***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,836,031 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1-8 in the last 9 games

I assume (and hope) the offense will come around at some point, but this bullpen isn't playoff caliber.
Farmer1906
AG
Dinker up the middle ends it. We wasted a good start by Garcia. The Calvary did nothing. The bullpen is a problem. Time to bring Javier back. Is Scrubb ready. We gotta mix it up fast.
Big Al 1992
AG
At Coors Field no less.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

So stupid

When his run meant something he chose Toro instead.

Joe Smith probably comes in regardless with Taylor and Enoli out.
Ag_07
AG
Are we ever gonna see Baez?
Farmer1906
AG
Good question. What the hell is Baez?
Beat40
The bullpen is a problem, but even with their performance, we could have won 2-3 more games if the damn offense would produce.
Beat40
To be honest, I'm not sure AB should be in the 3 spot. He's not walking and he's chopping everything into the ground. I'd rather Carlos be 3rd and AB be 5th. Hell, I'd put Yuli in the 3rd spot over AB right now.
Farmer1906
AG
Things can change quickly. I think AB is still the guy you want in the 2-4 part of the line up.
1876er
AG
May be time to accept that this team just isn't very good.
Farmer1906
AG
This team is still plenty good. We have 146 games left. Slow down.
Beat40
I'd still like to take some pressure off him. At least Yuli is drawing walks. I would actually like to put some pressure on some pitchers with multiple guys on base.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Want to emphasize before I say this that I'm not jumping off the cliff, this is just a hypothetical for discussion...

I know things could turn around and all, but If this keeps up and it's still a disaster by memorial day, click and crane have to seriously consider shopping correa while he's still healthy.
Try and get the Machado package like what the dodgers gave up in 2018. Help get some badly needed reinforcements into the farm system. Yuli can probably bring some return, and maybe Grienke. It's better than the measley como picks you would get when they leave for free agency.
Ag_07
AG
Dusty on the Toro PH

I wanted to save Yordan in case the score stayed the same or if we got closer and to use him against their best closer.

WTF?!?! It is 4/20 and they're in Colorado.
Beat40
I'd like for things to turn around tomorrow, please.
Kashchei
AG
Crane's lack of balls destroyed this team. Instead of telling MLB to shove it he takes it up the ass and fires the league's best GM and one of the game's best managers. He replaces them with with a bargain hunter and a clueless old man who's never won **** as a manager. You can probably kiss Correa goodbye too.

Meanwhile Boston, helmed by ALEX CORA, is 12-6.

Thanks for 2017 Crane, but after last year you can **** right off.
redline248
AG
This team needs Altuve back. Get rid of Straw, move Tucker down until he gets going.

Then again, the pitching has been atrocious, for the most part. In the few good starts we get the bullpen sucks.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Abreu calling out straw. I mean, he's not wrong, but you don't air that out in the media.
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

Abreu calling out straw. I mean, he's not wrong, but you don't air that out in the media.

The young guys really talking a lot early on. The veterans have some work to do in the clubhouse.
agdaddy04
AG
Beat40 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

The young guys really talking a lot early on. The veterans have some work to do in the clubhouse.

Need JV back in a big way.
MaxPower
Very poorly managed game for Dusty. F- A rookie pitcher who has been a starter his whole life shouldn't come in to put out a fire with 2 on in a 1-0 game.....and that wasn't even the most idiotic decision he made in that inning.
tjack16
AG
All it takes is one 5 game winning streak to turn things around. It would be really great if that started today.
Ag4life80
AG
Raley and Smith are awful. I've never been a Dusty fan as a manager. Straw is tentative and overmatched. Abreau threw a sh*t pitch that hung out over the middle and got crushed. He needs to stfu. We got multiple Skeeters on the big league club right now. Need Framber back. Terrible hitting by Tucker.
Man, this team has issues. At least Dusty is still sporting a mask, rubber gloves, sweat bands, wrist watch, and a blank look. So there's that.
3 Toed Pete
AG
If the front office really believes Straw is an every day major league outfielder then he needs to be sent down to AAA and play CF every night and learn how to read the ball off of the bat. Some of that is instinctual but some is learned and it appears Straw has never played much OF his entire life.
Farmer1906
AG
He's played 2782.1 innings across MiLB & MLB in CF.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

That's a lot of evidence that he's not going to get any better.
Frok
AG
I agree Straw isn't that good, but I wonder if the thin air in Denver played a factor in that ball sailing over his head. I can see it carrying further than he expected it to.
Aggie8587
AG
I know the scores ended up looking out of hand, but you could argue that Straw may have cost us the past 2 games. Games that we absolutely needed and he botched two plays in high leverage moments that most decent CFs make. If it happens once, that's baseball. Twice in 2 games? That's not acceptable
tjack16
AG
Frok said:

I agree Straw isn't that good, but I wonder if the thin air in Denver played a factor in that ball sailing over his head. I can see it carrying further than he expected it to.

He was playing pretty shallow for that ballpark according to the broadcasters.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16 said:

Frok said:

He was playing pretty shallow for that ballpark according to the broadcasters.
He's been a key part of blowing a lead in 2 straight games. Both balls should have been caught. Put Chaz out there, he can't be any worse than Straw.
3 Toed Pete
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I don't disagree at all. If the front office wants to continue with this experiment, it needs to be done at AAA or Corpus and see if he can become competent. You just can't have a .200 hitter making this many poor plays in CF.
Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I mean, If you compare all of his CF experience across both leagues to Buxton and JBJ, Buxton and JBJ have a fielding %of .991 and Straw's is .985. For however baseball reference calculates range factor, he has more range than JBJ.
htxag09
AG
My issue is he's a damn black hole at the plate. It can be argued that it's worth it if he's saving runs in the outfield. But no production as a hitter and costing us runs in the OF? GTFO
Mathguy64
AG
Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I mean, If you compare all of his CF experience across both leagues to Buxton and JBJ, Buxton and JBJ have a fielding %of .991 and Straw's is .985. For however baseball reference calculates range factor, he has more range than JBJ.

He's a horrific CFer. We all saw it last year. He gets bad jumps, takes horrible routes to balls and had no arm at all.

You could ignore all that and live with it if he hit .290/.380/.550 with 40 HRs and 100 RBI. Straw doesn't and is replacing a guy who did.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

He's 35th out of 66th in Outfield Jump.
37th in Reaction
30th in Burst
45h in Route

5* plays (0-25%)
0/4

4* plays (26-50%)
0/1

3* plays (51-75%)
1/2

2* plays (75-90%)
1/1

He's a -2 for Outs Above Average.

Outs Above Average (OAA) is the cumulative effect of all individual plays a fielder has been credited or debited with, making it a range-based metric of fielding skill that accounts for the number of plays made and the difficulty of them. For example, a fielder who catches a 25% Out Probability play gets +.75; one who fails to make the play gets -.25.
First Page Last Page
Page 155 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.