*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,624 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
any "10 year deal" is really going to be a 6 year deal with option for Correa to get out of it.

I don't see him taking anything short of $300m in "total money"
Farmer1906
AG
Good article on JBJ

https://www.mlb.com/news/jackie-bradley-jr-best-free-agency-fits
BMX Bandit
with Brantley signing, don't think he's in the cards. They will more likely use that money on Hand is my guess.
Farmer1906
AG
Spotrac has Hand's market value at 2 year 16.4 M
Fangraph's Edwards predicted 2 year 20 M
Fangraph's Crowdsource Median 3 year 27.9 M

I think if its sub 10 and only 2 years, it could work.

I also wouldn't be shocked is we just rolled with a combo of Baez, Parades, Pressly for the 7-9 plus a little Smith when we need to get a righty or two out to end an inning.

Say we spend on Hand, I really hope we don't plan on sticking with Straw as the everyday starter.
BMX Bandit
don't like it either, but my guess is Straw is the plan to start in CF 2021 unless is someone like Marisnick at a league minimum type deal

(and not saying they will go get Hand, but that its more likely they will spend what left on a pitcher like him than an OF like Bradley)
CFTXAG10
AG
BMX Bandit said:

with Brantley signing, don't think he's in the cards. They will more likely use that money on Hand is my guess.
FWIW I talked to somebody (higher up) in the Astros org yesterday and he mentioned pitching more than anything, including adding a starter. I also got the impression we won't get into the luxury tax.

He also confirmed we were never in on Springer, but the organization has already made a tribute video that should be released soon and they have plans to honor him Mother's Day weekend at MMP.
bearkatag15
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

BMX Bandit said:

FWIW I talked to somebody (higher up) in the Astros org yesterday and he mentioned pitching more than anything, including adding a starter. I also got the impression we won't get into the luxury tax.

He also confirmed we were never in on Springer, but the organization has already made a tribute video that should be released soon and they have plans to honor him Mother's Day weekend at MMP.
Ok but what about that Correa extension??
Mr.Bond
AG
Rip hammerin hank
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Deluxe
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

BMX Bandit said:

This wouldn't surprise me. With Tucker/Brantley solidifying the bookends and a couple projects/prospects in the oven, going the value route in CF seems like the right play.

Adding a closer type to the bullpen seems like nice option, but possibly cost prohibitive relative to the quality of talent. Hand would be a nice add and would give us three very good lefty options out of the bullpen, but obviously he's highly sought after.

Another option, like you said, would be to add a value starter or two, which would allow us to use Javier and Urquidy in flex roles. It's hard to pencil any of our starters in for 200 innings in 2021 anyway. Here's a list of some guys who are still available (at least per MLB.com's list) and their age/19-20 cumulative WAR:

Rick Porcello (32, 3.4)
Adam Wainwright (39, 3.2)
Homer Bailey (35, 3.0)
Jon Lester (37, 3.0)
Anbal Snchez (37, 2.7)
Brett Anderson (33, 2.6)
Cole Hamels (37, 2.6)
Martn Prez (30, 2.3)
J.A. Happ (38, 1.9)
Ivn Nova (34, 1.8)
Jake Arrieta (35, 1.6)
Rich Hill (41, 1.6)
Jordan Zimmermann (35, 1.5)
Gio Gonzlez (35, 1.3)
Chase Anderson (33, 1.1)
Ariel Jurado (25, 1.0)
Mike Leake (33, 1.0)
Carlos Rodn (28, 1.0)
Jeff Samardzija (36, 1.0)
Chris Archer (32, 0.7)
Garrett Richards (33, 0.7)
Julio Teheran (30, 0.7)
Taijuan Walker (28, 0.7)
Tommy Milone (34, 0.6)
Matt Shoemaker (34, 0.6)
Trevor Williams (29, 0.6)
Collin McHugh (34, 0.5)
Matt Moore (32, 0.5)
Aaron Sanchez
Bulldog73
AG
Hard to believe Tijuan Walker is only 28. I've been hearing about him for what seems like 20 years.
Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Rip hammerin hank
Lost a legend
Anonymous Source
S
Mr.Bond said:

Rip hammerin hank
Gig 'Em
Farmer1906
AG
If we're bargain bin shopping for starting pitching then I'd love to see Strom get ahold of Garrett Richards. He spins it as good as anything and brings some serious heat.

