*****Official 2022 Rangers Off-Season Thread*****

113,353 Views | 1323 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Mr Gigem
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No. He strikes out more than he puts the ball in play
vander54
S
Yeah. I'm curious to see how he does with the new rules.
World's worst proofreader
gigem1223
vander54 said:

I think us fans want the OF more than the front offices does.

Well CY has stated that corner OF is a need, along with more pitching.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Gallo may be interesting with the new rules, but I would hope someone did the math on it since analytics should capture it. It may not be a big impact. His K's and slumps create such a pothole in the lineup. For a guy that can hit dingers, his run production just sucks. So many solo shots and otherwise little to nothing.
KT 90
AG
I don't mind giving Thompson a shot in LF, increased speed and defense is always good to have. But Benintendi at 5 for $75 ($15per) sounds pretty reasonable. I think we should've kicked the tires a bit on that one.

And I think the Twins made a good low risk, high reward move giving Gallo a one year deal at $11 mil. He might hit 40 bombs and win another gold glove. Or he might hit below the Mendoza line again and continue to struggle, but I would be willing to bet with the shift rule changes that he'll hit at least .225ish or so.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Below the mazara line
wbt5845
AG
I don't think the Rangers wanted to offer Benintendi 5 years since OF talent in the system will be here within that time frame.

And something is fundamentally broken with Gallo. Amazing stat - the dude only has two - TWO - sacrifice flies in his career. With a man on third and less than two outs, it's damn near impossible for him to simply loft the ball to the outfield to get that man in.

It's not the shift that hurts him - it's the gray matter between his ears (or lack thereof) that hurts him.

Now - wanna talk about how Seager will benefit from no shift...
Mr Gigem
AG
Seager will be at or right around .300 next season, maybe over
Jimtim1216
S
Mr Gigem said:

Seager will be at or right around .300 next season, maybe over

I'll say.280, but RBI's will go up 5-10%
Jimtim1216
S
I would like to see us get Wacha.
Mr Gigem
AG
Wacha went 11-2 last year with a 3.30 ERA. Surprised he's still a FA
Schall 02
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Wacha went 11-2 last year with a 3.30 ERA. Surprised he's still a FA

I know he's an Aggie but where's he from?
gigem1223
Iowa
TexAg1822
AG
What does the outfield look like now w/o Calhoun in right? Think we're better off but curious how they'll utilize the plethora of multiple position guys
jkag89
gigem1223 said:

Iowa
But played his high school ball at Pleasant Grove High School in Texarkana.
MountainAg99
AG
Anything changed on Rondo? Still have a chance for the Rangers?
investorAg83
AG
Yankees
rbtexan
S
I'm getting the impression that the Rangers are going to roll with the starters they have., barring a trade. They might still pick up a bullpen arm or two. They really need another bat IMO, someone who can make a reasonable amount of contact and get on base.
Jimbo Franchione
investorAg83
AG
Trades should start flowing with the FA pool drying up. Unless Conforto signs as an FA, I'd expect them to trade to fill corner OF. Not sure we have the young talent to throw out there considering they seem to be taking a win now approach with the signings. Saw this same take posted on a FA chat thread.
Super Aggie 64
AG
ESPN announced the Sunday Night Baseball schedule for April, and the Rangers have two appearances.
4/2 Phillies @ Rangers
4/16 Rangers @ Astros

It seems like it has been a long time since the Rangers were even on SNB. Will Marlins Man be able to grab a ticket in one of the field level suites?
wbt5845
AG
Article suggests Seager will benefit from the shift ban more than any other batter in baseball.

https://www.mlb.com/news/how-corey-seager-can-benefit-from-new-shift-rules

Quote:

In 2022, Seager hit .245/.317/.455, a .772 OPS.

In no-shift 2022, Seager may have hit .278/.347/.489, an .836 OPS.

KT 90
AG
Ooops...

MrCoachEricTaylor
Must've broke another rib in a massage
wbt5845
AG
KT 90 said:

Ooops...

OMFG

https://nypost.com/2022/12/21/carlos-correa-agrees-to-12-year-315-million-deal-with-mets/

Quote:

Superstar Carlos Correa and the Mets worked out a middle-of-the-night deal after his Giants deal fell through, the New York Post has learned. Correa's new deal with the Mets is for $315 million over 12 years, sources told The Post.

Something came up on Correa's medical with the Giants, and Cohen stepped in to do the deal he thought had gotten away from him. Correa will play third base for the Mets, giving the Mets a star-studded team and Cohen a record payroll north of $380 million.

"We need one more thing, and this is it," Cohen told The Post from Hawaii. "This was important … This puts us over the top. This is a good team. I hope it's a good team!"
wbt5845
AG
AgBQ-00
AG
Wondering what the issue was that the Giants were out, but the Mets are ready to dump all that money on him.
KT 90
AG
Are we interested ?

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm torn on the guy. He's not a criminal, but he's now a well known weirdo and regardless of all that, the result of his presence in a locker room is questionable. He's got talent, I'm just not sure it's worth it with everything that comes with it.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I used to not care for him too much, but since he's been suspended he does a lot of YouTube videos (both funny and about baseball) and he's a really bright baseball mind. But I have heard that not all of his teammates have liked him.

I'd be super happy to have him though.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Smarts is definitely not a knock on the guy and I do think he's done a lot of research into how to turn yourself from a mediocre pitcher into an upper level talent. The things that make him able to do that though seem to make him a really awkward person that can rub people the wrong way. I wouldn't hate it, but I'd have some serious reservations.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I wouldn't hesitate to give him a 1 year deal loaded with behavioral clauses. Dude was into some dumbass stuff but it wasn't criminal, and I don't believe that means someone shouldn't ever be allowed to work again.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't see a one year deal getting it done though. Somebody's going to give the guy a contract.
MrCoachEricTaylor
He's notorious for only signing shorter term deals with high AAV.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Maybe, but this first deal is gonna come with a reclamation discount and I can actually see Bauer preferring that be a short one, so that he can get to the next at full value
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Maybe so. If they can get it, great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.