*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,497 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

Harry Stone said:

Im sure Jim Crane was 100% ethical on his climb to becoming a billionaire
Crane must think Luhnow and Hinch are really expendable.

because in the world of sports...you don't clean house in the middle of a championship window.

this is why I compared him to Jerry Jones - who thought he could fire JJ and the championships would continue to flow because everyone in the front office was so damn smart.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
agproducer
AG
I'm surprised we have seen no Astros players -- other than Myles Straw -- saying anything about this. Twitter reports are that players are fuming. I haven't seen anything.
Ag_07
AG
W said:

the last of the bohemians said:

What are the odds that Correa was a sellout in the interviews?

there is potential for clubhouse issues...as the players wonder who said what...and who said too much

Man you really want this to be a clubhouse issue. Everyone told the truth and MLB made their decision. I don't think anyone threw anyone under the bus or anything like that.

I think if anything I could see the players coming together and trying and win this thing in spite of all this. Maybe even some do it for AJ t-shirts or something. They're gonna be pissed and ready to take it to MLB.
Ag_07
AG
And my dark horse managerial candidate...Geoff Blum
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.bigdogshirts.com/view/16423/keep-calm-and-listen-to-aj-hinch-houston-baseball-fan-t-shirt?gclid=CjwKCAiAx_DwBRAfEiwA3vwZYmlSE0gPoe4qbK-ApYOKZoIJf4mGXGHlu3tBvslM3ahgX6v9YHlxZxoC158QAvD_BwE

Thinking about getting this for some games next season and wearing it around MMP...

Or this one

AggiEE
ClickClack said:

This is unreal. If everything pretty much happened in 2017 before stricter rules why are we getting hammered?

Also, **** Alex Cora. Not ok that Hinch and Luhnow are gone for this.

Wasn't this because the Astros continued to do it after Manfred gave the warning?
Teddy Perkins
AG
W said:

What are the odds that Correa was a sellout in the interviews?

there is potential for clubhouse issues...as the players wonder who said what...and who said too much
I'm sure Crane, and to some extent Hinch, told the players to be honest and fall on the sword during their interviews. That does two things. First, helps keep players from being suspended - they can't suspend the entire team. Second, where the order comes from the top, there can't really be any blowback for players answering questions honestly.
W
AG
I hope so.

but baseball players are people too. And in any organization when the boss gets fired (for whatever reason) there is great potential for issues within the ranks. Especially if the boss was well-liked.

and the way MLB conducted the investigation...does not help the situation
Bulldog73
AG
Except for the Black Sox, but that's a whole different level.
bearkatag15
AG

Luhnow just dumped everything on Cora and the players
Bulldog73
AG
Didn't the report specifically do that too?
Miles Finch
I wonder if the loss of draft picks will be supplemented by trading a core player for young prospects?
Mr.Bond
AG
Miles Finch said:

I wonder if the loss of draft picks will be supplemented by trading a core player for young prospects?

No
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

redline248
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Didn't the report specifically do that too?

Yes, with the one caveat that Lunhow at least knew something was going on. Or rather, he should have based on emails addressed to him, and he didn't read them or ignored them.

I suspect that Manfred bringing up the culture thing had a big impact on Crane.
wangus12
AG
Ag_07 said:

And my dark horse managerial candidate...Geoff Blum

Can't do that. I need him in the box lol
the last of the bohemians
Replace #takeitback with #2020revengetour
MAROON
AG

Replace #takeitback with #2020revengetour
#mikefiersisadeadman
bilbobag
Luhnow throwing Cora and certain players under the bus.. However, my gut says he knew something and looked the other way.
BMX Bandit
The players are fuming that their cheating has consequences to the guy they threw under the bus?
Bulldog73
AG
I do feel like Lunhow was throwing AJ under the bus too. "If I would've known..."
redline248
AG
BMX Bandit said:

The players are fuming that their cheating has consequences to the guy they threw under the bus?

Exactly. The "we only did it bc AJ didn't say we couldn't" bit gives them no right to be pissed
MAROON
AG
bilbobag said:

Luhnow throwing Cora and certain players under the bus.. However, my gut says he knew something and looked the other way.
the official investigation says otherwise, and those I know who have talked with Jeff say he is adamant he knew nothing of it.
redline248
AG
Also, Lunhow seems like the kind of guy that knows everything about not only his club, but all 29 others
David_Puddy
AG
Muy said:

wangus12 said:

The real suck is gonna be listening to DFW radio stations beat each other off over this on the way to and from work.

Because it wouldn't happen in Houston if the roles were reversed.

You're such a blowhard Melty
Bregxit
AG
redline248 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Exactly. The "we only did it bc AJ didn't say we couldn't" bit gives them no right to be pissed
They have every right to be pissed at Crane. Many successful sports teams have stood by their coaches or managers after getting in trouble for far worse.

Be ready to say goodbye to every Astro you love because they're all going to jump ship when they hit free agency.
Ag_07
AG
I mean that's a fair statement.

It wasn't under his direction but he takes responsibility for it because ultimately it falls under him as president.

I also think this is a situation where it wasn't that it happened but Crane was essentially lied to when he specifically told JL to make sure we weren't doing anything.
Harry Stone
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Luhnow just dumped everything on Cora and the players

good for him
agproducer
AG
What a disaster! But, you know what? We still have a WS title, ALCS appearance, WS appearance in three straight years.

Sports are cyclical with ups and downs. We still have our core together, at least for this year and some of next.

I still support this team. I've been a fan since I was 5. That isn't going to change.

What is pathetic is fans from other teams reveling in this because their teams are nowhere near the Astros caliber.

The AL West will be a dogfight this year. I hope the Astros play with a major, major chip on their shoulder and destroy the MLB.

You know Bregman will be out to prove everyone wrong. Fiers needs to look out. I wouldn't be surprised if he pitches just slightly inside to one of the Astros, then the batter immediately goes after him.

Kashchei
AG
This just sucks. Bad. Luhnow was the mastermind. Back to mediocrity.
n_touch
W said:

Harry Stone said:

Im sure Jim Crane was 100% ethical on his climb to becoming a billionaire
Crane must think Luhnow and Hinch are really expendable.

because in the world of sports...you don't clean house in the middle of a championship window.

just let the furor blow over...and then pick up where you left off
Wait so you do it like the Patriots? What madness that is.....
Ags #1
AG
If that is true why fire him? Crane must not have believed him?
the last of the bohemians
Everyone uses analytics now...this team will win 100 games this year regardless of who calls the shots.
Don't underestimate how motivating this will be...
bilbobag
I am not going to get into who knows more or who know who. So I am just going to say we need to agree to disagree.
redline248
AG
For the record, I feel bad for Hinch. I don't feel bad for the players that threw him under the bus.

I'm not sure I feel bad for Lunhow either.

But Mike Fiers can eat all the dicks
Cromagnum
AG
"I accept responsibility, but I didnt do it" ?
First Page Last Page
Page 70 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.