MLB 2021 Offseason - CBA

9,886 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by . . .
coastalAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the players will blink at some point. Its easy for someone on a massive deal to take a principled stance and give up a year's salary, but there are a lot more guys who will start to have unpaid bills and need the paycheck.
45-70Ag
AG
Just about zero chance the season starts on time now.

J.P. 03
AG
I'm starting to think that if you had given me a million dollars 10 years ago and said "go ruin baseball," I couldn't have done a better job than these idiots who are tying to "save" it.
Mr Gigem
AG

My guess would be a delay to spring training
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
07ag
AG
https://defector.com/mlb-owners-have-forgotten-that-they-always-lose-lockouts/

article from 2 months ago with accurate prediction "The owners believed, out of spite or out of principle or just for whatever reasons owners believe things, that wasting months that could have been used to bargain over the MLBPA's reasonable demands was the most effective way to… well, avoid having to close any of the loopholes that owners have exploited in pursuit of their obsession with inexpensive talent and dodge the difficult and necessary conversations about how the minimum salary and arbitration systems are both in dire need of less exploitative upgrades, for starters. Thanks to the lockout, the clock is now ticking in a way that it previously was not, and the league will now learn if the union is capable of standing up to the pressures of this moment. The owners' hope, which is not quite a plan, is that a long winter of inactivity might make enough players so nervous about their short- and long-term futures that they will agree to a league-friendly deal"
https://ts.la/eric59704
Aggies2009
AG
Said it before in another thread and will repeat it here- the owners liked 2020's pro-rated salaries and are tryin to get to that here. The April/May games aren't well-attended anyway.

It makes sense that one of their first declarations was "We're cancelling games and won't pay you for them!"
Nitro Power
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Said it before in another thread and will repeat it here- the owners liked 2020's pro-rated salaries and are tryin to get to that here. The April/May games aren't well-attended anyway.

It makes sense that one of their first declarations was "We're cancelling games and won't pay you for them!"
If games actually start getting missed, games June - October won't be well attended either. It seem they have forgotten what happened after 94. What is going to be used to pick them up this time? You have a great number of old schoolers such as myself that loved baseball just the way it was. I could go on about why today's product is inferior in every way, except video coverage, as compared to even 10 years ago. Tony Clark and Rob Manfred are both absolute garbage and completely destructive to the game.
. . .
Nitro Power
AG
I mean I get the tanking thing. I don't like it either. However not all teams are created equally. I thought Tampa was "tanking" this year because of some of the moves they made. They went on to win 100 games.
. . .

. . .
Aggies2009
AG
Nitro Power said:

Aggies2009 said:

If games actually start getting missed, games June - October won't be well attended either. It seem they have forgotten what happened after 94. What is going to be used to pick them up this time? You have a great number of old schoolers such as myself that loved baseball just the way it was. I could go on about why today's product is inferior in every way, except video coverage, as compared to even 10 years ago. Tony Clark and Rob Manfred are both absolute garbage and completely destructive to the game.
Yep. It took Interleague Play and the Home Run chase of 98 to start getting fans interested again. It was a long time before fans came back.

W
AG
and the players don't mind missing the cold weather games in April
Mr Gigem
AG

Interesting take. Seems like he's implying the owners know how many games it takes to turn a profit, assuming it is less than 162, and they are okay playing less games and making less profit. Nobody in the history of ever has said "yeah, okay, we would like to make less money than we did last year."
Panama Red
AG
W said:

When they don't get that paycheck they are expecting they will mind.
W
AG
the rookies and the 2nd and 3rd year players...yes.

the high-priced vets --- who are the only ones the players union cares about --- no
AustinCountyAg
W said:

terrible take. The players mind. a lot
BCSWguru
They played a 60 game season with no fans and seemed to turn out OK. Greed will win out on both sides and fans will start finding other things to do.
WoMD
LSCSN said:

They played a 60 game season with no fans and seemed to turn out OK. Greed will win out on both sides and fans will start finding other things to do.

Exactly. And during that stretch they went all in on the political bull as well. It's like they actively want to sabotage themselves. Or just seeing how far they can push fans until we've had enough of these games. Greed may win, but fans lose. And when fans lose enough, greed ends up with everyone having nothing. We're all losers together...
Nitro Power
AG
It seems like they are going to get something done today. I have read something about a 16 he marathon yesterday to meet the self imposed deadline. Forgive me, but I have zero sympathy for either side. Perhaps if they would have spent the months of December and January negotiating instead of posturing, we would already be playing games. I can only hope when this rolls around again we have different leadership on both sides.
BCSWguru
yep, Manfred/Clark are terribad.
Aggies2009
AG
W said:

Do you think they mind missing out on the pay that comes with those games?
Mr Gigem
AG

Lol they aren't even close. No deal will be made today
Proposition Joe
I feel like the Rangers have been absolutely cursed with this ballpark opening.

Shortened no-fan season... Mask opening day... and now you get Yankees on a long weekend to open the year and that's going bye-bye.
Mr Gigem
AG
Having Yankees on opening weekend sucks anyway. They are always our largest draw, don't necessarily need them on OD. But yes, likely losing OD and then some will be a big blow
Mr Gigem
AG
TexAg1822
AG
Damn, no way in hell they agree to CBT thresholds or pre-arb pool. More delay.
Mr Gigem
AG
Well fook

TXAggie4Christ
AG
Fantasy baseball is one of my enjoyable distractions……don't these real players realize the impact on us make believers?

And jobs lost in spring training cities and mlb cities.
At least they are closer to a deal.
Romans 10:13
Proposition Joe
First two series of the season officially canned.
Mr Gigem
AG
Well, time for me to start looking for a part time job

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.