*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,879 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My prediction is we offer George 5 years 125 MIL ... which is worth it IMO.
Or he walks and goes to Boston.

If we resign Springer then we likely lose Brantley and Correa. Which I'm okay with since I think Correa will get a max 10 year type of deal when he leaves ... I'm not usually a fan of those.

Losing Verlander and Greinke's salaries after 2021 will help with budget as well.

We have to figure out how to extend LMJ after next season though
Ag_07
AG
LMJ will be interesting

Do we extend him when he hasn't pitched more than 130 innings in any season?

Talent wise I think he commands an extension but health/durability wise there are concerns. He and his agent will want a contract that reflects his talent and the FO will want a contract that reflects his production.

Lot like Correa in my opinion. Let's see what he does after TJ before going all in on extending him.
redline248
AG
Old school Astros story
Quote:

Back in the 1960s and '70s, the Astrodome's electronic scoreboard was a marvel much like the stadium itself. Stretching 474 feet across the outfield, it exploded with animations of shooting cowboys and snorting bulls as well as clever graphics specific to each opponent.

But during one game in the early years of the dome, the team's general manager used the iconic scoreboard for another purpose: to call out the umpires. It was May 15, 1973 47 years ago Friday when Spec Richardson, in a stunt that would be unimaginable now, had the scoreboard operator display the following words on the message board in right-center field:

"Manager Leo Durocher has announced the game is being played under protest. Umpires Froemming and Donatelli have blown two decisions in the last three days."

Quote:

If anybody doubts that sport brings out the best in men, he must be reassured by the way the recent success of the Houston Astros has illumined (sic) all that is sweetest and most sportsmanlike in Spec Richardson, their general manager," Smith wrote. "In fact, Richardson has exhibited such polished taste and simple dignity that one questions whether he belongs in a sweaty occupation like baseball and wouldn't be better suited to Roller Derby or professional wrestling.
https://theathletic.com/1800153/2020/05/13/the-time-an-astros-gm-ripped-the-umpires-on-the-astrodome-scoreboard/
Marvin
AG
I hate to think of George in another uniform, but I'd rather maintain a competitive and balanced roster (if it's a binary situation). Just go out and find several more Brantleys...easy, right?!

Complicating that decision is the fact that Astros management has an extremely difficult job ahead of them in finding and moving talent into the upper levels of the organization. What talent we have is either already in Houston or far on the horizon. Hopefully Click brought that Tampa farm system magic with him.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ag_07
AG
The Springer decision would be a lot easier if Tucker were to pull his out of his ass and play to the level everyone expects.
Mathguy64
AG
Except Tucker has to replace Reddick.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I just meant just from a numbers standpoint.

If he pans out I feel a lot more confident in being able to find 1 replacement OFer via free agency rather than 2.
n_touch
What happens to Brantley as well? He and Springer are close and both due to be FA at the end of the year.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ag_07 said:

The Springer decision would be a lot easier if Tucker were to pull his out of his ass and play to the level everyone expects.

Straight ball tucker hits very much. Curve ball? Bats afraid
Mathguy64
AG
George will be impossible to replace. When healthy (ok that's a big deal and I get it) he is an MVP level player. I don't mean he's going to win it, but he's in the ring. Take Trout out of the discussion because he skews the discussion. George has the metrics that project over 162 games to be in that discussion.

Yes you will have to overpay because of when he came up and when he's hitting FA. But if you let a player at that level walk you won't replace him. Those players all command that price. So you will pay one way or the other. If you aren't paying him you aren't paying anyone else that either.

This is the price of having that many quality players at that level. You have hard choices. The Yankees will be in the same boat. Even worse I think. Boston was in it but worse from a dead money point of view with bad contracts. We all knew what Lunhow's blueprint was in the Cards model. Who knows what the FNG will gameplan.
W
AG
unfortunately Springer's age is working against him. He turns 31 in September.

if he wants a 5 or 6-year deal...I don't think it will be with the Astros.

infielders are generally more valuable than outfielders...which is why Luhnow locked up Altuve and Bregman first.

not sure if Brantley will be back. But he might if he'll take another 2-year deal
W
AG
it does help that Reddick's $13 MM per year is off the books after 2020
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

And Brantley.

After next year it's pretty much just TED playing all 3 positions. And I don't doubt that he can.
tjack16
AG
losing Springer after 2020 takes us from a WS contender until 2023, to a Wild Card/ALDS team

2020 Free Agents
Springer
Brantley
Reddick
Gurriel
Peacock

2021 Free Agents
Greinke
Verlander
McCullers
Correa
Smith
Osuna
Devenski
Maldonado

I bolded the instant impact guys that will be harder to replace potentially. IMO there are 8 impact players we will be losing, and I think the goal should be retaining 4-5 of them at least. Greinke and Verlander will depend on their production in 2021 since they are getting older.
Farmer1906
AG
It'll be at a fraction of the cost, but maybe we go sign Joc Pederson. Betts, Springer, Brantley, & Ozuna should all command more.
Farmer1906
AG
tjholley16 said:

losing Springer after 2020 takes us from a WS contender until 2023, to a Wild Card/ALDS team

2020 Free Agents
Springer
Brantley
Reddick
Peacock

2021 Free Agents
Greinke
Verlander
McCullers
Correa
Smith
Osuna
Devenski
Maldonado

I bolded the instant impact guys that will be harder to replace potentially. IMO there are 8 impact players we will be losing, and I think the goal should be retaining 4-5 of them at least. Greinke and Verlander will depend on their production in 2021 since they are getting older.
That first statement is a little much.

