*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,806 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
halibut sinclair said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/red-sox-manager-alex-cora-s-firing-houston-astros-punishment-ncna1116011

Translation: Cora and or Beltran has indicated they have info on the Yankees.
Wabs
AG
aTm2004 said:

halibut sinclair said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/red-sox-manager-alex-cora-s-firing-houston-astros-punishment-ncna1116011

Then burn the mother down!
BullSprig07
AG
Wabs said:

aTm2004 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Then burn the mother down!

Please burn it, That's all I have left to live for!
MAROON
AG
03_Aggie said:

Deluxe said:

Maybe you're right. My inclination is that he's done as a GM. Not worth the distraction. But in a few years maybe this all dies down and he gets another crack.

If he does want back in to baseball, I think it's more likely he'll be brought on as a special adviser. Obviously there will be a huge uproar if that team is a threat to the Yankees, but no one will care if it's the Yankees themselves.

He may be done. Just wouldn't shock me if he isn't and that would be the most likely public justification used. I also don't believe this is a big of deal amongst the MLB clubs and is more driven by internet outrage. It was a move to appease the fans and I think it backfired.

"Fiers told the Atlantic" is what keeps hitting the wire and drove this insanity. Fiers also told Detroit and Oakland when he arrived at each place. Nary a mention of that or any investigation as to what they did once they were notified. Did they ignore it? Did they notify MLB? Did they take the info and try implement their own version?
I'm fairly certain Lunhow will either start a consulting firm that works with many leagues, or you might see him take over another team - maybe a Premiership league team. He is in no way done in sports - maybe as GM for a while in MLB.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
wangus12
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Let me interrupt this cheating scandal to say HBD, TED. Long live out RF for the next decade.

Looks like he was wearing a wire on that right shoulder.
amercer
AG
Weird stat I just found (while texting back a Yankees fan who's giving me ****): Altuve hit 70 points better on the road in 2016, 2017, and 2018. In 2019 his splits were about the same
Mr.Ackar07
https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/01/carlos-beltran-didnt-live-up-to-hero-roberto-clementes-values-and-itll-cost-him-my-hall-of-fame-vote.html

Quote:

A case can made though that Beltran deserves to join Clemente in the National Baseball Hall of Fame when he becomes eligible in 2023.

To be honest, I viewed Beltran as a borderline Hall of Famer when he retired in 2017 after being part of the Astros' championship.

Not anymore.

I've been a Hall of Fame voter since 2007, and throughout all my years casting ballots, I've never voted for any players that I believed to be proven cheaters. Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa and Manny Ramirez never received a vote from me because of their links to steroids, and they never will. The same will go for Alex Rodriguez when he's on the ballot.

As of this week, I've already decided that I'll never vote for Beltran, the only Astros player named by commissioner Rob Manfred in his sign-stealing findings, which led to the end of Beltran's short-lived managerial career before it even started.
aTm2004
AG
07ag
AG
MAROON said:

03_Aggie said:

Deluxe said:

Maybe you're right. My inclination is that he's done as a GM. Not worth the distraction. But in a few years maybe this all dies down and he gets another crack.

If he does want back in to baseball, I think it's more likely he'll be brought on as a special adviser. Obviously there will be a huge uproar if that team is a threat to the Yankees, but no one will care if it's the Yankees themselves.

He may be done. Just wouldn't shock me if he isn't and that would be the most likely public justification used. I also don't believe this is a big of deal amongst the MLB clubs and is more driven by internet outrage. It was a move to appease the fans and I think it backfired.

