***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,836,235 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

He's on pace for 81 bombs. I wouldn't read too much into just the first games.

He got acclimated to the bigs and went off. He continued in the playoffs even if he wasn't the team MVP.

Saying he "went off" is ridiculous. He hit .268 and is hitting .240 thus far in the bigs. He's got a ways to go to get to "went off" territory. At this point he's relatively comparable to Josh Reddick in his prime- a legit MLB player but not an all star.
Pahdz
I know I know we've moved on from sports movies but how'd y'all forget The Program?!
MaxPower
Agreed. He had a hot August last year. Before and after (including playoffs) was ok but not star level. Still too early to know what he really is.
The Sun
Pahdz said:

I know I know we've moved on from sports movies but how'd y'all forget The Program?!

The football forum is that way. >
Prosperdick
AG
bigjag19 said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

McInnis said:

Quote:

a shortstop in Dickie Thon still trying to slowly come back from his horrific injury at the start of the 1984 season
Oh man, just how great could he have been? He went on to have a really good career, but he hit 20 homers early in his career when shortstops just didn't do that. He was just coming into his prime when that happened.
It's the worst and probably most underrated "what could have been" story in Astros history.

'82 season he hits .276, steals 37 bases, leads the league in triples (10)
'83 season he hits .286, 28 2B, 9 3B, 20 HR, 79 RBi, 34 SB, All-Star team, Silver Slugger, 7th in the MVP race, and he's 25 years old.
'84 season he's hitting .353. through 5 games when Torrez hits him in the face. Misses the rest of the season.
'85 comes back and hits .251, '86 .248, '87 the Astros decide to move him and bring in Rafael Ramirez.

He had a good year with the Phillies in 1991 - 15 HR 60 RBI .271 average, but was never close to what he had been.

On a side note, my first job out of A&M was in the Rice University Sports Information office in 1996-1997. Dickie Thon's daughter was on the Rice volleyball team and was a 100% smoke show. I was the SID for volleyball (a huge honor lol) and he came to lots of matches and was a cool guy to talk to.

Clearly time to rank the what could have beens

1. JR Hard to fathom anything topping this one.
2. Dickie
3. Correa doesn't overthrow against KC
4. Anything from 2019 WS
5. Brocklander calls Reynolds safe in '86 on the double play that cost us the potential winning run late in the game. Oh and Reynolds was safe by a mile, one of the worst calls I've ever seen, Angel would have been proud,
CFTXAG10
AG
bigjag19 said:

Clearly time to rank the what could have beens
1. JR Hard to fathom anything topping this one.
2. Dickie
3. Correa doesn't overthrow against KC
4. Anything from 2019 WS
If that Howie Kendrick homer just somehow managed to fade a little further to the right. I was in the club level along the right field line and I can still here the bang off the foul pole
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

He's on pace for 81 bombs. I wouldn't read too much into just the first games.

He got acclimated to the bigs and went off. He continued in the playoffs even if he wasn't the team MVP.

Saying he "went off" is ridiculous. He hit .268 and is hitting .240 thus far in the bigs. He's got a ways to go to get to "went off" territory. At this point he's relatively comparable to Josh Reddick in his prime- a legit MLB player but not an all star.
He did. He got acclimated with everyday playing. Made adjustments and went off.

From game 23 on last year his line was:
172 wRC+. That 1000% going off.

Postseason:
More of a singles hitter duing this stretch.

This season:
All power right now. He'll find his level. xBA .279, xSLG .709

He's nothing like Reddick. Reddick was a fine hitter who sprayed it around, but never hit it with power. Tucker is a slugger. When his bat finds the ball, it goes hard.

I figured after last year you would have learned your lesson.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TarponChaser said:

Contrary to what @Fat Bib Fortuna claimed last year, Tucker was not the offensive MVP for the club in the regular season last year. That was Springer, hands down.

