*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

109,455 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Mr Gigem
rbtexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I don't think Thompson is going anywhere. The rule changes are going to make him a dangerous weapon as a 4th OF. Great speed and defense. Duran played the OF some last season and is close to mlb ready. I'd try to include him in the deal with the pitch that he can step in and replace Reynolds.
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

I keep looking at these potential deals for Reynolds that include Bubba and a bunch of guys and find myself thinking "man Bubba could just play that position and we could keep all those guys".

I know Bubba =/= Reynolds - but is he that much worse that the upgrade is worth all that?
I think at the end of the day, Bubba may become Reynolds... and quicker than we realize. That is the game.

Do you pay for past performance and gamble the future.

Sometimes, the best trades are not made.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

wbt5845 said:

I keep looking at these potential deals for Reynolds that include Bubba and a bunch of guys and find myself thinking "man Bubba could just play that position and we could keep all those guys".

I know Bubba =/= Reynolds - but is he that much worse that the upgrade is worth all that?
I think at the end of the day, Bubba may become Reynolds... and quicker than we realize. That is the game.

Do you pay for past performance and gamble the future.

Sometimes, the best trades are not made.

I've posted a couple times that I'm in favor of giving Thompson (and/or Duran) a shot in LF. I was encouraged by what he showed at the end of the season when he got a shot. If it doesn't work out, you can explore trades a couple months or so into the season.

I wouldn't have a problem with a Reynolds's trade, but I'd be concerned about giving up too much.
twilly
AG

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
investorAg83
AG
Can't read the DallasNews article but isn't he 16…maybe 17.
AgBQ-00
AG
That could be very fun.
KT 90
AG
investorAg83 said:

Can't read the DallasNews article but isn't he 16…maybe 17.
Article says he is 16
wbt5845
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor
I think I'd rather keep my guys and their potential vs have Reynolds for what? Two seasons?
investorAg83
AG
Trusting CY to make a good deal of he can or walk away from a bad one.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Leiter has to be a complete non-starter.
Mr Gigem
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

I think I'd rather keep my guys and their potential vs have Reynolds for what? Two seasons?

Three years. He's under contract through 2023, and Arb 3 and 4 for 2024 and 2025. UFA in 2026
TexAg1822
AG
Agreed. I would think that Leiter would be completely off the table, Rocker probably too.

However, I do think there are enough pieces and depth for CY to at least offer a package. But trusting him to make the smart decision whichever way he goes!
KT 90
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Unless Pittsburgh is determined to trade Reynolds prior to the season, there is nothing wrong with running Thompson/Duran out in LF for the first couple of months of the season and see how it goes. Then at that point if we are looking for an upgrade, maybe I am a little more willing to move one of the top young pitching prospects.

KT 90
AG
investorAg83 said:

Trusting CY to make a good deal of he can or walk away from a bad one.
Agreed.
Mr Gigem
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Leiter has to be a complete non-starter.

Yep. I'd even be hesitant on Owen White. But if it came to getting a deal done, he'd be one I'm okay with.

Still think you could send a package of Dunning, Ragans, and Winn, plus maybe one other (White?) and get it done
thegoodolag15
AG
I'm not keen on giving up Leiter, Rocker, Porter, or White.
rbtexan
S
thegoodolag15 said:

I'm not keen on giving up Leiter, Rocker, Porter, or White.
Agreed. I wouldn't give up any of those....I'd rather see the Rangers send more total players than do that. Something like Dunning/Otto, Ragans, Winn, Dustin Harris, and Josh Smith or Duran. Maybe even a guy from the lower levels of the minors like Tekoah Roby.
Jimbo Franchione
wbt5845
AG
If they were willing to do White for Reynolds straight up, I'd do that. But they'll want a lot more than that.
jtstanley4621
AG
TBH I feel like we are finally on the verge of having starting pitching be a strength for this team and I want that so much more than I want another OF, even if the guy is young and good.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

TBH I feel like we are finally on the verge of having starting pitching be a strength for this team and I want that so much more than I want another OF, even if the guy is young and good.

I've felt like since the Rangers got mentioned that we had the prospects to do it if we wanted to. I just don't think we're going to be willing to give what they want and, if their asking price is what it seems, I'm perfectly fine with that.
KT 90
AG
Evan Grants take:

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Seems like the only way the Rangers realistically do it is if the Pirates get desperate for some reason and lower their price, but at that point I'd imagine people would rejoin the chase.
rbtexan
S
I think it's worth noting that Duran is playing winter ball in the Dominican. He's primarily playing the OF there, which leads me to believe that's where his future lies.
Jimbo Franchione
gigem1223
The Lonestarballers seem to think the Reynolds deal is going to happen.
Legal Custodian
AG
gigem1223 said:

The Lonestarballers seem to think the Reynolds deal is going to happen.
Who is Lonestarballers?
gigem1223
https://www.lonestarball.com/
investorAg83
AG
Some guy on instagram running the account rangers.nation is claiming to have heard from someone inside the organization that a trade of Leiter plus prospects has been agreed on.

I know…my sister boyfriends cousins gardener said xxxxx. But still. Would hate to lose Leiter but if it's just him and a few throw in prospects, I'd take it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnTEfuDOX7m/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
DannyDuberstein
AG
Hmmm. Wonder if they soured on Leiter's ceiling some. He walked a lot of hitters this year. A lot. But I would think it's way too soon to make that judgment, especially after not pitching much for 2 years.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
investorAg83 said:

Some guy on instagram running the account rangers.nation is claiming to have heard from someone inside the organization that a trade of Leiter plus prospects has been agreed on.

I know…my sister boyfriends cousins gardener said xxxxx. But still. Would hate to lose Leiter but if it's just him and a few throw in prospects, I'd take it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnTEfuDOX7m/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Ugh. I hope that's not true.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Reynolds is a nice one player, but I just don't see giving up top tier prospects for 3 seasons of controllable "nice".
J.P. 03
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Hmmm. Wonder if they soured on Leiter's ceiling some. He walked a lot of hitters this year. A lot. But I would think it's way too soon to make that judgment, especially after not pitching much for 2 years.

The Battered Rangers Fan in me wants to say that the quickest way to raise a pitching prospect's ceiling is to trade him away, usually for someone who doesn't pan out.

That said, I agree…it feels way too early to give up on Leiter.
alvtimes
Here is my question with unknown answer… Is Reynolds trying to demand a big deal even though he is under team control thru 25? If he is wanting 8 for $168 like Matt Olson then Id say Rangers should pass. Id like him on the roster for 23 but only at his current value or a little more ….. but not 20 mil per
DallasAg 94
I didn't know that he was specifically looking for a deal other than to just get traded.

I'm sure he hates the speculation and will be tossed around in trade rumors as long as he is a Pirate.

I also suspect that he recognizes being on another crappy Pirate team with little to no protection will hurt his production in the final years of team control. Even if Arb.

To your point, I would expect him to want to sign a deal. He is 28, next week. That means he'll be 31 as a FA. He'll want big numbers.

Picture:
Semien
Lowe (L)
Reynolds (S)
Seager (L)
Garcia

alvtimes
That said ... the bridge is already burned. Per Heyman's sources, Reynolds sought a Matt Olson-type extension in Pittsburgh (eight years, $168 million), while the Pirates countered with six years and $75 million, which is about two years' worth of Aaron Judge's deal. For a player already disillusioned with his surroundings, that was, uh, not going to get it done

$168 ish….. no thanks….. let the Dodgers, Yanks or Padres soak up that!!! If he takes 6/$75 to be outta Pittsburgh I'd be onboard as long as Leiter stays also

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.