MLB 2021 Offseason - CBA

9,913 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by . . .
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
****ing hell
Nitro Power
AG
Good luck recovering from this you pieces of ***** Players and owners alike. With the economy the way it is, and these shenanigans baseball just pulled. Hope it ****s the whole game up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The NFL salary cap in 2022 will be $208 million with a roster that is twice the size. Kind of an amazing comparison relative to the MLB CBT
DannyDuberstein
AG
For pre arb players, everyone getting a 25% salary increase and the top 150 getting a 60% (150 player $30 mill bonus pool) seems like it would be tough to turn down. And on CBT, there's maybe 5 teams that are over or near the current one. With the rest, it doesn't really seem to matter. I don't see the allure of missing April paychecks over this outside of this being some d*** waving contest where you want to feel like u won. The owners aren't going to agree to a bonus pool that is dang near like adding another team's payroll to the league
W
AG
the #1 problem in baseball is the guaranteed contracts to players.

it handicaps all aspects of the game -- the inability to separate from a poorly performing player
BMX Bandit
Quote:

I don't see the allure of missing April paychecks over this outside of this being some d*** waving contest where you want to feel like u won. The owners aren't going to agree to a bonus pool that is dang near like adding another team's payroll to the league

This
Proposition Joe
The owners have all the leverage. They'll happily forgo April and May gate in exchange for not paying player salaries.
CampingAg
AG

Explain to me how they aren't meeting every single day until this is figured out. Manfred needs to be tarred and feathered.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not a fan of Manfred and think the idea of a lockout was terrible as this seems like a completely unnecessary stoppage when they could re-rack 2021, but at this point with the offers on the table from each side, the owners side is the one that seems most reasonable from my outsider layman view
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
The owners should make the players eat their words. Raise the minimum salary to $1MM and make the CBT $180MM. It isn't about the vets, it is about the young guys, right? The players want it both ways. Can't have it.
aggiephoenix02
This sucks!

BOOOO0000oooo!
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
mosdefn14
AG
Saw on twitter both sides agree to:
1) pitch clocks
2) banning the shift
3) bigger bases

I consider myself a baseball guy. Played competitively, umpired competitively also, and I've gotta say I never knew the base size was a problem. How much bigger do they need to be to give the runner a half-step advantage? Another 6-10 inches? Is this essentially saying bases will now be 89 feet or am I missing another grievance?
Ags #1
AG
Are they really talking about banning the shift?
aggiephoenix02
Ags #1 said:

Are they really talking about banning the shift?
Right!?! The shift has been used forever. It just goes in and out of style. It's in style right now is all…
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
aggiephoenix02
And bigger bases? Wtf?!?! That's just dumb…
CampingAg
AG
I used to be against banning the shift, but actually wouldn't mind it now. The advent of technology/high speed cameras have benefitted pitching much more than hitting.

Dumb people will say gO tHe OtHeR wAy. Okay, that was fine when the average fastball was 92mph. Now you have sliders coming in at 98.
Aggies2009
AG
CampingAg said:

I used to be against banning the shift, but actually wouldn't mind it now. The advent of technology/high speed cameras have benefitted pitching much more than hitting.

Dumb people will say gO tHe OtHeR wAy. Okay, that was fine when the average fastball was 92mph. Now you have sliders coming in at 98.
So lay down a bunt.... Guys have bunted doubles because half the field was unoccupied....
DannyDuberstein
AG
Historically I would have been against it. But the game is becoming a boring train wreck.
Nitro Power
AG
Robot umpires and pitch clocks aren't the answer either.

Analytics is what has made baseball boring and slow.

Funny how the game was just fine for the last 120 years, but when Manturd steps in, it becomes boring and in need of change.
Proposition Joe
I'd assume the larger bases are due to replay making "staying safe on the bag" after a slide significantly harder than it used to be.
Quad Dog
AG
Nitro Power said:

Funny how the game was just fine for the last 120 years, but when Manturd steps in, it becomes boring and in need of change.
How has analytics made it slower? Watch any older game from the 70s or 80s. The pitchers get the ball and throw it right back and batters stay in the box. That speeds up the game. Pitch clock helps that.

Robo umps would eliminate arguing balls and strikes and speed up the game.