That is some decidedly odd 6-month-old smack talk.
shano0603
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Pardon my ignorance, this is only my 3rd year finding this thread... but why do you guys refer to Tucker as TED?

Alright. Y'all gotta tweet this at Blum and get it on the broadcast.
TarponChaser
Getting hot for the equivalent of 1/4th of a season doesn't move the needle. He's got potential that's all it is right now.

During Reddick's time in Oakland he was about a .260 hitter and 22-23 HR on average. Highest HR total was 29, lowest was 17. Tucker hasn't shown he can even do that at the big league level.

And I will admit the comparisons of Tucker to Ted Williams annoy me. Tucker isn't close to being the best hitter on this team and Williams is arguably the greatest hitter of all time.
shano0603
AG
TarponChaser said:

Getting hot for the equivalent of 1/4th of a season doesn't move the needle. He's got potential that's all it is right now.

During Reddick's time in Oakland he was about a .260 hitter and 22-23 HR on average. Highest HR total was 29, lowest was 17. Tucker hasn't shown he can even do that at the big league level.

And I will admit the comparisons of Tucker to Ted Williams annoy me. Tucker isn't close to being the best hitter on this team and Williams is arguably the greatest hitter of all time.
I'm fine with having Yordan and TED with their potential.
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

damn a lot has changed since October 2019

I was at game 7. You could see a couple of pieces of gold confetti that would fall from the rafters every few innings. In the 7th inning when it was 2-0 it was hard to not look up there and imagine soon that gold confetti would be falling all over the field
JJxvi
AG
You imagined that!?? OMG its your fault!
Buck Compton
AG
JJxvi said:

You imagined that!?? OMG its your fault!
Probably wasn't wearing his ragged ass skinny jeans either!
bearkatag15
AG

Brantley is officially back
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkat beat me to it
TarponChaser
shano0603 said:

TarponChaser said:

I'm fine with having Yordan and TED with their potential.
I'd argue it's not just potential with Yordan. Yes, he needs to stay healthy and keep doing what he's been doing but he's looking every bit like a guy who's going to hit .300 and smash 40 HRs every season.
astros4545
AG
I thought this year we would focus our hate on Myles Straw offensive prowess

But looks like not everyone has gotten the Tucker hate out of their system
Farmer1906
AG
We might score 20 tonight. That's one sexy lineup.
redline248
AG
astros4545 said:

I thought this year we would focus our hate on Myles Straw offensive prowess

But looks like not everyone has gotten the Tucker hate out of their system
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Michael Knowles just had a great segment on baseball and what the game is supposed to be and how wokeism is ruining it
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Michael Knowles just had a great segment on baseball and what the game is supposed to be and how wokeism is ruining it
I like Michael Knowles and I probably agree with a lot of what he said, but let's try to keep that off here and just enjoy our team even though MLB brings politics into the conversation.
bearkatag15
AG

Let's go! Get him back in a month or so and let's roll
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
bearkatag15 said:

AggiEE
bearkatag15 said:

Brantley is officially back

Brant-Ley's-Back, Alright!!!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

The rat shirt is glorious
Ag_07
AG
It'd be way cooler if it was someone other than Clanton wearing it.
MaxPower
bearkatag15 said:

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

It'd be way cooler if it was someone other than Clanton wearing it.

Apparently this is where you can buy one if you want
bearkatag15
AG
Lol Conforto for the Mets just stuck his elbow out to take a pitch in the arm with bases loaded to force the run in to win the game.

Umps discussed it and couldn't review it

Farmer1906
AG
That is some bull****
Charlie Conway
These sports rules are so ****ing stupid, why the **** can't you review it!? Why make a rule that you can't ****ing review something? Go watch the video and be like "yeah we were wrong, we need to correct ourselves. But they're too Gotdamn ****ing stupid to do that.
Ag_07
AG
Haha! Umpire rung him up first
bearkatag15
AG
That's the Mets broadcast too and they were upset at the call. Thats when you know its bad.
First Page Last Page
Page 89 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.