted to. We've seen much smaller countries like the Dominican do that on a fairly large scale. The difference is that the Japanese have their own league, which is very rich, and very successful, and it is a developed country. Every Japanese team likely has a couple to several major league quality players on it, and all of the rest would be playing somewhere professionally here too if their league did not exist.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.