*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,206 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
halfastros81 said:

Very happy that they kept Uncle Mike in the fold. Now, what to do about center field?
One word. Brocamonte.
Farmer1906
AG
halfastros81 said:

Very happy that they kept Uncle Mike in the fold. Now, what to do about center field?
If they stay in house it would likely be Straws, maybe let TED play some there if we find better corner options, but that isn't ideal.

Here are the remaining CF free agents.
Jackie Bradley Jr
Kevin Pillar
Brett Gardner
Cameron Maybin
Delino Deshields
Jake Marisnick
Billy Hamilton
Juan Lagares

My choices would be JBJ, Marisnick, Pillar in that order.
Deluxe
AG
Don't be surprised if Jose Siri factors into the outfield discussion too. Not saying we want to bank on him as the starting CF going into spring, but he could end up as that by midseason. Sounds like his plate discipline is improving and drew some pretty strong interest in the free agent market before we snagged him.

I might be more on the side of signing Jake or Maybin to a short/cheap deal. We obviously don't want to put all our eggs in the Siri basket, but not sure we want to spend $10mm on someone like JBJ either. Then save our remaining $$ for another bullpen arm or for dry powder at the deadline.

https://aroundthefoghorn.com/2020/12/12/sf-giants-rumors-jose-siri/

Quote:

In seven minor league seasons with the Reds, Siri slashed .264/.313/.447 with 68 home runs, 98 doubles, 54 triples, and 270 RBI. He has always demonstrated tantalizing 70 to 80-grade potential power with good speed on the bases, consistently ranking among the Reds top 30 prospects.

However, historically, Siri has struggled with plate discipline. Over his career, he has posted a six percent walk rate against a 27.7 percent strikeout rate. The swing-and-miss is always going to be part of his game, but the Giants hoped that they could help him be more selective at the plate and develop hit tool enough to allow him to more consistently tap into his power.

Furthermore, Siri has the speed, athleticism, and instincts to stick in center field, so even if he does not make major strides at the plate, he has the profile of a solid fourth outfielder.

This winter, Siri is playing in the Dominican Winter League for the second consecutive year. He has posted a .771 OPS and most notably, cut his strikeout and nearly doubled his walk-rate, suggesting he is making strides in his development.
Anonymous Source
S
Farmer1906 said:

halfastros81 said:

If they stay in house it would likely be Straws, maybe let TED play some there if we find better corner options, but that isn't ideal.

Jackie Bradley Jr
Kevin Pillar
Brett Gardner
Cameron Maybin
Delino Deshields
Jake Marisnick
Billy Hamilton
Juan Lagares

My choices would be JBJ, Marisnick, Pillar in that order.
Second
Gig 'Em
Farmer1906
AG
That seems like a long shot, but its worth noting.

If Leon can prove he can play CF and develops as expected, he's the target for CF in 2022/3.

We need someone that can help us now. 2 year deal, max.
Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

Jackie Bradley Jr. ok
Kevin Pillar. Meh
Brett Gardner. I would kill myself before watching him play on this team.
Cameron Maybin. Nope.
Delino Deshields. Nope nope.
Jake Marisnick. Ok
Billy Hamilton. Nope.
Juan Lagares. Who?
mazag08
AG
I'd still like us to grab Naquin. Platoon him with Straw.

Quote:

• Tyler Naquin is drawing interest from multiple teams, Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes, but it doesn't seem like a reunion with the Indians is in the cards. "The chances of [Naquin] re-signing were slim" after the Tribe non-tendered Naquin earlier this month, Hoynes writes. The 15th overall pick of the 2012 draft, Naquin showed flashes of stardom (particularly in his 2016 rookie year) during five seasons in Cleveland, but injuries and struggles against left-handed pitching have hampered Naquin's career. Interstingly, Hoynes notes that "a couple" of teams are thinking about Naquin as a candidate to play center field, though Naquin hasn't played the position since 2018 and his defensive metrics as a center fielder aren't promising.

He's been good when healthy against righties. Would also be a decent insurance plan for any injuries.
Beat40
Could we trade half our minor league system for Trout? That would shore up the CF position I think.
BCEDAg
AG
Probably would take more than that to get Trout lol
CoachRTM
AG
* goes to settings *

Force Trade -> On

*backs out*

Ok, we're good to go.
tjack16
AG
CoachRTM said:

* goes to settings *

Force Trade -> On

*backs out*

Ok, we're good to go.

Trades minor league prospect for Gerrit Cole. Force trade. Edit all Astros attributes to max out 99 and edit contracts to year 1 of 10 for all

We good now
W
AG
yes, 2-year max.

now will Bradley accept a 2-year deal
Farmer1906
AG
He may not have a choice if no one offers him a 3 year deal. Maybe give him a mutual option or vesting option for the 3rd year.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Like the Castro signing. Solid value L/R platoon with Maldy behind the plate.
Lets expand on this.

