***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,829,129 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yall wanna know who's be absolutely electric in the OF this year? Brett Phillips. He was a part of the package we went for Gomez & Fiers.
spadilly
S
Got an email that presale tickets for May go on sale tomorrow.
Looking forward to the Jays (hopefully Springer plays) on a Friday night, then games with both the Dodgers and Padres later in the month.
Deluxe
AG
StrAAAAw
htxag09
AG
Brett Phillips's RAR is -0.8?????
Farmer1906
AG
His bat has been ****, but defensively he's been elite.
htxag09
AG
His defensive rar is 0.3, which is the same as straw
CFTXAG10
AG
spadilly said:

Got an email that presale tickets for May go on sale tomorrow.
Looking forward to the Jays (hopefully Springer plays) on a Friday night, then games with both the Dodgers and Padres later in the month.
Lots of tickets still available for pretty much every game. I bought some extras for Mothers Day.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Not in a defense of Straw, but currently there is no AAA....so he isnt going anywhere but I do agree with giving him a few days to think about it
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Yall wanna know who's be absolutely electric in the OF this year? Brett Phillips. He was a part of the package we went for Gomez & Fiers.

One of the retroactively worse trades in franchise history given the scandal
CFTXAG10
AG
I think its time to at least experiment with Chaz in CF. We need to start tinkering with the lineup instead of just rolling Straw out there every night and hoping he "snaps out of it". It really does suck that the minors don't get going for a few more weeks. I am excited to see if Leon get off to a hot start and put some pressure on Click to bring him up.
Deluxe
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Not in a defense of Straw, but currently there is no AAA....so he isnt going anywhere but I do agree with giving him a few days to think about it

Yea. It seems like we're gonna give him every opportunity and probly error on the side of keeping him there too long than benching him too soon (kinda like Tyler White in 2019). I kinda get it due to lack of options and we could hide him better if we were hitting better as a team. But I think the writing is basically on the wall with him at this point.
Deluxe
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I think its time to at least experiment with Chaz in CF. We need to start tinkering with the lineup instead of just rolling Straw out there every night and hoping he "snaps out of it". It really does suck that the minors don't get going for a few more weeks. I am excited to see if Leon get off to a hot start and put some pressure on Click to bring him up.

I like Chas more than Straw because his approach at the plate makes more sense at the big league level. He's a much more creative hitter. He's exceptional at adjusting his body to different pitch speed/locations and using the ground as leverage in his swing. That obviously doesn't guarantee success because other weaknesses could come to the surface and offset that ability, but fundamentally it's very reminiscent of someone like Dustin Pedroia and even a little bit of Altuve.

Straw just seems like he's up there trying to take these long, smooth, powerful swings like Frank Thomas and drive the ball but he only has warning track power. And that approach mostly neutralizes his best asset (speed).

If I had to invest in either player becoming a quality big leaguer, it would be Chas hands down.
Farmer1906
AG
htxag09 said:

His defensive rar is 0.3, which is the same as straw
He's smoking the rest of the league so far this year. We're looking at his 6 opportunities, but on those, he's been lightning. He's already got a 5* play to his name.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outfield_jump

Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

CFTXAG10 said:

I like Chas more than Straw because his approach at the plate makes more sense at the big league level. He's a much more creative hitter. He's exceptional at adjusting his body to different pitch speed/locations and using the ground as leverage in his swing. That obviously doesn't guarantee success because other weaknesses could come to the surface and offset that ability, but fundamentally it's very reminiscent of someone like Dustin Pedroia and even a little bit of Altuve.

Straw just seems like he's up there trying to take these long, smooth, powerful swings like Frank Thomas and drive the ball but he only has warning track power. And that approach mostly neutralizes his best asset (speed).

If I had to invest in either player becoming a quality big leaguer, it would be Chas hands down.
I would too, but Chas's ceiling is likely 4th outfielder. He shouldn't be a big-league everyday player most likely. Straw on the other hand has a skill they think could translate into something. Straw's ceiling is high-end CF defensively and a threat on the bases. But Chas is close to reaching his potential and Straw is light-years away.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

Straw's ceiling is high-end CF defensively and a threat on the bases.

Ok this is just crazy. No way in hell anyone thinks he can be high-end defensively.

And as far as being a threat on the bases the biggest hold up to that is he doesn't get on base.

I don't think Straw was ever seen as more than a serviceable stop gap except now we're seeing he's not even good enough for that.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Straw's ceiling is high-end CF defensively and a threat on the bases.

Ok this is just crazy. No way in hell anyone thinks he can be high-end defensively.

And as far as being a threat on the bases the biggest hold up to that is he doesn't get on base.

I don't think Straw was ever seen as more than a serviceable stop gap except now we're seeing he's not even good enough for that.
I agree with a lot of what's said about Straw as far as him not being the answer and is the weakest defensive link when everyone is healthy.

Here is what I HATE though: He's become the subject of the most ire during this losing streak. The whole damn team is performing horribly. In the last 14 days, Straw has 7 hits. The Astros as a team have 71 hits in the last 14 days, so he has 10% of the Astros hits in the last 14 days.

Straw is one of the last reasons this team is losing and is drawing the most ire. Bregman has ONE hit in the last 14 days, which obviously came before sitting out.

People say he's directly responsible for losing 2 games during this stretch. Maybe so - but the damn offense is making things so difficult that we have razor thin margins.

