BaseballReference.com oddities

43,949 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by McInnis
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yes, Pujols may be one of the last hitters who is an all-time great in both slash lines and counting numbers.

...10 seasons of 100+ runs scored
...14 seasons of 100+ RBI
....8 seasons of 1.000+ OPS

and when Mike Trout's baseball-reference page is pulled up...it's very underwhelming compared to Pujols', because his counting numbers are lacking...and lacking considerably in the last 5 years
agsalaska
AG
I feel like we have already discussed the 1980s St. Louis Cardinals but I couldn't find it.

I turned 8 in 1985 and they are the first baseball team that I can remember. The Cardinals in the '80s were a fascinating team winning three pennants in 82, 85, and 87 and the Series in 82. They were the last dominant pitching/speed/defense team taking advantage of the hard astroturf at Bush Stadium

parenthesis are ranking in NL 12 total teams

1982 they hit 67(12) homeruns, stole 200(1) bases, batted .264(2) and OBP of .334(2)
1985 they hit 87(11) homeruns, stole 314(1)bases, batted .264(1) and OBP of .335(1)
1987 they hit 94(12) homeruns, stole 248(1)bases, batted .263(6) and OBP of .340(1)

Fielding % was .981(1) .983(1) and .982(1)

Pitching ERA was 3.37(3), 3.10(2), and 3.91(5)

There were many crazy stats during this period put up by a lot of great players, but one that sticks out at me is John Tudor in 1985 Tuder was a good pitcher and had a successful career going 117-72 games in 253 starts over 12 seasons with a 3.12 ERA.

But 1985 was one of the better seasons put up by any pitcher in the last 50 years. He went 21-8 with a 1.93 ERA in 36 starts with 14CG and 10 shutouts. He threw 275 total innings. And somehow, someway, he did not make the all star team.

Last, I do miss this style of baseball.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

The Porkchop Express
AG
I remember Sports Illustrating showcasing how Hal Lanier was trying to rebuild the Cardinals with the Astros in the mid-to-late 80s.

Hatcher and Doran as the burners at the top of the lineup, Glenn Davis as the only true power hitter in the middle of the lineup, etc.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
agsalaska
AG
He was almost successful. He didn't quite have the speed through the entire lineup that the Cardinals had.

Amazing to look at the difference between the two leagues, one thing that is completely lost on the younger generation today. But some teams in the NL were already figuring it out what the A's, Bllue Jays, and Twins were doing.

The 87 Giants, who lost to the Cardinals 4-3 in the NLCS, hit 205 HRs and stole 126 bases compared to the Cardinals 94 and 248.

In 87 the AL averaged 188 HRs against 152 in the NL. But each NL team averaged about 30 more SBs. When you factor in the pitcher batting the difference in game play was pretty significant,
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

The Porkchop Express
AG
Not really oddities, but I happened upon the fact that Albert Pujols has 121 career sacrifice flies, putting him 4th all-time, tied with Hank Aaron. Doubtful he'll get another 7 this year, but if he can get 2 more he'll tie Robin Yount for third. Two very long-time teammates are first and second - Eddie Murray with 128 and Cal Ripken Jr. with 127. Miguel Cabrera is the only other active player with 100, on the money, which is 33rd all time.

Although Pujols is a part-timer playing out the string now, his assault on the all-time records remains noteworthy every time he does basically anything at the plate Consider he's:

Sixth all-time in games played, and will catch and pass Ty Cobb this year. Pujols has 3,209, Cobb has 3,034.

Seventh all-time in at-bats with 12,280. he's 56 behind Eddie Murray, for 6th.

Twelfth all-time in runs scored with 1,890. He's 43 behind Jeter for 11th so won't catch him.

Eleventh all-time in hits at 3,340. Yaz is 9th at 3,419, so that won't happen this year.

Third all-time in total bases with 6,110, and a real shot at passing Stan Musial (6,134) before the end of the year. Hank Aaron is in first on another planet at 6,856.

