*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,037,112 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MLB wishing they would have just made a statement about Fiers accusations and having a backbone now.

This congressional stuff is ridiculous. But hey, if it means we get to implicate and find out about the rest of the league, let's do it! Haha.

Of all the history of sign stealing in the history of the game and we're gonna take the fall for the entire history? I am ready to burn the self-righteous down.
BullSprig07
AG
Quote:

Best part.... This blowhard made it about the children. Won't somebody think of the children in all this???

I ripped a self-righteous Yankee fan yesterday who tried to play the "think of the children card" (he doesn't even have kids).
I will think of my son, it's a teachable moment. It's a great opportunity to tell him "Don't cheat, do things the right way, Cause if you cheat, even if you win, that's all anyone will remember is that you cheated to get there."
I don't need an act of Congress to teach my kid that.
Beat40
Water Turkey07 said:

Quote:

Best part.... This blowhard made it about the children. Won't somebody think of the children in all this???

I ripped a self-righteous Yankee fan yesterday who tried to play the "think of the children card" (he doesn't even have kids).
I will think of my son, it's a teachable moment. It's a great opportunity to tell him "Don't cheat, do things the right way, Cause if you cheat, even if you win, that's all anyone will remember is that you cheated to get there."
I don't need an act of Congress to teach my kid that.
Exactly.
bluefire579
AG
. . . said:

I'm so glad Congress has solved all the problems currently plaguing America so they can now turn their attention to investigating baseball once again.
the last of the bohemians
Why can't we keep politics out of sports!
Thanks ESPN
Ag_07
AG
Ag_07 said:

So when is Congress gonna hold hearings on electronic sign stealing?

I called this yesterday
themissinglink
AG
Buck Compton said:

. . . said:

And there goes the shark we just jumped over.

These mother ****ers aren't wasting enough time in other areas, now they want to get involved in baseball again?!?! Are they really worried about integrity?!?!

While I agree with you, this may actually be good for the Astros. Sounds like he is interested in the extent to which MLB investigated allegations against other teams.

It's not like Congress is doing much else important these days...
SquirrellyDan
AG
Another article about cheating back in the 90's, this time another al west team...

https://babylonbee.com/news/mlb-investigating-allegations-that-angels-used-divine-assistance-to-win-pennant-in-the-1990s?fbclid=IwAR07-Q9PX_kOFkxpfycwWthJkscSD2A7TY8CciPOvqOKcmgdE13MTwsPhBE
tjack16
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

Another article about cheating back in the 90's, this time another al west team...

https://babylonbee.com/news/mlb-investigating-allegations-that-angels-used-divine-assistance-to-win-pennant-in-the-1990s?fbclid=IwAR07-Q9PX_kOFkxpfycwWthJkscSD2A7TY8CciPOvqOKcmgdE13MTwsPhBE

Huge if true .... I always knew there was something suspicious about that team.
. . .

Quote:

We've had a number of candidates in. There's a nice list. We got some more to go. We're gonna work really hard on that next week and hope to get to a conclusion quick. I'm comfortable that come Spring Training we'll have a guy in the seat, internally or externally. I just want to get a feel for what other managers are doing and their skill sets and go through their resume. Same thing on GM. There's a lot of interest. This is a good ball club. We should have another good season and team is pretty much intact. We'll make additions if we need to. I don't know why a manager wouldn't want to come in & manage these guys.

How much have you done on the GM front?

We've talked to a lot of guys. We got people coming in next week. We'll get a good group. A lot of phone calls coming inbound and we've placed some outbound.
Quote:

We went through it Monday. We made some mistakes. We made a decision to let that get behind us. We think the future is bright. We'll make the adjustments. You got a lot of really smart people in baseball ops, very deep. People think we're in crisis. I certainly don't believe that. We'll be fine. We'll get this behind us, get going & start playing baseball in the Spring.
Quote:

We just gotta find a leader that can handle some pressure. There's gonna be a little bit of pressure with where this team has been the last few months and so someone that can handle that also.

Managerial experience?

It's not mandatory by any means. Certainly experience matters in all sorts of things but it's not necessarily gonna be the driving force.

Narrow down the list?

Not yet. We still have a pretty extensive list. Every time you interview someone, you learn something else. ... We'll narrow down our decision towards the end of next week.

Will the new manager inherit A.J.'s coaching staff?

