*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,831 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Gibbons, who attended high school in San Antonio, had two separate stints as the Toronto Blue Jays' skipper, accruing 793 wins in 11 seasons. He managed current Astros players Aledmys Diaz, Joe Biagini and Roberto Osuna with the Blue Jays.

"I didn't have any major league experience before getting to Toronto, and he was the manager, but all of my teammates really liked him when I asked about him," Biagini said Thursday. "They would say he's a players' manager. He really cares about the players. They would say that he's not all over you, that he gives you your space and lets you do your thing. But when it's an important time to kind of insert himself, he knows when to do it.
"I really enjoyed playing for him. He seemed to kind of inspire the guys to want to work hard for each other and for him."
Quote:

Former Rangers manager Jeff Banister a University of Houston product remains a logical candidate, as does current Astros bench coach Joe Espada. The Chicago Sun Times reported Thursday that Cubs third-base coach Will Venable will interview on Friday.

Espada's candidacy could be tainted by his presence on the 2018 Houston coaching staff. Major League Baseball's investigation discovered that the Astros stole signs electronically during parts of the 2017 and 2018 seasons.
03_Aggie
Deluxe said:

Maybe you're right. My inclination is that he's done as a GM. Not worth the distraction. But in a few years maybe this all dies down and he gets another crack.

If he does want back in to baseball, I think it's more likely he'll be brought on as a special adviser. Obviously there will be a huge uproar if that team is a threat to the Yankees, but no one will care if it's the Yankees themselves.

He may be done. Just wouldn't shock me if he isn't and that would be the most likely public justification used. I also don't believe this is a big of deal amongst the MLB clubs and is more driven by internet outrage. It was a move to appease the fans and I think it backfired.

"Fiers told the Atlantic" is what keeps hitting the wire and drove this insanity. Fiers also told Detroit and Oakland when he arrived at each place. Nary a mention of that or any investigation as to what they did once they were notified. Did they ignore it? Did they notify MLB? Did they take the info and try implement their own version?
tjack16
AG
on a different topic.

what is the pitching situation behind Verlander, Greinke and LMJ? I'm guessing Urquidy will be in there but haven't heard much else about the 4/5 spot
bearkatag15
AG
tjholley16 said:

on a different topic.

what is the pitching situation behind Verlander, Greinke and LMJ? I'm guessing Urquidy will be in there but haven't heard much else about the 4/5 spot
If they don't sign someone then I'd expect that its Peacock or a AAAA pitcher until Whitley is ready to be called up.
bearkatag15
AG

Now they are coming out of the woodwork. Burn it to the ground
Wabs
AG
Burn this mother ****er to the ground!
bearkatag15
AG
Here is the audio

the last of the bohemians
this Astros team needs to set mlb offense records and that will ultimately be what vindicates them.
Prove that you are great hitters without assistance, whether allegations are true or not.
Then we will see that the roider era had a much bigger impact and an actual impact on games.
agproducer
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Here is the audio

Blackjack DGAF!
Nino Brown
gambochaman said:

I love that people are now accusing Reddick of wearing a device....you mean the guy that batted like 1 for 100 in the post season in 2017? that guy?
Well, you don't see us posting evidence or questions about the Yankees cheating do you? So, mission accomplished by these people so far.
Wabs
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Here is the audio

Blackjack says this has been going on forever and he has no idea why it's such a big deal now.

I can tell you - BECAUSE THE ASTROS BEAT THE YANKEES.
Farmer1906
AG
Let me interrupt this cheating scandal to say HBD, TED. Long live out RF for the next decade.

n_touch
Forgiven_Ag said:

If Tyler White not Fires was the Rat this board would riot
No way that Tyler White was receiving signs or even knew this was going on, didn't you see his at bats?
agproducer
AG
Wabs said:

I can tell you - BECAUSE THE ASTROS BEAT THE YANKEES.
Knocked 'em out of the playoffs... REPEATEDLY.
Texaggie7nine
Ag_07 said:

If it's as widespread as has been indicated not many clubhouses can really chastise these guys.
That's what I'm saying. The using technology to steal signs I think was obviously wide spread. Using a trashcan or audio cues to tip off batters with no players on base I think was probably unique to the Astros or a very small amount of teams. That's where I think other teams are probably pissed at then Astros about.
7nine
Nino Brown
I don't work for the Astro's so I can use technology right? Hey guys, if you see me in right field flash a light with my phone real quick it means off speed. Nothing means fastball. Can't tell you on here what section because I'll be moving around to keep the opponents off. LFG
n_touch
Quote:

That's what I'm saying. The using technology to steal signs I think was obviously wide spread. Using a trashcan or audio cues to tip off batters with no players on base I think was probably unique to the Astros or a very small amount of teams. That's where I think other teams are probably pissed at then Astros about.
This is the biggest part of all of this. They were not even trying to hide it. They were out there sending war drums and smoke signals to the batters. No way that they knew they wouldn't get caught.

