***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,312,638 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like rubbing their faces in it but if I never hear "bring Sally up, Bring Sally down" ever again it will be a good day.
Cromagnum
AG
Jose Alturkey
redline248
AG
that's awesome...great job!
BCSGrubber
AG
I agree on all your points, and he wants to chase the records

I am happy he is having fun allowing himself to be one of the boys for the first time in a long time

Ag_07
AG
And people wanna talk about the Yordan trade being so lopsided but what about the 2018 trade to get Pressly from MIN?

That may be just a lopsided and just as big. I can't even tell you who we gave up.

I remember everyone on here thinking 'Who the F is this guy and why do we want him?'.

Yeah...
tjack16
AG
Had to pick up a copy of the Chronicle today! What a cover
Deluxe
AG
A few game 5 thoughts:

1. What a win. Wow. Crazy how tense close game 5s can be when the series is 2-2.

2. Phillies had alot of little things go their way to steal one at MMP in g1. We balanced that out last night. The series "should be" 3-2 right now and it is. We've won two games convincingly, they've won one game convincingly, and we've split the nailbiters.

3. We saw some baseball chess at the highest level last night. Sounds like JV was aligned with Texags in his use of the fastball last night, but Schwarber knew it too on the second pitch of the game. Back to the strategic drawing board after one batter. So much props to JV for battling. That leadoff HR had to be a huge "not this again" gut punch.

4. I heard JV talk before the game about how pitching with so much rest in between starts doesn't necessarily make it difficult to identify adjustments, but it does make them difficult to implement because he's not in the same rhythm. Maybe there's some excuses built in there but I buy it (to a large extent anyway). His curve/slider looked much better last night. MLB really needs to do something about playoff schedule next year. It sucks.

5. GD I'm so happy for Mancini. Given his performance at the plate this postseason, he's gotta feel horrible. You can tell how hard he's trying (which is maybe part of the problem). But baseball has a way of calling your number when you least expect it. If he boots that Schwarber hot shot, he's potentially the Astros's Bill Buckner. Instead, he earned his stripes. Hopefully it's a nice confidence boost because we might need him the rest of the series.

6. Same with Chas, to a lesser extent. I'm sure he wanted to make an impact on the games in his hometown. Up until 1 out in the 9th, he hadn't done much. But wow, what a play.

7. Dusty hasn't been at his best in the World Series so far, but credit to him for his staff management last night. Things went mostly according to plan until it was clear that Montero was having control issues. Going to Pressly early to make sure we got through the 8th was the right call.

8. I liked that we pitched around Schwarber and Harper in a few key spots last night. Make the other guys beat you. Framber might just attack them on Saturday and not give two effs tho.

9. Yordan... lay off the high heat my friend! I'll take the L on my take that he looked like he was close.

10. Pena's leaping catch on Castallanos shouldn't be overlooked either. That play basically saved a run. What a superstar he's becoming.
All I do is Nguyen
The narrative, it appears, is going ot be the constant reminders of losing to the Nats in 2019. It is all I ma hearing about this morning across all major sports news outlets.
Deluxe
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

The narrative, it appears, is going ot be the constant reminders of losing to the Nats in 2019. It is all I ma hearing about this morning across all major sports news outlets.

This season has been about shutting down those kind of narratives. That's the last one on the list to shut down.
Farmer1906
AG
Pena is rocking a 1.005 OPS in the postseason. That's 57 PA. Not a huge sample, but not tiny either. I doubt there is a 12-game stretch in the regular season of him playing at this high of a level. Absolutely no one had that on their bingo card.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Deluxe said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

This season has been about shutting down those kind of narratives. That's the last one on the list to shut down.

Phillies don't have Strasburg and Scherzer in the chamber.
Deluxe
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Deluxe said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Yep, that helps. Although I do expect Wheeler to pitch better on Saturday night than he did in g2.

I've also heard some reports (via Carrabis/Braden) that Wheeler isn't 100% right now. Maybe we can jump on him again.
Silian Rail
I love elimination games in a world series, all the stops come out. Starters come in to pitch to 3 batters, hot relievers throw 60 pitches; the rules go out the window.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

And people wanna talk about the Yordan trade being so lopsided but what about the 2018 trade to get Pressly from MIN?

That may be just a lopsided and just as big. I can't even tell you who we gave up.

I remember everyone on here thinking 'Who the F is this guy and why do we want him?'.

Yeah...
The Yordan trade still by a longshot, but Pressly is that dude.

Over his last 23 IP in the postseason (since '20 CS) he has a 0.39 ERA, 31 K, .150 BA, .452 OPS.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

Deluxe said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Yep, that helps. Although I do expect Wheeler to pitch better on Saturday night than he did in g2.

I've also heard some reports (via Carrabis/Braden) that Wheeler isn't 100% right now. Maybe we can jump on him again.
Probably, but I still think he's damaged goods right now. The arm is tired. The velo is down. He's not as sharp. We could jump on him again.
Buck Compton
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Deluxe said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Exactly. Now game 6 is all about adjustments. What adjustments do they make vs. Framber and what does Wheeler change up against our lineup? Then which team recognizes those changes and makes the right in game adjustments?

