***2023 World Baseball Classic***

21,709 Views | 456 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by redline248
PhatMack19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Weird watching the interview with the dude from California talk about We and representing our country while playing for Japan. That's one thing I don't like about WBC. You shouldn't be able to pick and choose which country to play for.
pasquale
AG
Darvish will start but Ohtani said he is available during post game interview.
Wabs
AG
I think Darvish starts. Ohtani to finish.
bearkatag15
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Weird watching the interview with the dude from California talk about We and representing our country while playing for Japan. That's one thing I don't like about WBC. You shouldn't be able to pick and choose which country to play for.
One of his parents are Japanese which is how he has a connection to the team.... I'm good with that. Arozarena on the other hand has no connection to Mexico
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Wasn't crazy about that either. His mom is Japanese though so that is how he made the team. I learned today his full name is Lars Taylor-Tatsuji Nootbaar.
RED AG 98
AG
The rules are better than the Olympics or World Cup though, where a distant relative's housekeeper is usually sufficient.
OKCAg2002
AG
He's a Mexican citizen now.
BQ_90
AG
Some of these players have talked about playing for the country their parents or grandparents are from, I'm ok with that. You get to honor your family.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

PhatMack19 said:

One of his parents are Japanese which is how he has a connection to the team.... I'm good with that. Arozarena on the other hand has no connection to Mexico

Not no connection. He defected to Mexico. He played in a Mexican league. He has a Mexican daughter. I can feel for guy who fled Cuba and wants to represent the country that took him in.

And as a baseball product, it's better with Randy on Mexico.

PhatMack19
AG
Marcus Stroman was the MVP when USA won it last time. Now he's playing for Puerto Rico, because his mom lived there when she was 8. I don't agree with it
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

PhatMack19 said:

Not no connection. He defected to Mexico. He played in a Mexican league. He has a Mexican daughter. I can feel for guy who fled Cuba and wants to represent the country that took him in.

And as a baseball product, it's better with Randy on Mexico.

Did not know all of that.. Thanks. I take back my comment
agproducer
AG
Interesting on Murakami: The kid is only 23, so we have to wait for a couple years before he's here.

He hit 95 HRs in Japan the last two years. His career OPS is .971 and last year it was 1.168.
Farmer1906
AG
RED AG 98
AG
Spadilly just posted this to the Astros thread but it needs to be here as well. 30.4??? Sheesh!

Farmer1906
AG
redline248
AG
A guy most (if not all) of the US players have probably never faced? Maybe an opener strategy? I would expect both Yu and Shohei to pitch at some point.
BoxingAg84
Japanese commentators lose their minds on the walk off.

BMX Bandit
The only one thy bothers me is manny machado. Born and raised in US, good enough to make the US team.

I get that he es yes to honor his grandfather, but how about showing some respect for the country that gave you the opportunity to be a multi millionaire?

I don't think they need to change any rules, they should be able to play for who they want if it's their heritage. But I can still not like their choices. It may be because I already don't like him.
MallalieuAg
AG
bearkatag15 said:

PhatMack19 said:

Isn't he a citizen of Mexico? He just happens to be an immigrant from Cuba. He probably feels more at home in Mexico than America. The WBC has been amazing.
AustinCountyAg
too many people are trying way to hard to get pissy about someone playing for a certain country. The rules are fine.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Exactly. Sure it's an exhibition tournament, but the actual baseball being played is the most fun baseball I've watched in years and that's including the best parts of MLB's playoffs. This year's WBC has been awesome.
RED AG 98
AG
Well, yeah.

jkag89
MallalieuAg said:

bearkatag15 said:

PhatMack19 said:

Isn't he a citizen of Mexico? He just happens to be an immigrant from Cuba. He probably feels more at home in Mexico than America. The WBC has been amazing.
He has made his home in Mexico since his defection from Cuba and has become a naturalized citizen.
BQ_90
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Spadilly just posted this to the Astros thread but it needs to be here as well. 30.4??? Sheesh!

on the replay i saw last night it almost looked like he had to pull up so he didn't pass up the guy in front of him
Farmer1906
AG
BQ_90 said:

RED AG 98 said:

on the replay i saw last night it almost looked like he had to pull up so he didn't pass up the guy in front of him

Lollygagging Ohtani.
Farmer1906
AG
What an interesting question. We know Ohtani, Yu, Nootbar are good/great, but after that, just how would the rest of these guys translate to 162.

bearkatag15
AG
DeRosa just said he moved Trae Turner from 9th to 6th.

Tucker isn't starting. Still nursing the shin/ankle thing. Said he's available. Mullins is starting in his place
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906
AG
cap-n-jack
cap-n-jack
Turner is on fire.
Farmer1906
AG
He's the MVP if we win.
Farmer1906
AG
2 runners on
Pitcher up to about 30 pitchers
Mookie up

Let's add to the lead
Wabs
AG
Our pitching is a problem
TMACsDaMan
Merrill Kelly was the best we put out there in a championship game?!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.