I don't mind discussing Straw not being the answer, but can we please at least spread out the hate a little more.
htxag09
AG
No doubt the entire team is struggling. But your comparison is irrelevant, IMO. Bregman has half the AB's as Straw during the last couple weeks.

I think there is major frustration on Straw because he's not in a slump, this is just who he is up to this point. On top of that his defense is a liability that's directly resulted in opposing runs during this losing stretch.

But yes, plenty of blame to go around. Tucker, Bregman, Machete, Correa, pretty much the entire pitching staff, all way below where they need to be.
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

Abreu calling out straw. I mean, he's not wrong, but you don't air that out in the media.
You know what's funny about this call out? According to Baseball Savant, the exit velocity on Cron's double was 112.9mph with an xBA of .950 and a launch angle of 19.
Beat40
htxag09 said:

No doubt the entire team is struggling. But your comparison is irrelevant, IMO. Bregman has half the AB's as Straw during the last couple weeks.

I think there is major frustration on Straw because he's not in a slump, this is just who he is up to this point. On top of that his defense is a liability that's directly resulted in opposing runs during this losing stretch.

But yes, plenty of blame to go around. Tucker, Bregman, Machete, Correa, pretty much the entire pitching staff, all way below where they need to be.
It's not an irrelevant comparison. If you take out the past 7 days, of which Straw has 3 hits, he still had 4 the week before, and Alex still only has 1.

I also agree with you that who he is at the plate is who is actually is and what we've seen from AB is not who he is. The fact is he has out performed Alex to this point. That will obviously reverse and Alex will blow Straw out of the water.

Look - I don't like that Straw is our main option for CF, but I will not agree with the ire he's receiving as I think the team has bigger problems than Straw playing everyday. Inserting Chas for Straw doesn't fix the problems the team currently has, and I'm not sure it even changes enough to move the needle.
bearkatag15
AG

No Straw today..
CFTXAG10
AG
Chas starting in CF today
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

No Straw today..
I disagree with Yuli batting 6th.
Ag_07
AG
And just like that Chas leading off in CF
htxag09
AG
Beat40 said:

htxag09 said:

It's not an irrelevant comparison. If you take out the past 7 days, of which Straw has 3 hits, he still had 4 the week before, and Alex still only has 1.

I also agree with you that who he is at the plate is who is actually is and what we've seen from AB is not who he is. The fact is he has out performed Alex to this point. That will obviously reverse and Alex will blow Straw out of the water.

Look - I don't like that Straw is our main option for CF, but I will not agree with the ire he's receiving as I think the team has bigger problems than Straw playing everyday. Inserting Chas for Straw doesn't fix the problems the team currently has, and I'm not sure it even changes enough to move the needle.
I think we mainly agree with each other with the premise of all this. However, I have to point this out. You can't take a 7 game stretch and say that Straw has outperformed Bregman to this point, maybe in that stretch, but not to this point of the season. Bregman has had a tough year so far. Between injuries, recovery, COVID protocol, etc. he's sat out 6 games already out of 16. It's tough to get in a groove and play well considering you've only played in a little more than half our games. He's still outperformed Straw to this point. He's hitting .256, OPS of .745, and still been solid in the field, .967 fielding % (1 error). Straw is hitting .200, OPS of .462, and a liability on the field.
bearkatag15
AG

Finally have Javier back
bearkatag15
AG

If this is true Straw shouldn't have played yesterday
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

If this is true Straw shouldn't have played yesterday
I have a feeling if they didn't play every guy feeling the effects of the covid shots, they wouldn't be able to field a team.
Farmer1906
AG
And why is Chas leading off?
Beat40
htxag09 said:

Beat40 said:

htxag09 said:

I think we mainly agree with each other with the premise of all this. However, I have to point this out. You can't take a 7 game stretch and say that Straw has outperformed Bregman to this point, maybe in that stretch, but not to this point of the season. Bregman has had a tough year so far. Between injuries, recovery, COVID protocol, etc. he's sat out 6 games already out of 16. It's tough to get in a groove and play well considering you've only played in a little more than half our games. He's still outperformed Straw to this point. He's hitting .256, OPS of .745, and still been solid in the field, .967 fielding % (1 error). Straw is hitting .200, OPS of .462, and a liability on the field.
I'm good being wrong. I was just using hits as productivity, which isn't the best way, so I lose this one.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

I think if it were me, I'd go Brantley, Yuli, Correa, Bregman. I'd also be fine swapping Bregman and Yuli. I just like what Yuli's been doing at the plate lately and think if we could actually string together a couple of guys on base at the same time we might be able to make the opposing pitcher feel a little pressure.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Why not?

Seems like anyone we stick in there goes 0-fer

Without Altuve we have no good options at leadoff. At this point it's just throwing shlt at the wall.
BCEDAg
AG
Dusty must read Texags.com since Chas is replacing Straw in the lineup today.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Why not?

Without Altuve we have no good options at leadoff. At this point it's just throwing shlt at the wall.
Because it's dumb.
redline248
AG
This is a crazy idea, and it doesn't matter anyway, but I would let Yuli leadoff while Altuve is out. He's been hitting and drawing walks. He ranks 6th in on base percentage, right now. I know he's not a threat to steal, but he's fast enough to score on some hits and it's not like we steal bases, anyway. Plus he has power.

At the very least he should be hitting in front of Tucker, right now.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Why not?

Because we have better hitters behind him. If its the bottom of the 9th, down 1, and the line up turns over, don't you want Brantley up and not Chas?

Any of the better hitters would be better options.
First Page Last Page
Page 156 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.