***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,832,655 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Charlie Conway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also, **** Ron Kulpa, gotta be the dumbest mother****er alive
WES2006AG
AG
Clearly a strike, should have moved to top of 10th...They blew it.
JJxvi
AG
W.T.F.
Deluxe
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

We're going to have an interesting pitching roster dilemma (good dilemma) when those 3 plus Odo get back. Bielak/Garcia are the obvious ones to demote first and keep them pitching regularly until their turn comes later this year. From there it's kinda hard to figure out which other two get bounced from the active roster.

Abreu's bridge ability has been valuable so far. If he keeps it up, it would be tough to demote him.

I guess it's also possible we just rotate some pitchers through the IL all year to keep them rested and the numbers problem never actually becomes an issue.
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

The rat shirt is glorious

What does the 2020 banner say?
Ag_07
AG
Fingernail discomfort
redline248
AG
On that hbp... Did it even hit him? Lol

I definitely agree that the arbitrary picking and choosing of what can be reviewed is so dumb. Either use replay or don't use it, not sort of use it sometimes when you think you might want to.
JJxvi
AG
redline248 said:

On that hbp... Did it even hit him? Lol

I definitely agree that the arbitrary picking and choosing of what can be reviewed is so dumb. Either use replay or don't use it, not sort of use it sometimes when you think you might want to.
Bull***** Forcing the umpire to reflect and make the correct call destroys the integrity of the game! The game is better when its a snap decision with no backsies! Bad calls are charming!
bearkatag15
AG
it grazed his elbow pad. In another video I've see you can see it when zooming in.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I zoomed way in, think it's "division series champs"
AgDoc03
AG
Someone get Charlie a Snickers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I zoomed way in, think it's "division series champs"

I saw division but knew it couldn't be division champions. Was worried it said "division runner up" or something

Was also curious if they would just put AL Wild Card on the banner. I like Division series better
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I think they put up a banner for whatever the last series win was for that season.
bearkatag15
AG

cool clip of Stanek talking about watching Greinke growing up.
JJxvi
AG
I honestly think the Marlins might have grounds to lodge a protest with MLB and maybe have a slim chance of having it stand up.

Kulpa was calling that pitch a strike. If its a strike it actually doesnt matter whether it hits the batter, or whether the batter tried to get out of the way or anything. A strike is a strike. Kulpa has to actually change his mind and call it a ball for that to be a HBP. If they can convince somebody that Kulpa thought it was a strikeand ruled HBP anyway, then the rules were incorrectly applied by the umpiring crew.
Mathguy64
AG
The Marlins can appeal all they want. No way MLB upholds an appeal. Seriously. When is the last time someone appealed and the league said "yeah we goofed let's have a do over." Not just MLB. Any league.

They screwed up and made a material error in the rules. MLB will just come out and say "yeah they goofed and we are sorry but **** happens"
JJxvi
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The Marlins can appeal all they want. No way MLB upholds an appeal. Seriously. When is the last time someone appealed and the league said "yeah we goofed let's have a do over." Not just MLB. Any league.

They screwed up and made a material error in the rules. MLB will just come out and say "yeah they goofed and we are sorry but **** happens"
August 19, 2014
Mathguy64
AG
What was the protest for?
JJxvi
AG
I think the pine tar incident is the last "on-the field call" protest that was held up. 15 games have been resumed from the point of protest.
JJxvi
AG
Mathguy64 said:

What was the protest for?
Calling the game for a rain delay. Basically MLB eventually agreed with the visiting team that the game was called more so by the failure of the home teams grounds crew than the weather. Upheld protests are usually something like that over an actual failure of the umpires to get the rules right.
Mathguy64
AG
Ok. I looked. The last two protests were over the ground crew covering a field for rain and the umpire crew decisions for calling it.

The last real protest was George Brett's pine tar bat call.
JJxvi
AG
Since it was a game ending play, the Marlins have until tomorrow at noon to lodge a formal protest with the league. I dont see why they wouldnt.

So IMO theres a slim chance that MLB agrees that Kulpa was going to call it a strike (and knowing the fact that the entire world knows it was a bull**** call) decides to grant the protest and restart the game with 2 outs and the bases loaded in the 9th based on the misapplication of the following rule...
Quote:

Rule 5.05 b (2):

If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball.
Knowing MLB and sports leagues in general are just baffling with their decisions I think theres a bigger chance that Kulpa just says "oh yeah I called it a ball" and MLB shrugs their shoulders.
bearkatag15
AG

I'm ok with this
bearkatag15
AG

Rosenthal will be back in 1 week confirmed

Also big loss for Seattle

bearkatag15
AG

This may help the Marlins case if they protest
EastCoastAgNc
AG
You could say...he gave a Mea Kulpa
ttha_aggie_09
CoachRTM
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I don't think I've ever seen an umpire speak to a pool reporter. Am I missing something?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CoachRTM said:

bearkatag15 said:

I don't think I've ever seen an umpire speak to a pool reporter. Am I missing something?
Usually they do, you just don't see any quotes because there's usually nothing to talk about.
spadilly
S
To all of y'all going to the game tonight, yell loud and drink one for me.

Last time I was there was game 7 of the WS. Still stings and frustrates me.
CoachRTM
AG
Charlie Conway said:

These sports rules are so ****ing stupid, why the **** can't you review it!? Why make a rule that you can't ****ing review something? Go watch the video and be like "yeah we were wrong, we need to correct ourselves. But they're too Gotdamn ****ing stupid to do that.

So I will say this first - I don't know baseball rule, I only officiate football. I assume the way they apply instant replay is similar.

In football -
- There isn't really anything saying what you CANT review, there are only statements about what you CAN review. Therefore, if it isn't in the rulebook that you can review it, then it is un-reviewable.

- They try like hell to make any judgement call un-reviewable. Trying to review a judgement call would be a nightmare. Calling balls and strikes (as currently done) is a judgement call - they don't want to get into that until roboumps take over. A batter trying to avoid or lean into a pitch would also be a judgement call, I would imagine.

Because of this, I can see how it couldn't be reviewed.
htxag09
AG
I think the term "judgment" call is a load of bs and way overused. What does this mean? It's a judgement that the batter leaned over the plate and got hit by a strike? Bull ****, it's plain as day on the replay that's what he did. Literally every call by an umpire on the field is a judgement at the time.
Ag_07
AG
I understand it as there is a list of things that by rule can not be reviewed.

I'm guessing that was due to the umpire's union wanting some protection.
bearkatag15
AG

This ball was destroyed. 485 foot HR.
TxAg82
AG
JJxvi said:

Since it was a game ending play, the Marlins have until tomorrow at noon to lodge a formal protest with the league. I dont see why they wouldnt.

So IMO theres a slim chance that MLB agrees that Kulpa was going to call it a strike (and knowing the fact that the entire world knows it was a bull**** call) decides to grant the protest and restart the game with 2 outs and the bases loaded in the 9th based on the misapplication of the following rule...
Quote:

Rule 5.05 b (2):

If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball.
Knowing MLB and sports leagues in general are just baffling with their decisions I think theres a bigger chance that Kulpa just says "oh yeah I called it a ball" and MLB shrugs their shoulders.
Well if there is ever a time to grant a protest it is for this. That rule is pretty clear. There is video evidence of the umpire calling the pitch a strike and then awarding the batter 1st base via HPB. He misapplied the rule. There is no judgment call here.
First Page Last Page
Page 90 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.