Fifth in doubles at 680, won't catch Cobb who has 724 for 4th.

Fifth in HR at 686. A-Rod is fourth at 696, but that would take another year to have a chance to get there or to get to 700.

Third in RBI at 2,174. He'd have to play at least half of another season to get to Ruth at 2,214. He's 123 behind Hank Aaron for first all time. Only 5 guys ever have reached 2,000 RBI, and one was Cap Anson who played his entire career in the 1800s where stats were slightly sketchy.

Second all-time in intentional walks with 316. Captain Melonhead is first with 688. The most comically stupid baseball record of all time.

W
AG
unfortunately for Tudor his career year coincided with Dwight Gooden's.

and Doc won the Cy Young in 1985.

the Mets vs. Cardinals rivalry was a good one in the mid-80's
The Porkchop Express
AG
W said:

unfortunately for Tudor his career year coincided with Dwight Gooden's.

and Doc won the Cy Young in 1985.

the Mets vs. Cardinals rivalry was a good one in the mid-80's
86 Mets are like 84 Tigers. Blows your mind that they only went to that one WS - although clearly drugs had a big role in that.

Back when men were men, '85 Mets went 98-64 and missed the playoffs by 3 games. If you're too young to remember Dwight Gooden, that's the year he went 24-4 with a 1.53 ERA and 268 strikeouts, 16 complete games, and 8 shutouts. And he was 20.

Cue the Cocaine is a helluva drug gif. Missed one-third of the 87 season on drug rehab. Hurt his shoulder and only had 17 starts in 1989. Hurt his shoulder again in 1991. tested positive for coke in 1994 and missed the entire 1995 season. When that happened, they took down a mural of him in Times Square and replaced it with one of Charles Oakley. That mural later broke 17 different peoples' noses with its elbows. Gooden's been arrested six times in this life.

Gooden had a record of 100 wins and 46 losses when he was 25 years old. He went 94-66 over the next 10 seasons, never won more than 13 games again after winning 15+ 6 times in his first 7 seasons, and didn't make it to even 200 wins, let alone 300. But he did pitch a nono in 96 and won a second title with the Jankees.

agsalaska
AG
Got a good one tonight. Contemporary

Kenny Loftin.

I did not know that he actually broke in with the Astros in 1991, and was 25 years old by the time he passed rookie status(played at U of Arizona).

He led the AL five straight years in stolen bases and finished his career with 622 steals. He also finished with a .299 Avg and .372 OBP which is really, really good in a 2103 game career. Those are HOF qualifying numbers.

But, the oddity...

In 1996 he stole 75 bases and was thrown out 17 times
in 1997 he stole 27 bases and was thrown out 20 times
in 1998 he stole 54 bases and was thrown out 10 times.

That 1997 number is crazy. I am assuming, since he only played in 122 games that he was hampered by a quad or hamstring or something that season. But still, I have never seen anything like that.

That dude also played in 95 playoff games and never won a WS.

Loved watching Kenny Loftin play.

The Porkchop Express
AG
agsalaska said:

Got a good one tonight. Contemporary

Kenny Loftin.

I did not know that he actually broke in with the Astros in 1991, and was 25 years old by the time he passed rookie status(played at U of Arizona).

He led the AL five straight years in stolen bases and finished his career with 622 steals. He also finished with a .299 Avg and .372 OBP which is really, really good in a 2103 game career. Those are HOF qualifying numbers.

But, the oddity...

In 1996 he stole 75 bases and was thrown out 17 times
in 1997 he stole 27 bases and was thrown out 20 times
in 1998 he stole 54 bases and was thrown out 10 times.

That 1997 number is crazy. I am assuming, since he only played in 122 games that he was hampered by a quad or hamstring or something that season. But still, I have never seen anything like that.

That dude also played in 95 playoff games and never won a WS.

