*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,479 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
investorAg83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gigem1223 said:

DeGrom
Perez
Gray
Eovaldi
Heaney
Odorizzi/ Dunning/ Otto

Pretty solid rotation with nice back end depth

Only rotation I like a bit more might be the Yankees. Think I prefer ours because I LOVE deGrom, but theirs has very little drop off from 1-5. Now go trade for a corner OF and let's roll.
DallasAg 94
investorAg83 said:

gigem1223 said:

DeGrom
Perez
Gray
Eovaldi
Heaney
Odorizzi/ Dunning/ Otto

Pretty solid rotation with nice back end depth

Only rotation I like a bit more might be the Yankees. Think I prefer ours because I LOVE deGrom, but theirs has very little drop off from 1-5. Now go trade for a corner OF and let's roll.
Lots of upside.

Lots of risk.

Lots of depth.

You expect to have some injuries during the season and this depth helps ensure we can plug the hole.

Odorizzi has 1 yr /$12.5M. He is likely the long RP. Dunning and Otto both have Options left.

If you are starting Dunning or Otto as your #5 coming out of ST, there are worse fates.

The money is getting to the playoffs and having 3 solid SP. IMO, the Rangers can be a playoff team with Dunning and Otto as your #5.
investorAg83
AG
I love that the ace is locked in for the foreseeable future and by the time the other pieces are rolling off the payroll, our young arm talent will be coming up. This rotation could be FILTHY in 3 years.
WestTexasAg
AG
investorAg83 said:

I love that the ace is locked in for the foreseeable future and by the time the other pieces are rolling off the payroll, our young arm talent will be coming up. This rotation could be FILTHY in 3 years.
Well said. We'll see how it plays out, but it sure feels like the front office got this one right!
wbt5845
AG
What a great surprise to wake up to.

If healthy, this rotation is as good as anyone in the AL, except MAYBE the Yankees.

To get a feel for the overhaul, Jake Odorizzi, who barring injury probably doesn't start for us next year, would have been our #2 SP at the end of last season. He would have been our #3 coming out of ST.
gigem1223
Fangraphs now has the Rangers as the #2 rotation in baseball

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=SP
Mr Gigem
AG
gigem1223 said:

Fangraphs now has the Rangers as the #2 rotation in baseball

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=SP

That's going to upset Astros fans
double aught
AG
Im sure they'll survive.
Legal Custodian
AG
Seriously though, what an overhaul of the pitching staff from top to bottom. We might actually be pretty good this year, woohoo!
jtstanley4621
AG
The rotation is night and day from what it was last season. We've now got enough depth to slide someone in the row took for the likely inevitable DeGrom injury (knocking on wood as I type this)

Between what we have now and the hopeful continued development of the younger pitchers in the minors I finally feel not completely hopeless about our rotation
Jimtim1216
S
What is most encouraging is that you can afford to skip a start or 2 for each starter and the fall off will not be that great.
alvtimes
Any thoughts to Rangers resigning Matt Moore as a bullpen piece??? $2.5 last yr for a sub 2 era.
gigem1223
Still need some lock down BP pieces, definitely a closer. Would definitely resign Moore. Clase sure would be nice to have right now.
wbt5845
AG
The bullpen is going to be a function of which pitchers hang around.

Right now, starters that could potentially be in the bullpen:

Jake Odorizzi R
Dane Dunning R
Cole Ragans L
Glenn Otto R

Dunning hangs around since he's been hurt and has low trade value. He has options, so he can go back down. I'd like to trade Otto and keep Odorizzi and Ragans.

Guys in the bullpen who are under contract. I'll bold the guys who I want to see back next year.

