***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,833,637 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
The Sun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Entertainment board is that way >
Buck Compton
AG
For football you guys are missing several that should be up for consideration, including Remember the Titans, Blind Side, We are Marshall, Longest Yard, Little Giants, and Rudy. That's just off the top of my head. Not saying these are all-timers, but it's like you intentionally excluded them from consideration.
spadilly
S
TarponChaser said:

Soccer- "Victory" and chick-flick, "Bend It Like Beckham" after that, what?

We just watched this one with the kids and they absolutely loved it. I hadn't seen it in probably twenty years so it was fun watching it with them.

Ag_07
AG
Off day is over fellas...It's home opener day!!!!
TarponChaser
Buck Compton said:

For football you guys are missing several that should be up for consideration, including Remember the Titans, Blind Side, We are Marshall, Longest Yard, Little Giants, and Rudy. That's just off the top of my head. Not saying these are all-timers, but it's like you intentionally excluded them from consideration.

You're right, I did forget those.

Remember the Titans - awesome movie
Blind Side - other than Sandra Bullock, meh.
We are Marshall - actually never seen it
Longest Yard - doesn't really hold up for me, either version
Little Giants - also meh
Rudy - should be up there but knowing what an a-hole Rudy is in real life kills it for me. Plus, Rudy was offsides.

Might as well add North Dallas 40- other than the scene were the dude is on the bench press machine with the topless chick standing on the bar it was pretty meh as well.
bearkatag15
AG

This seems good
The Beef01
AG
Buck Compton said:

Between you and Tarpon, I'm having the realization that I just have a blind spot for the football genre...I do love The Replacements and you named several solid movies here; including Rudy...I guess maybe the issue is that many baseball movies seem to be about baseball and the things going on around it are just filling-in the baseball-centric storyline.

Football movies, it's more about the story/individual and football is just the backdrop...it's a much more complex game, so I'm kinda realizing that Any Given Sunday was the closest they've come to a pure football movie and it was such a trainwreck b/c it's really hard to do that.

Damn....you guys have me thinking entirely too hard on a Thursday and trying to upheave everything I've previously believed.
RO519
AG
Ag_07 said:

But really guys. Time to talk baseball, not movie.

LFG!!! Home opener!
TarponChaser
RO519 said:

Ag_07 said:

But really guys. Time to talk baseball, not movie.

LFG!!! Home opener!

See that's the beautiful thing about baseball though- you have time to discuss all sorts of random BS in the stands and even in the dugout or on the field.
Big Al 1992
AG
First Minute Maid Dinger - might look something like this
Alvarez +150
Altuve +200
TED +200
Correa +300
Yuli +400
Field +500
Opponent +500

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pardon my ignorance, this is only my 3rd year finding this thread... but why do you guys refer to Tucker as TED?
bearkatag15
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Alvarez +150
Altuve +200
TED +200
Correa +300
Yuli +400
Field +500
Opponent +500

I think it'll be Bregman
bearkatag15
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Pardon my ignorance, this is only my 3rd year finding this thread... but why do you guys refer to Tucker as TED?
?itemid=18279268

His swing looks very similar to Ted Williams' swing.
redline248
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

because he's the best pure hitter in baseball
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Makes sense now! I kept trying to figure out as if it were an acronym and nothing made sense.
Deluxe
AG
It's been a running topic on this thread for a while now. TarponChaser was all in on Tucker's greatness from the start and insisted that we refer to him as TED. Farmer1906 had none of it and even started a separate thread calling Tucker a bust.
TarponChaser
redline248 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

because he's the best pure hitter in baseball

Tucker has improved a lot but you're confusing him with another lefty bat in the Astros lineup on that score.
TarponChaser
Deluxe said:

It's been a running topic on this thread for a while now. TarponChaser was all in on Tucker's greatness from the start and insisted that we refer to him as TED. Farmer1906 had none of it and even started a separate thread calling Tucker a bust.

Big Al 1992
AG
Roof open today. As it should be.
Farmer1906
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

He's basically Ted Williams reincarnated. How do you not see it?!

But seriously.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-outfielder-prospect-Kyle-Tucker-nickname-12713127.php
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Alvarez +150
Altuve +200
TED +200
Correa +300
Yuli +400
Field +500
Opponent +500

Tuve

First AB

Crawford Box Shot

The Juice box goes crazy
redline248
AG
I was going to post about a leadoff Tuve blast, but recent discussion had me sidetracked reading an old thread about why Tucker sucks
YNWA_AG
AG
bearkatag15
AG

damn a lot has changed since October 2019
DVC2010
AG
bearkatag15 said:

A couple of those still hurt.
redline248
AG
That last line stings
agdaddy04
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/sports/sporting-scene/in-search-of-a-swing-like-ted-williams/amp
bluefire579
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Damn, reading fail, ignore my previous statement. This is just a sad tweet
agdaddy04
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

He was his "stand-in" during the PBS documentary.
TarponChaser
redline248 said:

I was going to post about a leadoff Tuve blast, but recent discussion had me sidetracked reading an old thread about why Tucker sucks

Contrary to what @Fat Bib Fortuna claimed last year, Tucker was not the offensive MVP for the club in the regular season last year. That was Springer, hands down.

Then in the postseason Correa was the offensive MVP hitting .362 with 6 HR, 17 RBI, and a 1.221 OPS. Altuve, Springer, Brantley, and Diaz were all substantially better in OPS than Tucker in the postseason. Tucker hit .306 with 1 HR, 6 RBIs, and a .694 OPS.

Tucker may have 3 bombs and 9 RBIs right now but he's still hitting below .200 and second only to Maldonado in strike outs. Even with his much maligned start Correa is hitting .280 with right now. If Tucker is going to be the regular 4-hole hitter he needs to hit at least .250 with 35 bombs this year.

Him being in the starting lineup doesn't piss me off like it did last year but let's not act like he's setting the world on fire. In 114 career games he's hitting .240 with 16 HR and 66 RBIs, while the best pure hitter in baseball is also in this lineup, Yordan Alvarez, in 95 career games is hitting .311 with 29 bombs, and 89 RBIs.
Farmer1906
AG
He's on pace for 81 bombs. I wouldn't read too much into just the first games.

He got acclimated to the bigs and went off. He continued in the playoffs even if he wasn't the team MVP.
Ag_07
AG
Tuck has come a long way in a short amount of time.

I was starting to have my doubts but he really came on last season. I forget where they were playing but he had a couple really nice opposite field hits and that's when it clicked for him. He hasn't looked back.
Teddy Perkins
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Ag_07
AG
That's great
First Page Last Page
Page 88 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.