BaseballReference.com oddities

36,627 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Ag Since 83
Corporal Punishment
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

AgRyan04 said:

Luis Gonzalez has more career HRs than Ryne Sandberg.

Bobby Bonds was a 30/30 player for three different teams.
Gonzo home runs 1996-2001, can you detect a pattern?

Kirby Puckett

Home runs, first three seasons:

Zero

That stat always baffled me.
hawk1689
AG
I always thought of Wade Boggs' 24 home runs in '87 as one of those strange outlier seasons for a player.
AgRyan04
Ted Williams won 6 batting titles but never had 200 hits in a season
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AgRyan04
And another I'm suprised by....Johnny Bench only hit .300 once
Bregxit
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Ted Williams won 6 batting titles but never had 200 hits in a season

Hard to get 200 hits when you are drawing 160+ walks also for OBPs over .500.
AgRyan04
Fair point!
The Porkchop Express
AgRyan04 said:

And another I'm suprised by....Johnny Bench only hit .300 once
From a historical perspective, his career is a bit a of a disappointment. At age 22 he had 45 HR and 148 RBI and hit .293 and at 24 he had 40 HR and 125 RBI. He never got past 33 homers again and didn't even get to 400 for his career. He hit the injury/beatdown wall pretty early around age 31, and retired at 35.
AgRyan04
That is interesting...makes sense from position standpoint. I imagine if he was the in AL, they would have protected him a bit as the rule was introduced.

Something else I saw on Bench - he is one of three players win win a Gold Glove in each of his first ten full seasons in the bigs (Ichiro and Arenado are the other two)
AgRyan04
Jim Bunning is the only player voted into the Hall of Fame and the US Senate
AgRyan04
I know it's not THE least impressive stat line ever but I saw Zoilo Versalles's numbers from his 1965 MVP campaign and was a bit suprised at how pedestrian it was.

Versalles: 182 H, 126 R, 19 HR, 77 RBI, 27 SB, .273/.319/.462

For comparison, the NL winner was Willie Mays
Mays: 177 H, 118 R, 52 HR, 112 RBI, 9 SB, .317/.398/.645

In his defense, his defense was good - he was the GG winner at SS, but man it coulsnt have been THAT good. No one since has won an MVP with a lower BA and almost every winner since who had a sub-.300 BA has had 30-45 HRs.
94chem
So the guy with the longest game streak also played in the longest game? Wut?????
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
The Porkchop Express
hawk1689 said:

I always thought of Wade Boggs' 24 home runs in '87 as one of those strange outlier seasons for a player.
From the outside looking in, it looked like a steroid year across the board, but then the next year everyone regressed to the mean.

In the NL, you had 2 guys (Dawson/Murphy) hit over 40 and 5 other guys (Strawberry, Eric Davis, Howard Johnson, Mike Schmit, Jack Clark) hit 35+. Those were career highs for everyone by Schmidt, but he was already 36 at the time. Dason never hit more than 32 in any other season then randomly hit 49.

In the AL, you had 2 guys hit over 40 (McGwire, George Bell) and TWELVE guys hit 32-34, including guys who never came close to that again - Matt Nokes, Tom Brunansty, Mike Pagliaurulo, Wally Joyner, Cory Snyder, etc.
Joyner's 2nd highest season was 22, rather like Dawson, George Bell's second-highest season was 31. He didn't even get to 300 HR (265) despite getting 47 in one year! Brook Jacoby's high was 20.

Only Tony Gwynn didn't see affected. In '86 he hit .239 with 14 HR, in 1987 he hit .370 with 7 HR

AgRyan04
The first two Angels to win Rookie of the Year were Salmon and Trout
Corporal Punishment
AG
The New York Mets played the 1974 season at Shea Stadium…but so did the New York Yankees as Yankee Stadium was under renovation.

The New York Jets didn't play a home game until mid October.
AgRyan04
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nolanth01.shtml
McInnis
AG
Someone on the History Forum posted an interesting oddity about Don Gullett. He passed away this past Wednesday.

I'm guessing a lot of people now aren't familiar with him because he had his career cut so short by injuries. But he was on the fast track to the HOF. Finished with a career record of 109-50, an era of 3.11 and won four World Series rings with first the Big Red Machine and then the Yankees.

What he did to make him worthy of this thread is that he gave up Willie Mays' final HR, no. 660. And then he gave up Hank Aaron's 660th homer.
agenjake
This one gets me on Immaculate Grid. I can never get this stat through my brain.
Ornithopter
AG
Evan Gattis his 12 triples in his career, 11 of which came in 2015.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gattiev01.shtml
Corporal Punishment
AG
Daryl Hamilton tied the MLB record for the most plate appearances in a 9 inning game (8) and in a single inning (3).

