*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,237 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Said it before. Watch IBBs and shift numbers very closely. Those will be the obvious tells.
Mr.Ackar07
mathguy86 said:

Said it before. Watch IBBs and shift numbers very closely. Those will be the obvious tells.
If it is anything >1, burn it down!
Bulldog73
AG
Serious question, why not? That's all the more reason I'd want him in that he's there for transition and helps set the team up for success although he doesn't get it himself. I assume because the window is closing now, so his hire would lead us into transition instead of through it?
Ag_07
AG
I get Cranes concern wanting someone with some managerial experience. It's gonna be a shlt show this season and he wants someone who's got some experience with handling things.

With that said I'd take Gibbons. He seems like the middle road. He's also known as a players manager who always has his guys back.

Hell to the no on Baker and Showalter. And don't count out Banister. Word is there is mutual interest. If you asked me to write down the three people I wouldn't ever want managing the Astros it's probably be those three. God I'd hate having to watch Dusty Baker chew on that GD toothpick for an entire season.
gigemJTH12
AG
JJxvi said:

If the Astros hire Dusty Baker I am not watching a single game until he is fired. It will be the absolute whiplash of change from analytics based baseball to dumb**** baseball in one year
well....bye.
Farmer1906
AG
Bregman speaks!

The best comment? "We get a full season of this guy [TED]".
Farmer1906
AG
aTm2004
AG
Haven't thought about this. He can sue, correct?

irish pete ag06
AG

I'm not great at photoshop but inspiration struck.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The best comment? "We get a full season of this guy [TED]".

Not looking forward to all the Ted cheating allegations when he hits 54 dingers this year
Bregxit
AG
aTm2004 said:

Shouldn't be difficult since malice could be easily established.
Mr.Bond
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I can see Crane hiring Dusty or Buck and basically telling them we already have the formula to win we just need you to build relationships with the players and town and take some of the heat off of the team.

Basically we will pay you to sit in the dugout and smile after the team wins and not **** up what we already have.

What benefit would this be? If that's the case then keep Joe and let's go
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

bluefire579
AG
Just had a thing on the ticker during our basketball game about a survey saying fans wanting Astros players punished. Of course they do, anything that hurts us helps their teams do better.

Thanks for the breaking new, ESPN.
W
AG
Dusty Baker is 70 years old. He would just be filling a caretaker role for a season or two. I think he ran a fairly relaxed clubhouse back in the day.

to be fair...don't remember much about Gibbons' time in Toronto. Didn't pay attention to the Blue Jays. He is only 57 years old. Would be a long-term hire
dshedd41
S
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28507148/survey-fans-want-astros-players-punished-sign-stealing-scandal
Gig’em Aggies!
agproducer
AG
Bregxit said:

aTm2004 said:

I think it's a question of libel. Is what Jomboy said on social media considered libel? People say stuff in social media all the time talking about others. I don't know if what he put out there is libel. Was it reckless? Yep.

An attorney would know better than I would though.
W
AG
and speaking of age of the manager...

that is one of the risks of hiring a young manager who is not much older that the veteran players.

sometimes having a little gray hair helps the guy in charge
Bregxit
AG
agproducer said:

Bregxit said:

aTm2004 said:

I think it's a question of libel. Is what Jomboy said on social media considered libel? People say stuff in social media all the time talking about others. I don't know if what he put out there is libel. Was it reckless? Yep.

He is running a full fledged online media company now and his twitter account is a primary piece of that (posting paid position openings for Jomboy Media). I think that puts him at a higher standard than Joe Blow fan spouting off nonsense. I'm not an attorney but I took Dr. Swim's classes and this seems pretty straightforward libel. Damaging comments, malice, etc.
aTm2004
AG
I think he's also getting speaking gigs on NY sports radio/podcasts because of his twitter page.
dixichkn
AG
dshedd41 said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28507148/survey-fans-want-astros-players-punished-sign-stealing-scandal
dixichkn-survey-astros-fans-want-other-8-teams-investigated-fully-if-we're-gonna-have-an-open-book-then-by-God-let's-have-a-totally-open-book
Deluxe
AG
In a weird way, I think Jomboy is being used right now by some snakes who want to use the credibility he established with the banging videos to spread conspiracies they've conjured up to justify their own poor performance against us (ie Bauer). I'm normally not one to defend traditional media sources but guys like Bauer know they can't spread their crap through those channels because they actually ask for substantiation beyond "he didn't want his jersey ripped off".

I honestly do think Jomboy means well, but his problem right now is that he's a little too deep into his Yankee fandom and desire to bring down the Astros to see fact from obvious fiction. Probably also a little drunk on his newfound celebrity.
. . .
CFTXAG10
AG
Deluxe said:

I honestly do think Jomboy means well, but his problem right now is that he's a little too deep into his Yankee fandom and desire to bring down the Astros to see fact from obvious fiction. Probably also a little drunk on his newfound celebrity.
I think he is also what's wrong with sports journalists and other media members unrelated to sports in general. The "rush to be first" regardless of the actual facts. No research, no waiting for confirmation, just float the **** out there and see if something sticks. If it does you get instant credibility, if it doesn't it will wash away once the next big story rolls in to distract. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
dshedd41
S
berkman!
Gig’em Aggies!
n_touch
Not saying that they don't deserve to be in it, but I think they should slow down on the number of people each year. By year three there wont be many left if we stay at these numbers.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Deluxe
AG
Yep it's the problem with such a blurry line rn between actual news reporters and partisan/fan analyzers.

It's become easy for partisan/fan analyzers to pose as actual news reporters and every now and then they break a big story. This leads to people looking to them for news, instead of actual news reporters. So the actual news reporters start acting like partisan/fan analyzers to get attention and the cycle repeats. It ultimately becomes hard for the general public to differentiate between them.
Post removed:
by user
Beat40
DallasAggie97 said:

Should have asked him if we feels proud when he sees the WS banner in the stadium. Or if he feels shame or remorse.

I'm sure there was no cheating going on in your World Series runs, huh? I'm sure you're confident about that right? Especially with all the crap coming out now about electronic device usage well before 2017?

You positive you're clean with Beltran on the Rangers in 2016 after coming from the Yankees, of which were accused and found to be using devices in 2015? Are you sure Beltran didn't help that Rangers team in that second half make up all that ground to win the division and go the the postseason?
Harry Dunne
As he realizes there is a very good chance the Rangers cheated too

In fairness, the Killer Bs likely roided pretty hard and we came out unscathed in that scandal, so this is maybe organizational karma.
Nino Brown
These idiots are too blind to see the truth because they can't handle it. It destroys their narrative because they are sheep. In fact when it does come out they will spin it back to "it was before the commissioners threats."

Once again, the fact that there were no threats after the Yankees in 15 is telling in many many ways.
agproducer
AG
Bregxit said:

agproducer said:

Bregxit said:

aTm2004 said:

He is running a full fledged online media company now and his twitter account is a primary piece of that (posting paid position openings for Jomboy Media). I think that puts him at a higher standard than Joe Blow fan spouting off nonsense. I'm not an attorney but I took Dr. Swim's classes and this seems pretty straightforward libel. Damaging comments, malice, etc.
I didn't know that. I thought he was a blogger or influencer trying to make a name for himself. If he is running a media company, he is held to a higher standard. So, IMO, there is a case for libel.
tjack16
AG
anybody know when the new nike jerseys will go on sale?

They look really solid in all the pics so far from fanfest
CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906
AG
I would give anything for Bregman to do this. I want to turn complete bad guy. Embrace it.

First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.