***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,312,244 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Bag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Honest question: is next year still considered Hunter's rookie year?
yes
Texaggie7nine
7nine
Farmer1906
AG
BCSGrubber said:

McInnis said:

The thing with Stanek is puzzling. As some of you pointed out, he puts a lot of batters on base, but he's really good at not letting them score. For the top relievers:

Pitcher -WHIP/ERA

Neris - 1.01/ 3.72
Monterro - 1.02/ 2.37
Abreu - 1.18/ 1.94
Stanek - 1.23/ 1.15

If you only look at walks per inning, he has by far the highest ratio.

Neris - 0.26
Monterro - 0.38
Abreu - 0.43
Stankek - 0.57

Last night I got the feeling that the Phillies have seen enough of Monterro. All of their hitters have a few ABs against him by now. Maybe we will be seeing more of Stanek tomorrow?
One of the radio stations we comparing Montero's usage to that of Will Harris in 2019. Solid all year until they ran out of gas.
When did Harris "run out of gas"? His ERA ended up being 1.86 that postseason. His velo was up and his spin was thru the roof (spydertack!). The juiced balls of '19 struck when Kendrick stuck his bat out there on an absolutely painted cutter.

I think it probably has more to do with weapons. Montero, like Harris, relied on 1 main pitch and was seen a ton.
Farmer1906
AG
iamtheglove said:

Farmer1906 said:

It's an off day. Let's talk Mr Jeremy and his long Pena. Would you consider giving him one of those Wander / Fernando / Julio type deals?

Tatis Jr - 340/14 - 24.3 AAV
Rodriguez - 209/12 - 17.4 AAV - heavy incentives
Franco - 182/11 - 16.5 AAV - some incentives

Pena is a little older than these guys so I don't think 12-14 years would make sense, but why not 9 or 10? Currently, he's under team control for 2022-2027, his age 24-29. This deal could keep him here until he's 34. He'd be a Jose Altuve type franchise player.

Right off the bat, his rookie year (regular season) is a step or two below this group. But the flash of excellence in the postseason gives you a reason to consider it because he could become that guy and then some. We're not buying the bottom, but we're buying the beginning of the incline.

Example of the contract I am thinking:
135/9 - 15 AAV - load it up with incentives for games played & firm league-adjusted numbers (not fan stuff gold gloves and All-Star appearances)

What do yall think? You Interested? Not? He'll want more money? Do it if he'll take less?

Interesting question. Right after Click signed Yordan for 6 years I posted that Framber and Tucker should be next. But now I think you have to add Peña and Javier to the list. So much team controlled talent. Would be great to lock up all 5 but not sure that level of commitment would ever happen
Not too dissimilar from before when we had Altuve, Bregman, Correa, Springer, Gurriel, Keuchel, McCullers, & Marwin.

4 got extended, 4 didn't.
texasaggie2015
AG
Quote:

I think it probably has more to do with weapons. Montero, like Harris, relied on 1 main pitch and was seen a ton.
This.
McInnis
AG
Quote:

When did Harris "run out of gas"? His ERA ended up being 1.86 that postseason.
In the 6th inning of game 7? Don't know if he ran out of gas, but he sure waited until the worst possible time to have his worst outing. People still bang on Hinch for not bringing in Cole but I'm guessing if Harris got the Astros out of that inning with the lead intact that maybe we would have seen Cole the next inning - ??
texasaggie2015
AG
Dude, what? It was a good pitch. Sometimes you get beat. Kendrick poked his bat out there and it hit the foul pole.
Farmer1906
AG
McInnis said:

Quote:

In the 6th inning of game 7? Don't know if he ran out of gas, but he sure waited until the worst possible time to have his worst outing. People still bang on Hinch for not bringing in Cole but I'm guessing if Harris got the Astros out of that inning with the lead intact that maybe we would have seen Cole the next inning - ??

Something you throw your best pitch and it gets hit. Go back and see where it was. Right at the bottom corner of the zone.
texasaggie2015
AG
Pitching is like hitting in that sometimes you can have great execution and poor results. He executed the pitch well. He just got beat.
Bag
AG
CT75 said:

Bag said:

Beat40 said:

kegstand said:

If this team wins it all, that will be a picture in the clubhouse for years to come.
if this picture is in fact legit, you are talking about one of the greatest baseball photos ever taken

Fake...the glove arm never touched the ground and his legs were spread eagle.
I stand corrected...his glove arm did come down first upon further review.
have spent at least 2 hours trying to figure out whether this is real, I am leaning towards absolutely
bearkatag15
AG
Harry Lime said:

bearkatag15 said:

Cobos is the *****
Is it? I always glance over there when I'm heading to a game or something else downtown and wish I had time to check it out, but I'm not in that area much anymore unless I'm on my way somewhere else.
Its really really good food, plus a fun pre-game drinking spot before a game.
Texaggie7nine
I mean the Astros account posted it on their soc media. I'm thinking they probably made sure.
7nine
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Farmer1906 said:

McInnis said:

Quote:

Something you throw your best pitch and it gets hit. Go back and see where it was. Right at the bottom corner of the zone.