"Fiers told the Atlantic" is what keeps hitting the wire and drove this insanity. Fiers also told Detroit and Oakland when he arrived at each place. Nary a mention of that or any investigation as to what they did once they were notified. Did they ignore it? Did they notify MLB? Did they take the info and try implement their own version?
I'm fairly certain Lunhow will either start a consulting firm that works with many leagues, or you might see him take over another team - maybe a Premiership league team. He is in no way done in sports - maybe as GM for a while in MLB.
hopefully he can take over the texans
https://ts.la/eric59704
the last of the bohemians
Now there is rumor that Washington nationals are 1 of the 8 teams, hahaha.
wangus12
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

You can probably easily list the 8. Astros, Red Sox, Nationals, Royals, Cubs, Giants, Cardinals, Phillies.

Oh look, the last 8 teams to win the World Series not named the Yankees
03_Aggie

n_touch
So who gets the trophy then?

In all seriousness if they did it and the Astros were doing it in the WS it just goes to to show that it is a distraction to the hitters and not something that is really helpful since the home teams each sucked it up.
03_Aggie
n_touch said:

So who gets the trophy then?

We're going to end up trading 2017 for 2018 & 19. Hell of a play there.
Satellite of Love

That is a non-story because they didn't knock the Yankees out of the playoffs.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
MAROON
AG
07ag said:

MAROON said:

03_Aggie said:

Deluxe said:

hopefully he can take over the texans
Yep if Tommy Boy (Cal) had any smarts Lunhow would already be setting up his system on Kirby Drive..
Wabs
AG

got a link for this? Would love to shove it in someone's face.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2855354-you-cant-trust-nobody-inside-mlbs-war-on-high-tech-sign-stealing
It's in this link, essentially this whole thing will eventually be equal to all teams had roiders
bearkatag15
AG

Aroldis Chapman doesn't have great self awareness...
bearkatag15
AG

All 27 championships are now tainted...
That link from Bleacher is old but it was referenced from Houston channel 2 article yesterday, so those teams will probably all get swept up into this . The Colorado manager admitted to digital thieves being widespread.
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6186829

Quote:

The Story Behind the Shot Heard Round the World

On Oct. 3, 1951, one of Major League Baseball's greatest moments took place. In the bottom of the 9th inning, the New York Giants beat the Brooklyn Dodgers 5-4, winning the National League Pennant. Batter Bobby Thomson's three-run homer became legendary. Deborah Amos talks to writer Joshua Prager, who reveals that the Giants had an unusual home-field advantage.

...But for years there's been a mystery about the game. Did the pennant winners, the Giants, cheat?
Joshua Prager has written a book about the game. It expands on a front-page story Prager broke in The Wall Street Journal five years ago. In it, he solved the mystery about what happened 55 years ago today at the Giants' home field near the Harlem River.

Mr. JOSHUA PRAGER (Author, The Echoing Green): There was a clubhouse in centerfield at The Polo Grounds that looked out directly onto the field. And the Giants set a coach - Herman Franks, who had been the third base coach -they positioned him in the fourth window there, and they gave him a telescope. And he peered through that window with this telescope at the finger signals of the opposing catchers. And once he had sussed(ph) out the sign, he pressed the button. And that button buzzed a buzzer in the right field bullpen, where the Giant pitchers were warming up.

One buzz was a fastball. Two buzzes was an off-speed pitch. And it was there that a backup catcher - generally, Sal Yvars - relayed the sign to the batter. So pretty much, it went spying the sign, relaying the signal and then relaying it by a hand signal to the batter.

AMOS: So they cheated?

Mr. PRAGER: Yes, they did. Baseball has a sort of strange relationship with the stealing of signs. When you're standing on second base and you're peering in and stealing the sign with the naked eye, baseball not only allows that, it applauds that. But when, on the other hand, you use a telescope, they don't feel that that's appropriate.
MAROON
AG
Yep - one of the most celebrated plays in the history of baseball, which is played over an over before every World Series game was most probably a result of sign stealing.

