*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,962 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because he was specifically told to make sure we weren't involved in anything like this and assured Crane we weren't.

Crane trusted him to run a smooth baseball operation and he failed. Like someone said earlier that trust was broken.
n_touch
redline248 said:

For the record, I feel bad for Hinch. I don't feel bad for the players that threw him under the bus.

I'm not sure I feel bad for Lunhow either.

But Mike Fiers can eat all the dicks
Deluxe
AG
MAROON said:

W said:

Harry Stone said:

Im sure Jim Crane was 100% ethical on his climb to becoming a billionaire
Crane must think Luhnow and Hinch are really expendable.

because in the world of sports...you don't clean house in the middle of a championship window.

this is why I compared him to Jerry Jones - who thought he could fire JJ and the championships would continue to flow because everyone in the front office was so damn smart.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. The commissioner's report notes that Crane is very hands off when it comes to baseball operations (basically the opposite of Jerry). I suspect whoever replaces Luhnow will be given the same freedoms that Luhnow had, with the exception of maybe a few extra controls to ensure rule compliance. Crane knows to delegate what he doesn't understand to people that do. Jerry doesn't.

I also think there's a different way of looking at the championship window argument. We're in the middle of ours right now and don't want to burn a year of it with interim guys. If there's an opportunity to bring in qualified candidates now, perhaps it's the right call.
Beat40
redline248 said:

For the record, I feel bad for Hinch. I don't feel bad for the players that threw him under the bus.

I'm not sure I feel bad for Lunhow either.

But Mike Fiers can eat all the dicks
I somewhat feel bad for Hinch, but at the end of the day, he thought his message of taking a bat to the monitor TWICE was enough to send a message. It obviously wasn't.

He should have made it verbally explicit after the first monitor bashing and when the scheme still continued. That does fall on him. He's the leader of the clubhouse, and sometimes you have to make a tough call.
AG
Not sure if sarcastic, but I'll just leave this here....

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/18/sports/baseball/company-led-by-potential-astros-buyer-ran-afoul-of-law.html
Deluxe
AG
My dream manager scenario would be to give Kevin Cash a blank check and try to lure him away from Tampa. I think he's the best manager in baseball.
W
AG
n_touch said:

W said:

Harry Stone said:

Im sure Jim Crane was 100% ethical on his climb to becoming a billionaire
Crane must think Luhnow and Hinch are really expendable.

because in the world of sports...you don't clean house in the middle of a championship window.

just let the furor blow over...and then pick up where you left off
Wait so you do it like the Patriots? What madness that is.....
Luhnow and Hinch should serve their respective suspensions. That is fair.

but they are very good at their jobs (i.e. winning baseball games). Hold off on the quick hook
n_touch
We are thinking the hook is very quick, but I am sure they had a couple days warning on this.
n_touch
Deluxe said:

My dream manager scenario would be to give Kevin Cash a blank check and try to lure him away from Tampa. I think he's the best manager in baseball.
The ink isn't even dry on the punishment for stealing signs, can you imagine what they will do if we steal a manager?
Deluxe
AG
n_touch said:

Deluxe said:

The ink isn't even dry on the punishment for stealing signs, can you imagine what they will do if we steal a manager?

Haha. I highly doubt it happens though. Supposedly Cash and Hinch are good friends.
Teddy Perkins
AG
n_touch said:

We are thinking the hook is very quick, but I am sure they had a couple days warning on this.
Crane said in his presser that he got the news from MLB over the weekend. So he had time to reflect and decide what his response would be.
Teddy Perkins
AG

. . .
Ag_07
AG
Wonder who coaches the AL team in the ASG?

I'm guessing it's be our current manager.
bearkatag15
AG
wangus12
AG
Lot of players on opposing teams playing holier than thou like their ball clubs haven't done or at least tried something similar
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'd assume Boone
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

That's the burning question on everyone's mind right now
irish pete ag06
AG

Amen. Burn this MFer down. Make Manfred look like a *****.
Beat40
Deluxe said:

Ag_07 said:

That's the burning question on everyone's mind right now
Since one player has to be represented form each team, do you think they are going to select an injured player as ours this year?
Beat40
wangus12 said:

Lot of players on opposing teams playing holier than thou like their ball clubs haven't done or at least tried something similar
Eh, F'em. They're cool with all kinds of cheating.
Harry Stone
AG
1996 said:

Not sure if sarcastic, but I'll just leave this here....

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/18/sports/baseball/company-led-by-potential-astros-buyer-ran-afoul-of-law.html

yes, i was being sarcastic
TMACsDaMan
Who are the manager candidates?
rak1693
AG
I would assume Espada in the interim but hopefully we can start a search soon, before the Red Sox do. I imagine it will be a slow-moving search.
Wabs
AG
I assume MLB will come down just as hard on the Red Sox if allegations against them are proven?

Cen-Tex
AG
Biggie/Bagwell co-managers has a nice ring
bilbobag
This awesome:

" Also, if I'm the Astros, I am whistling, clapping, and banging garbage cans randomly all year long.
Without the sign stealing, it's just to mess with pitchers heads. It will work too. I'm doing until MLB demands I stop. I'm screwing with everyone this year."
YNWA_AG
AG
Was not impressed with biggio at sth
McInnis
AG
Cen-Tex said:

Biggie/Bagwell co-managers has a nice ring
I think they're both too intense and take the game too seriously to manage today's players.

How about Dierker for one year?
3B Paul 97
AG
Can someone clarify: was this activity only taking place for home games?
CFTXAG10
AG
ClickClack
AG
If it's already been made clear that Cora was essentially the brains behind this, why wasn't a penalty already handed out to him? Why does it matter what comes of the red sox investigation?

What worries me is this setting up for a mild slap on the wrist or nothing if they are able to hide the cheating since Cora arrived in Boston. But he should still be held accountable for what he did in Houston. Without him it sounds like none of this happens, and we are just looking forward to another season of Astros baseball right now.
bilbobag
My understanding is yes.
n_touch
CFTXAG10 said:

Roy O coming through like a bulldozer
amercer
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Can someone clarify: was this activity only taking place for home games?

Yes.

And they hit just as well on the road.

And they didn't stop because they got caught, they stopped because the players decided it didn't work.

Trying to cheat is still wrong, even if it doesn't help.
First Page Last Page
Page 71 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.