BaseballReference.com oddities

43,964 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by McInnis
McInnis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't know until recently that at one time runs scored were credited to the pitcher in the game at the time, not the pitcher that put the runners on base.

This came into play during a game played on this date in 1912. The Washington Senators and St. Louis Browns were playing in the second game of a doubleheader. Walter Johnson, who was sporting a winning streak of 16 games was brought in relief in the 7th inning. The Senators had a 3-2 lead but the Browns had two runners on with one out. Both runners scored to give the Browns a 4-3 win. And the Big Train took the loss.
agsalaska
AG
I did not know that either.
Carlo4
AG
AgRyan04 said:

The first two Angels to win Rookie of the Year were Salmon and Trout

Seems kinda fishy to me
The Porkchop Express
AG
Carlo4 said:

AgRyan04 said:

Seems kinda fishy to me
If only they had drafted Kevin Bass.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
agsalaska
AG
Carlo4 said:

AgRyan04 said:

Seems kinda fishy to me
My 12 yo son has two kids with the last name Fish at his school and a kid name Bass at the other middle school. The fish are somehow, even in this small town, apparently not related. I said to him the other day 'that's crazy son. to have two Fish at the same school that are not related.' He looked right at me and without missing a beat said 'If Bass ever transfers over here we will have three'

I laughed.
Carlo4
AG
agsalaska said:

Carlo4 said:

AgRyan04 said:

Seems kinda fishy to me
My 12 yo son has two kids with the last name Fish at his school and a kid name Bass at the other middle school. The fish are somehow, even in this small town, apparently not related. I said to him the other day 'that's crazy son. to have two Fish at the same school that are not related.' He looked right at me and without missing a beat said 'If Bass ever transfers over here we will have three'

I laughed.

Now this is how you raise a kid. Bravo!
Corporal Punishment
AG
On May 29, 1976, Joe Niekro hit the only big league home run of his career (973 lifetime at bats), and it came off his brother Phil.
Iowaggie
AG
This may be elsewhere, but I'm sure quite a few remember this play

JT Snow should be his batboy
Johnsy3
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

On May 29, 1976, Joe Niekro hit the only big league home run of his career (973 lifetime at bats), and it came off his brother Phil.

Did Brother Phil Niekro punch a locker afterward?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Stan Musial was the rare star that didn't get drafted during the most intense fighting of World War II. At the time and throughout history many have thought the reason was because the Cardinals were able to somehow protect him, but the real reason was that he had just become a father before the war started for the US In 1941, and he was the sole provider of income for his parents.

Born in Donora, PA, he played on the same high school team as Ken Griffey Jr's grandfather Buddy Griffey. Remarkably, Junior and Musial have the same birthday.

Musial signed to play for a semi-pro team when he was 15 as a pitcher and struck out 13 grown men in 6 innings in his first game. The Cardinals signed him in 1938 as a pitcher, and in 1940 at age 19, he went 18-5 with a 2.62 ERA at Daytona Beach, while also batting .311.
His swing convinced the Cards to convert him to an OF, and after getting promoted twice in 1941, he played the final 12 games of the regular season with the big club, hitting an ungodly .426 (20 for 49) with a 1.024 OPS.

He eventually did go to the Navy in 1945, where the powers that be determined he should play baseball to entertain the troops. At one exhibition game, another sailor suggested he hit more homers and fewer singles and doubles. He complied by getting closer to the plate, and when he got back to the Majors, he ran it by his manager as a possible way to increase his run production.

In 1946, his career highs were 19 HR and 103 RBI. In 1948, he hit 39 HR and drove in 131 runs while also batting .376. He would hit 30+ HR 5 more times, drive in 100+ RBI 8 more times and finish with a .331 batting average, making a staggering 24 All-Star games.
McInnis
AG
Here's something that I just stumbled across that I found surprising. Sandy Koufax has a career WAR of 48.9. We've talked about a lot of players here who retired with WARs in the range of 50-60 and didn't make the HOF. Koufax is just barely edged out by Lou Brock as the Hall of Famer with the lowest career WAR, and we discussed the reason for that here a while back (his historically bad defense). But there's never been any controversy over Koufax being in.

Koufax pitched for only 12 years and everyone knows his career was cut short by recurring arm soreness. But what I didn't realize is that his first six years were the very definition of mediocre. In that time he had a record of 27-30 and an era of about 4.10. Then in 1961 he figured it out. He finished his career with:

Four no-hitters and a perfect game.
Three Cy Youngs, all of them by unanimous vote. And this was when only one Cy Young was awarded in the major leagues.
A career strikeout per nine inning ratio of 9.3, just under Nolan who had 9.5.
A career K to walk ratio of nearly 4.

Maybe most surprising to me is that in spite of his arm problems he went out at the top of his game. His last season was his best leading the NL with 27 wins and an era of 1.73.

Too bad he couldn't have lasted another two years and pitched in 1968, aka the year of the pitcher when Bob Gibson set a record that will probably stand forever by posting an era of 1.12. Wonder what Sandy could have done that season?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.