Loved watching Kenny Loftin play.
Get ready to have your mind blown, because Lofton went to Arizona on a basketball scholarship and didn't play on the Wildcats' baseball team until his junior year of college. he had ONE at-bat in college, but an Astros' scout heard about him because the Triple A team was located in Tucson back then, as was U of A. They selected him in the 17th round and he played minor league baseball while still playing basketball for the WIldcats.

_lefraud_
AG
Lofton was also part of Arizona's first final four team where he was teammates of Sean Elliott and Steve Kerr.

Lofton is also one of two guys that have played in both a Final Four game and a World Series. The other is Tim Stoddard. And wouldn't you know it, they actually went to the same high school.

If Harold Baines is in the HoF, Lofton should be in too.
agsalaska
AG
Wow.

I had no idea about his stint at Arizona. That is crazy.

Nitro Power
AG
I don't know if this fits the bill here or not, but interesting none the less. I heard on MLB radio this morning, that the game played last night between the Orioles and Red Sox counts as a 1 game series according to Elias. The oddity...since it is classified as a series, this was the first "series" the Red Sox have won against the AL East this season.
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
The Porkchop Express
AG
Baseball Reference can be a really deep rabbit hole for minor league stats, especially older guys.

A relatively recent one is Billy Hamilton At age 21, he split time between the Reds' High A team in Bakersfield and AA team in Pensacola in 2012.

At Pensacola he had 51 stolen bases in 50 games before being moved up to Bakersfield where he stole 104 bases in 82 games. So combined for the season, that's 155 stolen bases in 132 games.

Because of my baseball card collection back then, I can tell you as well that in 1982, Ron Kittle played 127 games at Triple A for the White Sox and hit 50 HR, drove in 144, and hit .345 with an OPS of 1.194 at age 24.

At age 20, Joe Dimaggio played a 172-game season for the San Francisco Seals in the Double AA PCL league and hit .398 with 270 hits, 48 2B, 18 3B, and 34 HR.

In 1951, Willie Mays started out his 20-year-old season with the Giants Triple A team. Through the first 35 games of the year he was hitting .477 (71 for 149) with an OPS of 1.323 when they went ahead and called him up.
_lefraud_
AG
Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker both made their debut on Sept 9th, 1977.

EDIT: Their first hits came off the same pitcher, and their last hits came of the same pitcher (one season later)

Hits:
- 2365 to 2369

Avg:
- .285 to .276

HR
- 185 to 244

RBI
- 1003 to 1084

SB
- 236 to 143

Runs
- 1231 to 1386

All Star
- 6 to 5

Gold Glove
- 4 to 3

Silver Slugger
- 3 to 4

WAR
- 70 to 75

One has a WS MVP and the other has a ROY. One made the HOF via Veterans committee, the other didn't sniff the HOF.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I was just looking at Rod Carew's page as Joey Gallo is coming up fast on passing him in career strikeouts.

In his first 6 years as a pro, Carew struck had 199 walks and 412 strikeouts. That was from 1967 to 1972. He won two batting titles in there - .332 in 1969 and .318 in 1972.

Starting at age 27 in 1973, he had more walks than strikeouts every single year for the rest of his career. He never struck out more than 62 times in a season. He won 5 more batting titles (he won 6 in 7 years at one point).
From 1973 until his career ended in 1985, he accumulated 819 walks and struck out just 616 times.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Maury Wills died today at 89, and this seems like the best thread to give him a shoutout. He was the active leader in stolen bases from 1966 to 1972 and finished with 586, which is good for 20th all-time, but was 10th all time when he retired.

His best year was 1962 when he was league MVP, leading the league with 10 triples and 104 stolen bases. He only got caught 13 times, had 208 hits. batted .299 and scored 120 runs for the Dodgers.

He led the league in steals six years in a row from 1960 to 1965. nearly reaching 100 again with 94 in 1965. After brief stints with the Pirates and Expos, he returned to LA in the early 1970s and finished 6th in the MVP race at age 38.

