****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,632,264 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
third coast.. said:

ugh just seeing the rays referred to as smart makes me miss luhnow. i know they were probably a half step behind the stros with the analytics stuff and are poised for a great run

Luckily we have Click now
Post removed:
by user
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
So to be clear, NOTHING came out of the Greinke throwing sesh/talk with Strom?

We should all care about this... a lot.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
A 7 game series WITH Greinke is gonna be a beating. We straight up don't have the arms to compete without him.
Deluxe
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

So to be clear, NOTHING came out of the Greinke throwing sesh/talk with Strom?

We should all care about this... a lot.
Haven't heard any follow up news. I'm waiting to hear something more official before I start freaking out.

My initial thought when I heard Dusty's comments is that the Astros like Urquidy more than Greinke in g3, but he knew that would lead to "why not Greinke" follow up questions... so he just shot him down with some "arm soreness" comments. Could be wrong.
Deluxe
AG
The first 2/6 Ben Reiter podcasts were released this morning. I just listened to the first one. No need to waste your time. Just rehashes stuff we already know.

-Leads off with an interview w Mike Bolsinger and goes in depth into the infamous inning where the Astros knocked him around
-Introduces interviews with Julia Morales/Jeff Luhnow, goes in depth into the 2011-2014 rebuild
-Recaps the 2017 title run
-Gives himself a ton of credit for his Sports Illustrated cover
-Episode then ends with Bolsinger's sob story

If he actually has some new information, hopefully he gets to it soon. I'll post an episode two recap later today.
old ag 2003
AG
I honestly can't even begin to figure out our pitching if we advance, even with Greinke. I havebno clue how we can piece it together without having our poor arms pitch significant innings (and likely get shelled).
Deluxe
AG
old ag 2003 said:

I honestly can't even begin to figure out our pitching if we advance, even with Greinke. I havebno clue how we can piece it together without having our poor arms pitch significant innings (and likely get shelled).
If we're able to advance, it will be tough for us to manage innings in a seven games in seven days series... but it will be for other teams too. Just need guys to step up.
Post removed:
by user
Beat40
I think if I have any desire to listen to the podcast will be if he talks about MLB's investigation. If he has any insight into how that played out, that could be interesting.
Deluxe
AG
Agreed... I'll let you know if he does. Halfway through the second pod right now and don't think he's getting to it in this one.
Mathguy64
AG
third coast.. said:

i honestly didnt pay attention to any sports this year prior to being relegated to japanese prison. Are ALL post season series played with no days off? All to fit it in to the normal postseason timeframe?

They are all in bubbles and yeah, no off days anywhere.
Post removed:
by user
old ag 2003
AG
third coast.. said:

yea i caught the bubbles thing and that this series and the previous one were no days off, saw someone mention the next 7 game AL/NLCS were no days off, but didnt know if they were taking that to the WS. i guess the best way to handle it is to make quick work of your opponents to get thes guys some rest. seems like a good way to get a pitcher hurt though.

I thought the same thing when they announced it. Especially since there have already been so many injuries to date.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Has Greinke ever come into a game from the pen?
Deluxe
AG
Deluxe said:

The first 2/6 Ben Reiter podcasts were released this morning. I just listened to the first one. No need to waste your time. Just rehashes stuff we already know.

-Leads off with an interview w Mike Bolsinger and goes in depth into the infamous inning where the Astros knocked him around
-Introduces interviews with Julia Morales/Jeff Luhnow, goes in depth into the 2011-2014 rebuild

If he actually has some new information, hopefully he gets to it soon. I'll post an episode two recap later today.
Second one is mostly a waste too.

-Starts off with former 3B coach Dave Trembley complaining about Luhnow bringing a "Wall Street" like culture to the Astros, treating players like numbers instead of "caring" about them... blah blah blah
-Recap of how Astros came to Houston originally, Astrodome and, of course, connects Astros to Enron
-Discuses Crane buying team, hiring Luhnow and changes Luhnow introduced (shift, player development, technology/data)
-2014 Cardinals hacking recap

The only nugget of info that I found even remotely interesting is some background into the hiring of Tom Koch-Weser before the 2014 season from the Mariners. Supposedly he told Trembley when he got to Houston that the Mariners had all the Astros signs in 2013. And sounds like the Astros didn't know using cameras to steal signs was a thing at the time.
Farmer1906
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Has Greinke ever come into a game from the pen?
41 times in the regular season. But that is because he was a reliever in 06/07.

He hasn't done it since including the postseason.

Ag_07
AG
Honestly I didn't think it was possible to navigate our pitching through a 5 GM series but so far we've managed to piece it together pretty flawlessly WITHOUT Greinke.

One thing gives me a lot of comfort and that's Click. We know how TB gets creative with their pitching and it's obvious already that influence is rubbing off here.

I think we can manage to win one of the next 3 without Greinke and then he comes back fully rested. If he can't come back then look for some creative mixing and matching. Honestly a 7 GM series gives you a bit more wiggle room than a 5 GM series and may actually help us.
Deluxe
AG
I think Click is loving this
Mathguy64
AG
Deluxe said:

He damn well should. How many GMs and managers can get hired and get into the LDS and on the precipice of the LCS their first year all the while not making a single meaningful expensive midseason trade?
Deluxe
AG
Yep. On a staff that lost Cole, Verlander, Smith, Harris and Osuna relative to last year. Incredible.
AggieLit
third coast.. said:

ugh just seeing the rays referred to as smart makes me miss luhnow. i know they were probably a half step behind the stros with the analytics stuff and are poised for a great run

Also gotta credit Click for getting the Rays a young pitching staff that doesn't start having arm problems when the weather turns cool in fall.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Must be nice to just pull up a bunch of prospects to take over for the aces that left.