Archer could be a nice buy low candidate. No idea what he's going to fetch.

Edit:

If we're looking 2022 Starting Pitching How about the names on this list.

Noah Syndergaard, Clayton Kershaw, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Zack Greinke.

4 locks to be HOFers and Thor.
Farmer1906
AG
One fewer OF option.

spadilly
S
Mr.Bond said:

Rip hammerin hank

Milo and Hank:

Gramercy Riffs
AG
Deluxe said:

Here's a list of some guys who are still available (at least per MLB.com's list) and their age/19-20 cumulative WAR:

J.A. Happ (38, 1.9)

I think Happ went to the Twins.
W
AG
at this point the Padres have to be pulling lost treasure out of the Pacific Ocean
Mathguy64
AG
That's a ton of $$ for Profar. Woof.
W
AG
another note on George...he is the Blue Jays' highest paid player at $25 MM per year.

the next highest is Jin Ryu making $20 MM per year thru 2023.

then no one else is above the $10 MM threshold.

which means if Toronto's master plan for success (via young Bichette, Biggio, and Vlad Jr.) starts falling apart by 2022 or 2023...

George could be or will be on the trading block

Deluxe
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Deluxe said:

Here's a list of some guys who are still available (at least per MLB.com's list) and their age/19-20 cumulative WAR:

J.A. Happ (38, 1.9)

I think Happ went to the Twins.

Got it. I figured the list probably wasn't perfectly current.
halfastros81
AG
I'd be ok with signing Marisnik for CF. At least we'd know the defensive side of the position would be top notch. I hope Straw can be an everyday player but at this point I am unconvinced. Straw is a weapon on the bases because of his speed even tho he hasn't shown himself to be a real smart baserunner but the defense and bat are the bigger question mark. You can teach him to run the bases and at least to be better/smarter in the field but I fear he just doesn't have the talent at the plate to be an everyday player on a championship level team.

Not that Marisnik's bat is great but probably adequate. Marisnik's arm is probably an upgrade from George

Anyone know why Marisnik only had 34 AB's last yr? Didn't really follow the Mets. Was he hurt?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Frok said:

Farmer1906 said:

I really really hope we can lock Carlos up. I wonder what it is going to take. Manny got 300M over 10 years. I'd say Carlos is a notch below him. Maybe 300 M over 12 years. That's a 25 M per year until Carlos is 38.

I sure hope we don't have to do one of those ridiculous 10 year contracts. Just pay him a crap load upfront while he is still good.
If we want Carlos it will absolutely take a mega deal. A player like him isnt going to risk becoming a free agent at 34/35, wanting to play a few more years and having to scrape around...I could maybe see "someone" taking a shorter deal for like $40mil a year but that is never happening either..

I think if we can make it $24-27million per year at 9-12 years both sides would be happy. If you were willing to offer 12 maybe you can get him to agree to something like 22 for the security...it would be roughly the same as 26.4 over 10 years
MtnAg08
AG
Quote:

slightly changing subjects...

will Springer have his jersey retired by the Astros someday?

George played 7 years (2014-2020) for the 'stros...and technically he was a member of the organization for 10 years (drafted in 2011).
It seems like when they started the Astros Hall of Fame in 2019 one of the things they said was it was going to reduce the number of jerseys they retired as they felt too many had been done for very good/great players but not all-timers. Instead they would induct the players into the Astros HOF and save jersey retirements for the creme de la creme.