His MVP year of 1962, the Dodgers finished with the oddball record of 102-65 as they had to play a 3-game set with the Giants to determine who would win the National League pennant after both teams finished 101-61. It makes me happy to tell you that this playoff was caused by an enormous Dodger collapse.

They were 98-51 and up by 4 games on September 15, then lost 10 of their last 13 regular season games, including 4 straight to end the season to have the tie. Two of those their last five losses were to the Colt 45s in their inaugural season.

The three game playoff started on October 1 with the Giants beating the **** out of Sandy Koufax en route to an 8-0 win. Koufax only made it through one inning and got tagged for a big homer by Willie Mays. LA won the second game 8-7 in walkoff fashion. They fell behind 5-0 through 5-1/2 innings, then scored 7 in the bottom of the sixth. Tied at 7-7 in the bottom of the ninth, Wills walked, got to third on a sacrifice bunt and scored on a line-drive sac fly.

Dodgers blew a 4-2 lead in the top of the ninth in the final game as SF won 6-4. Wills was 4 for 5 in that game with 3 steals.

That three game series to decide the NL pennant featured 7 future Hall of Famers.

Corporal Punishment
AG
Great post. I watched Trammell and Whitaker turn double plays on my Rangers for literally a whole generation. I was really envious that Detroit had these two great anchors on their team. Whitaker was so feared with that short porch in right at old Tiger Stadium. Really wish they'd put him in the HOF.
McInnis
AG
This thread is too good to let die.

I just ran across this one. In 1958 Don Drysdale hit 7 home runs in a span of 24 at bats. Only Willie Mays ever exceeded that. Much more improbable that a pitcher would do that than pitch 58 consecutive scoreless innings as he did in 1968. .

https://www.sbnation.com/secret-base/21222742/don-drysdale-los-angeles-dodgers-home-runs
AggieEP
Great post, count me among those sad that pitchers no longer have (get) to hit. Most of those guys were elite hitters through little league and into high school, and it's a shame that teams essentially forced such specialization that pitchers hitting became a joke.

That's part of the reason why Shohei Ohtani has become one of my favorite players because he's the embodiment of this little league ethos of going out there and striking out the side and then walking to the plate the next inning and hitting a homerun.

We'll never see fun stats like this again about pitchers hitting.
The Porkchop Express
AG
On April 12, 1980 in his first start as an Astro, Nolan Ryan hit his first career home run. It came in his second at-bat and was a three-run blast off Don Sutton. He only came to bat because Sutton had made an error on a bouncer back to the mound off the bat of Alan Ashby on the play before. The Dodgers ultimately won 6-5 in 17 innings. Current Astros manager Dusty Baker hit a homer and went 4 for 8 in the game.

Prior to the game, Ryan had not recorded a single at-bat since October 4, 1972. The American League instituted the DH rule to start the 1973 season, and other than a random pinch running appearance in 1973, Ryan had not been used as anything but a pitcher in more than 7 years.

He had also been a monumentally bad hitter. In 5 years with the Mets, he batted .133 (22 for 165) with exactly 1 extra-base hit, a triple which he hit off of PIttsburgh's Mudcat Grant in a game where he also got the win with 7 shutout innings, striking out 9, improving his record to 8-4 and his ERA to 2.05. The wheels came off the wagon the rest of the way and he wound up 10-14 with a 3.97 ERA and was traded to California, which turned out to be a really dumb-ass thing for the Mets.

Amazingly, he would triple again in 1972 off the great JIm Perry of the Twins in June of 1972 as the Angles beat Minnesota 3-1. What's even crazier is that in his first start with the Angels back in April 1972, Ryan had an RBI single off Perry during a 2-0 complete-game shutout in which he allowed 4 hits, walked 5, and struck out 10. Other than that, he was god-awful as a hitter for the Angels as well, batting .135 13 for 96) with 3 RBI.

His home run came in the third game of the Astros season. No other NL batter had hit 2 yet, so Ryan was technically tied for the NL lead in home runs for a day or so. He wound up hitting .086 for the year, but was surprisingly adept with the bat in the strike-shortened 1981 season, hitting .216 with an OBP of .286.