Framber owned them in game 2. They didn't even really threaten until the third time through the order. We jumped on Wheeler.
Gordo14
I think Stanek should take Montero's place in a game 6 situation.
OnlyForNow
AG
You mean Green Sally up....
tremble
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

Deluxe said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Probably, but I still think he's damaged goods right now. The arm is tired. The velo is down. He's not as sharp. We could jump on him again.

Yep, if the call is Framber vs Wheeler it's a no-brainer.

I'm hoping Framber goes 7 and we bury the Phillies behind Abreu and Pressly.
BayAg_14
I want no part of a game 7. Hit Wheeler early and let Framber do his thing. Let's win this thing tomorrow!
The Porkchop Express
AG
As a member of the Angels the last 1-1/2 years and now the Phillies, Brandon Marsh has a record of 13-28 in games against the Astros.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

That's a guaranteed national contest winner for the photog and the page designer. Great headline combined with the photo.
The Porkchop Express
AG
PhatMack19 said:

My kid decided to tell me at 9pm last night that he had to color a turkey and write a story about it for school today. I sent him to bed and woke him up at 6am to do it. This is the best we could do in an hour before school with a hangover.. Mr Turkey Altuve!

Play by play announcer says the the Turkey is the face of Thanksgiving, for better or for worse.
iamtheglove
The Porkchop Express said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

I slept maybe an hour last night… rewatched the Chaz catch literally over 100 times. ****ing amazing.
Somehow the play by play guy managed to downplay the best catch of the last ten years of the World Series. I've tried to be really arbitrary with the guy even though I know he works for the Dodgers all year, but last night his true colors were really out - called Atluve "the face of this franchise for better or worse", and talked how close Realmuto came to tying the game over and over.

When the kid who grew up 35 miles from Philadelphia and worshipped that team growing up makes the best play of the series to save a run in Game 5 of the World Series, I just don't get how you're so morose about it.
I try not to get worked up about this stuff because it happens a lot, especially when we play east or west coast teams. But it is really annoying. The "tell" for me which also gets under my skin is how many times they call the opposing team by their first name ("Bryce", "JT", etc.) but never manage to do so for us. That's when you know there is a real subconscious bias.
texasaggie2015
AG
I usually avoid this thread during the games (just way too stressed and distracted and drunk) but man... what a game that was. Now let's finish them.
f1ghtintexasaggie
I'm not sure this was done on purpose or even if Dusty will take advantage of it these next 2 games, but they have not seen Stanek much at all. They've seen every other relief arm (excepting Smith) multiple times now, right?
McInnis
AG
W said:

and digging deeper...

Babe Ruth was thrown out trying to steal second for the last out of the game.

so Mr. Alexander did not have to retire the final batter
And Alexander had pitched a complete game eight hitter the day before. The story is that he was sleeping off a hangover in the bullpen when his old friend Cardinals manager Rogers Hornsby called him in to face Tony Lazzeri with the bases loaded. Lazzeri just missed a grand slam on a long foul before Alexander struck him out. And then Ruth ending the game on a caught stealing. Truly one of the all time great WS endings in history.
LB12Diamond
AG
Wabs said:

Front runner for MVP too close to call, but me personally?

Pressly
Pena
Abreu (won't get it but DAMN this guy has been nails)

*If Framber has another shut down game he will be in the mix.

If it goes 7 and Javier gets the start and does the same thing he did last game. My guess is he gets the MVP.

Now I want to wrap it up in game 6 but just throwing out another option.
Aston 91
AG
tjack16 said:

As impressive as that catch was watching it live, it just gets better every time I watch it. The distance he had to cover, the timing of the jump, and the awareness of the fence - all in the most pressure-packed situation imaginable.
texasaggie2015
AG
We've barely used Stanek all postseason. Two reasons for that I'm assuming.

- What we're doing has worked

- He tends to let guys on base. He also tends to get out of those jams, but the postseason is a different animal.
MAROON
AG
I think it's the first point. If Dusty is anything, he's a creature of habit.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
LB12Diamond
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Deluxe said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Exactly

We have the pitching this time!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MAROON said:

I think it's the first point. If Dusty is anything, he's a creature of habit.
The second part is definitely a factor. He had way too many walks, and walks kill in the postseason.
cone
AG
game is over

I'm lying in bed trying to sleep

adrenaline is still way up, heart rate is probably 110 bpm, chest pounding

I didn't do anything at all other than watch

I'd likely piss down my leg if I was where Pressly was
Texaggie7nine
Have a flight tomorrow at 8:40pm.
Have tickets to game 6 and 7.

Obviously I'm going to change my flight, but I REALLY rather fly out Sunday afternoon rather than Monday at 6am. I have to decide before 8 or so tomorrow when to change it to.
I really think Framber is going to close this out.

UGH
7nine
First Page Last Page
Page 2257 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.