*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,040,124 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Post removed:
by user
BullSprig07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

John Granato on ESPN 97.5 said he heard from someone close to the team that Springer is good with signing an extension this spring, he said they will get it done in the spring.

That was such a weird segment. He started by telling Lance he had been saying for years that George wanted to leave and almost in the same breath said he received a text saying otherwise. Weird
Beat40
third coast.. said:

Deluxe said:

I had forgotten that Beltran gave Yuli a "tip" in June that totally turned his season around...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/amp/Astros-insider-How-Carlos-Beltran-helped-to-14068517.php

I got bashed on this board when I asked how something as pedestrian as opening both eyes would have such a profound effect on a major leaguer

Well, what could have Carlos done from NY to Yuli that would have had him get better that would be part of a cheating scheme?
aTm2004
AG
The best part is people are still running with it after his wife posted video of him removing a shiny gold piece of confetti from the same spot and leaving the necklace. Yankee and Dodger fans are bigger morons than I ever imagined.
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
Grunted loudly so he'd know which pitch the Yankees were throwing to him.
Post removed:
by user
Texaggie7nine
Water Turkey07 said:

bearkatag15 said:

John Granato on ESPN 97.5 said he heard from someone close to the team that Springer is good with signing an extension this spring, he said they will get it done in the spring.

That was such a weird segment. He started by telling Lance he had been saying for years that George wanted to leave and almost in the same breath said he received a text saying otherwise. Weird

If it was the case that Springer wanted to move on to another team, I can definitely see how current events could change that.
7nine
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I kinda wonder if some of our players (especially main position players) are married to the Astros now. Would they be seen as damaged goods on the open market? Would other teams want to risk integrating them into their clubhouses?

It's kinda hard to tell at the moment because the only player opinions we've really heard are the ones who already had bones to pick with us (Wood, Bauer, Clev, CC, etc). If their opinions are representative of how most players feel, guys like Springer/Correa may not want to risk free agency. But it's also possible their opinions are being magnified right now by Yankee media that wants to rub this in the Astros face, meaning that most players either 1) don't care or 2) understand that cheating is epidemic in baseball. If that's the case, maybe Springer/Correa would be ok testing free agency.

Either way, if I'm George right now and the Astros put a 5 year, $130mm extension in front of me, I'd be more inclined to take it than I would have been 3 months ago.
Beat40
Alright gents, circle Mar30-Apr1 on your calendars. Second series of the year and against the A's. Based on the timing, Fiers should pitch. That will be a series to watch, methinks.
iBrad
AG
third coast.. said:

Deluxe said:

I had forgotten that Beltran gave Yuli a "tip" in June that totally turned his season around...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/amp/Astros-insider-How-Carlos-Beltran-helped-to-14068517.php

I got bashed on this board when I asked how something as pedestrian as opening both eyes would have such a profound effect on a major leaguer

You laugh, but that is a real issue. It happened to me. Typically, you don't get your head turned towards the pitcher enough and the bridge of your nose blocks all or some of your back eye. A lot of times, this happens on load. You don't even realize it until going through your motion with your front eye closed. You then see that your back eye is just staring at the inside of your nose.

For me, I had to make a conscious effort to get my right on the ball through the load process and not let my head turn in. It is amazing what a difference it makes with both eyes clearly seeing the ball all the way in.
BullSprig07
AG
Beat40 said:

Alright gents, circle Mar30-Apr1 on your calendars. Second series of the year and against the A's. Based on the timing, Fiers should pitch. That will be a series to watch, methinks.

I'm thinking I won't be attending those games with my son. I have a feeling that the verbage spewed from my mouth that night toward that asshat will be less than ideal for my boy to hear.
Post removed:
by user
Texaggie7nine
The few players that are speaking out negatively about the Astros are mainly addressing the trashcan thing or even the BS buzzer thing. While I don't buy the buzzer one bit, I do think that the trashcan thing may put the Astros above and beyond the cheating of other teams. i don't think any other teams went so far as to tip off batters with no runners on base with real time info while most of them probably used technology in some way to decipher signs and relay them to players to use while on base.

I don't think they used the trash can all that often (you would think people would pick up on it pretty quick if they were doing it every home game) and I really don't think it affected the outcome of any games but I can see being a player on another team and being pissed about it, especially if it was the team that won the WS. I can imagine that the big role players from the 2017 team are likely to be not warmly welcomed into other clubhouses for the next few years.
7nine
Deluxe
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

The few players that are speaking out negatively about the Astros are mainly addressing the trashcan thing or even the BS buzzer thing. While I don't buy the buzzer one bit, I do think that the trashcan thing may put the Astros above and beyond the cheating of other teams. i don't think any other teams went so far as to tip off batters with no runners on base with real time info while most of them probably used technology in some way to decipher signs and relay them to players to use while on base.

I don't think they used the trash can all that often (you would think people would pick up on it pretty quick if they were doing it every home game) and I really don't think it affected the outcome of any games but I can see being a player on another team and being pissed about it, especially if it was the team that won the WS. I can imagine that the big role players from the 2017 team are likely to be not warmly welcomed into other clubhouses for the next few years.
Agreed. Might allow us to extend Springer, Correa and maybe Yuli for much cheaper than we thought. Almost like it was part of the grand plan...
Ag_07
AG
If it's as widespread as has been indicated not many clubhouses can really chastise these guys.
dshedd41
S
third coast.. said:

Shirtgate with altuve has to be the biggest crock of **** to come out if this whole thing.
Seriously. MLB has already said that the didn't find the "buzzer."
Gig’em Aggies!
ClickClack
AG
So, Clevinger is a punkass *****. Spreadsheet updated.
Beat40
dshedd41 said:

third coast.. said:

Shirtgate with altuve has to be the biggest crock of **** to come out if this whole thing.
Seriously. MLB has already said that the didn't find the "buzzer."