Castro vs Righties 105 wRC+ career, 123 wRC+ in 2019
Machete vs Lefties 82 wRC+ career, 148 wRC+ in 2020

We may even end up with league average production from the catcher spot. That would be outstanding.

That has only happened for us 4x in the last 20 years. The best year coming in 2000 with a wRC+ of 109 thanks to Mitch Meluskey.
Deluxe
AG
Yep, Castro is a very solid offensive player so long as he doesn't have to face lefties, which he shouldn't have to do much this year.
redline248
AG
Probably a better pinch hit option vs rhp than Toro, too.
W
AG
I had forgotten about Toro.

is he, um, going to make the team in 2021?
spadilly
S

spadilly
S
Quote:

"I love this organization. I love the Astros. I would love to be an Astro for life," Correa said. "I hope they're on the same side I am. If they're on the same side, I would love to be an Astro for the rest of my life.

"This is where I got drafted. This is where I've played. This is where I've developed and grown as a man. Nothing would make me happier than to represent this organization and be a franchise player."

"The most important thing to understand is it's a business and you have to leave your feelings out of it," Correa said. "You have to understand that teams are trying to build the best team possible and try to spend (a) less amount of money. That's what business means. You want to be able to profit and still have a solid team. I understand that. I leave feelings outside of it. I know arbitration is a process that happens to a lot of people."

Mathguy64
AG
Props to CC. Click and Crane, the ball's in your court.
Ag_07
AG
That aligns with what I've heard on Colin McHugh's podcast as far as players and arbitration.

IIRC he actually laughed about it saying it can sometimes be a beat down because you go in and get berated with reasons why you suck.

But from what I gathered players understand it.
Farmer1906
AG
I really really hope we can lock Carlos up. I wonder what it is going to take. Manny got 300M over 10 years. I'd say Carlos is a notch below him. Maybe 300 M over 12 years. That's a 25 M per year until Carlos is 38.
W
AG
slightly changing subjects...

will Springer have his jersey retired by the Astros someday?

George played 7 years (2014-2020) for the 'stros...and technically he was a member of the organization for 10 years (drafted in 2011).

Mike Scott only played 9 seasons with the Astros...and his jersey hangs in the rafters
Mr.Bond
AG
I think 100 percent. WS MVP and lead off man for greatest stretch in franchise history
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mr.Bond
AG
Hell we retired 42 and Jackie never played a game for the astros
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Farmer1906
AG
Agreed. The bar for Jersey retirement here is way too low. We need to retire Berkman, Wagner, & Oswald too.
Ag_07
AG
I think Carlos is better than Manny
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

I really really hope we can lock Carlos up. I wonder what it is going to take. Manny got 300M over 10 years. I'd say Carlos is a notch below him. Maybe 300 M over 12 years. That's a 25 M per year until Carlos is 38.

I wonder if we could get him for 240M over 8 years. Slightly higher annual value and you have him signed through 36.

The issue with Correa is going to be whether he can stay healthy. He's been relatively fragile, likely won't be SS for his entire career either.

Love Correa in his prime right now but i definitely don't like anything beyond 6 years
Ag_07
AG
No way he'd be ok being a FA at 36.

That's no man's land. Too young to retire and too old to get another decent contract.
tjack16
AG
I think 10 years 300 MM would probably get him to sign.

That's likely going to be the type of salary he demands if he goes to free agency. It might be over paying years 6-10. But that's the going rate for a top SS in his mid 20s right now.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Personal opinion here but if that's what it takes then he won't be an Astro...
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

No way he'd be ok being a FA at 36.

That's no man's land. Too young to retire and too old to get another decent contract.

No doubt, it's not really in his interest at all financially. But he can still get a huge contract and stay with the Astros if he wants to sacrifice years

But a 10 year contract? For the Astros it's really not worth it, far too much risk to potentially end up with another pujols albatross contract
tjack16
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Personal opinion here but if that's what it takes then he won't be an Astro...

Actually after looking at it I would say probably closer to 250 MM over 10 years would do it and be a good deal for both sides
Frok
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I sure hope we don't have to do one of those ridiculous 10 year contracts. Just pay him a crap load upfront while he is still good.
Farmer1906
AG
That's the name of the game when it comes to young stars.

A ten year contract means we'd get Carlos from age 27 to 36. Let's say the prime ends at 32. That's 6 years of elite SS play. Then possibly 1-2 more decent years. Before we're stuck paying for the last 2-3 that maybe aren't great. 60% of the contract is for a great player.

Compare that to wanting to pay George. He's 31. OFers probably age better than SS but elite George is only going to be around 1-2 more years. 33% of the contract is for a great player.

Short of paying Carlos 40+ a year for 6ish year, I can't see him signing a shorter deal.
First Page Last Page
Page 62 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.