***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,312,438 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jr15aggie
AG
Yep, unbelievably tough play with less than a second to react and snag it!

Mancini has a great story and I'm really happy that he got the chance to make a big contribution to what we hope is a soon to be championship... because Lord knows he's probably not getting another DH opportunity!
jkag89
Mancini's play doesn't grab the imagination as much since it quickly happened and done. There wasn't even a throw to worry about. McCormick's play if you're a Philly fan is yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, ***** From the Astros' perspective it is oh ****, oh ***** oh ***** oh ***** Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!
All I do is Nguyen
Mathguy64 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Trash fanbase

We have been assured they are the best fans in the league. I do not understand this.

This is such an L take from this "fan"

I hate everything about Filthydelphia. Eagles fans. Phillies fans. Everything
spadilly
S

For the final time this season….here we are.

It's been a hell of a ride this year. This community is amazing. By far my favorite thread every year, and a daily…no…hourly check in every day. I hope my ridiculous off days posts have brought a smile (and frustration of no game that day) to you. Enjoy this weekend, everyone. This is what it's all about. Level Up.

For The H.
For Justin's wife's horses.
For Dusty.
For Mack.
For the team.
For Julia.
For TK and Blummer.
For you and me.
For glory.
For history.

One last time….on three.

Ready?

One….two…three……

Postseason off days….

AggiEE
Hopefully Yuli can return for G6, if he does - do you give Mancini a second chance at hitting retribution as DH?

I think maybe. That play at 1B gives him the rest of the series at DH, IMHO.....

Maybe it was enough to loosen him up at the plate
Mathguy64
AG
Mancini's play had Schwarber running and carrying his bat down the line and then all of a sudden it was like someone shot him with a .50 cal. He just stopped dead in his tracks.

Winning the WS means you were good and luckier than the other team. We didn't get any breaks in '19 or '21. We did in '17. Last night we got them too.
Farmer1906
AG
It's an off day. Let's talk Mr Jeremy and his long Pena. Would you consider giving him one of those Wander / Fernando / Julio type deals?

Tatis Jr - 340/14 - 24.3 AAV
Rodriguez - 209/12 - 17.4 AAV - heavy incentives
Franco - 182/11 - 16.5 AAV - some incentives

Pena is a little older than these guys so I don't think 12-14 years would make sense, but why not 9 or 10? Currently, he's under team control for 2022-2027, his age 24-29. This deal could keep him here until he's 34. He'd be a Jose Altuve type franchise player.

Right off the bat, his rookie year (regular season) is a step or two below this group. But the flash of excellence in the postseason gives you a reason to consider it because he could become that guy and then some. We're not buying the bottom, but we're buying the beginning of the incline.

Example of the contract I am thinking:
135/9 - 15 AAV - load it up with incentives for games played & firm league-adjusted numbers (not fan stuff gold gloves and All-Star appearances)

What do yall think? You Interested? Not? He'll want more money? Do it if he'll take less?
cone
AG
you can look at the McCormick play and gauge the overall degree of difficulty - it certainly wasn't easy and he went all out for it, great jump, ended up on his back

Mancini's play was pure f'ing instinct to time that hop. And an amazing amount of luck. I still don't know how he came up with it. And that situation with two on and Schwarber who is a stone cold assassin.

hard to believe.
cone
AG

MATH
Red Five
AG
I think I would definitely do that. When you look at those deals, I don't think Tatis is a great contract for the Padres, but Rodriguez and Franco seem pretty team friendly. What did Yordan get, 19 AAV? I think 15-16 for Pena would be good value. Yes it's only one season, but you knew he could flash leather and he ended up being the first ever Rookie SS Gold Glove winner. That's makes a pretty good floor to his value, since you should always have defensive value. Rodriguez had a better offensive year and will deservedly win RoY, but Pena started to pick back up towards the end of the season and then is capping off his year with a truly great post season. Arguably the MVP of the DS, was the MVP of the CS, and is the best offensive player again in the WS.
CFTXAG10
AG
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRxeDCGa/
Jet Black
Mancini is a professional baseball player. I don't think it was luck at all.
McInnis
AG
The thing with Stanek is puzzling. As some of you pointed out, he puts a lot of batters on base, but he's really good at not letting them score. For the top relievers:

Pitcher -WHIP/ERA

Neris - 1.01/ 3.72
Monterro - 1.02/ 2.37
Abreu - 1.18/ 1.94
Stanek - 1.23/ 1.15

If you only look at walks per inning, he has by far the highest ratio.

Neris - 0.26
Monterro - 0.38
Abreu - 0.43
Stankek - 0.57

Last night I got the feeling that the Phillies have seen enough of Monterro. All of their hitters have a few ABs against him by now. Maybe we will be seeing more of Stanek tomorrow?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Great moments in Philly sports fan history

Guy tries to attack the Maple Leafs' Tie Domi in the penalty box and gets his ass kicked.