What they don't know is we had an inside guy with the jersey manufacturer to weave the buzzer into the fabric. This goes so much deeper than you know.
k20dub
AG
ClickClack said:

It's been that way for a while. He's actually first on the spreadsheet.
Ag_07
AG
We broke CLE in 2018.

They've obviously hit some road bumps in coping with that.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
newsjunkie
Quote:

I've hated that looks-like-Jay-from-Jay-and-Silent-Bob ******* ever since that interview where he whined about us.

And can't MLB do something about his threatening to bean our players?

Oh, and now Tyler Baurer has added his 2 cents...but for some reason he didn't mention pine tar
Be to her virtures very kind; be to her faults a little blind. Lord Byron
03_Aggie
Deluxe said:

I kinda wonder if some of our players (especially main position players) are married to the Astros now. Would they be seen as damaged goods on the open market? Would other teams want to risk integrating them into their clubhouses?

It's kinda hard to tell at the moment because the only player opinions we've really heard are the ones who already had bones to pick with us (Wood, Bauer, Clev, CC, etc). If their opinions are representative of how most players feel, guys like Springer/Correa may not want to risk free agency. But it's also possible their opinions are being magnified right now by Yankee media that wants to rub this in the Astros face, meaning that most players either 1) don't care or 2) understand that cheating is epidemic in baseball. If that's the case, maybe Springer/Correa would be ok testing free agency.

Either way, if I'm George right now and the Astros put a 5 year, $130mm extension in front of me, I'd be more inclined to take it than I would have been 3 months ago.

A's aren't cutting Fiers, Twins aren't letting go of Marwin, and the Yankees sure as hell aren't pushing Cole out.

The narrative will change for these guys when they hit the market. "Actions in the past" "learned their lesson" "wouldn't repeat it" will be key phrases used to justify their decision.

Especially when it comes to Luhnow. The report actually refers to him as a once in a generation GM. He will be scooped up by a team that wants to win and that club and their fans will be ecstatic.
Teddy Perkins
AG
The MLB went through over 76,000 emails and thoroughly investigated wearable devices and did not find anything. The internet dweebs are grasping at straws speculating about Altuve not wanting his shirt ripped off and confetti stuck on Reddick. I really needed the Mean Girls recap video last night to help me not get over being pissed at every incorrect internet poster yesterday. But, we'll see what new bogus theories come out today. Can't wait until the season finally starts up and there's more to talk about than the Astros scandal.
Deluxe
AG
03_Aggie said:

A's aren't cutting Fiers, Twins aren't letting go of Marwin, and the Yankees sure as hell aren't pushing Cole out.

The narrative will change for these guys when they hit the market. "Actions in the past" "learned their lesson" "wouldn't repeat it" will be key phrases used to justify their decision.

Especially when it comes to Luhnow. The report actually refers to him as a once in a generation GM. He will be scooped up by a team that wants to win and that club and their fans will be ecstatic.
Your takeaway from commissioner report's comments about Luhnow that he's a once in a generation GM and other teams will be eager to pick him up?
03_Aggie
My takeaway was that "lack of institutional control" is what they tagged him with. Something that will be explained away with "he learned a lesson and will be more diligent this time around" by a team that wants him Because of his ability to put together competitive teams.
themissinglink
AG
Just burn it all down and let's go back to winning titles the old fashioned way... Buying them

JYDog90
AG
Annnnd...

Beltran is out.
BMX Bandit
willie wonka said:

Annnnd...

Beltran is out.
how was your nap?
JYDog90
AG
BMX Bandit said:

willie wonka said:

Annnnd...

Beltran is out.
how was your nap?
Evidently it was good...and 22 hours long!
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
If Tyler White not Fires was the Rat this board would riot
Deluxe
AG
Maybe you're right. My inclination is that he's done as a GM. Not worth the distraction. But in a few years maybe this all dies down and he gets another crack.

If he does want back in to baseball, I think it's more likely he'll be brought on as a special adviser. Obviously there will be a huge uproar if that team is a threat to the Yankees, but no one will care if it's the Yankees themselves.
tjack16
AG
it just sucks that our team was stealing signs all this time and nobody bothered to let Tyler White in on it
Beat40
Deluxe said:

Maybe you're right. My inclination is that he's done as a GM. Not worth the distraction. But in a few years maybe this all dies down and he gets another crack.

If he does want back in to baseball, I think it's more likely he'll be brought on as a special adviser. Obviously there will be a huge uproar if that team is a threat to the Yankees, but no one will care if it's the Yankees themselves.
I don't think he's done. There is enough plausible deniability in the commissioner's report regarding Lunhow.

The only issue is that hiring him directly after his suspension will put a lot of eyes on that organization, which they have to be willing to put up with.

I do think in a few years he'll be back in the MLB. I think it's going to be some team like the Mariners, White Sox, or maybe even Philly that will take a chance on him.
First Page Last Page
Page 93 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.