*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,038,814 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Joc Pederson - with TED in right, he wouldn't have a position here anyway
Mike Fiers - can eat thousands of d*cks
Yasiel Puig - indifferent
Brett Gardner - do not want, mainly because he's basically done
Gary Sanchez - do not want, mainly because he doesn't catch well enough to be a catcher and isn't a good enough hitter to be a DH... glad the Yankees are stuck with him
Cody Bellinger - would take him in a heartbeat and buy a Bellinger Astros jersey
Rat Face - do not want
Marcus Stroman - would take him
redline248
AG
Quote:

We all have players we don't like and don't want on our teams. We don't want to ever root for them. Ever. Joc Pederson is on that list for me. My list:

The Yankees
Fiers
Mathguy64
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

We all have players we don't like and don't want on our teams. We don't want to ever root for them. Ever. Joc Pederson is on that list for me. My list:

The Yankees
Fiers

I'll allow it.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Deluxe said:

Gary Sanchez - do not want, mainly because he doesn't catch well enough to be a catcher and isn't a good enough hitter to be a DH... glad the Yankees are stuck with him
Cody Bellinger - would take him in a heartbeat and buy a Bellinger Astros jersey
Rat Face - do not want

Do you own a Springer, Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez, Correa and Verlander Jersey? Cause if you can make that statement and don't already own those....then no offense but you're an idiot.
Deluxe
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Deluxe said:

Rat Face - do not want

Do you own a Springer, Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez, Correa and Verlander Jersey? Cause if you can make that statement and don't already own those....then no offense but you're an idiot.

Harsh!
redline248
AG
Here are a few painful byproducts of the covid shortened season:

Quote:

The highest-paid player in baseball this season might be a former slugger who has not appeared in a game since July 18, 2016.

Prince Fielder, owed $24 million in the final year of his contract with the Rangers, is to receive his full termination pay under terms of the March agreement between the owners and players regarding a shortened or canceled 2020 season.

lol
Quote:

The Yankees' Jacoby Ellsbury is owed an even larger amount than Fielder in 2020 $26 million, including a $21 million salary and $5 million buyout. But the team sent a letter to the union upon releasing Ellsbury in November 2019, saying it would withhold his remaining guarantee. The club claimed Ellsbury received outside medical attention without the club's permission in violation of his contract. The union filed a grievance on Ellsbury's behalf in December.

Hope Ellsbury wins

...and poor Gerrit Cole
Quote:

Yankees right-hander Gerrit Cole, originally the highest-paid player in '20 at $36 million, would receive slightly more than $18 million in the 82-game season the league intends to propose to the players' union.

https://theathletic.com/1812513/2020/05/13/rosenthal-inactive-players-could-be-the-only-ones-receiving-full-pay-this-year?source=user-shared-article
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Hahaha sorry, can't stand that Cork Sucker, Bellinger
CoachRTM
AG
It would be exciting to see Straw in the starting lineup in the future. I realize he's no Springer or Correa, but having his speed at the plate 3-4 times per game would be fun baseball to watch.
07ag
AG
watching an astros replay from last year at seattle and some of the outfield fan sections only have about 10-15 people in them,, i guess seattle was ready last year for post covid baseball
https://ts.la/eric59704
bearkatag15
AG

Farmer1906
AG
I'm not sure I've heard Snell speak much before that. It completely changes my opinion on him.
Buck Compton
AG
IQ might be sub-50....

"Riskin' my life, bro...."

"If I'm gonna play, I should get the money I signed for"

"and on top of that, it's gettin' taxed. So imagine that."

"I ain't making ****"
the last of the bohemians
They should probably not let Snell speak publicly again.
Bulldog73
AG
Yeah, in that player tournament on Twitch I heard him speak once. This was such a weird and illogical argument. He kept talking about this risking his life as though baseball was playing Russian roulette.
gougler08
AG
I'm not sure a pitcher ever has to be within 6 feet of someone if they don't want to. They don't bat and half the time they sit by themselves in the dugout anyways
CFTXAG10
AG
Blake Snell looks and sounds like that guy from high school who never left your hometown and is constantly looking for employment on a new construction site, but stays home playing video games and mooching off his baby mama in between jobs
Mathguy64
AG
Blake should give back the Cy Young he stole from JV in 2018.