Wabs
AG

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2855354-you-cant-trust-nobody-inside-mlbs-war-on-high-tech-sign-stealing
It's in this link, essentially this whole thing will eventually be equal to all teams had roiders
Quote:

"But given assurances of anonymity, several league sources indicate the Astros, Dodgers, Red Sox, New York Yankees and Arizona Diamondbacks have been especially adept with technological surveillance. One source mentions the Cubs and Washington Nationals dabble a bit "but not as much as others."
Ok, my question is that if they initiated this investigation of the Astros based on an allegation by a former (and bitter) player, then when will they investigate the teams above if LEAGUE sources indicated they may be cheating?
SquirrellyDan
AG
And here we go....La Russa was doing it in the 80's

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28503160/jack-mcdowell-says-tony-la-russa-had-sign-stealing-system-white-sox-80s

Quote:

"We had a system in the old Comiskey Park in the late 1980s," McDowell, who coaches at Queens University, told the radio station Friday. "The Gatorade sign out in center had a light; there was a toggle switch in the manager's office and [a] camera zoomed in on the catcher.

"I'm gonna whistle-blow this now because I'm getting tired of this crap. There was that -- Tony La Russa is the one who put it in. ... He's still in the game making half a million, you know? No one is going to go after that. It's just, this stuff is getting old where they target certain guys and let other people off the hook."
iBrad
AG
third coast.. said:

Your over 40 softball league must be really serious.

It's actually a 35+ wood bat baseball league, but this was in college.
bearkatag15
AG
https://theathletic.com/1523975/2020/01/17/jim-bowdens-top-50-prospects-for-2020/

Quote:

Jim Bowden's Top 50 prospects for 2020

Here is my Scouting Grades Key:
ARM: Throwing arm; FLD: Fielding; PWR: Power; HIT: Hitting; RUN: Running
FB: Fastball; SF: Splitter; SLI: Slider; CB: Curveball; CH: Changeup; SC: Screwball; CTL: Control; CMND: Command
Scale is 20-80: 20-30 is well below average, 40 is below average, 50 is average, 60 is above average and 70-80 is well above average.
Quote:

20. Forrest Whitley, RHP, Houston Astros
Scouting Grades:
FB: 70 CB: 60 SLI: 60 CH: 65 CTL: 45 CMND: 40

2019 Stats (Rk/A+/AA/AAA):

W-L: 3-7 ERA: 7.99 IP: 59.2 H: 59 BB: 44 SO: 86
Whitley has an overpowering high-90s fastball with heavy sink and three above-average secondary pitches in his curveball, slider and changeup. He had a poor regular season last year due to mechanical issues, but those were corrected in time for the Arizona Fall League, where for the second straight year he dominated. He profiles as having the potential of a No. 1-type starter.

Jeff Luhnow, Former GM, Astros:
"Forrest continues to demonstrate elite stuff, and it's been two years straight where he has shown what he's capable of in the AFL. We expect him to compete for a rotation spot this year and reach the big leagues this year, too. He has the stuff and body to be a frontline starter."
PhatMack19
AG

wangus12
AG
Lol the front page of ESPN's website is how the internet caught the Astros cheating. Not the former player going to the press
Satellite of Love
Yankees media gushing over whether other players, fans or MLB teams should be allowed to sue over this most heinous scandal.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Wabs
AG
Satellite of Love said:

Yankees media gushing over whether other players, fans or MLB teams should be allowed to sue over this most heinous scandal.
Holier than thou Yankee fans. A team that won MULTIPLE championships with MULTIPLE cheater steroid users. By I guess not all cheating is the same....riiiiiiight.......
. . .
Buck Compton
AG
. . . said:

And there goes the shark we just jumped over.

These mother ****ers aren't wasting enough time in other areas, now they want to get involved in baseball again?!?! Are they really worried about integrity?!?!

Best part.... This blowhard made it about the children. Won't somebody think of the children in all this???
W
AG
Jack McDowell is a Stanford alum. Coming to A.J.'s defense. Good for him.

there will be other former Cardinals too
Texaggie7nine
Happy Birthday Jim Crane
7nine
First Page Last Page
Page 95 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.