I would say most of it, if not all of it. We don't know where that's gonna land. Certainly we wouldn't prohibit to add another guy or so but you're not gonna see any wholesale changes. The core group we have is very good.
Quote:

We've talked to all of our Killer B's and they've contacted me and they've all expressed that they'd like to help. Berkman, Bagwell & Biggio all called me and said "If there's anything I can do, I'm here for you." So we'll continue to visit with those guys & see if there's something there.
Quote:

Because that department is so deep & I've interviewed all those guys and they're pretty coordinated in key positions, I think I can keep an eye on that until we get to the next one. It's been difficult this week just to get them in but we'll start bringing in possible GM candidates next week & working all weekend. The deadline is tight but my goal is by the time Spring Training is over, everything is running smooth.
Quote:

We've made that clear to George and his agent so it's on their timetable now. We've cleared up the arbitration and make things a little more comfortable for George. We love George. He's one of our core guys and we hope we can get that done & see if it works.
Pahdz
Well...not ALL the killer B's, I haven't heard Derek Bell weigh in
BullSprig07
AG
Pahdz said:

Wonder if he's heard from that other killer B Beltran?
SquirrellyDan
AG
Pahdz said:

Or Brandon backe
Pahdz
Operation Shutdown was an OG Killer B
k20dub
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Pahdz said:

Wonder if Operation Shutdown 2.0 would come up.
spadilly
S
dixichkn
AG
Wow. The lack of self awareness here is just stupefying.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-yu-darvish-astros-sign-stealing-20200118-xoomk6hvnfhbph5t4ukcfiza4i-story.html

I get it, Yu. Big bad orange team did big bad orange things. But........
YOU WERE AT HOME FOR GAME 7.
YOU. GOT. SHELLED.
NO CAMERAS. NO IMAGINARY BUZZERS. NO NOTHING. (except your lack of composure)

I can see already we're not gonna be able to win a single game for at least the next 5 years without somebody crying about it. Oh well......enjoy the show
Post removed:
by user
Mr.Bond
AG
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mathguy64
AG
Burn it down. Get the hats and gloves ready for inspection boys.
BullSprig07
AG
Wasn't he accused of doing the same thing for his no hitter in Houston?
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906
AG
JJxvi
AG
That another team had been cheating has always been known and corroborated by the sources in the original athletic article. We also now know (but I haven't seen mentioned anywhere by journalists) that this team was either the Rangers or the Yankees because the Astros player and Astros coach implicated in the article have been confirmed in the MLB report to be Carlos Beltran and Alex Cora.

Quote:

Early in the 2017 season, at least two uniformed Astros got together to start the process. One was a hitter who was struggling at the plate and had benefited from sign stealing with a previous team, according to club sources; another was a coach who wanted to help.
Texaggie7nine
https://elitesportsny.com/2020/01/16/mlb-hypocrisy-failing-to-investigate-new-york-yankees-makes-no-sense/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
7nine
bearkatag15
AG
Crane interviewing Dusty Baker officially now

W
AG
Dusty would be my choice if Crane is not going to pick Espada

Mr.Bond
AG
Hire Espada and let's move on!!

Baker is grossly overrated imo. Especially they latter half of his career
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

W
AG
and another mistake MLB made in all this...should have waited closer to the Super Bowl to release the report.

there is just not much going on in the sportsworld right now, so all the attention everyday is on the sign-stealing
JJxvi
AG
If the Astros hire Dusty Baker I am not watching a single game until he is fired. It will be the absolute whiplash of change from analytics based baseball to dumb**** baseball in one year
mwm
I see two keys to the 2020 season:
1. Weather the storm.
2. Win as many ball games as possible to prove the naysayers wrong.
I am ready. Let's get it on.
astros4545
AG
JJxvi said:

If the Astros hire Dusty Baker I am not watching a single game until he is fired. It will be the absolute whiplash of change from analytics based baseball to dumb**** baseball in one year

Showwalter and Dusty Baker don't even know what OPS stands for

I can't speak to John Gibbins, maybe he is more open to new age thought

But Espada seems to be the choice that will not rock the boat.

I could entertain Venables as a possible choice, based on the assumption he is open to newer concepts due to his age
Jackie Daytona
AG
Everywhere except the reds, when dusty baker leaves teams win a World Series. Giants, Cubs, Nationals. Do not want
AustinCountyAg
I can see Crane hiring Dusty or Buck and basically telling them we already have the formula to win we just need you to build relationships with the players and town and take some of the heat off of the team.

Basically we will pay you to sit in the dugout and smile after the team wins and not **** up what we already have.
First Page Last Page
Page 96 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.