That reminds me of when Patrick Ewing was complaining about revenue sharing and contracts in one of the NBA strike/stoppages. When it was pointed out just how much money he was making his reply was something like "yeah we make a lot of money. But we spend a lot of money too." Just totally disconnected from reality.
astros4545
AG
"And guess what...if I get da Rona...dats gonna be in my body forevah"
Ag_07
AG
At this point doesn't he have the same chance of getting rona as he does taking a line drive to the temple?
n_touch
Ag_07 said:

At this point doesn't he have the same chance of getting rona as he does taking a line drive to the temple?
Only one of them will knock sense into him.
tjack16
AG
If he's "risking his life" .... then no amount of money should be worth that. So his logic is a little flawed
JDUB08AG
AG
36 million unemployed as of this morning. If there is a prolonged battle around compensation, they are going to lose the public perception battle big time.
JYDog90
AG
astros4545 said:

He's confusing the rona with the vd he's got.
Formerly Willy Wonka
bluefire579
AG
gougler08 said:

I'm not sure a pitcher ever has to be within 6 feet of someone if they don't want to. They don't bat and half the time they sit by themselves in the dugout anyways
Mound visits and covering first immediately come to mind. The former can be managed, the latter is an integral part of the game unless you're Jon Lester.
n_touch
Willy Wonka said:

astros4545 said:

He's confusing the rona with the vd he's got.

Farmer1906
AG
A lot has happened since March.

W
AG
WelchAg said:

36 million unemployed as of this morning. If there is a prolonged battle around compensation, they are going to lose the public perception battle big time.
the players' union has been tone deaf for decades. But it's so powerful they can more than likely get away with it.

I suspect a bunch of players share Snell's opinion...especially if they can still credit for a year of service time / contract time despite sitting out
Farmer1906
AG
They're real people, not machines. They're not just here for our entertainment. They have families too. I 100% understand that.

But let's be real. This "rona" is nasty, but it ain't the killer we all thought it was when it hit. Enough information is out there to see the death rate is tiny for the age group of the players. As long as steps are taken and precautions are made to limit cases within baseball, I don't see how players wouldn't want to get back.
W
AG
taking a look at the structure of Snell's contract...explains some of what he said:

2020 ---> $7.5 MM
2021 ---> $11 MM
2022 ---> $13 MM
2023 ---> $16 MM

players with that kind of contract structure are not going to be motivated to play a shortened season. Just sit out and rest for the big paydays coming the following years
W
AG
and you know if there are players that don't want to play...maybe that's okay. Let them take the year off without pay.

there will be no shortage of minor league players that would play an 82-game schedule for 1/2 of the rookie minimum salary. (which I believe is around $560k)

expresswrittenconsent
Players aren't going to let the owners sneak in a salary cap. That will be what mlbpa pushes back on.
n_touch
W said:

taking a look at the structure of Snell's contract...explains some of what he said:

2020 ---> $7.5 MM
2021 ---> $11 MM
2022 ---> $13 MM
2023 ---> $16 MM

players with that kind of contract structure are not going to be motivated to play a shortened season. Just sit out and rest for the big paydays coming the following years
Goes to exaclty what Welch said. There are millions of people that would work for a lot less. Stupid comments like this continue to show how out of touch athletes are with those that cheer them on.
JABQ04
AG
tjholley16 said:

If he's "risking his life" .... then no amount of money should be worth that. So his logic is a little flawed

Well.....you pay me enough and I'll risk mine.

And like everyone else said, JFC. Blake snell sounds like he's a White boy wanna be rapper. Good god. Like someone else said, he should never be allowed to speak in front of other again.
tjack16
AG
JABQ04 said:

tjholley16 said:

Well.....you pay me enough and I'll risk mine.

And like everyone else said, JFC. Blake snell sounds like he's a White boy wanna be rapper. Good god. Like someone else said, he should never be allowed to speak in front of other again.

Yeah but he seems more focused on the money than the "risking his life"

Basically if he was getting his full 7 mil then he'd have no problem playing.

And yeah his public speaking is .... yikes. Wannabe Eminem
Ag_07
AG
Someone should ask Blake Snell that if he's so concerned with playing for what he signed for is he gonna play an extra 1/2 year for free.

Because he signed for 5 years but looks like he'll only be playing 4.5 of it.

So...Yeah...Play what you signed for homie.
First Page Last Page
Page 216 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.