That turned out to be a definite fluke though. He hit under .100 in 1983 and 198, and had just 5 extra-base hits from April 1980 heading into the 1987 season. He started off the 1987 campaign 0-6 at the plate and 1-3 on the mound - this was the year he went 8-16 but led the NL in ERA and strikeouts.

However, on May 1, he started an away game as the Astros took on the Braves in Atlanta. With a raucous crowd of 8,768 on hand, With the Astros already up 6-0 in the top of the seventh, Nolan batted with Alan Ashby on third and the legendary Bert Pena on first, and destroyed a Charlie Puleo pitch for his second career home run.

So go figure on this. His only 2 career home runs were both three-run jacks. And even though they took place 7 years apart, Alan Ashby was on base for both of them. The Astros won that game 12-3 with 18 hits. Nolan as 1-for-4 with 2 runs scored and 3 RBI. He would only get 3 more hits the entire year and finish the seaon 4 for 65 with 4 RBI.

Corporal Punishment
AG
I saw that home run live on tv. Didn't know it was his first start on an Astro.

It was a Saturday afternoon game as I recall. NBC game of the week maybe? I've searched high and low for a clip of it and found nothing.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

I saw that home run live on tv. Didn't know it was his first start on an Astro.

It was a Saturday afternoon game as I recall. NBC game of the week maybe? I've searched high and low for a clip of it and found nothing.
There's one on Facebook but I don't have Facebook. I was listening on the radio when he hit the second one in 1987 because I remember Milo Hamilton singing "The Astros are coming, tra-la, tra-la" as the stacked on the runs.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Found it. Thank you. Hadn't seen that in over 40 years. My goodness.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

Found it. Thank you. Hadn't seen that in over 40 years. My goodness.
I sent my write-up to my brother who is 3-1/2 years older to me, and he told me that he distinctly remembers our whole family going to Nolan's first game and seeing that home run.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Audio is bad but I think that's Joe Garagiola's voice. Those of us old enough to remember listened to Joe and Tony Kubek call NBC's Saturday Game of the Week…one of the only ways to see games outside your MLB market back then. Getting to see NL teams was a special treat for my brother and I since we lived in an AL market.
McInnis
AG
Quote:

So go figure on this. His only 2 career home runs were both three-run jacks. And even though they took place 7 years apart, Alan Ashby was on base for both of them.
That is such a cool piece of trivia. I remember both of Nolan's homers but I had never heard that. Ashby was involved in a couple of other interesting bits of baseball history as well.

I always thought of him as looking like the ultimate southern California surfer boy (he's from Long Beach). I guess he caught more of Ryan's games than any other catcher but I don't know how to prove that.
agsalaska
AG
Quote:

So go figure on this. His only 2 career home runs were both three-run jacks. And even though they took place 7 years apart, Alan Ashby was on base for both of them.
That's just crazy.
McInnis
AG
Can't let this drop off the first page.

On this date (April 11) in 1917 Babe Ruth, pitching for the Red Sox on opening day, beat the Yankees 10-3. He finished with a record of 24-13 and pitched 35 complete games that year. Pitching that many complete games was a mild oddity back then, it led the AL. Today it seems incredible.

Going forward I wonder if another pitcher will ever pitch 35 complete games in his career? For reference, Justin Verlander has pitched 26 complete games.
agsalaska
AG
No chance. Not in the era of 94mph sliders.

I looked up the leaderboard on baseballreference.com and most were obviously spitball guys. The highest on the list to play in my lifetime(born in 1977) is Gaylord Perry with 303 pitching until 1983.

So Gaylord Perry through 303 CGs in his career, and amazingly through 28 complete games after or including the year he turned 40. That's two more than Verlander has in his career.

