****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,602,576 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906
AG
The match up ridiculously close statically.

I give them a tiny edge pitching overall for the season, but if we match up our top vs their top, I think we edge them out. We won't have Bielak, Sneed, Jong, etc bringing down the #s.

Offensively, its a dead heat. The difference is they're without Chapman and we're gotten mostly healthy. We should have a small edge there too. And if we figure it out, then we'll have a big edge.

I haven't seen a line on the series yet, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was even.
Marvin
AG
Here's my outlook: Throw strikes often, hit strikes often. Profit.
astros4545
AG
k20dub said:

Astros get blue collar American fired
astros4545
AG
Astros +115
A's -135

Series price
n_touch
k20dub said:

Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

Astros +115
A's -135

Series price
Seems awfully close for a team that finished 7 games ahead in the division.

For comparison, last year we were -240 over the Rays, -170 over the Yankees, and -220 over the Nats.
bearkatag15
AG

OMG I completely forgot about this Baggy comment... so good
redline248
AG
Beat40
So, I was thinking about our pitching last night and taking a different approach. The goal is wins, right? All we need is 3.

After Bassit, I think we have the starting pitching edge, especially if we get a good version of LMJ.

I know you never want to "concede" a game as that's bad news, but here's my thinking.

Assume Bassit is pitching game 1, why not throw someone like Javier and tandem with Garcia (haven't see if he'll be on the ALDS roster) and have them go as long as he can go. He still gives you a chance to possibly steal it, but you're essentially kind of hoping to win, but less likely.

Then start ZG, Framber, Urquidy, LMJ games 2-4.

The point is to set up the rotation for the starters to have a distinct advantage over the opposing starter.

You're still hoping the offense finds a way to score early regardless of who is pitching for the Astros.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Out pitchers advantage isn't so great that we can afford to do that, and their ace isn't so great that I'd be willing to give them any further advantage

Please don't ever manage the astros.
Beat40
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Out pitchers advantage isn't so great that we can afford to do that, and their ace isn't so great that I'd be willing to give them any further advantage

Hey, thanks for the jab at me.

It's a thought experiment. I didn't say it was the brightest idea ever. I personally just think Framber, Urquidy, and LMJ (when on) are better than Luzardo, Fiers, and Manea.

As someone said earlier, we have to be creative with the bullpen we have, so it's just a thought for discussion. Just thinking outside of the box to try to get 3 wins. Never said we should do it.

Sorry you felt you had to call me an idiot.
bearkatag15
AG
Bassitt also is not good on the road. I know this is technically a neutral site game, but this year it might as well be a road game for both teams.

Mathguy64
AG
It's not a double elimination college pod with 4 teams and 2 really bad ones. No way we pitch backwards.
07ag
AG
Beat40 said:

So, I was thinking about our pitching last night and taking a different approach. The goal is wins, right? All we need is 3.

After Bassit, I think we have the starting pitching edge, especially if we get a good version of LMJ.

I know you never want to "concede" a game as that's bad news, but here's my thinking.

Assume Bassit is pitching game 1, why not throw someone like Javier and tandem with Garcia (haven't see if he'll be on the ALDS roster) and have them go as long as he can go. He still gives you a chance to possibly steal it, but you're essentially kind of hoping to win, but less likely.

The point is to set up the rotation for the starters to have a distinct advantage over the opposing starter.

You're still hoping the offense finds a way to score early regardless of who is pitching for the Astros.
astros4545
AG
I forgot about Garcia

He did pitch a great game against the A's previously
astros4545
AG
This is a great little Marlins-Cubs game on tv now
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Beat40 said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Hey, thanks for the jab at me.

It's a thought experiment. I didn't say it was the brightest idea ever. I personally just think Framber, Urquidy, and LMJ (when on) are better than Luzardo, Fiers, and Manea.

As someone said earlier, we have to be creative with the bullpen we have, so it's just a thought for discussion. Just thinking outside of the box to try to get 3 wins. Never said we should do it.

Sorry you felt you had to call me an idiot.

I'm sorry, You are right. I didn't have to, next time I'll let you be oblivious to the fact.
CFTXAG10
AG
astros4545 said:

Darvish has been pretty good, but story of the game has to be Sixto Sanchez
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Beat40 said:

My issue here is its the playoffs, your goal is to get the best matchups with your starting pitchers, most teams do this by using their top 4 guys, you are proposing not only using all 5 but use the lowest mark on the totem pole first...hard pass.
W
AG
k20dub said:

the A's and Melvin are taking notice.

might see an outbreak...on the green & yellow side...before game 3
Mathguy64
AG
Marlins beating Cubs late 2-0. That would be a hilarious loss for the Cubs.
bearkatag15
AG
Looking at the TV guide trying to see the time slots for the games Monday. Looks like TBS has 2 games listed for the divisional round. 1st at 4:00pm and the 2nd at 7:30pm. I'll just assume Houston vs Oakland gets the early slot.

Actually looking at everyday next week all games will be at those times.
Mathguy64
AG
So the west coast pod plays early and the easy coast pod plays late. Sure.
Cromagnum
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So the west coast pod plays early and the easy coast pod plays late. Sure.
You don't think they will give NYY the prime time spot?

Right now the NLDS is slotted for 2:30pm/8pm starts on FS1
W
AG
astros4545 said:

a team with a $40-50 MM payroll is poised to eliminate a team with a $180-200 MM payroll
Mathguy64
AG
Oh absolutely they will. NYY will get the prime time slot regardless of where they play.
Mathguy64
AG
Cubs batters just staring at those strikes.
Agmaniacmike12
Marlins sweep the Cubs.
Mathguy64
AG
Cubs lose! Cubs lose! Cubs lose!
Mathguy64
AG
6 seeds were salty.
W
AG
the Central divisions were awful
bearkatag15
AG

This is pretty badass. I know its only 2 playoff appearances.
bluefire579
AG
Cromagnum said:

There's a thread on /r/baseball about C.C. Sabathia being butthurt about Correa's comments after the game. The comments on the thread have enough salt to make the Dead Sea look like a freshwater lake. God, I hope we keep winning, if only to keep the tears flowing.
First Page Last Page
Page 591 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.