Eagle fans boo Donovan McNabb at the 1999 NFL draft. Fans wanted Ricky Williams. Instead got stuck with McNabb's terrible 8 playoff trips, 5 NFC East titles, 5 NFC conference title appearances, and trip to the Super Bowl.

Cheering Michael Irvin's career-ending injury

21-year-old Philly fan intentionally throws up on an 11-year-old girl and her dad. Unfortunately, her father was an off-duty police officer.

Flyers fan throw commemorative bracelets meant to be used for a moment of silence for their recently-deceased owner in 2016 onto the ice because they were pissed at the Flyers for playing poorly. Players from both teams and the PA announcer asked them to stop. They did not.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
bearkatag15
AG

Cobos is the *****
bearkatag15
AG

2023 Hunter Brown
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
bearkatag15 said:

2023 Hunter Brown
"Rookie" Gurriel. OK, technically.
CT75
AG
Bag said:

Beat40 said:

kegstand said:

If this team wins it all, that will be a picture in the clubhouse for years to come.
if this picture is in fact legit, you are talking about one of the greatest baseball photos ever taken

Fake...the glove arm never touched the ground and his legs were spread eagle.
I stand corrected...his glove arm did come down first upon further review.
BarnacleBill
AG
It takes a special fan base to boo Santa Claus
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Cobos is the *****
Is it? I always glance over there when I'm heading to a game or something else downtown and wish I had time to check it out, but I'm not in that area much anymore unless I'm on my way somewhere else.
BMX Bandit
bearkatag15 said:

Cobos is the *****

Will Evan Gattis be there?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen
If you want something to help pass the time, here are the highlights form the ALDS and ALCS this year.

I also want all of you to remember one thing tomorrow if we get behind early: This team has proven it can come back from being down (ALDS Games 1 and 2, ALCS Game 4), so there will be no one jumping off ledges tomorrow, or the proverbial "FIRE DUSTY NAO!!11!" comments. We are one game away from a world series. Let's just enjoy the ride people.
BCSGrubber
AG
McInnis said:

The thing with Stanek is puzzling. As some of you pointed out, he puts a lot of batters on base, but he's really good at not letting them score. For the top relievers:

Pitcher -WHIP/ERA

Neris - 1.01/ 3.72
Monterro - 1.02/ 2.37
Abreu - 1.18/ 1.94
Stanek - 1.23/ 1.15

If you only look at walks per inning, he has by far the highest ratio.

Neris - 0.26
Monterro - 0.38
Abreu - 0.43
Stankek - 0.57

Last night I got the feeling that the Phillies have seen enough of Monterro. All of their hitters have a few ABs against him by now. Maybe we will be seeing more of Stanek tomorrow?
One of the radio stations we comparing Montero's usage to that of Will Harris in 2019. Solid all year until they ran out of gas.
Big Al 1992
AG
Legend.

Texaggie7nine

7nine
FrioAg 00
AG
Honest question: is next year still considered Hunter's rookie year?
Texaggie7nine
Big Al 1992 said:

Legend.

Heard the girl say to him "hope you rot in hell with all your money".
7nine
BMX Bandit
Yes
Mathguy64
AG
Mac is one win away from the largest sports bet win in history.

I would be chugging pepto 24-7.
iamtheglove
Farmer1906 said:

It's an off day. Let's talk Mr Jeremy and his long Pena. Would you consider giving him one of those Wander / Fernando / Julio type deals?

Tatis Jr - 340/14 - 24.3 AAV
Rodriguez - 209/12 - 17.4 AAV - heavy incentives
Franco - 182/11 - 16.5 AAV - some incentives

Pena is a little older than these guys so I don't think 12-14 years would make sense, but why not 9 or 10? Currently, he's under team control for 2022-2027, his age 24-29. This deal could keep him here until he's 34. He'd be a Jose Altuve type franchise player.

Right off the bat, his rookie year (regular season) is a step or two below this group. But the flash of excellence in the postseason gives you a reason to consider it because he could become that guy and then some. We're not buying the bottom, but we're buying the beginning of the incline.

Example of the contract I am thinking:
135/9 - 15 AAV - load it up with incentives for games played & firm league-adjusted numbers (not fan stuff gold gloves and All-Star appearances)

What do yall think? You Interested? Not? He'll want more money? Do it if he'll take less?

Interesting question. Right after Click signed Yordan for 6 years I posted that Framber and Tucker should be next. But now I think you have to add Peña and Javier to the list. So much team controlled talent. Would be great to lock up all 5 but not sure that level of commitment would ever happen
Post removed:
by user
Mathguy64
AG
Bregxit said:

Mathguy64 said:

Mac is one win away from the largest sports bet win in history.

I would be chugging pepto 24-7.

He wins either way. It's a hedge.

I'll wager he's got more on the line than his hedge.
First Page Last Page
Page 2265 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.