This whole thing did not start with the '17 Astros. But they did do something that pissed everyone off.
AustinCountyAg
this has been my biggest gripe since all of this as started. If the Astros really thought what they were doing was soooo terrible you'd think they would've tried to conceal it a little better than making loud banging noises.

themissinglink
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Here is the audio

Can we now claim the 2005 World Series?
Wabs
AG
Any word on when the Red Sox 2018 investigation will conclude?
Texaggie7nine
The scenario that makes the most sense to me is that the using of technology to steal signs, spy on dugouts, ect was wide spread and the fact the everyone was doing it and not getting punished for it before aug of 2017 when they came down on the Redsox, created a culture of "it's an all out war with trying to get as much info from the other team using subterfuge as you can and whatever you can think of is fair game so long as you don't get caught". When the MLB put in the replay cameras and rooms, all the teams were trying to figure out a way to take advantage of it. Every team thinking they have to outsmart the other teams in the best way to use that new source of info.

From the report, it was Cora's idea to move a monitor with a direct feed from the replay room close to the dugout so they don't have to use cell phones or watches to relay info from the replay booth like a lot of other teams were doing. Once that happened, I can see, with that mindset, players start thinking "man with this new information we have at our fingertips, how can we best use it? How can we get the info to the batter even if there is no one on base without having to use technology that can get us busted? What if we use some kind of noise that we could just blow off as normal stadium noise?"...... and it just evolves from there, and at no point does Cora and the players stop to think "are we taking this too far?" They are all in the mindset of the other teams are trying to think of ways to get advantages with that camera feed so we need to have the best system. AJ sees it happening but it pisses him off because he just doesn't think that should be part of baseball, but he also thinks other teams are doing everything they can to get an edge with the replay camera feeds so he makes it known he doesn't like it, but doesn't do anything to make it stop. It just rolls from there, they try out things and figure out the trashcan thing and the rest is history. And now looking back, the players can see how it probably got out of hand and they probably took it further than other teams even thought it was probably because they didn't think of it.
7nine
Beat40
Wabs said:

Any word on when the Red Sox 2018 investigation will conclude?
I know. I'm very anxious to hear the penalties. This whole deal is a powder keg and the Red Sox penalties might just be the thing to set it off.
Deluxe
AG
Beat40
Here's what's frustrating for me. The whole buzzer thing comes out, and MLB says, hey, we investigated, found no evidence, we're moving on.

They couldn't do that with the initial allegations? They change rules for 2019, two years after their memo in 2017, knowing it was a problem well past their memo in 2017. With the way they handled it they obviously knew it was more than a couple of teams. They couldn't just say, hey, we took care of it, we're moving on?
Teddy Perkins
AG
Clevinger going off, NSFW language. Basic gripe is that sign stealing took money and opportunities away from players that got sent down after the Astros dominated them while cheating.

Texaggie7nine
I think it's pretty obvious that MLB felt that Atlantic Article quoting Mike Fiers created a situation that they had to do something to address the Astros.
7nine
Wabs
AG
Beat40 said:

Here's what's frustrating for me. The whole buzzer thing comes out, and MLB says, hey, we investigated, found no evidence, we're moving on.

They couldn't do that with the initial allegations? They change rules for 2019, two years after their memo in 2017, knowing it was a problem well past their memo in 2017. With the way they handled it they obviously knew it was more than a couple of teams. They couldn't just say, hey, we took care of it, we're moving on?

Along those same lines - everyone 100% believes the info in the MLB investigation that came out, but when the MLB says we found no cheating in 2019 (and no buzzer cheating) all of the sudden the MLB is lying and the Astros did cheat in 2019???
Ags #1
AG
He's not that special
Beat40
Teddy Perkins said:

Clevinger going off, NSFW language. Basic gripe is that sign stealing took money and opportunities away from players that got sent down after the Astros dominated them while cheating.
It's funny because in his Twitter tirade, he said he was OK with steroids because he could still strike them out, but steroids did the same thing that he's saying sign stealing did. Steroids took money and opportunities away form players just the same.

It's good to know he's ok with some cheating and not others.

The self righteousness is mind boggling given the history of the sport.
irish pete ag06
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Hey Mike... now show sympathy for all the hitters that got owned by pitchers who juiced or used a foreign substance on the ball. Think of all those poor hitters who struck out and got sent down. Self righteous *****.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

This whole thing did not start with the '17 Astros. But knocking the Yankees out in '15, '17, and '19 pissed the Yankees off.

fify
halibut sinclair
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/red-sox-manager-alex-cora-s-firing-houston-astros-punishment-ncna1116011
astros4545
AG
n_touch said:

Forgiven_Ag said:

No way that Tyler White was receiving signs or even knew this was going on, didn't you see his at bats?

Ken Giles is the rat

Makes lots of sense
Thinice
astros4545 said:

n_touch said:

Forgiven_Ag said:

Ken Giles is the rat

Makes lots of sense

If anything we were tipping the other team with Flamethrower Giles out there.
First Page Last Page
Page 94 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.