Springer is obviously a shoo-in for the Astros HOF but based on the mindset they had opening the Astros HOF I don't think he'd have his jersey retired. Of course by the time he and the other current players from the 2015-2020+ era start retiring who knows who will be in charge and how they'll feel about jersey retirements.

I would imagine if Wagner gets inducted into Cooperstown in the next few years he would be the next to actually have the jersey retired.
Farmer1906
AG
I would start over for retired #s.

Draw the line are career WAR on the team at... 40? 50? Maybe make an exception if they're a RP.

Here is the current list.

Or maybe even limit the retired #s to HOFers.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
MtnAg08 said:

Quote:

slightly changing subjects...

will Springer have his jersey retired by the Astros someday?

George played 7 years (2014-2020) for the 'stros...and technically he was a member of the organization for 10 years (drafted in 2011).
It seems like when they started the Astros Hall of Fame in 2019 one of the things they said was it was going to reduce the number of jerseys they retired as they felt too many had been done for very good/great players but not all-timers. Instead they would induct the players into the Astros HOF and save jersey retirements for the creme de la creme.

Springer is obviously a shoo-in for the Astros HOF but based on the mindset they had opening the Astros HOF I don't think he'd have his jersey retired. Of course by the time he and the other current players from the 2015-2020+ era start retiring who knows who will be in charge and how they'll feel about jersey retirements.

I would imagine if Wagner gets inducted into Cooperstown in the next few years he would be the next to actually have the jersey retired.
I dont see Wagner at all, unfortunately because I loved that guy. I think the next to go in the rafters will be Jose and not sure if we will see any others from this group, outside shot for Bregman and Correa if they are lifers and tear it up continually.

Springer unfortunately...no and I dont want to see it. You dont get leave at your first contract and be remembered with a retired jersey
AustinCountyAg
Altuve will be the next Astro with his number retired.

As much as I love Berkman, and Oswalt they don't deserve to have their # retired. Astros Hall of Fame thing n the outfield, yes.
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

As much as I love Berkman, and Oswalt they don't deserve to have their # retired. Astros Hall of Fame thing n the outfield, yes.
Compared to who is out there? They absolutely do.
Farmer1906
AG
Was listening to a podcast that touched on the Astros. I forgot just how great Altuve was in the postseason last year.

Regular Season: .286 .344 .629
Post Season: .500 .729 1.229
Combined: .333 .421 .754

All and all it would still be a down year, but the playoffs (13 games) really bring him up from the depths of his terrible season.
Mr.Ackar07
Farmer1906 said:

Was listening to a podcast that touched on the Astros. I forgot just how great Altuve was in the postseason last year.

Regular Season: .286 .344 .629
Post Season: .500 .729 1.229
Combined: .333 .421 .754

All and all it would still be a down year, but the playoffs (13 games) really bring him up from the depths of his terrible season.
But that fielding percentage though
AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Compared to who is out there? They absolutely do.
I never said all of the current #'s retired deserved it.
MtnAg08
AG
With the Astros Hall of Fame a thing now I'd like to see them only retire jerseys for those inducted in Cooperstown going forward. Allows the team to honor and display our favorite players over the years while reserving the ultimate honor for the all time greats.
Mr.Bond
AG
Gonna get to the point kinda like the cowboys do it. Honor the player with name/# in rafters but it's not retired from use. We have a ton of retired numbers for a relatively young franchise
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

W
AG
I agree.

start with Jake & Straw...and if the CF situation bombs...then go get a journeyman CF at the trade deadline.

note: Jake had multiple hamstring injuries during the 2020 season
W
AG
I would start over too.

ol' Drayton really got the Astros into a mess with it.

only #5 and #7 should be retired.

everyone else in the Astros' Hall of Fame

W
AG
I would also remove the DK sign...and put something about that in the Astros Hall of Fame too
First Page Last Page
Page 63 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.