Credit there goes to Luhnow, the minor league systems he developed, & Strom.

Click is going to have to earn his keep this offseason. So far so good with a cheap Yuli signing. Next, he'll have to address the bullpen and outfield.

But today is not the day for that. Today is the day for ending the As.
agproducer
AG
Deluxe said:

Deluxe said:

-Starts off with former 3B coach Dave Trembley complaining about Luhnow bringing a "Wall Street" like culture to the Astros, treating players like numbers instead of "caring" about them... blah blah blah
-Recap of how Astros came to Houston originally, Astrodome and, of course, connects Astros to Enron
-Discuses Crane buying team, hiring Luhnow and changes Luhnow introduced (shift, player development, technology/data)

The only nugget of info that I found even remotely interesting is some background into the hiring of Tom Koch-Weser before the 2014 season from the Mariners. Supposedly he told Trembley when he got to Houston that the Mariners had all the Astros signs in 2013. And sounds like the Astros didn't know using cameras to steal signs was a thing at the time.
Apparently, Luhnow is supposed to be interviewed in one of the episodes and says,"People have the right to be upset about it. I'm upset about it. There is no place for this in baseball."

I don't know when that drops though.

Meantime, there is already talk he and Hinch are being considered for jobs.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Yep. On a staff that lost Cole, Verlander, Smith, Harris and Osuna relative to last year. Incredible.
Between injuries, trades, and no resigning we lost the following.

Alvarez
Chrinos
Marisknick
Cole
Verlander
Miley
Osuna
Harris
Peacock
McHugh
Smith
Per Fangraphs they combined for a 27.7 WAR
If you take in what Garneau, Raley, and Taylor have added (all three 0.0) plus the what we got from Verlander, Alvarez, and Osuna this year it totals 0.5.

In a full season, we should have been 80-82 which is shockingly similar to what we did at 29-31.

However, I think it's safe to say the replacement level guys we developed close the gap and we're seeing it in the postseason. If we placed a full season with mostly healthy guys (minus JV, Yordan, & Osuna) I would expect to win 90ish.
Billy Baroo
AG
Quote:

Between injuries, trades, and no resigning we lost the following.

Alvarez
Chrinos
Marisknick
Cole
Verlander
Miley
Osuna
Harris
Peacock
McHugh
Smith
Every time I see a list like this, all I can think is how pissed I still am about not winning it all last year with the opportunity we had.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

Must be nice to just pull up a bunch of prospects to take over for the aces that left.

Credit there goes to Luhnow, the minor league systems he developed, & Strom.

Click is going to have to earn his keep this offseason. So far so good with a cheap Yuli signing. Next, he'll have to address the bullpen and outfield.

But today is not the day for that. Today is the day for ending the As.
If your point is that Click and the methods he brought over from Tampa had nothing to do with the rapid development of our young staff, we can just agree to disagree.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Blasphemy I know, but assume we lose today and Greinke is still a no go. You are either forced to pitch Javier on *short* rest or go with Garcia, then pitch lance on short rest in game 5.

Now, assuming we win today and Greinke is a no-go... your 3 for sure starters in a 7 game series are lance, Urquidy, and framber. Do you pencil in Javier and let the first 3 all go on short rest? Not having Javier in the pen would ensure a very weak bullpen. I wouldn't let lance pitch G1 for this reason alone.

Could there be a feasible scenario where we call up yet another rookie starter to pitch an ALCS game? Whitley and hope he catches lightning in a bottle? Surely we won't *plan* for a bullpen game, right?

So much craziness.
agdaddy04
AG
Well he's probably not enjoying being one of the only scapegoats and would like to get a job at some point.
Beat40
Sounds like Lunhow is still trying to play the plausible deniability card.

I really do hope this podcast at least addresses the other concerns from players outside of the organization that it wasn't just the Astros. I think that, combined with the MLB investigation, would make for an interesting podcast or two.
Beat40
All I know is best case scenario is we win today, and I think the offense is going to have to carry us again. We have to get 6 out of Urquidy today. If we do that, I think I feel comfortable with a combination of Raley, Taylor, and James for the 7,8,9 if we have a 1 or 2 run lead.

The big question obviously comes say if we're down 2 or 3 going into the 7th, do you pitch those guys or do you go ahead and put a guy like Sneed in.

I think Raley and James need to get in the game today regardless so they have some live action.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Rocking my close out shirt today

The shoes are staying in the box like Grienke until we need him

Ag_07
AG
I don't know but I do know we need to win today. The other ALDS series is tied at 1-1 so winning today guarantees at least 1 more day of rest over that winner.

Finish off the A's today, let the guys relax in the bubble, have time to figure it out and set it all up for the ALCS.

Buck Compton
AG
agproducer said:

Deluxe said:

Deluxe said:

Apparently, Luhnow is supposed to be interviewed in one of the episodes and says,"People have the right to be upset about it. I'm upset about it. There is no place for this in baseball."

I don't know when that drops though.

Meantime, there is already talk he and Hinch are being considered for jobs.
One, what the hell does he say any of this has to do with Enron, who has naming rights for our stadium two decades ago for like 3-4 years??

Two, the bolder part is going to poss me off more than the media coverage. Hypocritical pieces of *****
EagleAg19
third coast.. said:

i honestly didnt pay attention to any sports this year prior to being relegated to japanese prison. Are ALL post season series played with no days off? All to fit it in to the normal postseason timeframe?

So I just checked the ticket dates on stubhub. LCS is no days off. World Series is 2-3-2 format with 1-day buffers between the breaks.
First Page Last Page
Page 626 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.