I mean the ball scharw hit out was probably exactly where verlander wanted it. It was 3 inches up out of the zone

Guy was just looking for it and got on top.

When I watched the replay I just shrugged and said well what more can you do
htxag09
AG
Yep. I said the same but was told nope, same old JV, choke job, get the pen up
Farmer1906
AG
Agreed. He did say it ran on him a little and go over the plate more than he wanted.
Ag_07
AG

Sex Panther
AG
AggiEE said:

Mathguy64 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Trash fanbase

We have been assured they are the best fans in the league. I do not understand this.

lmfao.

imagine houston fans going after Jeremy Pena's mom

I can't imagine it because Pena is a stud
bearkatag15
AG
BeowulfShaeffer said:

bearkatag15 said:

2023 Hunter Brown
"Rookie" Gurriel. OK, technically.
not just technically... he literally was
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG
iamtheglove
bearkatag15 said:

2023 Hunter Brown

This is why the word "dynasty" is being dropped. In this era of baseball, player identification and development is paramount. And the Astros excel at it.
BCSGrubber
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BCSGrubber said:

McInnis said:

The thing with Stanek is puzzling. As some of you pointed out, he puts a lot of batters on base, but he's really good at not letting them score. For the top relievers:

Pitcher -WHIP/ERA

Neris - 1.01/ 3.72
Monterro - 1.02/ 2.37
Abreu - 1.18/ 1.94
Stanek - 1.23/ 1.15

If you only look at walks per inning, he has by far the highest ratio.

Neris - 0.26
Monterro - 0.38
Abreu - 0.43
Stankek - 0.57

Last night I got the feeling that the Phillies have seen enough of Monterro. All of their hitters have a few ABs against him by now. Maybe we will be seeing more of Stanek tomorrow?
One of the radio stations we comparing Montero's usage to that of Will Harris in 2019. Solid all year until they ran out of gas.
When did Harris "run out of gas"? His ERA ended up being 1.86 that postseason. His velo was up and his spin was thru the roof (spydertack!). The juiced balls of '19 struck when Kendrick stuck his bat out there on an absolutely painted cutter.

Run out of gas comment was driven off the fact he gave up homers in Game 6 and Game 7.

It was likely driven more or as much by the fact that the Nats had seen him 3 times prior in the series.
bearkatag15
AG

who needs Jomboy if we had on field mics
BMX Bandit
Quote:

who needs Jomboy

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Listening to Blum on 790 and on several of his podcasts, he's made multiple references to not having a contract yet for next season. If he and TK are not back, there should be rioting in the streets. They need to lock both of them up before someone else recruits him away.
RED AG 98
AG
Cromagnum said:

kegstand said:

Astros possibly teasing throwback unis?

We are pitching Framber. I don't see this happening.
Whatever Framber wants.
Framber gets.
And little man Framber wants blue.

Framber always gets
What he aims for
And the Phillies heart and soul
Is what he came for

Whatever Framber wants.
Framber gets.

Take off your powder blues
Don't you know the Phllies can't win

There's no exception to the rule
It's irresistible, you fool
Give in. Give in. The Phils will never win.
Give in. Give in. The Astros champs again!

Post removed:
by user
EastCoastAgNc
AG
gougler08
AG
bearkatag15 said:

who needs Jomboy if we had on field mics

That ump handled it extremely well
Post removed:
by user
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Listening to Blum on 790 and on several of his podcasts, he's made multiple references to not having a contract yet for next season. If he and TK are not back, there should be rioting in the streets. They need to lock both of them up before someone else recruits him away.
you are obsessed with this.
CFTXAG10
AG
In already loaded form. I can't stop watching.

notsts
that is awesome
agdaddy04
AG
People are freaking out about Peña being an arrogant showboat. Man, watching him all year and in interviews I'd say he's mild mannered confident guy. Do y'all hear people complaining about that? Maybe I'm being too sensitive since he's an Astro. Love the way he plays.
Bag
AG
agdaddy04 said:

People are freaking out about Peña being an arrogant showboat. Man, watching him all year and in interviews I'd say he's mild mannered confident guy. Do y'all hear people complaining about that? Maybe I'm being too sensitive since he's an Astro. Love the way he plays.
first i have heard this who are these people?
First Page Last Page
Page 2266 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.