Joe Barlow R
Jos Leclerc R
Jonathan Hernndez R
Brett Martin L
Brock Burke L
Taylor Hearn L
Josh Sborz R
Yerry Rodriguez R
John King L

So with a 9 man bullpen, that would leave us with room for one more guy. I do like this bullpen.
gigem1223
Wouldn't count out Howard either. I believe he could be a very effective BP arm.
KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

Jake Odorizzi R
Dane Dunning R
Cole Ragans L
Glenn Otto R

Dunning hangs around since he's been hurt and has low trade value. He has options, so he can go back down. I'd like to trade Otto and keep Odorizzi and Ragans.

Guys in the bullpen who are under contract. I'll bold the guys who I want to see back next year.

Joe Barlow R
Jos Leclerc R
Jonathan Hernndez R
Brett Martin L
Brock Burke L
Taylor Hearn L
Josh Sborz R
Yerry Rodriguez R
John King L

So with a 9 man bullpen, that would leave us with room for one more guy. I do like this bullpen.

LeClerc and Hernandez were both coming off of TJ surgery and only got a partial season in. I am expecting them (hopefully!) to return to prior form in 2023.

And just being able to roll out a much improved starting rotation will help the bullpen. When the starters struggle to generate a quality start, it taxes the bullpen with too many innings. I think a more rested bullpen will also help to improve what was struggling bullpen we had in 2022.
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

Wouldn't count out Howard either. I believe he could be a very effective BP arm.

If he is going to make it in the MLB, I think it'll be as a reliever. He doesn't seem to have an effective enough pitch arsenal to be a starter.

But having said that, I'd still package him in a trade and let some other team experiment with him to see if he can be effective. With the improved overall staff, and several prospects that will hopefully be ready soon, his opportunities here may be limited.
alvtimes
wbt5845 said:

Jake Odorizzi R
Dane Dunning R
Cole Ragans L
Glenn Otto R

Joe Barlow R
Jos Leclerc R
Jonathan Hernndez R
Brett Martin L
Brock Burke L
Taylor Hearn L
Josh Sborz R
Yerry Rodriguez R
John King L

Give me Matt Moore and Brock Burke and Ragans as my lefties outta the pen then wait and see the plan for Heaney. Seems like Hearn was much better outta the pen but I cant separate his starter/bullpen numbers to see if he was actually any better as a reliever.
Mr Gigem
AG
rbtexan said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

Yeah I really don't look this move. White is a speed threat and plays great defense, still time for his bat to come around

Eli White will be 29 next season. Exactly when is his bat going to "come around"?

He's never hit, except one solid year in AA in '18. He's a career .185 hitter in the majors. And did I mention he'll be 29 next season?

What exactly does he provide that Bubba Thompson doesn't? Thompson is younger and has a higher ceiling, this is not a huge loss and certainly not a mistake on the part of the Rangers. He had his chances (351 ABs in the majors) and he is what he is.

Wish him luck but he was never going to be anything more than a sub.

Eli White has been traded to Atlanta for cash
DannyDuberstein
AG
How much did we have to pay them?
Mr Gigem
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

They gave us cash
wbt5845
AG
alvtimes said:

Seems like Hearn was much better outta the pen but I cant separate his starter/bullpen numbers to see if he was actually any better as a reliever.
https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news/texas-rangers-40-man-roster-taylor-hearn-profile-review-offseason

Quote:

He started the season in the rotation and lasted through mid-June. Command and pitch count, which go hand-in-hand, were his biggest issues. During his stint in the rotation he went 4-5 with a 6.25 ERA.

But in August, the Rangers gave him a full bullpen roll and his command and numbers flourished. In his final 15 games Hearn went 2-2, recorded his first career save and dropped his ERA to 4.25, nearly two points below his ERA as a starter. Perhaps most importantly, batters hit .212 against him during that time. As a starter, the opponent batting average was better than .300.
wbt5845
AG
Mr Gigem said:

DannyDuberstein said:

They gave us cash
This shows how little value he had. Dude has a couple of tools, but that's it. And he's at the age where the few tools he does have will start to diminish
hawk1689
AG
gigem1223 said:

Sorry, but it's time to acknowledge that we got fleeced on that one. We even gave up a prospect to get what they already knew was garbage.
investorAg83
AG
wbt5845 said:

Mr Gigem said:

DannyDuberstein said:

They gave us cash
This shows how little value he had. Dude has a couple of tools, but that's it. And he's at the age where the few tools he does have will start to diminish

Have to remember we just picked up Mears on waivers and DFA'd White. We had a week to trade him or he'd go on waivers to just be claimed. At least we got cash.