So would giving the pitcher and catcher a headset to communicate. No more switching up signs and causing delays and confusion.
Farmer1906
AG
Nitro Power said:

That is a screaming hot take.

Nitro Power
AG
Quad Dog said:

Nitro Power said:

How has analytics made it slower? Watch any older game from the 70s or 80s. The pitchers get the ball and throw it right back and batters stay in the box. That speeds up the game. Pitch clock helps that.

So would giving the pitcher and catcher a headset to communicate. No more switching up signs and causing delays and confusion.
I have watched games where they change the shift in the middle of an at bat. It could be player placement, or it could be completely having players change position. Do you think this is based on a "feel for the game"? No, it is based on percentages of balls put in play. How does this not have an impact? Further, the lefty, righty nonsense was based on analytics. Now, in fairness, they have rectified that to an extent, but it changes the overall strategy of the game.

You refer to pitchers and catchers communication. Again, was not a problem from the past 120 years.

The fact of the matter is, pitch clocks, banning the shift, robot umpires et al, are only going to make incremental changes. Like 5-10 minute / game max.

If you want to make a significant impact, limit advertising and get rid of replay except in the case of fair foul or homeruns.

ETA: Analytics like WAR. is the kind of nonsense that leads people like Jason Heyward getting $184M contracts. Does anyone really believe he justified 25% of that contract based on just his defense?
PhatMack19
AG
Quad Dog
AG
Nitro Power said:

Quad Dog said:

Nitro Power said:

I have watched games where they change the shift in the middle of an at bat. It could be player placement, or it could be completely having players change position. Do you think this is based on a "feel for the game"? No, it is based on percentages of balls put in play. How does this not have an impact? Further, the lefty, righty nonsense was based on analytics. Now, in fairness, they have rectified that to an extent, but it changes the overall strategy of the game.

You refer to pitchers and catchers communication. Again, was not a problem from the past 120 years.

The fact of the matter is, pitch clocks, banning the shift, robot umpires et al, are only going to make incremental changes. Like 5-10 minute / game max.

If you want to make a significant impact, limit advertising and get rid of replay except in the case of fair foul or homeruns.

ETA: Analytics like WAR. is the kind of nonsense that leads people like Jason Heyward getting $184M contracts. Does anyone really believe he justified 25% of that contract based on just his defense?
Players have always changed positions during at bats, but it is more extreme now more than ever. I don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest limiting shifts to help pace of play. The arguments for banning shifts is always about improving offense. I don't think shifts are huge deal for pace of play.

It seems like sign stealing has become a much bigger deal the last few years than ever before, so pitchers and catchers have adjusted by changing and complicating signs. I feel like whenever a runner reaches second the pace of play grinds to a halt as pitchers and catchers change up signs, refer to cheat seats, and have to visit the mound to clarify.

Advertising isn't going anywhere. Would you trade uniform ads for less commercial breaks?

I agree, no replay. Or at least take out manager challenges. Every questionable play we have to wait for the manager holding up play while his review teams looks at the play, then he walks over to the ump to challenge, who then walks over to the headset. That headset review takes forever. Then they announce the decision and the losing manager walks over to the ump for an explanation and possibly an argument. There should just be an extra ump in a review booth who has the ability to buzz the ump and a then a short amount of time to correct obvious plays.
Quad Dog
AG
You could make the bases rectangles instead of squares. They could still be the same distance apart, but have more space into foul territory or the outfield. This would make things safer for shortstops and second basemen turning two.
aggiephoenix02
Good idea…
Mr Gigem
AG

DannyDuberstein
AG
The players would be idiots to give up paychecks fighting that offer
safety guy
AG
So are we going to have 7 circles on the field where each player has to be positioned when a pitch is thrown.
Mr Gigem
AG
Mr Gigem
AG
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quad Dog said:

Nitro Power said:

It would just transfer it to conspiracy theories about MLB favoring the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, or whatever other favored team out there is.

I don't know why people can't see this. There is NO WAY you're going to eliminate arguments about calls. If the call goes against a team, they aren't going to like it. It doesn't matter if it comes from a computer or not. We already have unbiased sources out there, and people claim they are incompetent. Put competent sources out there and people will say they're biased.
Mr Gigem
AG
aggiephoenix02

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.