I don't really remember him other than his last couple of baseball cards, but Perry was the ultimate 3.00 ERA workhorse. He became a full time starter in 1966 in his 5th season at the age of 27, starting 35 of 36 games. His total starts per season going forward: 35, 37, 38, 39, 41, 37, 40, 41, 37, 37, 32, 34, 37, 32, 32, 23, 32, 30. That's just crazy consistency.

two time Cy Young winner and five time All Star. Never led the league in ERA. Never played in the WS. Hall of Fame.

Not only will you not see the CG numbers, this kind of consistency is now largely a thing of the past.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Joe Sewell (1920-1933) struck out 114 times total in 7,132 career at-bats.
In 1925, he had 686 plate appearances (594 at-bats) and struck out 4 times. He
collected 204 hits , walked 64 times, and hit .336.

Between 1925 and 1929, he played at least 153 games a year (the season was 154 games long) and his strikeout totals were: 4, 6, 7, 9, 4. In 1932, at age 33, he had 576 plate appearances and struck out 3 times. In his final season, he had 606 plate appearances and struck out 4 times again. His career high in strikeouts in a year was 20 in 1922, a season where he hit .299. He had a career batting average of .312, hit 436 doubles, and made the World Series twice, with a 1 strikeout in45 plate appearances.

agsalaska
AG
That is insane.

McInnis
AG
I had heard of Joe Sewell but was amazed to learn this about him. It made me want to do some further digging. Some tidbits from his Wilkepedia page:

He was Ray Chapman's replacement for the Indians after Chapman became the first and only mlb player to be killed in a game. He wasn't called up until Sept. 1, too late to be included on the post season roster. But Brooklyn's manager agreed to a waiver because of the Chapman situation. Can you imagine that happening today? The Indians won the WS that year.

He played football and baseball for Alabama. He coached their baseball team in the '60s and their baseball stadium is named after him.

He has the record for most consecutive games without a strikeout at 115. I wonder what Joey Gallo's personal record for that is? Two?

Considering how seldom he struck out it's surprising that he used a 40 oz. bat. But the most incredible thing is that he used the same bat for his entire career. I'm not sure I believe that but that was reported by the NYT in his obituary. And that was back when the Times cared about getting facts right. It said he seasoned the bat with tobacco juice.

He was voted into the HOF but not until 1977. Fortunately he lived to see it.

And while his numbers speak for themselves, consider that his career in the AL overlapped Walter Johnson's by 8 years. Teams played 22 games against each other then and with the four man rotation it's likely he faced the Big Train, the undisputed strikeout king for over 50 years, in about 40 games total. Not ideal if you're trying to not strikeout.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Thanks for bringing the Walter Johnson info I to the discussion. Was going to go look at who he faced in his career to "debunk" some of his K numbers. Ideally, he would have faced Johnson approximately 5 times per season.

Amazing numbers.
Double Talkin' Jive...
agsalaska
AG
Some other strange oddities about Joe Sewell, who I had never heard of until I read this.

He finished his career with 74 steals and 74 caught stealing. OK. But in 1927 he stole 3 and was caught 18 times. How in the world does that happen?

Other than the amazing K stats, he only led the league three times in any categories.
  • 1924 in doubles (45)
  • 1928 Games (155)
  • 1929 Sacrifices (41)
Thats it. For a hall of famer. Amazing.

He must have been a good fielder because he lead the league several times in Fielding % as a SS.

YokelRidesAgain
AG
McInnis said:

Can't let this drop off the first page.

On this date (April 11) in 1917 Babe Ruth, pitching for the Red Sox on opening day, beat the Yankees 10-3. He finished with a record of 24-13 and pitched 35 complete games that year. Pitching that many complete games was a mild oddity back then, it led the AL. Today it seems incredible.

Going forward I wonder if another pitcher will ever pitch 35 complete games in his career? For reference, Justin Verlander has pitched 26 complete games.

35 complete games is nothing to the record of Will "Whoop-La" White, who set a major league record that will never be broken when he started a ludicrous 75 games for the 1879 Cincinnati Reds. Do you know how many of those starts were complete games? That's right-ALL OF THEM.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.