Cash plus Mears for White.
AgBQ-00
AG
Will be good to see what Maddux can do with these arms. If anything like his last stint with us, he will get more out of them than we've seen before
gigem1223
hawk1689 said:

gigem1223 said:

Sorry, but it's time to acknowledge that we got fleeced on that one. We even gave up a prospect to get what they already knew was garbage.

What does this have to do with anything I said? I acknowledge he's been a bust as a SP, but he's got the stuff to be a pretty damn good BP arm. His problem hasn't been swing and miss, it's going multiple innings and/or avoiding the blow up inning.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Mr Gigem said:

DannyDuberstein said:

They gave us cash

Sarcasm
rbtexan
S
hawk1689 said:

gigem1223 said:

I think saying we got "fleeced" is overstating it. We took a flyer on a supposedly high potential/under performing player and, so far, it hasn't worked out. That said, Gibson hasn't exactly set the world on fire since he's been gone (14-14 with about a 5.06 ERA). It's not like we got Howard for Lance Lynn. We didn't get much for Gibson, but in retrospect he had a career year with the Rangers and wasn't realistically worth all that much to begin with. He has pretty much settled back in to what he has always been, a bottom of the rotation type pitcher. It only looks really bad because our pitching has been so awful the past few years. I would suggest that Kyle Gibson would have a very hard time making the current Rangers roster given the pitchers we've acquired.
Jimbo Franchione
wbt5845
AG
Way too early too give up on Spencer Howard. Dude is only 26.
AgBQ-00
AG
This season has a chance to be fun. If the offense can produce like last year, and pitching stay relatively healthy we should see quite the jump forward record wise
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think the offense will be adequate. It was #12 in runs scored. I see two keys: 1) a bullpen to protect leads that these starters hand over (bullpens tend to be year to year propositions) and 2) staying healthy. With an adequate pen and decent health, I think this will be a WC team
bmac_aggie18
AG
I live in Houston and my co-workers nephew is actually Nathan Eovaldi. Went and talked to her after he signed and she said he had a 1yr offer from Boston that almost matched this 2 year deal, but he was ready to come back closer to home since he grew up in Alvin. He also plans on retiring a Ranger as he's going into the tail end of his career. He actually just built a house in Friendswood and does not like the Astros haha so Texas was where he wanted.

I know cool story bro...but thought it was neat and figured I would share!
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein said:

I think the offense will be adequate. It was #12 in runs scored. I see two keys: 1) a bullpen to protect leads that these starters hand over (bullpens tend to be year to year propositions) and 2) staying healthy. With an adequate pen and decent health, I think this will be a WC team
5th in the AL.

I don't know how many Bullpen days we had for pitching, in which we didn't use a SP... Bush had 5 GS, Arihara had 4, and others had 11 more GS.

Also, IP/GS in 2022:
deGrom - 5.8
Eovaldi - 5.4
Heaney - ~5.0

Replace:
Dunning: 29GS @ 5.27 IP/GS
Otto: 27GS @ 5.0
Hearn: 13GS @ 4.5
Howard: 8GS @ 4.25
Ragans: 9GS @ 4.44

Health will certainly be critical. If we can get 5 2/3 IP+ per GS our BP will look good.
DallasAg 94
I get recruiters from the NE asking if I'd be able to commute to Houston from Dallas.

Dallas is just a suburb of Houston and Austin.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.