*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,712 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ClickClack said:

If it's already been made clear that Cora was essentially the brains behind this, why wasn't a penalty already handed out to him? Why does it matter what comes of the red sox investigation?

What worries me is this setting up for a mild slap on the wrist or nothing if they are able to hide the cheating since Cora arrived in Boston. But he should still be held accountable for what he did in Houston. Without him it sounds like none of this happens, and we are just looking forward to another season of Astros baseball right now.

I think the Red Sox organizational penalty will be a bit less than ours (lower fine, loss of one year of picks instead of 2) but also think there's a chance Cora's penalty will be steeper than Luhnow and Hinch (possible lifetime ban).
Cedar09
Meanwhile the Patriots are just cruising along.....
ClickClack
AG
Right. Seems like they should've slapped a penalty on Cora already, and investigate further to see how to punish the red sox if at all.
themissinglink
AG
Post removed:
by user
Deluxe
AG
Hopefully those 8 instances magically find their way to Evan Drellich
Deluxe
AG
Maybe part of the reason Crane was willing to take it in the butt today is because he's been given assurances the other 8 will be punished accordingly.
Frok
AG
Deluxe said:

Maybe part of the reason Crane was willing to take it in the butt today is because he's been given assurances the other 8 will be punished accordingly.

Crane is only interested in protecting himself.
suburban cowboy
AG
This is a complete ****ing joke of a political hit-job.

You won't change my mind.
eATMup-Reveille
Fiers appropriately wears canary yellow.
Post removed:
by user
amercer
AG
I wouldn't hold your breath on that. Likely if it were true MLB would have announced those investigations already.
3B Paul 97
AG
Could we still get compensation picks for FAs leaving?
aTm2004
AG
wangus12
AG
themissinglink said:

These mofos better each see some sort of penalty.
AggiEE
So the players and owner gets off scott free

GM and coach thrown under the bus even though they didn't find anything on them

Makes total sense (not), but Manfred knows who signs his check so the high value targets were untouchable just like they were in the steroid era.

Lunhow's suspension makes me the most upset in all of this, doesn't seem legal that something like this can happen
amercer
AG
His people were running the scheme, and he ran a department that led them to think it was a good idea.

It sucks, but when your the boss, you are responsible
themissinglink
AG
As much as I love the Astros, I've never been a Jim Crane fan. When he was in the process of buying the Astros, I heard from several clients some not so great stories about business interactions with him. If you remember when McLane sold him the team, Crane's purchase was held up longer than usual while MLB investigated EEOC complaints. Crane eventually got approved after playing the "but I have black friends" card by showing off he was golfing buddies with Obama and getting a prominent member of the black community to write a letter supporting him.

The firing of Luhnow combined with the demotion of Reid Ryan in favor of his son feels like Crane's attempt to Jerry Jones the team.

From the Chronicle's 2000 article on the EEOC settlement:
Quote:

Crane told his subordinates not to hire blacks because "once you hire blacks, you can never fire them." On other occasions, Crane explained the reason he wanted to keep blacks out of the company was that his top managers are bigoted and they would mistreat the minorities, "giving them no choice but to sue Eagle."

Witnesses also said Crane did not permit the company to advertise job openings because he did not want to create a paper trail of unhired qualified minorities.

To discourage blacks and women from applying, Eagle managers refused to let female and minority applicants enter its secured facilities to fill out job applications. Eagle disagreed with that assessment.
Crane also warned managers not to hire women of child-bearing age because their productivity would be low. And top company officers told employees that women aren't suitable for management positions because male managers won't work with a woman.
MAROON
AG
AggiEE said:

Makes total sense (not), but Manfred knows who signs his check so the high value targets were untouchable just like they were in the steroid era.

Lunhow's suspension makes me the most upset in all of this, doesn't seem legal that something like this can happen

There is going to be a bidding war for Lunhow - don't be surprised if he heads across the pond to a Premier league team
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
the last of the bohemians
After jones fired jimmy, they won another title on the talent at hand...
aTm2004
AG
MAROON said:

AggiEE said:

There is going to be a bidding war for Lunhow - don't be surprised if he heads across the pond to a Premier league team

****, he can stay in Houston and just drive to the building off of Kirby.
AggieLit
National media is coming at us hard, esp. USAToday for whatever reason. Disgraced, tainted legacy, etc. I have a bad feeling that the people who write baseball history are going to make our 2017 title the equivalent of Barry Bonds' home run record. Everyone here knows that isn't true, we won on the road in LA, etc., but the narrative is going haywire.
themissinglink
AG
Someone posted this on the Houston board thread...

wangus12
AG
MAROON said:

AggiEE said:

Dear God please Arsenal
Mathguy64
AG
wangus12 said:

MAROON said:

AggiEE said:

Dear God please ArsenalManU

FIFY

W
AG
AggiEE said:

I agree. This stinks.

the firings bother me the most.

that was Crane piling on 2 guys that won him a championship and put almost 3 million fans in MMP the past 2 years
Teddy Perkins
AG
Disagree. Crane got rid of Hinch and Luhnow to put this behind the organization, change the narrative and probably to protect the team against harsher sanctions.
Bregxit
AG
MAROON said:

AggiEE said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rangers back up a Brinks truck to get him to turn their organization around and throw a giant FU to Houston.
Beat40
AggieLit said:

National media is coming at us hard, esp. USAToday for whatever reason. Disgraced, tainted legacy, etc. I have a bad feeling that the people who write baseball history are going to make our 2017 title the equivalent of Barry Bonds' home run record. Everyone here knows that isn't true, we won on the road in LA, etc., but the narrative is going haywire.

Should have come out swinging today if you knew 8 other teams were doing something similar.

Laying back and taking it does not reduce negative publicity.

I don't understand why executives don't understand this!
Post removed:
by user
Beat40
DAMN. Cora has to be done with baseball after that.

This is why if you are another player you better be very careful what you are saying right now.

How can MLB see that and not say more is going on?
Bulldog73
AG
I agree, but I think crane is scared crapless of the threat of vacating the title.
Nino Brown
I truly find it hard to believe that a guy like Luhnow knew nothing as well.
iBrad
AG
Cora basically alluding to the Yankees stealing their signs. It's going to be interesting to see what happens once the Yankees are a part of this. I'm sure they're one of the eight teams we had proof on.
JCA1
AG
Based on what the league could actually establish, the penalties seem excessive to me. No indication Luhnow even knew what was going on. Hinch knew and did not approve but didn't do enough to stop it or report it to his superiors. I get that but, man, he was in a tough spot. Middle of a World Series run and basically he had to tell on his players. Guaranteed way to lose the locker room.

Don't like the firings but, right or wrong, they lost their boss $5 mill plus the PR black eye and loss of draft picks. Most lose their jobs when they do that to their employer.
First Page Last Page
Page 72 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.