He achieved those records in different games.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/plate_appearance_records.shtml
AgRyan04
This reminded me of a Don Mattingly stat.

Hit 6 grand slams in 1987, setting the MLB record.....and he had 0 career grand slams in any of his other 13 big league seasons.
Corporal Punishment
AG
From 1994...

"When Dave Otto of the Chicago Cubs and Robb Nen of the Florida Marlins pitched in the same game last week, it marked the first time in baseball history that two players with palindromic last names pitched in the same game."
https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19940812&slug=1924951

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN199408030.shtml

"There have been eight major-league players with a palindromic last name (reads the same backward or forward). Two play this season _ Texas pitcher Robb Nen and Pittsburgh pitcher Dave Otto.

The others: shortstop Toby Harrah (1969-84); catcher Truck Hannah (1918-20); third baseman Eddie Kazak (1948-52); Robb Nen's father, first baseman Dick Nen (1963, 1965-68, '70); first baseman Johnny Reder (1932), and catcher/first baseman Mark Salas (1984-91)."
https://www.tampabay.com/archive/1993/05/05/sports-bizarre/
AgRyan04
I never even knew Robb Nen's dad played in the bigs!
The Porkchop Express
Today I found out that Joe Carter is the only player to have 3 100 RBI seasons in a row for 3 different teams as well as 3 straight years leading the league in games played for 3 different teams.

He was the #2 pick in the 1981 draft for the Cubs, but they sent him to Cleveland to get Rick Sutcliffe ( a wise move) in 1984.

He became a star in Cleveland in 1986, leading the league in RBI and had a 30-30 season in 1987.

In 1989, he led the AL with 162 games played and had 105 RBI. He then went to San Diego in the mega trade that saw the Indians get Sandy Alomar, Carlos Baerga, and Blinn College's own Chris James. In 1990 he played in 162 games fo the Padres, leading the NL and drove in 115 runs. After thtat season he was in another mega trade, going to Toronto with Roberto Alomar for Fred McGriff and Tony Fernandez.
In 1991 he played in 162 games with the Blue Jays and had 108 RBI.
agsalaska
AG
Greg Maddux played in 744 games, starting 740. He finished 109 of those games, including his first game. All four bullpen appearances were in his first two years.

Clemens was similar.

That game has completely disappeared from baseball.
The Porkchop Express
From 1901-1955, there was only one member of the 30-30 club in MLB. That was Ken Williams, who in 1922 had a monster year for the St. Louis Browns, leading the league in HR (39), RBI (155), and total bases (367) while stealing 37 bases, hitting .332 and finishing with a 1.040 OPS. Despite that success, he finished his career with just 196 HR and 154 SB.
In 1956, Willie Mays became the 2nd member of the club, and the first in the NL with a 36-40 season, and hit 35-38 the next year. The AL would go 48 years between Williams' feat in 1922 and its next one, which came from Tommy Harper with the Brewers in 1970 (31-38). All told, the NL has almost lapped the AL in # of membres, with 41 compared to 23, with Carlos Beltran split between the two leagues with the Royals and Astros in 2004.

Jose Canseco was famously the first 40-40 guy in 1988. He and A-Rod (1998) are the only two guys in AL history to have a season of at least 40 homers combined with at least 30 steals. Meanwhile, in the NL, the 40-30 club includes Hank Aaron in 1963, Barry Bonds in 1996, Ellis Burks in 1996, Larry Walker, Jeff Bagwell, and Bonds in 1997, Bagwell again in 1999, Alfonso Soriano in 2006, Ryan Braun in 2012, Ronald Acuna in 2019, Christian Telich in 2019, and Acuna again 2023.
AgRyan04

McInnis
AG
That Foster stat shows how the game has changed. Here's another player's story that does that too.

Charles Bender of the Philadelphia A's had a good and interesting season in 1913. He was better known as Chief Bender, an American Guardian born of the Ojibwe tribe in Minnesota. In that year he started 21 games and finished 24 to lead the AL in games finished while posting a record of 21-10. He also led the AL in saves with 13. One of the most versatile pitchers ever. And he won two WS games against the Giants that year. In 1911 he set a WS record by pitching 3 complete games. That one probably won't be broken anytime soon.

He was elected to the HOF IN 1953 but was overshadowed by another Athletic pitcher for nearly all of his career. In 1913 Walter Jonson was 36-7 with a 1.14 era.
Ag Since 83
AG
List of all the Major League Baseball Teams | Baseball-Reference.com

The Giants will join the Cubs this season as the only teams with 100,000 all time runs scored, and the Cards should make it 3 as long as their offense isn't historically bad.

In 2025, the Cubs should become the first team with 200,000 hits.

Also this season, the Rangers will be the first expansion era club with 10,000 home runs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.