But losing our OF this year means we really really need to play this season to make another run at the title.

Click is going to have to earn his money after 2020 and 2021 because we have to find so many replacement guys and the farm aint what it used to be. But on the flip slide there should be some money to spend. In 2022 we have Altuve, Bregman, Pressly, and cheap guys under team control (Alvarez, Garneau, Diaz, Straw, Tucker, Valdez, Urquidy, Armenteros, James, Pruitt, Abreu)
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I personally think we resign JV unless he doesn't pitch well this year after his injuries.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It'll be at a fraction of the cost, but maybe we go sign Joc Pederson.
I would sooner stab myself in the nether region with a dull rusty knife while sitting naked on a fire ant mound than root for Joc Pederson.
Farmer1906
AG
If I can just snap my fingers, I do something like this.

Springer 4 year, 106 M (26.5 per)
Verlander 1 year, 25 M with a mutual option for another year (25 per)
McCullers 4 year, 72 M (18 M) - Similar to the Evoldi deal

That jumps out 2022 salary by ~70 M and then you just go cheap and development to fill out the rest of the team.

We wouldn't be the favorite to win it all, but the window would stay open.
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I would sooner stab myself in the nether region with a dull rusty knife while sitting naked on a fire ant mound than root for Joc Pederson.
Well, yeah, but if its Joc or Toro I'll take the guy who can hit 30 jacks.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

mathguy86 said:

And Brantley.

After next year it's pretty much just TED playing all 3 positions. And I don't doubt that he can.
Yea. I'm stunned we haven't tried six infielders with TED manning the outfield solo. Our front office used to be on the cutting edge of baseball strategic innovation. Not anymore I guess.
Ag_07
AG
I mean we're gonna have to resign some of these guys. With Reddick, Springer, Brantley, Yuli all hitting the open market after this year it's gonna be a simple numbers game.

Resign some or find free agents but we're gonna need bodies.
07ag
AG
how about re-sign brantley for another 2/32, straw in center, tucker in right
https://ts.la/eric59704
Farmer1906
AG
I think he's going to command something more like 3 year 60 M.
W
AG
it will be interesting to see how long the A's can keep the Semien-Chapman-Olson trio together.

Semien is a free agent after 2020.

however Chapman and Olson aren't FA's until after 2023, but might be traded the year before

Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I think he's going to command something more like 3 year 60 M.
I'll be interested to see what he gets. He'll be 33 this year, so 34 when he starts his new contract. At this point in his career, he's probably mostly limited to LF and DH.

I think part of the reason we were able to get him at 2/$32mm is because he had two very injury plagued seasons in 16-17 and had some durability question marks. With that said, he seems very committed to his fitness and has a super professional approach to the game. I'll be surprised if he doesn't age well.

My instinct says he'll get another two year deal but I suppose it's possible he gets a third year. Probably not from us though. And definitely not us if we retain Springer. I do like the idea of retaining him if Springer leaves though and going with the aforementioned OF of Brantley-Straw-TED.
Farmer1906
AG
But Straw is going to replace CC at SS so we'll need another OF anyway.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Pedro Leon!
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We could try to sign a 3B after 2021 and move Bregman to SS. I wish Diaz was younger so he could be a good bridge option at 3B from 22-23
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

mathguy86 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Since it's May and still the offseason, we might as well have a little fun with this.

We all have players we don't like and don't want on our teams. We don't want to ever root for them. Ever. Joc Pederson is on that list for me. My list:

Joc Pederson
Mike Fiers (if that's not a unanimous selection turn your team card in now. The Arlington thread is where you belong)
Yasiel Puig
Brett Gardner
Gary Sanchez
Cody Bellinger
Rat Face
Marcus Stroman (his offseason verbal vomit punched his ticket)

Deluxe
AG
I think we're fine at SS long term if Correa leaves. Diaz is startable and controllable for a few more years. Some of our best young offensive prospects play SS too (Freudis Nova and Jeremy Pena specifically).
tjack16
AG
mathguy86 said:

Farmer1906 said:

mathguy86 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Since it's May and still the offseason, we might as well have a little fun with this.

We all have players we don't like and don't want on our teams. We don't want to ever root for them. Ever. Joc Pederson is on that list for me. My list:

Joc Pederson
Mike Fiers (if that's not a unanimous selection turn your team card in now. The Arlington thread is where you belong)
Yasiel Puig
Brett Gardner
Gary Sanchez
Cody Bellinger
Rat Face

I would add Bauer to that list. I know People on this thread like him but he has TRASHED our organization vocally for years and has declined over the past 2 seasons
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

Farmer1906 said:

mathguy86 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Joc Pederson
Yasiel Puig
Brett Gardner
Gary Sanchez
Cody Bellinger
Rat Face

I still love me some Stroman. He just seems like a good fun loving dude.

Mathguy64
AG
Bauer is mostly trolling. I'm convinced he's just doing it to get a rise and takes it pretty well too.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

I wish Diaz was younger didn't have hamstrings made of jello so he could be a good bridge option at 3B from 22-23

FIFY
First Page Last Page
Page 215 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.